Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So just don't use methane as the fuel? It's already got the usability issue of being gas, such that it's only really suitable for networks like residential housing instead of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You can make jet fuel the same way you make gasoline with water and air. The navy is wxpermenting with doing it on carriers with the excess thermal energy from the reactor.

They've wanted something like that for a while. A long time ago as an undergrad we modeled a system that had a hydrogen generator that used the waste heat from a PWR cycle in one of my nuclear engineering classes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Aircraft carriers and submarines are a cool example of what can be done when there's power to spare - effectively unlimited water and oxygen among other things.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

They've wanted something like that for a while. A long time ago as an undergrad we modeled a system that had a hydrogen generator that used the waste heat from a PWR cycle in one of my nuclear engineering classes.

Odd request perhaps, but would you have a good recommendation on textbooks for reactor design and economics? Especially if it has PHWR or the CANDU types. It's on my "to get" list for my engineering textbook library hobby.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

When you have environmentalist groups like the NRDC working in secret with oil companies to write climate regulations, I have little hope complex schemes like carbon neutral hydrocarbon fuels won’t be similarly undermined.

Speaking of this, I heard someone claim that the NRDC was in part founded by a oil a a wealthy oilman to help kill off competition (in this case, nuclear). Can anyone comment on this, or was this pure tinfoil hat nuttery?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Agreed, my point was more that we need to have a fuel with a similar energy density and composition as avtur. Hopefully this is achievable with renewable energy inputs, soon.

We already have that, it's called kerosene.

edit: To be more concise, any hydrocarbon is synthesisable by using H2O and CO2 as an input. You just toss the oxygen out and make whatever hydrocarbon chain you desire. Obviously kerosene is a blend of various hydrocarbons and comes in various grades, but you can make a hydrocarbon that has the same properties.

Anyways, the point is it's achievable now. Making kerosene, or gasoline, or any hydrocarbon is basically the same. Even if your process doesn't yield the right type of hydrocarbon, you can still do chemistry to make it what you want. In fact, we already do a lot of that hydrocarbon chemistry already when we refine fuels and make chemicals. It's all cracking long chains or pushing small chains together.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 30, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Dipshit posted:

Odd request perhaps, but would you have a good recommendation on textbooks for reactor design and economics? Especially if it has PHWR or the CANDU types. It's on my "to get" list for my engineering textbook library hobby.

We used ISBN 978-1-4613-5866-4 Nuclear Reactor Engineering, Glasstone and Sesonske

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

EoRaptor posted:

If we choose to go this method, as opposed to directly using electricity in batteries for transport, we could also choose a cleaner burning fuel than gasoline. Ethanol is probably the immediate candidate, but probably anything from the alcohol family would be good. Most engines can be tuned for it, and we already mandate E85 in new vehicles/engines.

Jet engines tend to be very friendly about burning different fuels, so an artificial kerosene or similar fuel should be totally doable. Related to that, there are a number of companies that are in the prototype or preproduction phase for short haul electric planes, seating between 1 to 12 people. While these are aimed at the corporate jet market, if the tech could be adapted/adopted by the civil market, it would be a huge boon. AvGas is nasty, and getting rid of all the old 60's era Cessna's (etc) that are still flying would be a good cut to some of the uglier pollution we dump in the air.

Aviation is probably the technically hardest area to replace fuels in. While granted turbines are not all that fussy about what they burn, energy density alone means replacing Jet-A with other fuels is a big, big ask. When it comes to electric generation, we could replace all fossil fuel power plants now with clean alternatives; with aviation, the opposite is true. Unless you assume radically higher density energy storage for batteries, electric aircraft are a PR stunt. Some good news, all the same: the aviation industry has been obsessed with fuel economy for decades, and new engines are staggeringly efficient. TL;DR if you believe in working from the low hanging fruit first, it's gonna be a long time before aircraft get within range.

The only aircraft that can adopt fuel cells right now? Airships. While I suppose you could pick all sorts of fuel for fuel cells, airships are the only aircraft (hell, maybe the only vehicle) that could happy run on hydrogen gas, as it could store the gas in large external cells that would add to its static lift.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Aviation is probably the technically hardest area to replace fuels in. While granted turbines are not all that fussy about what they burn, energy density alone means replacing Jet-A with other fuels is a big, big ask.

Related article from a few months back:

quote:

Energy density — the amount of energy stored in a given system — is the key metric, and today’s batteries don’t contain enough energy to get most planes off the ground. To weigh it out: jet fuel gives us about 43 times more energy than a battery that’s just as heavy.

Could energy storage technology improve significantly in the future? It is possible with battery energy density rising by 5 to 8 percent per year. For batteries to be at a point where they make sense in small-scale aviation, they will need to achieve about five times their current density. At the current pace of battery and electric engine technology, it probably won’t be until 2030 that even hybrid electric technology is used in commercial aviation.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/14/17686706/electric-airplane-flying-car-battery-weight-green-energy-travel

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

What's more, an aircraft reduces its weight as it consumes the fuel. Batteries don't get lighter.

Still, battery aircraft already make sense as General Aviation Trainers (far lower fuel and TCO), and may eventually make sense for General Aviation in general.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

We used ISBN 978-1-4613-5866-4 Nuclear Reactor Engineering, Glasstone and Sesonske

Thanks, on my "to buy" list now.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aircraft carriers and submarines are a cool example of what can be done when there's power to spare - effectively unlimited water and oxygen among other things.

Wow, that's awesome! We should really use whatever those ships use for power, but for civilian purposes too!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VideoGameVet posted:

What's more, an aircraft reduces its weight as it consumes the fuel. Batteries don't get lighter.

Still, battery aircraft already make sense as General Aviation Trainers (far lower fuel and TCO), and may eventually make sense for General Aviation in general.

You can try floating that in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, but don't be surprised if it goes down a little spicy

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

IronClaymore posted:

Wow, that's awesome! We should really use whatever those ships use for power, but for civilian purposes too!

I'm honestly curious if this refining could happen with the leftover slack power plants otherwise just discharge into the earth at three AM

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm honestly curious if this refining could happen with the leftover slack power plants otherwise just discharge into the earth at three AM

Sure, most of the proposals talk about using excess wind or solar for those kinds of plans since overbuilding them is so cheap.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nebakenezzer posted:

You can try floating that in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, but don't be surprised if it goes down a little spicy

We'll see how this plays out in the next decade, but there are battery based trainers now being offered.

The schools hold on to aircraft for a long time, so this won't be like autos. Will take far longer.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, most of the proposals talk about using excess wind or solar for those kinds of plans since overbuilding them is so cheap.

It’s probably absurdly impractical, but carbon mitigation by using excess solar/wind capacity to pull Oil out of the air would be pretty cool. Just put it in a barrel and bury it somewhere.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Fly Molo posted:

It’s probably absurdly impractical, but carbon mitigation by using excess solar/wind capacity to pull Oil out of the air would be pretty cool. Just put it in a barrel and bury it somewhere.

Pump manmade crude back down the wells :laffo:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

We'll see how this plays out in the next decade, but there are battery based trainers now being offered.

Whats the range, useful load and charge time?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

poo poo, at this point it’s highly likely we will have to do something equivalent to that in addition to completely transforming our economy. If it’s too expensive we’re just going to have to eat the cost.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fly Molo posted:

The most comical way to solve the renewable storeable energy problem

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats the range, useful load and charge time?

Let me get the specs on the one I have seen:

Pipistrel Alpha Electro 2-seat electric trainer:

Payload: 200 kg
Endurance: Up to 60 min (+ reserve).
Take off over 50' obstacle MTOW: 885 feet (270 m)

The 17 kWh battery pack is dual-redundant and designed to be either quickly replaceable within minutes (swappable) or charged in less than one hour.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

poo poo, at this point it’s highly likely we will have to do something equivalent to that in addition to completely transforming our economy. If it’s too expensive we’re just going to have to eat the cost.

I don't know if this pilot factory worked or not... but apparently build with it!

https://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/building-materials-from-carbon-dioxide-emissions_o

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

The most comical way to solve the renewable storeable energy problem

Optional: place billionaires in the barrels before burying them.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as stupid as it sounds we are absolutely 100% past the point where we need "reverse oil wells" where we synthesize liquid hydrocarbons and then pump it back down into them

which may sound dumb, but once you "get" it then you realize just how much dumber the general notion of carbon capture is than simply stop pumping/burning the poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Let me get the specs on the one I have seen:

Pipistrel Alpha Electro 2-seat electric trainer:

Payload: 200 kg
Endurance: Up to 60 min (+ reserve).
Take off over 50' obstacle MTOW: 885 feet (270 m)

The 17 kWh battery pack is dual-redundant and designed to be either quickly replaceable within minutes (swappable) or charged in less than one hour.

That aircraft appears to be incapable of the 100nm cross country flight required for a PPL?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

hobbesmaster posted:

That aircraft appears to be incapable of the 100nm cross country flight required for a PPL?

Nah it can easily clear 100 nanometers.

:)

Looks like it's got a pretty good glide profile. Just wait for a day with good thermals!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just eject the batteries as they run out to save weight, if over land they can be turned in for a deposit by scavenging rural children, if over the ocean then it's legal and fun.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Baronjutter posted:

Just eject the batteries as they run out to save weight, if over land they can be turned in for a deposit by scavenging rural children, if over the ocean then it's legal and fun.

But if you do that they can hurt someone.

You have to eject them upward, into the sun.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

StabbinHobo posted:

as stupid as it sounds we are absolutely 100% past the point where we need "reverse oil wells" where we synthesize liquid hydrocarbons and then pump it back down into them

which may sound dumb, but once you "get" it then you realize just how much dumber the general notion of carbon capture is than simply stop pumping/burning the poo poo.

You got the order wrong.
Permanent carbon capture requires stopping the usage of fossil fuels in exchange.
Using fossil fuels to capture carbon would be idiotic.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

You got the order wrong.
Permanent carbon capture requires stopping the usage of fossil fuels in exchange.
Using fossil fuels to capture carbon would be idiotic.

my whole point is that the order is wrong

i said nothing of using fossil fuels to power it

for someone with "Lurking" in your name you should... more.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

StabbinHobo posted:

my whole point is that the order is wrong

i said nothing of using fossil fuels to power it

for someone with "Lurking" in your name you should... more.

You wrote that "simply stopping pumping/burning that poo poo" is better than the general notion of carbon capture.
"Reverse oil wells" require that you "stop pumping/burning that poo poo". What would be the point if you pump in what you pump out?
You have to be carbon neutral in energy generation to be carbon negative in carbon capture.

Your stabbin' skills are lacking.
Or maybe I just didn't "get" it?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Even if we all magically woke up to an entirely carbon neutral world tomorrow morning, it would still be smart (although much less pressing) to start sucking carbon back out of the air and restore the planet to pre-industrial levels. Carbon capture isn't gonna solve the immediate pressing problem but it's still cool and good.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

Or maybe I just didn't "get" it?
yea i can't tell where your brain is making some wrong assumption but it clearly is, try re-reading the last few pages or asking questions

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Even if we all magically woke up to an entirely carbon neutral world tomorrow morning, it would still be smart (although much less pressing) to start sucking carbon back out of the air and restore the planet to pre-industrial levels. Carbon capture isn't gonna solve the immediate pressing problem but it's still cool and good.

Yeah the danger to carbon capture plans comes entirely around deploying it to allow the continued use of carbon emitting technologies. I completely understand why its hard to separate the two when we all know some of the most powerful industries in the world will be pushing hard to market "carbon neutral" gasoline.

Guess which industry wants us to pay big bucks to put carbon in the same geologic formations they emptied to pollute the carbon in the first place?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Given the skill set involved, we'll probably be paying those companies to pump carbon into the ground anyways, since they're the ones with the work force around drilling and moving liquids.

Anyways, its kind of our own fault we didnt slap a 300% tax on gas 30 years ago.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Given the skill set involved, we'll probably be paying those companies to pump carbon into the ground anyways, since they're the ones with the work force around drilling and moving liquids.

Anyways, its kind of our own fault we didnt slap a 300% tax on gas 30 years ago.
30 years ago we were still weary of the 1972 Oil Embargo. Who'd be able to drive anywhere with those prices? :shrug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah the danger to carbon capture plans comes entirely around deploying it to allow the continued use of carbon emitting technologies. I completely understand why its hard to separate the two when we all know some of the most powerful industries in the world will be pushing hard to market "carbon neutral" gasoline.

Guess which industry wants us to pay big bucks to put carbon in the same geologic formations they emptied to pollute the carbon in the first place?
Nationalize them, then we can leverage their assets to do it ourselves.

Carbon capture and sequestration in the "reverse oil well" sense as discussed on this page seems to me like it is inevitable eventually, assuming we can get to zero emissions first. Like in our wildest dreams where we somehow wrest control of the world away from billionaires, completely de-carbonize our electrical grid and manage to get emissions down to zero by 2050, we'd still be inhabiting a planet with dangerously elevated CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere. At that point we will still want to remove CO2 from the atmosphere.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Somehow we'll create the mother of all oil spills in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Killing all billionaires& burrying their carcasses in the ocean floor is the only type of carbon sequestration we have around here, comrade :hai: