Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I want the moon, I want the freetime I had when I was 15 to play for 10 hours in a row lol.

Consider supporting a guaranteed minimum income or some other form of basic income, then the old school MMO model will have its second renaissance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Asherons Call was great, I wish that game didn't have to shut down. Apparently the only thing that actually killed it was that it was using licensed software to run it's servers and it cost something like $10,000 a year. If Turbine had their own server software for the game then it would still be alive.

There is a working emulator that works up to ToD and has a decent server pop from what I hear. They just wiped it too.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
I just want Age of Wushu but not befuddled with chinese jank/business model.

But then I guess that wouldn't be chinagame.exe so...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
unfortunately I'm one of the lunatics.

I want:

-ESO-like quests (I'm only level 12 in morrowind but its blowing me away with how HQ it feels vs like... wow) + ESO emotes cause /sick won't ever get old.

-FFXIV main scenario story,

-FFXI horizontal gear progression. Old gear is still relevant for specific instances, scenarios spells/abilities. FFXI's gearswap add-on changes the game completely. Suddenly all this weird niche gear is useful cause you can swap into it for those instances, and most of it is automatic. For example, you can have a Precast set that has fast cast+ on it so you can hit the 80% fast cast cap (so you cast the spell super fast) that then auto switches into damage modifying gear to finish the spell, then it auto switches back to idle set / engaged sets. We're talking like 30-48 pieces of gear in this one use scenario alone! [16 Precast -> 16 MidCast -> 16 Idle/Damage reduction set].

You still need the gear though. But it makes so much gear relevant, even weird specific pieces that never would've been used in vanilla. I probably have like 100 pieces of gear alone for one class, but it's my primary focus, and a lot of it can be shared with other classes. Thankfully the game acknowledges this space requirement because you use all jobs/classes on one character and gives you 160 slots of inventory specifically for gear, that you can pay $2 a month to expand to 320 slots.

---Because of the horizontal gear, and the age of the game there's a ridiculous amount of poo poo you can do. A lot of it solo, much of it with groups. Of course, the game is not shy about being a lovely loving MMO so you can expect things to take literal months or weeks to farm, obtain, work toward. This isn't really about specific pieces of gear that drop very rarely (Although those DO exist for those lunatics that want them), but ultimate weapon grinds.

So FFXI doesn't shy away from requiring you to obtain 30,000 trinkets to turn into an NPC to simply unlock a weapon? 30,000 objects that you can either get 1200-1750 a month from a specific event, or farm once per hour for 150-200 pieces at a time. Or pay about 175m gil for. Or what everyone else does, you buy it from another server with cold hard cash. As an aside, the anger against cash shops are really just a visibility issue, because if a game doesn't include them, the cash shops still exist, they're just simply shuffled off to black market RMT back-alleys. Although I think it is well placed when the things being sold in them are ONLY available through them, rather than as a secondary method.

-A mix of automated and non-automated combat, This really only applies if the combat is... everquesty or kind of slow. But it can work for more... 'active' games. Cause honestly, running scripts and bots shooting the poo poo with people while your character does all the work on its own is WAY more interesting to watch and "play" in XI than actually doing things by hand. But having the ABILITY to take manual control for specific situations that require it, say bosses or sticky scenarios, makes up for it being more interesting. Alternatively, I'd take what a lot of other people are saying, heavy dark souls combat.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I said come in! posted:

Asherons Call was great, I wish that game didn't have to shut down. Apparently the only thing that actually killed it was that it was using licensed software to run it's servers and it cost something like $10,000 a year. If Turbine had their own server software for the game then it would still be alive.

They actually brought AC2 back for a while, it was really fun. What actually killed them was that it had one Dev who actually understood how to even get it running (Severlin) and when Standing Stone split, they got Sev but not the rights to Asheron's Call.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man, FFXI loving broke people's brains. I think there is (was?) a thread in FYAD about FFXI where they never paced back and forth out of boredom in a video game before. Yeah that sounds about right.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
https://reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/ac7vez/is_riot_games_working_on_an_mmorpg_entitled/

It seems as if my original post here is possibly coming true?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

quote:

Back in July Marc Merrill, co-founder of Riot Games and a man who has a history of running his mouth about subjects he should not be talking about, asked out of nowhere on Twitter what people thought about Riot Games developing an MMO. He quickly backtracked saying this was not confirmation that Riot Games is working on an MMO but when pressed he refused to deny the possibility. Since then he has actually kept talking about the subject; openly asking people what they think a Riot Games MMO would look like and wondering about what made WoW so successful and what it would take to compete with WoW directly. Nor is he the only one, Greg Street starts making comments around the same time talking about if he were working on MMORPG things he would do differently from WoW.

I hope at this point big shot game devs realize the reason for WoW's continuing(?) success is that it's a legacy game, and that your new game can't compete with WoW because it won't be a legacy game. If WoW launched today in its present state you'd probably have a ton of people play for a month due to the popularity of Blizzard and the IP and then the population would crater just like every other traditional MMO from the past 6+ years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A League of Legends MMORPG would probably be the game to overthrow World of Warcraft and re-energize the MMORPG genre.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

I said come in! posted:

A League of Legends MMORPG would probably be the game to overthrow World of Warcraft and re-energize the MMORPG genre.

Re-energize the gaming market as a whole.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I said come in! posted:

legit don't know if you're kidding or not

....but I sure as well would play it!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol forever if they did their stupid lore revamp for an mmo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frajaq posted:

legit don't know if you're kidding or not

....but I sure as well would play it!

I know that sounds absurd, but League of Legends is legit the most popular video game of all time and to this day still is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no it isn't. fortnite is more popular.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

no it isn't. fortnite is more popular.

Of All Time, I don’t think so.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
can't wait for the fortnite mmo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Spam Musubi posted:

According to some wiki list and by a metric I didn't pay attention to it's Tetris, Minecraft and GTAV.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah lol wasn't the most popular of all time either (for example dota1 had as many matches in china on its three biggest clients as league had worldwide at its height). and i was just speaking of now.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah lol wasn't the most popular of all time either (for example dota1 had as many matches in china on its three biggest clients as league had worldwide at its height). and i was just speaking of now.

Glenn Quebec posted:

According to some wiki list and by a metric I didn't pay attention to it's Tetris, Minecraft and GTAV.

Ohhhh explains a lot. But still I want a LoL MMORPG this year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Spam Musubi posted:

I think Fortnite is the most well known game of the last five years in the US.

Athletes play Fortnite and do the in game dance emotes as celebrations. Drake played the game with the top Fortnite streamer. They do news stories about it on Today and GMA. It has huge mainstream popularity.

They profited 3 billion last year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aaod posted:

DDO had some platforming stuff that was really fun, but only like one or two dungeons from what I remember actually had a lot of it and they were usually more like puzzles than combat related. Kind of a shame they were actually really good dungeons from what I remember.

Destiny did them in raids, and they were really cool, but since you didn't have to do that stuff the rest of the game it was a real surprise and frustrating for some players which I understand. I'd love to see a game more built around that style of gameplay the whole time. Or even purely platforming, with no combat at all. That'd be interesting.

Bogus Adventure posted:

DC Universe Online when it went Free to Play was my favorite moment in MMOs because the PvP was so balanced that if you knew what you were doing you could totally kick a level 30 player's rear end even if you were level 1. Also, there would be massive brawls between heroes and villains in the PvP instance. The game encouraged you to fight each other, so getting knocked out would simply take you out of action for 10 seconds and then you'd respawn in a safe place It loving ruled.

DCUO is great and underrated IMO. I played city of heroes and it was just a typical wow MMORPG with a superhero skin. So I ignored DCUO for a long time as basically the same thing, but it really felt way better to play.

DCUO to me fundamentally isn't like a straight MMORPG. Its an MMO-beat-em-up. They're pretty similar, but there's something significant about DCUO's design which is fresh and different from all the standard MMO fare. And getting to fly or super-speed at low level and just booking it around the city looking for people to save from danger was a really well handled way of doing zones and questing, felt very original compared to wow/D&D/LOTRO/etc.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Ehud posted:

I think Fortnite is the most well known game of the last five years in the US.

Athletes play Fortnite and do the in game dance emotes as celebrations. Drake played the game with the top Fortnite streamer. They do news stories about it on Today and GMA. It has huge mainstream popularity.

They profited 3 billion last year.

It’s crazy money cuz of kids. But I just need a good MMo, and the only company I actually see giving Blizzard a run for their money is riot games.

Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
If you don't try you can't lose.
I haven't dug to see if anyone's been talking about this yet.

Been playing this new "AAA" MUD that came out recently called Starmourn. It's a space themed MMO (MUD)
https://www.starmourn.com/

Arteryman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 9, 2019

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

People don't like MUDS anymore :P

There's a god forsaken thread in Traditional Games for people who are nostalgic, though.

Spam Musubi posted:

It’s crazy money cuz of kids. But I just need a good MMo, and the only company I actually see giving Blizzard a run for their money is riot Rockstar games.

They may be slavers but they have conquered the industry

Well, a good mmo... Nope, I'm sorry. No alternative to WoW at this point, each other MMO is vastly inferior to wow in terms of depth. There's ESO and GW2, but they're both hello kitty dressup online. Not sure about FF though. People have been saying it is cool and good, but I haven't played it.

I recently tried BDO, too. Didn't like the gameplay model, but some people swear by it

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 9, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FF14 is gud, as is GW2, IMO. Just in vastly different ways.

wow was never good because the whole warcraft aesthetic has been garbage since warcraft 3, and since MMOs are fashion contests first and foremost, it disqualifies itself right there.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I liked mmos back when you were king if you had the flyest staff or the biggest most badass sword, with the appearance to match

now its all about mogs and mounts, and literal poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spam Musubi posted:

It’s crazy money cuz of kids. But I just need a good MMo, and the only company I actually see giving Blizzard a run for their money is riot games.

riot's not good at game making so i dunno why you think they'd make a good mmo.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh sweet merciless Eris, why? Why would you type that even as a joke?

League of loving Legends? The hell?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RagnarokZ posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh sweet merciless Eris, why? Why would you type that even as a joke?

League of loving Legends? The hell?

Because LoL, despite how much goons hate it, is the most popular online game ever that surpasses player numbers compared to anything Blizzard has ever made. And it's really not that hard to imagine an MMO dethroning WoW. The game has been on a steady decline for years now, and multiple MMORPGs (Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Elder Scrolls Online) are all bordering around the same number of players as WoW.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
MMOs as we've known them the last 10 years are fading fast, the current crop are struggling to hold at a million to a million and a half paying subs, and most have gone freemium twilight/wind down.

LoL has a bonkers amount of players, and if they tried to create a fresh style of MMO that incorporated advanced party dynamics or a new way to battle, it'd be a pretty Big Deal.

Whether or not it'd be any good eh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm still not convinced an MMO is what Riot is actually making though.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Riot's a lovely company so it'd be great if they dumped a heap of money into an mmo only to have it flop prompting tencent to gut them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14 is a good game, and it's about 3x the good game if you played final fantasy at all beforehand.

The vanilla content is a loving S L O G though. It's designed to show someone who's never played an MMO how to play a MMO and it does so in the most long-winded way possible. I recommend skipping ARR (the vanilla content) and just watching a summary or something becuase it takes a good 100 hours at least to get through.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jokes posted:

FF14 is a good game, and it's about 3x the good game if you played final fantasy at all beforehand.

The vanilla content is a loving S L O G though. It's designed to show someone who's never played an MMO how to play a MMO and it does so in the most long-winded way possible. I recommend skipping ARR (the vanilla content) and just watching a summary or something becuase it takes a good 100 hours at least to get through.

My broken brain felt the opposite. I actually enjoyed the ARR content more, but felt that FFXIV dropped in enjoyment for me when the expansions came out and they started introducing 3 hour long cutscenes and massive amounts of backtracking and gated content.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Ah nice, thought it was still in early access.

They're still ongoing in revamping the graphics and stuff, since most of what they've done so far has been updating the engine, adding technical capabilities for modern stuff (transparencies and high res in textures, shaders, properly encrypted connections, etc), and putting polish on their new port of the entire thing to Android (fully cross-platform enabled, which is really cool). I would expect at least another year or before the graphics and the UI are fully updated to "modernish" standards.

With that said, the Steam Workshop support is really rad, and takes the hassle out of downloading campaigns and stuff, assuming the packager has put them together properly on there. And the multiplayer generally just works again without hassle, which means you can do GM or persistent world stuff easily.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 10, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FFXIV does none of the good things that FFXI did. FFXI sucked in a shitload of ways but you still got to explore the world while FFXIV was just queuing up for the same dungeons over and over and over.

Everything is so loving cookie cutter because its all instanced. I miss farming pop items during the week with two close friends then trying to get people to fight the big NM on the weekend.

FFXIV is really well polished but I miss doing weird poo poo with my friends like trying to get joyeuse, farming o-hat items, assault jerkin etc.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 10, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey is there an MMO out there that isn't hotkey driven ???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Glenn Quebec posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/746930/ :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Arguably, planetside, destiny, division...

Dragon's Dogma Online is the only "real" one, and it looks great but its like JP only so you have to VPN an account and deal with headaches to get in. Some people in this thread seem to love it, though.

Action MMO is the very thing we're all begging for so it won't happen.

Its all card games and loot boxes for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

FFXIV does none of the good things that FFXI did. FFXI sucked in a shitload of ways but you still got to explore the world while FFXIV was just queuing up for the same dungeons over and over and over.

Everything is so loving cookie cutter because its all instanced. I miss farming pop items during the week with two close friends then trying to get people to fight the big NM on the weekend.

FFXIV is really well polished but I miss doing weird poo poo with my friends like trying to get joyeuse, farming o-hat items, assault jerkin etc.

look deep into your heart for this.

do you really miss camping ullikummi for seven hours? do you really miss running around ve'lugannon palace waiting for a goddamn detector to spawn steam cleaner? do you really miss finding out the ToD and hauling your rear end out to sea serpent grotto at some ungodly hour just to watch some bot voke charybdis before it even appears on your screen? or do you just miss having enough free time to use these things as excuses to hang out with your friends?