Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

89 posted:

Not sure how it wasn't mentioned in here.

Ball was tipped. Parkey being thrown under the bus when it was the Eagles defense that changed the ball trajectory.

Bears fans have decided the narrative is that it's his fault so he kicked it too low now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Bears paid the piper for the unholy abomination that was the Fog Bowl.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/PhiEaglesUK/status/1082261715327299584

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SportsQuotient/status/1082123420056330240

No señor! No señor! No señor! No señor!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bears came in averaging 17 points against, which is excellent. They held the Eagles to 16, with a +2 takeaway differential, which the latter indicates victory like 97% of the time in the playoffs. Granted, the Eagles should've had like 2 picks but we'll go with what happened.

Parkey was responsible for 9 of their 15 points. This was the kicker that had missed 10 coming in and probably should've been cut, but alas they kept him and trusted him enough to keep kicking it. 9 points.

It's easy as poo poo to blame Parkey and I get it completely. Philly was about to probably give Elliott the Alex Henery treatment for not booting that ball through the endzone.

Point is if they want to blame anything, its their offense for doing nothing. Cody Parkey will be gone, but the larger problem is going to remain.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Philly's best defensive performances all year were
held Atlanta to 12 (when Philly was healthy)
Held Giants to 13
Held Washington to 13 and 0 (when Washington was starting josh Johnson or whoever )

The bears offense absolutely stunk it up and seemingly went back to "oh poo poo Mitch is turnover prone" and got ultra safe until the 4th when it was desperation time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Say Nick Foles beats the Saints, or hell, wins another SB. What happens next? Everyone in this org loves BDN and while I think locker room stuff doesn't mean much, letting Foles walk would probably actually create a mutiny.

But I don't think you can pay him 20 mil either to be a backup and the trade market is pretty weak for either Foles or Wentz

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Say Nick Foles beats the Saints, or hell, wins another SB. What happens next? Everyone in this org loves BDN and while I think locker room stuff doesn't mean much, letting Foles walk would probably actually create a mutiny.

But I don't think you can pay him 20 mil either to be a backup and the trade market is pretty weak for either Foles or Wentz

Foles or Wentz would both immediately be the best available QB's on the market by a large margin.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Foles or Wentz would both immediately be the best available QB's on the market by a large margin.

Teams rather gave 20 million to Sam Bradford than trade for Foles last year. Considering he can buy his way into FA if he wants to, how many teams would give up anything good this go round. Now that I think about it, the entire FA QB crop last year have basically all sucked. lol

Wentz, man, he might be one bad hit from being Romo'd. Back injuries are loving scary

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 7, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Foles retires. I really think he might do it, dude almost quit before he became our backup and he apparently hates playing anywhere but Philly.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Teams rather gave 20 million to Sam Bradford than trade for Foles last year. Considering he can buy his way into FA if he wants to, how many teams would give up anything good this go round. Now that I think about it, the entire FA QB crop last year have basically all sucked. lol

Wentz, man, he might be one bad hit from being Romo'd. Back injuries are loving scary

With Wentz coming back from an ACL I don't think trading Foles was really ever on the table for the Eagles last offseason. This year is different with that salary bump, and it's a weak QB class in the draft, and Ryan Tannehill is the best of the free agents.

Paying 20 million to Foles or betting on Wentz's health might be gambles more teams are willing to take.

axeil posted:

Foles retires. I really think he might do it, dude almost quit before he became our backup and he apparently hates playing anywhere but Philly.

I think this is probably wishful thinking. I know you wanna see your Super Bowl hero stay with the team and retire, but the guy is only 29 and now in the midst of another playoff run. He will be in demand and he will be able to make a lot more money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 7, 2019

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Foles was pretty emotional after that last Eagles home game. Dude doesn't plan on playing in Philly after this year, and he's not wild about it—but turning down that payday would be bonkers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can’t Foles do pretty well just doing the motivational tour circuit? I mean not like he can make playing, but enough to ensure continued financial security with less significant impact on health and if he wants to have more kids and not being on the road/training?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

There's no trade market for Foles because he can opt-out by paying $2 million. Why would he play for any trade destination for $20 million when he can pay $2 mil and sign a multi-year deal that will most likely have around $40 million guaranteed?

There's no trade market for Wentz because nobody would be willing to pay what he would cost. I believe Kempski put it best in his recent Q&A when he said he wouldn't pick up the phone for anything less than five 1st round picks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can’t Foles do pretty well just doing the motivational tour circuit? I mean not like he can make playing, but enough to ensure continued financial security with less significant impact on health and if he wants to have more kids and not being on the road/training?

Foles' dad prob has more money than Foles does thanks to selling his restaurant chain. He's good on money.

NotWearingPants posted:

There's no trade market for Foles because he can opt-out by paying $2 million. Why would he play for any trade destination for $20 million when he can pay $2 mil and sign a multi-year deal that will most likely have around $40 million guaranteed?

There's no trade market for Wentz because nobody would be willing to pay what he would cost. I believe Kempski put it best in his recent Q&A when he said he wouldn't pick up the phone for anything less than five 1st round picks.

Gruden calls and says hell trade 2018 Raiders, 2018 Bears, 2019 and 2020 Raiders picks. Do you do that? I think that was Bo Wulf's hypothetical.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Foles' dad prob has more money than Foles does thanks to selling his restaurant chain. He's good on money.

Gruden calls and says hell trade 2018 Raiders, 2018 Bears, 2019 and 2020 Raiders picks. Do you do that? I think that was Bo Wulf's hypothetical.

loving absolutely

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

holy poo poo, apparently yesterday was the first time Jason Peters was on the field for a playoff win

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I assume you mean 2019 Raiders, 2019 Bears, 2020 and 2021 Raiders.

No.

The Bears pick is now #24 and Carson Wentz makes any team a contender so the future picks would probably not be top 15.

5 picks. Minimum. As a starting point.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol Carson Wentz wouldn't making the Raiders a contender next year. Andrew Luck wouldn't make the Raiders a contender next year. Patrick Mahomes probably wouldn't make them a contender in 2019

Gimmie them picks, Gruden

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The only factor that might allow the Eagles to keep Foles one more year is that Wentz is still on his rookie deal so there could be cap space. I have a feeling Peters might not be back next year too.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lurie should just pay Nick Foles illegally, like Bob Kraft does for T*m Br*dy, except instead of getting paid for some nutrition grift, it's a motivational speech grift.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

a new study bible! posted:

Lurie should just pay Nick Foles illegally, like Bob Kraft does for T*m Br*dy, except instead of getting paid for some nutrition grift, it's a motivational speech grift.

I don't know why more teams don't do this.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

89 posted:

I don't know why more teams don't do this.

they do, but there's no NCAA even pretending to keep an eye on it

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

The only factor that might allow the Eagles to keep Foles one more year is that Wentz is still on his rookie deal so there could be cap space. I have a feeling Peters might not be back next year too.

Which is crazy because Peters is still playing at such a high level, what he did to Mack last weekend is insane. But I cant help but wonder what his life is going to be like 5 - 10 years out of football with the types of injuries hes had.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think this is probably wishful thinking. I know you wanna see your Super Bowl hero stay with the team and retire, but the guy is only 29 and now in the midst of another playoff run. He will be in demand and he will be able to make a lot more money.

This. He could play in the league for another decade, I don't know why people think he's anywhere close to retiring. Yeah he was thinking about it a few years ago, but he was in a completely different place then.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just don't want Nick to go to the Giants

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

rujasu posted:

This. He could play in the league for another decade, I don't know why people think he's anywhere close to retiring. Yeah he was thinking about it a few years ago, but he was in a completely different place then.

I don't remember Peters ever considering retirement a few years ago. Every offseason for the last 4-5 years, fans have been calling it his last season because of his age and high salary. But as a few of us have consistently pointed out, there has been no replacement available as good as an aging Peters, and his salary is in line with what left tackles make, so why would the team get rid of a guy when they have no adequate replacement?

I think that's different now and this is Peters' last season. The Eagles will almost certainly give Wentz his extension this offseason so they will probably want Peters off the books. While he's not good, Vaitai has become an adequate temporary fill-in until Mailata is ready or they find someone else. Between filling in for Peters and Johnson, Vaitai has played 30% of the snaps this season. Vaitai also plays better when he starts rather than being rotated in for spot duty when Peters or Johnson goes out for a series or two.

As with Foles, people may suggest that Peters could renegotiate with the team and play for a fraction of what he is worth out of the goodness of his heart. He is a great friends with Lurie and they may be planning an organizational role for him after retirement. But this is such an outlier possibility that I don't think it's even worth considering.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1082676167797141504

Putting aside the obvious risk of siding with a moron like Skip Bayless, I can see the logic in keeping Foles over Wentz: Foles can't be traded for any significant value because of his current buyout option, while trading Wentz could return a king's ransom of picks and/or players. So the decision could be looked at as Foles plus a lot of valuable assets vs. Wentz.

But I wouldn't do it and I don't think Lurie will either.

Regardless of how this season turns out, Nick Foles will forever be a legend in this city. The only way to destroy that legend would be to keep him over Wentz and have Wentz outshine him with his new team. Foles would go from a legend to a mistake. Conversely, if Foles goes to a new team and performs well it does not hurt his legacy with the Eagles. The whole city will be rooting for him to succeed unless he's playing the Eagles.

The safe move is to stick with the younger player who the organization considers to be a franchise quarterback, and I think the Eagles will make the safe move.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If the Eagles win another superbowl with Foles, all bets are off. As of now, no way do we keep Foles unless he wants to be a highly paid backup.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I firmly believe the Eagles will get absolutely destroyed on Sunday, but if by some miracle they end up in the NFCCG against the Cowboys, Nick Foles cements his place as the Eagles starter going forward just by making it to the Super Bowl.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Toaster Beef posted:

I firmly believe the Eagles will get absolutely destroyed on Sunday, but if by some miracle they end up in the NFCCG against the Cowboys, Nick Foles cements his place as the Eagles starter going forward just by making it to the Super Bowl.

Yeah, but can a QB who has never thrown for 3000 yards in a season get you to the playoffs?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Toaster Beef posted:

That's cute, but if there is an NFCCG, you deffo shouldnt treat it as a given, especially against a team that's beaten y'all twice now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Bananana posted:

That's cute, but if there is an NFCCG, you deffo shouldnt treat it as a given, especially against a team that's beaten y'all twice now.

You beat Wentz twice, Foles in the playoffs is a different matter

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The Bananana posted:

Look at this guy who thinks he can predict a game of NFCE clownball.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If the Eagles win another Super Bowl with Foles, and another team (say, Miami or some other team in the QB hunt) calls and offers you a mediocre player + 2 firsts, like these deals usually tend to, would you be mad?

How do you not bet on a multiple super bowl winner? Potential and all that yes, but if Foles wins *another* Super Bowl you can’t write it off to fluke. He’s your champion.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

If the Eagles win another Super Bowl with Foles, and another team (say, Miami or some other team in the QB hunt) calls and offers you a mediocre player + 2 firsts, like these deals usually tend to, would you be mad?

How do you not bet on a multiple super bowl winner? Potential and all that yes, but if Foles wins *another* Super Bowl you can’t write it off to fluke. He’s your champion.

Good loving god you take that and laugh all the way to the bank.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I felt like it was obvious to me but i didn’t want to come off condescending. Is there any eagles fan who doesn’t run with that?

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

I felt like it was obvious to me but i didn’t want to come off condescending. Is there any eagles fan who doesn’t run with that?

Me! Ask yourself, who would fetch more in a trade? Why would you get rid of the better player? It’s a fun thought exercise, but unless someone offers something like 4 1st round picks, I don’t think the Eagles consider it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

How do you not bet on a multiple super bowl winner?

Eli Manning.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Perhaps your question is a little confusing. You are talking about trading Wentz for a couple of firsts and a player, right? I ask for clarification because it might seem like you are talking about trading Foles.

No Eagles fan here except for Indigi is going to take that deal for Wentz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

For Foles? absolutely.

For Wentz? I laugh.

Minimum for Wentz should be a guaranteed top 10 pick plus at least 2 more 1st round picks.

Like I don't even think a team's entire draft for a year is a fair enough price. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees and Wentz is 6 years younger than Foles.