Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And, of course, the ninety-three thousand screaming Hulkamania- Sorry, couldn't even finish typing that as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Since they introduced the Wrestle Kingdom title shot, has New Japan ever fully laid out what would happen if the champion won the G1? Like you assume they pick their opponent, but if someone beats him during the tournament does he defend the belt or the briefcase at the Fall shows? If he loses the belt does he then wrestle as challenger at WK?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they have not

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They said if the champion wins the G1 they will get mad and won't have any more g1s after that and won't hire or train good wrestlers any more

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cavauro posted:

They said if the champion wins the G1 they will get mad and won't have any more g1s after that and won't hire or train good wrestlers any more

Incorrect. If the champion wins the G1 he gets to have a spa day at the onsen on January 4th. The main event of WK is him and his stable eating yakiniku and drinking in the ring while being waited on by the Young Lions.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Incorrect. If the champion wins the G1 he gets to have a spa day at the onsen on January 4th. The main event of WK is him and his stable eating yakiniku and drinking in the ring while being waited on by the Young Lions.

I'd make the trip to see this, probably

Edit: put Ishii in there with the yakinikus and he'll drag them into a four-star match somehow

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 7, 2019

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
A young lion will repeatedly slam a slab of meat into Ishii's cheek as Ishii loudly orders him to do it harder.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThePariah posted:

A young lion will repeatedly slam a slab of meat into Ishii's cheek as Ishii loudly orders him to do it harder.

Yano runs into the kitchen as they're making dessert and blocks the oven, yelling "BAKE!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Yano runs into the kitchen as they're making dessert and blocks the oven, yelling "BAKE!"

:captainpop:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Frankly, 10 bucks to access this site is a steal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

loving beautiful

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone watched those History of FMW videos on youtube? I'm intrigued but I don't want to waste my time if they're bad or inaccurate

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the best bret match in WCW?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Probably the Benoit match in Kansas City. I think it was in Kansas City, either way WCW told Bret "you can pick anyone to work with and go have like a twenty, thirty minute match" and he picked Benoit as, well, Canadian, Dungeon-trained, worked with Owen in New Japan, and the obvious "we can go out and tear the house down without even having to think about it".

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Cameo posted:

Probably the Benoit match in Kansas City. I think it was in Kansas City, either way WCW told Bret "you can pick anyone to work with and go have like a twenty, thirty minute match" and he picked Benoit as, well, Canadian, Dungeon-trained, worked with Owen in New Japan, and the obvious "we can go out and tear the house down without even having to think about it".

Looks like Cagematch (and WON ratings) agree.
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=565&page=10&sortby=colRating&sorttype=DESC

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
What are the odds that someone watched Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) before deciding Mabel needed to join the Ministry of Darkness?

Jaime Cardriche plays a very large, round zombie and I can't unsee it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

What are the odds that someone watched Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)

It's hard to say. That thing was only on HBO but it got replayed constantly.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

sportsgenius86 posted:

Has anyone watched those History of FMW videos on youtube? I'm intrigued but I don't want to waste my time if they're bad or inaccurate

If you're talking about the long podcast ones, afaik they're accurate, and the guys who do it are FMW superfans who run the most comprehensive English language fmw site

I thought they were kind of boring to listen to though because the really knowledgeable guy has zero chemistry with the host

It probably would have been better as a lecture series and at times it feels like that

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 8, 2019

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What are some of Mick Foley's best matches (before WWE)? I remember loving Mind Games vs HBK but I don't know much of Foley's work before WWE tbh. Bonus points if you can link me a dailymotion of whatever you recommend

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Berzerker posted:

What are some of Mick Foley's best matches (before WWE)? I remember loving Mind Games vs HBK but I don't know much of Foley's work before WWE tbh. Bonus points if you can link me a dailymotion of whatever you recommend

Vs Sting at Beach Blast
Vs Vader at Halloween Havoc
the two tags vs the Nasty Boys from I think Superbrawl and Spring Stampede 94
The Desert Death Match and the cage match from NWC vs Sabu, and the ECW Sabu matches too.

Here's the Desert Death Match, the cage match is on youtube too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMTW9Llrtqg

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Cactus Jack vs. Sting-Beach Blast 1992
Cactus Jack vs. Vader-Halloween Havoc 1993
And strangely, Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne vs. The Nasty Boys, Spring Stampede 1994

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks to you both. I found the Beach Blast match on Dailymotion as well!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does John Laurinaitis still work for the company? I know he got demoted at some point a few years ago. I just find it funny that, after being called out by Punk in the pipe bomb promo, they turned him into an on screen character (who looked and sounded like the late Bob Einstein, I honestly thought they had hired him to play the part at first) who does his job terribly and is eventually forced out. It reminds me of Sullivan booking his own divorce.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does John Laurinaitis still work for the company? I know he got demoted at some point a few years ago. I just find it funny that, after being called out by Punk in the pipe bomb promo, they turned him into an on screen character (who looked and sounded like the late Bob Einstein, I honestly thought they had hired him to play the part at first) who does his job terribly and is eventually forced out. It reminds me of Sullivan booking his own divorce.

As an agent/producer. He's very good at putting matches together and coming up with finishing sequences.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So basically he was someone that was promoted beyond his abilities.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

rovert posted:

As an agent/producer. He's very good at putting matches together and coming up with finishing sequences.
As you'd expect from a five star wrestler.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So basically he was someone that was promoted beyond his abilities.

yeah, he's a perfectly fine agent

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I suppose this is a bit subjective but despite his singles career and being part of the Hart family, did Davey Boy ultimately end up as less important than Dynamite Kid? I had no idea who Dynamite was growing up and even now I don't know much about him. What I do know is mostly his rather awful personal life and actions. But I was looking for interviews on YT and stuff and I typed British Bulldog and mostly got vids on Dynamite from the likes of Meltzer, Jericho and others. Plus I know Benoit was very inspired by him.

Davey was just always a favorite of mine growing up and I was listening to Meltzer talk about the Montreal Screwjob and how Davey's siter was dying of cancer and he dedicated a match to her only to have Shawn force him to job. And I heard in Death of WCW he was so upset by said Screwjob he wanted out of WWF immediately. I wanted to find more stuff like this but not many people talk about him compared to Dynamite it seems. Cornette had the highest praise for him at least, I reemmber that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My take on it was always that more wrestlers wanted to be Dynamite while more fans knew/loved Davey Boy. I started as a fan after Dynamite was long gone and I learned about him threw the comparisons to guys like Benoit and finding tapes while Davey Boy just was The British Bulldog who appeared to objectively accomplish more fame and success.

Of course now Dynamite's legacy feels like its all tragedy and horror with how closely he got connected to Benoit and his own poo poo. But its not like Davey's didn't end tragically too. Everything associated with the Harts is just sad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shame Dynamite was so unlikable, because he probably was one of the top 5 in the world at one point. (in-ring only, though, not overall)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, the biggest moment of Davey’s career was him being almost entirely carried by Bret at Summerslam ‘92 because he had spent the previous few months smoking crack with the Anvil. And then he got caught ordering HGH and had to drop the IC title before being released within two months.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Randaconda posted:

They are persona non grata because they came up with the gimmick, and sued Vince to get the rights to it, and won, and Vince is a petty, petty man.

Masked Superstar was hella over back in the day, btw.

Speaking of Vince being a petty, petty man, what is the pettiest thing he has done?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

Speaking of Vince being a petty, petty man, what is the pettiest thing he has done?

I feel like we'd need a new 64 entry tourney to decide this

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Everything you always wanted to know about Women's Wrestling*
*But were afraid to ask

narrated by Trevor Rovert

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Everything you always wanted to know about Women's Wrestling*
*But were afraid to ask

narrated by Trevor Rovert

Weird cross thread post. Did you think wrestlers practiced the rhythm method or something?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rovert posted:

Weird cross thread post. Did you think wrestlers practiced the rhythm method or something?
I had two tabs opened and replied to the wrong one, oops.

More of an in-jest joke, most of my friends are girls I know all about those Nuva Rings

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I suppose this is a bit subjective but despite his singles career and being part of the Hart family, did Davey Boy ultimately end up as less important than Dynamite Kid? I had no idea who Dynamite was growing up and even now I don't know much about him. What I do know is mostly his rather awful personal life and actions. But I was looking for interviews on YT and stuff and I typed British Bulldog and mostly got vids on Dynamite from the likes of Meltzer, Jericho and others. Plus I know Benoit was very inspired by him.

Davey was just always a favorite of mine growing up and I was listening to Meltzer talk about the Montreal Screwjob and how Davey's siter was dying of cancer and he dedicated a match to her only to have Shawn force him to job. And I heard in Death of WCW he was so upset by said Screwjob he wanted out of WWF immediately. I wanted to find more stuff like this but not many people talk about him compared to Dynamite it seems. Cornette had the highest praise for him at least, I reemmber that.

Dynamite was much, much more important than Davey Boy. Dynamite is one of the two key people who popularized junior heavyweight, high flying wrestling (Tiger Mask being the other) and he had countless clones. And now the style that he wrestled is basically the dominant style outside WWE and you can see the influence on WWE heavyweights too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

bessantj posted:

It's probably far far from the actual answer but the first one I always think of is Zack Ryder. Every time some older wrestler or executive talks about young talent being "too afraid to take risks" or "not having ambition" which is why they never get over or are stuck in the midcard doing nothing for years, I just think did none of you dense fuckwits watch the show from mid-2011 to February 2012 because that's LITERAL HARD EVIDENCE that ambition gets you punished. Starts a youtube show, builds a following from basically nothing, sells a decent amount of merch despite having one of the worst t-shirt designs in history, fans are chanting pretty consistently for him every week, hey guess what Vince, you've somehow stumbled on a new midcard babyface people want to see! What do you want to do with him? Book him in a US Title feud with Ziggler where he wins it to cap off 2011? Awesome! That's a heartwarming conclusion to things. Wait why is he being beaten up by Kane to make John Cena angry, why is he in a body cast, why is he being squashed by Swagger for his title, why is he STILL being beaten up by Kane, why did Eve Torres start dating him and dump him for John Cena, WHY IS HE STILL BEING BEATEN UP BY KANE!?

I know most people don't think too highly of Ryder, he's a goof who's nothing special in terms of his actual wrestling, but they genuinely had something with him and because Vince didn't come up with it he loving killed the guy's career and eliminated a potential money-making midcard act for no real reason, which I think has scared off talent from putting themselves out there in that way ever since. It was motivated by nothing but pettiness.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wish I had the gif of Vince and the Zack Ryder sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the lesson from zach ryder is to not waste your time coming up with stuff on your own because your boss will resent it. just do whatever they tell you to and get the check and hopefully it'll work out. grabbing the brass ring is such a stupid, nebulous concept that no one has seemed to figure out what the formula is, what you have to do, what mood vince is in, if the 70 year old man who never watches any media his company doesn't produce will even understand what youre saying?

it all sounds so exhausting, i don't blame guys for reading the lines and taking advantage of the fancy corporate digs.