Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Centipeed posted:

I'm seeing some major commercial interest in the wiki. Got this email today:

Don't worry - I'll never sell out. It's not my content, after all.
You're a good webmaster and we appreciate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I don't think it's said enough that Centipeed's work is dope as gently caress. Thanks for doing all of this stuff for us.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
FWIW, I wouldn't mind that much if it you did do the Baldurk thing and put in a Project Wonderful ad or two. They're well-behaved and very unobtrusive. The LP Archive isn't really any worse for it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cardiovorax posted:

FWIW, I wouldn't mind that much if it you did do the Baldurk thing and put in a Project Wonderful ad or two. They're well-behaved and very unobtrusive. The LP Archive isn't really any worse for it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't Baldurk say at some point that Project Wonderful ads even make the LP archive self-sustaining at this point so he stopped taking donations?

All around it has worked out pretty well. I don't normally disable my ad blockers for anything but I do for the LP archive and I've never had problems with their ads.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wouldn't know about that, but they're as un-obnoxious as ads ever get and I've never seen them contain anything skeevy or any content that I wouldn't want people at work to see.

If Centipeed doesn't want them then so much the better, but if it helps, it's really a very tolerable option.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I feel this keeps popping up, but didn't find anything on the wiki: any good mod recommendations for STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl? I've but a couple dozen hours into vanilla but never finished it, now I'd like a more stable take on it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The best recommendation I can give you is to use that mod that ports the content and maps of all the games into Call of Pripyat. It's the best way to get the QoL improvements without needing to pick through a billion Russian-made Kaizo mods just to get one that's actually playable.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
After starting SOC a few times and getting to the area after the first each time and shelving for whatever reason, it was Autumn Aurora 2 that really got me into the game, and finishing it. I know it changes some stuff mechanically, but unsure how much. Looked gorgeous though, and about the right amount of cheeki breeki being yelled, not too much, not too little.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If you just want to play SoC as close to how it "should" be, but with bugfixes and stuff use Zone Reclamation Project. I played through SoC with it recently and had a fantastic time. I also used Sky Reclamation Project for Clear Sky with good results. Call of Pripyat doesn't really need mods I found.

Most of the other big ones really change the core experience, even something as minor as adding weapon repair really changes a lot of the feel you get from SoC. I don't know much about the graphical overhaul mods as my pc is a potato.

Edi: I don't know why my stuff keeps getting removed from the wiki, but here are all my detailed Stalker posts from awhile back.

Shadow of Chernobyl
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=715&perpage=40#post485350975

Clear Sky
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=715&perpage=40#post485352040

Call of Pripyat
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=715&perpage=40#post485387219

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 4, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I played through and beat the hottest game of 2019, the original Gothic. In 2019 I'll try and provide good tips for any games I beat, so here's what I intend to add:

* Gothic ½ — SystemPack is recommended for improved compatibility, resolution support and framerate in addition to providing more intuitive controls and other various fixes. For Steam, an all-in-one package can be found here (scroll down for the international version)

* Save often and in multiple slots as the game is fairly buggy, plus it's just a good practice in general.

* The fastest way to move up in the world is to beat up NPCs in melee combat. This won't kill or even permanently anger them, but you'll get EXP and can loot all their possessions, including the entire stock of merchants. Start from weaklings and move your way up! Just watch out for guards and always save first.

* Note though that unlike melee attacks, arrows and spells will always kill NPCs permanently without requiring you to finish them off while they're down.

* Join whichever Camp you feel like, but doing as many of their prerequisite quests as possible first is a valuable source of early experience.

* You can only damage the currently highlighted target in melee combat, even if another enemy is in front of them.

* Exploration gets faster as the game progresses as you'll find speed boosting potions and gain the ability to teleport to key locations.

* Sneaking can be learned from a hunter west of the Old Camp, Acrobatics from a man in the upper tier in the New Camp.

* Pickpocketing can be safely ignored. Lockpicking can be savescummed, but you'll still probably want to train it once.

* With SystemPack revamped controls, the Alt key moves 10 items at a time and holding Shift moves 100 at a time.

* The various plants you find are only good as consumables, there's no alchemy or crafting.

* When transformed by a spell, the Enter key returns you to your original form.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gothic 1+2 pro-tip: always use manual combat. Standing still and swinging left to right and back while the enemy keeps running into your blade is the easiest way to get through the majority of early-game fights without injury. Get the rhythm down and there is basically no way to approach you from the front without getting hit.

[edit] Oh, if you want to play a mage, be aware that the Swamp Camp can't teach you to go above circle 4 out of 6. There's a reason for that. If you want to be a full mage, join the new or old camp.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 4, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I don't think that latter one is really relevant, you can't learn magic at the beginning (which I've added a mention of) and by the time you have the skill points for the higher circles, your training should be covered regardless of your Camp choice.

But yeah, the ol' sideway swing is certainly effective, I added that in. Here's what I ended up with, I integrated most of the old advice in there too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I don't think that latter one is really relevant, you can't learn magic at the beginning (which I've added a mention of) and by the time you have the skill points for the higher circles, your training should be covered regardless of your Camp choice.
It's relevant for the early-game choice of which camp to join. If you pick Swamp Camp, you're permanently locked out of the highest circles, unless the mod you're running changes this. It haven't played the game since 2002 or so, so my own memory may be a bit outdated there. I remember I was really annoyed when I found this out the hard way, though. Definitely a thing I wish I had known before I played it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's relevant for the early-game choice of which camp to join. If you pick Swamp Camp, you're permanently locked out of the highest circles, unless the mod you're running changes this. It haven't played the game since 2002 or so, so my own memory may be a bit outdated there. I remember I was really annoyed when I found this out the hard way, though. Definitely a thing I wish I had known before I played it.

Huh, looking around it seems you're probably right, I figured the New Camp would adopt you like they do if you join the Old Camp but apparently they don't and the next trainer jumps right to the Sixth circle. Yeah, that does seem worth mentioning, thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Huh, looking around it seems you're probably right, I figured the New Camp would adopt you like they do if you join the Old Camp but apparently they don't and the next trainer jumps right to the Sixth circle. Yeah, that does seem worth mentioning, thanks.
No prob. I'll see if I can come up with some more stuff. I played those games to death back then, especially Gothic 2. One of the best adventure-RPGs ever made, in my opinion.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Anything I need to know about Earth Defense Force 5?

I played 4 briefly, so I understand the basics about the classes

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Centipeed posted:

I'm seeing some major commercial interest in the wiki. Got this email today:

Don't worry - I'll never sell out. It's not my content, after all.

Go for it. I can't afford to support goon projects often and ads are one of those methods that make me feel less scummy about not donating.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't know about that, but they're as un-obnoxious as ads ever get and I've never seen them contain anything skeevy or any content that I wouldn't want people at work to see.

If Centipeed doesn't want them then so much the better, but if it helps, it's really a very tolerable option.

I think project wonderful either already has or is about to go down forever, unfortunately

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

As long as the ads are unobtrusive, I say go for it. While we may suggest tips, etc., you have taken on the hassle of maintaining a loving kickass website for the past several years. If you feel bad about using the net profits (if any), donate it to a charity like Child’s play or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Odd posted:

I think project wonderful either already has or is about to go down forever, unfortunately
I didn't know that. That's a shame, it was great resource for small websites that didn't want to hook themselves into one of the bigger and less ethical ad networks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Added Hero-U tips to the wiki:

Essential Tips:
Elective classes (which you are offered after you pass the first written exam) only really start to benefit you once you take the advanced version of the class, during the second semester. If you want to take an elective, go all in instead of diversifying.

First Aid allows you to craft healing and stat boost items. Science allows you to craft single use items damage and debuff items. Magic gives you runes earlier than you'd be able to find / buy them.

Runes and traps can be used once per combat encounter. Every other item is single-use only.

You can "backstab" enemies who haven't noticed you - click on them while they are within Shawn's movement radius. You don't actually have to be sneaking, but it helps.

Most of the time, the game will outright tell you "you can now access an area" or "this is your last chance to do a thing". Don't worry too much about trying to get past plot-mandated doors before they are automatically opened for you.

Some gifts can raise people's opinion of you even if they aren't accepted. However, you generally only have one chance to offer the "one and only" ring to someone - unlike other presents, you can't try again when your relationship is higher.

There's exactly one "adventure game" puzzle in the game - when trying to eavesdrop on someone, you want to click on a nearby statue instead of sneaking up to them.

You'll get one chance to erase your demerits by breaking into Terk's office.

Just about everything sold by the Fence in the catacombs will be available for sale in the school at a later date, at a major discount.

Daily schedule and training:
You'll get all the climbing practice you need by walking the tight rope. No need to train Climbing separately.

There's a limit to how much you can improve each skill each day. Don't waste your time trying to raise a skill that's currently "trained out".

If you want to get the "beat everyone at their favorite game" achievement, aim to defeat Sosi at billiards as soon as possible - he can't be challenged for a fairly major portion of the game.

If you get to your elective class before 4:15, you still get credit. You have just enough time to practice one skill in the training room and chat to a bunch of people along the way.

You get a higher boost to your stats the first time you read a new book.

Every day: Take an apple from the bowl in the dining room (steal an extra apple when your stealth gets high enough), check upstairs to see if anyone is talking in the Teacher Lounge / Darla's Wing, and pluck two red roses in the downstairs garden. This gives you a cache of gifts and useful info.

If you're taking actions that use up time but don't kick you out of a menu, you won't automatically go to bed at 1 am. This is mostly relevant for one reason - you can train your lockpicking skills by repeatedly trying to open the infirmary door (for instance) for "free" at the end of the day, because no game time is actually spent.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Hey guys this thread is 11 years old.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quick, hide it from the mods

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

Hey guys this thread is 11 years old.
What the gently caress. My first post in this thread is eight years old.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I pay $10 a year for my hosting. Covering costs is one thing, and I think if I was shelling out £500 a month to run the wiki I might consider it, but trying to make money off something that costs me $10 a year would make me a bad person. Luckily I don't need the money.

For anyone who's interested, it seems like we're easily hitting about 10,000 unique visitors a month. I assume that's more than the people who read this thread, so I'm glad it seems useful to people around the internet.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 5, 2019

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well thanks for giving up lunch one day a year for us just the same.

I certainly let my non-goon friends know about the wiki, I figured since there was nothing particularly goon-secret on it there was no harm.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Centipeed posted:

I pay $10 a year for my hosting. Covering costs is one thing, and I think if I was shelling out £500 a month to run the wiki I might consider it, but trying to make money off something that costs me $10 a year would make me a bad person. Luckily I don't need the money.
That's a very fair thing to say and I respect your position on this. If it isn't a burden to you, then by all means, leave it the way it is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

Project Wonderful closed up shop back in August.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Odd posted:

I picked up Final Fantasy XII on the Steam sale. I've never played it, in any of its forms, but I know that this one is the International Zodiac Job system version. Anything not on the wiki already that I should know about, with the jobs and such?

You will never be forced to switch characters. I played through the game with only female characters so if you don't want to level up people you don't use, then don't.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Centipeed posted:

For anyone who's interested, it seems like we're easily hitting about 10,000 unique visitors a month. I assume that's more than the people who read this thread, so I'm glad it seems useful to people around the internet.

Depending on the game alot of times I get something new (to me anyway) and the first thing I do is see if there's a page for it so thanks for keeping the wiki going for as long as it has.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anything for Darkwood?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kirbysuperstar posted:

Project Wonderful closed up shop back in August.

This makes me a bit sad, used to use that to grab up free ad space for my lovely blog back in the day. Such is the march of time I guess

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just started Virtue's Last Reward, and I'm specifically wondering how I should approach saving: will it eventually have Zero Time Dilemma's scene flowchart (do whatever, save whenever, the game helps you see the whole story), or does it do 999's thing of infuriatingly opaque progression mechanics (meaning save at every single choice, keep copious notes so you can load back in at different points once you get your first ending)?

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 9, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
ZTD. You've spoiled yourself by playing them out of order too, because a lot of ZTD is predicated on knowing how VTL ends.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Awesome, thanks!

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 9, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PMush Perfect posted:

What the gently caress. My first post in this thread is eight years old.
Same. And I never did figure out how to play Caravan.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, that's simple.

Don't.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

will it eventually have Zero Time Dilemma's scene flowchart (do whatever, save whenever, the game helps you see the whole story)

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, that's simple.

Don't.

Caravan is good.