Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Wasn't there always some doubt about Nev's "backstory" that led him to make the show being legitimate anyway? It always seemed at least largely faked since the beginning. I've seen every episode and won't turn it off if there's nothing else interesting on, but it's right down there with survivor/big brother in terms of being "real" imho.

i mean honestly, they had someone insisting that he was in a relationship with Katy Perry. I refuse to believe there is anyone out there that clueless unless they are an unmedicated mentally ill person. Which he very well might be because he didn't seem interested in all with the real girl who was actually very attractive, especially given how the revealed catfishes usually look.

Nev was catfished by an old lady and his brother made a documentary about it, which led to it being serialized as a TV show. I think in the beginning it was pretty legit, tho they've always been upfront about it being casted

the katy perry guy was the best loving episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

jimmychoo posted:

Nev was catfished by an old lady and his brother made a documentary about it, which led to it being serialized as a TV show. I think in the beginning it was pretty legit, tho they've always been upfront about it being casted

the katy perry guy was the best loving episode

yeah but I swear i read somewhere that the documentary wasn't exactly truthful.

anyway yeah it really was. The other one that sticks out in my memory is the guy that pretended to be a girl and had them meet him in some lan center or whatever. It was kind of painful watching someone who really thought they were a master troll+puppetmaster and just come off looking like a dick. Which he was.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lately they've been having people talking to catfish for like 2 months. It's extremely boring. 2 months?? Who cares? There is ZERO emotional investment for that short a time. I need people who have been morons for 10+ years for real heartbreak.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre

anyway yeah it really was. The other one that sticks out in my memory is the guy that pretended to be a girl and had them meet him in some lan center or whatever. It was kind of painful watching someone who really thought they were a master troll+puppetmaster and just come off looking like a dick. Which he was.

yeah well nev is an rear end in a top hat so that doesn't surprise me.

the other good ep like those is when that woman was pretending to be bow wow omgggg i'm laughing just thinking about it

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Normal people don't get catfished because normal people realize 100% online relationships aren't real relationships.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I remember reading an article where the producers said that a lot of times it was the catfish who reached out to the show first. They'd get the details, get the person being catfished to write in, then go from there. The claim was that while it was all planned ahead of time, Nev and Max were going into it blind and still researching it all.

I got bored of Catfish because it seemed that lately every other episode was the crew being had. Fake catfishes just for the sake of getting a free trip, etc.

Back on topic though, these kind of shows always just feel a bit off. While there are some scripted elements, some people feel 100% scripted. Maybe it's because they're really awkward in general (hence being on 90 Day) combined with having cameras on them, but other times it just feels like bad acting all the way through.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

In the Catfish movie Nev travels to rural Upper Michigan to meet a woman claiming to be a beautiful model and an 8-year-old child prodigy artist who also happens to have her own art gallery in rural Upper Michigan. He either knew what was going to happen and wanted to film a yooper train-wreck, or he is the biggest dumb-rear end on planet earth.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My favorite one is the girl that got catfished by her own cousin

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

vyst posted:

My favorite one is the girl that got catfished by her own cousin

That doesn't narrow it down any. There are probably over a dozen episodes of people catfishing family members for some reason. If a sister or brother appears on screen to meet Nev, I assume it is them until otherwise.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Michigan, the Mecca of arts and hot models

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
oh my god I don't want to stop talking about catfish but just came home to eat lunch and started the second ep of 90 day. I can't decide who is worse, the Mormon guy getting his friend to chaperone or the people who flew his internet gf all the way from Russia to get married and haven't had sex yet.

also Russ is clearly gay.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just starting season 2

Oh no... Danielle, oh no, baby what is you doing baby ?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Steven is thick as gently caress. I can take the baby if I want because Im an American citizen
I wish shed called the Russian police at that point and asked him to exlplain go them what he thinks.
What a dickhead.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
I started watching this show thanks to this thread. Finished Season 1 the other day, but am a couple of episodes into season two and getting excited for the trashiness to ramp up.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I'm having trouble getting into season 3. Can someone inspire me to keep watching this season? So far there's a dad with a fiancee the same age as his daughter, so that's weird, but it's no Danielle.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

AWarmBody posted:

I'm having trouble getting into season 3. Can someone inspire me to keep watching this season? So far there's a dad with a fiancee the same age as his daughter, so that's weird, but it's no Danielle.

is anfisa and george in S3? because they are worth watching

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I guess I'm dumb because I had no idea catfish was scripted.

And I figured Nev got catfished at a point in time when people didn't really know it was a thing. We can roll our eyes about how naive he was, but then again we've heard so many trainwreck stories its easy to forget that meeting people over the internet wasn't nearly as ubiquitous as it is now.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rear end cobra posted:

is anfisa and george in S3? because they are worth watching

Anfisa and Jorge are the gold standard for this show for sure.

If anyone doesn't know their current situation, Jorge is in prison for like 3 years for transporting 300lbs of weed in his car in AZ. Anfisa is really ripped and into working out on Instagram now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Danielle : *WE* have decided to not have sex before marriage! XD

*Bought immigrant man looking for a visa audibly sighs*

Im gonna go on a limb and say these guys arent still together

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Danielle : *WE* have decided to not have sex before marriage! XD

*Bought immigrant man looking for a visa audibly sighs*

Im gonna go on a limb and say these guys arent still together

I just watched the season 2 tell all and how this guy spins webs behind his religion and his culture to try to not look like a fuckin shady rear end in a top hat is amazing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Panfilo posted:

I guess I'm dumb because I had no idea catfish was scripted.

And I figured Nev got catfished at a point in time when people didn't really know it was a thing. We can roll our eyes about how naive he was, but then again we've heard so many trainwreck stories its easy to forget that meeting people over the internet wasn't nearly as ubiquitous as it is now.

When I was 12 I almost fell for what I now realize was an obvious catfish (probably of the pedophile rapist variety) in an AIM chatroom. I actually agreed to meet "her" in another town by sneaking out of the hotel I was staying at for a school trip, but had to cancel because the teacher announced that she would be taping the doors shut and suspending anyone whose tape was broken in the morning. That was back in the time where "my phone doesn't have a camera" and "i don't have a webcam" were completely believable things to say. I don't know when Nev's story happened but you could be right, I was just saying I heard it wasn't.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

Steven is thick as gently caress. “I can take the baby if I want because I’m an American citizen”
I wish she’d called the Russian police at that point and asked him to exlplain go them what he thinks.
What a dickhead.

I think the US consulate explained to him how that poo poo works cause he totally changed his tune after walking out of there. Like, at first, he couldn't get the citizenship verified fast enough and didn't care about anything else but then suddenly went "oh yeah, I guess it's better if the baby stays here for a while, nevermind".

People in there were probably scared shitless of the possible diplomatic fallout of some crazy eyed idiot American trying to abduct a weeks old Russian baby from its mother.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ugh

I feel so bad for Danielle but also, drat it girl, have some self awareness

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I think the US consulate explained to him how that poo poo works cause he totally changed his tune after walking out of there. Like, at first, he couldn't get the citizenship verified fast enough and didn't care about anything else but then suddenly went "oh yeah, I guess it's better if the baby stays here for a while, nevermind".

People in there were probably scared shitless of the possible diplomatic fallout of some crazy eyed idiot American trying to abduct a weeks old Russian baby from its mother.

There are a bunch of bilateral agreements about adoption and custody between the US and Russia. Things would not have gone well for him had he kidnapped the child whether the Russian or US authorities caught him. US prison is nicer, though!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 9, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Season 2 definitely ramps up the racism

With Danielles hunting brother theres a whiff of midwestern distrust for a middle eastern man, but the next segment where Justins family sits down and grills his fianc about a visa :discourse:

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Season 2 definitely ramps up the racism

With Danielles hunting brother theres a whiff of midwestern distrust for a middle eastern man, but the next segment where Justins family sits down and grills his fianc about a visa :discourse:

There's a part that I can't find online to show, I can't remember exactly when in the season it was, but in one episode Mohamed is sitting on the front step of the house and is talking to a family member on the phone, and the subtitles say he's talking about finance or how much things cost or something like that. I was watching it with my ex whose first language is Arabic, and he said the subtitles were completely wrong, and the guy was just talking about the weather. It made me really think about how they're trying to portray some of these foreign partners. Not to take away from the giant scammer that Mohamed was.

Edit: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX6yNuQIwWs
Someone in the comments actually points it out too, the subtitles say (00:28) he's talking about discounts and the markets, but apparently, he's just talking about how hot it is.

Min_sora fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 9, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I knew I was right to hate jay. What a piece of poo poo.

Come to me my big boobed nymph.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Warbadger posted:

There are a bunch of bilateral agreements about adoption and custody between the US and Russia. Things would not have gone well for him had he kidnapped the child whether the Russian or US authorities caught him. US prison is nicer, though!

Most countries recognise The Hague Convention. You need permission from both parents before one can take a child over borders. It creates a whole mess when expat families get divorced. Vindictive spouses deny permission to leave, so the kids must stay in their country of habitual residence, where the Mother has just lost dependent spouse visa status.

Now thats a reality show Id watch.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the reason people think neve is full of poo poo is because in the original catfish documentary there was no reason for them to be filming the beginning of his relationship if they didn't know it was already bullshit. like, why are you filming your friend chatting with a random person on facebook? why would you do that?

the katy perry episode was the best because after he met the girl and she said point blank 'i am not katy perry' he messaged her saying 'katy why did you send someone to lie to the camera instead of coming yourself?'

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
And that girl was pretty cute and into him and he refused to believe he wasnt talking to Katy Perry. Full on mental illness.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

There's Nicole and Azan who are basically Danielle and Mohamed 2.0 except Nicole has an toddler and Azan doesn't seem interested in moving to America.

Steven strikes me as the kind of controlling psycho who verbally abuses his girlfriend if she tries to leave the house without him.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

And that girl was pretty cute and into him and he refused to believe he wasnt talking to Katy Perry. Full on mental illness.

no she was a lesbian

it was also hilarious when they asked him what proof he had he was talking to katy perry and he was like 'she'd send me recordings of her songs before the album came out' and neve was like 'woah that is really convincing, do you have any?' and they were just like radio recordings uploaded to youtube.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Can you kind folks make a separate thread for catfish. Some MTV shows are really hard to watch outside murica

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Can you kind folks make a separate thread for catfish. Some MTV shows are really hard to watch outside murica

Also catfish sucks 90 DAY FIANCE RULES

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Looking back poor sweet Kilyan got whisked away from her family and hometown to LA only to be locked up in his mom and dad's apartment until she got sent to the baby mills of Utah.

It's somehow crueler for him to have brought her to LA, put her on TV and experience modeling instead of just beginning by shoving her in the basement of a temple in Utah.

She was so excited to see Johnny Depp too :smith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

jokes posted:

Looking back poor sweet Kilyan got whisked away from her family and hometown to LA only to be locked up in his mom and dad's apartment until she got sent to the baby mills of Utah.

It's somehow crueler for him to have brought her to LA, put her on TV and experience modeling instead of just beginning by shoving her in the basement of a temple in Utah.

That girl was an angel and that guy lucked out, but she couldve ended up with someone much worse. A boring stable Mormon life aint so bad, coming from a poor Brazil town with no hot water...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That girl was an angel and that guy lucked out, but she couldve ended up with someone much worse. A boring stable Mormon life aint so bad, coming from a poor Brazil town with no hot water...

Idk if I'd characterize it as boring and stable. 30-year-old virgin pedophiles don't end up having normal healthy relationships, especially if they're Mormons.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Celery Face posted:

There's Nicole and Azan who are basically Danielle and Mohamed 2.0 except Nicole has an toddler and Azan doesn't seem interested in moving to America.

Steven strikes me as the kind of controlling psycho who verbally abuses his girlfriend if she tries to leave the house without him.

Nicole and Azan is a top three 90DF couple imo, and shes big a little bit is the best quote of the entire franchise

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Been messaging me girls in Indonesia on okcupid with "HEY YOU EVER SEEN 90 DAY FIANCEE"? No luck so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jokes posted:

It's amazing because he's so oblivious to a lot of her getting homesick and missing her family. Like jesus dude you moved her from a small town in brazil to a completely new environment and are doing 0 to help her adjust.

It's also hilarious how insecure he is about her encounters with other dudes. He knows he's marrying way up.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 10, 2019