Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That seems like a pretty normal response to sounding, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Seriously, he was the worst. He took this turn where he would be super contrarian and just hate everything while doing the SMG psuedointellectual thing. The best part is when he would do it in a long-lived thread like the Book Barn Joe Abercrombie thing and you could just look at his history in the thread to see him talking about how much he liked it a year or two before.

I just hate how he barges in a thread and tells everyone they enjoy the wrong things. I know he does it to get a reaction, but he’s refined his technique enough that he always manages to get under my skin. It’s useless to respond in even the most accommodating and polite of manners. He just sinks his hooks in deeper when he knows he got to you.

Of course my tactic is simply to pretend he never posted anything and move on at this point. It works well on a multitude of posters.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That seems like a pretty normal response to australians, though

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know how much of a "saga" it was but there was a funny Helldump thread on a dude named Pastor Travis.

He died this year but I can't find the link and don't have archives for the thread.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What other details stick out in your mind?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know how much of a "saga" it was but there was a funny Helldump thread on a dude named Pastor Travis.

He died this year but I can't find the link and don't have archives for the thread.
That wasn't the pedophile furry, was it? Wetlegs, I think?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FactsAreUseless posted:

There were a bunch of pedophile furries outed by Helldump.

Pastor Travis was a fat neckbearded teenager who somehow got a columnist job at a local paper and wrote everything in the same blowhard proto-redditor style that goons universally wrote with early in the 2000s.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Was he the guy that had a t-shirt with a graphic of his own face and some epic snarky catchphrase or am I thinking of someone else

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
No Pastor Travis really tried to setup his own cult of personality in his little town. I think he even framed every article he wrote.

Here's the helldump thread.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

BogDew posted:

No Pastor Travis really tried to setup his own cult of personality in his little town. I think he even framed every article he wrote.

Here's the helldump thread.

The obituary suggested he was a well-liked local personality, so maybe it worked? :shobon:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Antivehicular posted:

The obituary suggested he was a well-liked local personality, so maybe it worked? :shobon:

Obituaries tend to omit the bad parts of a person’s life.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

"He was beloved by his community but was once mocked in a now-deleted internet forum. Truly, they were the winners."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ariong posted:

"The family would like interested persons to note that the queue to spit on his grave will start this coming Tuesday at 5:00pm, followed by the effigy burning"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
my favorite part was Amethyst describing, accurately and self-owningly, their brave charge against the mighty forces of the anti-BotL Cabal as "quixotic". Then, when posters pointed out how aptly laughable that choice of words was, they doubled-down on a bullshit definition of "quixotic" when ""sysiphean" would have been far more appropriate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DoctorWhat posted:

my favorite part was Amethyst describing, accurately and self-owningly, their brave charge against the mighty forces of the anti-BotL Cabal as "quixotic". Then, when posters pointed out how aptly laughable that choice of words was, they doubled-down on a bullshit definition of "quixotic" when ""sysiphean" would have been far more appropriate.
I'm half inclined to believe this is all a marvelous art project because that's exactly the kind of annoying nitpicky poo poo BotL gets into when he posts.

VvV
Maybe they're confined to Book Lover's threads or CineD, and you don't go there?

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Jan 9, 2019

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maybe this is just asking to go down the rabbit hole, but what is Amethyst's malfunction? I feel like I've never seen them before two weeks ago, but all of a sudden they're posting non-stop and melting down in multiple threads, and apparently they're the second-most ignored active user on here, after BoTL? Where did they come from? How did I miss them till now?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Maybe this is just asking to go down the rabbit hole, but what is Amethyst's malfunction? I feel like I've never seen them before two weeks ago, but all of a sudden they're posting non-stop and melting down in multiple threads, and apparently they're the second-most ignored active user on here, after BoTL? Where did they come from? How did I miss them till now?

We just call them Blue Stymie and consider it a force of nature. Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're the worst Crystal Gem.

quite stretched out posted:

it wasnt a qcs thread but toys for rear end bum got unbanned for posting (spoiler tagged) pics of him sounding himself in the ausgbs thread way back when because everyone else who posted there was like wtf did he get banned for thats bullhsit

when the mod who did it reversed it they were like okay no more inlined pictures even in spoilers, also what the gently caress is wrong with australians

It's not even the worst sex disaster to occur in Australia threads.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're the worst Crystal Gem.

It's not even the worst sex disaster to occur in Australia threads.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That seems like a pretty normal response to sounding, though

That's the one where you insert stuff into the urethra, right?

What was the context behind him posting that?

Another "exception" from the homegroan rule: I think there was one guy in FYAD or BYOB who had to post pictures of himself autofellating. IIRC, he was bragging about being able to do that, and later on when he was facing a ban/permaban for something unrelated lowtax or another admin said that he could post pics of himself sucking his own dick to get out of it. I may be misremembering completely, by the way.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
From what I remember there was no context it just appeared in the aus thread like most things that happen there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m pretty sure the first time I heard jamming poo poo up your dickhole referred to as “sounding” was in that horrifying thread someone made in E/N about their brother who was addicted to it and was giving himself UTI’s bad enough to do permanent damage by using bike pump needles and the like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everyone focuses on the bike pump but I still think the pencil was worse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

everyone focuses on the bike pump but I still think the pencil was worse

Wood-cased or mechanical no wait don't answer.

e: it would make for an amusing party trick if you had a 5,6mm Mephisto shoved up your cock though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Could he flex his taint and make the pencil click?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cock hero flux posted:

the pencil was worse

And's that's when I stopped chewing on pencils that I borrow from my friends.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly I thought gimmick posting was really boring and even one of the best (relatively speaking) ones (supermechagodzilla), my eyes would glaze over his posts. I'd like to hear some interesting tidbits about the creation of the movie or feedback from an average goon who watched it or discussion about the plot itself.

Not some two bit art school analysis of the movie and why it's not really what we think.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ineffiable posted:

Not some two bit art school analysis of the movie and why it's not really what we think.
That's kind of the problem with CineD, where Discussion and Appreciation kind of his this weird impasse.

A lot of it is due to certain posters hijacking conversations because nerds can't enjoy Popular Movie Release#3, Phase 2.7, unless they're constantly reminded about how the real reading of it is a retelling of... the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire?

So you get this weird cadre of posts about Age of Ultron really being about Tony Stark's unwanted children / Black Widow's sterilization, and all talk about how "yeh it was cool" grinds to a halt.

For reference: the new Orson Welles film got about 4 pages of discussion. Black Panther got like 50 (reasons why black representation in BP is wrong, reasons why the film is actually not culturally significant, also reasons why a monarchist film sucks).

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Jan 9, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Plus a hefty dose of "I want to tear down this popular thing because it's popular and I'm a misanthrope."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That Amethyst meltdown is really something else, I wonder how far up your own rear end you need to be to use "shall" that many times per page in 2019. What a psycho.

e: oh my god now he's onto "shan't"

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Jan 9, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's a nearly impossible line to draw though because while I really wish more people would put more thought into their pop culture consumption it's ok to turn your brain off and watch a Sharknado or something.

I think part of the problem, as someone alluded to, is that some of these long-winded "analysis" posts amount to little more than fan fiction and at that point it's not analysis anymore.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

From what I remember there was no context it just appeared in the aus thread like most things that happen there.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[Australia thread]

page 1: a link to the rotten tomatoes web site for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

page 1000: a link to the op's go fund me to cover medical bills due to the aftermath of the mythbusters team searching his urethra for the loch ness monster because of an ill-fated wikipedia edit which, in fairness, was made from a psychiatric ward

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think CineD has shifted from a place where people talk about the craft of filmmaking to a place where people talk mostly about themselves, the brilliant and insightful film critic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
botl's "gimmick" has always been to just apply basic critical and literary theory to media typically unused to it, and to do so as haughtily and relentlessly as possible

everyone knows by now that this slowly drives people insane, but it's also given him a small but dedicated following of the kind of person who holds the (unironically wrong) belief that having deep opinions on art and literature makes you better or more interesting than someone who pontificates at length about the RGB blend on spider-man's uniform

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FilthyImp posted:

That's kind of the problem with CineD, where Discussion and Appreciation kind of his this weird impasse.

A lot of it is due to certain posters hijacking conversations because nerds can't enjoy Popular Movie Release#3, Phase 2.7, unless they're constantly reminded about how the real reading of it is a retelling of... the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire?

So you get this weird cadre of posts about Age of Ultron really being about Tony Stark's unwanted children / Black Widow's sterilization, and all talk about how "yeh it was cool" grinds to a halt.

For reference: the new Orson Welles film got about 4 pages of discussion. Black Panther got like 50 (reasons why black representation in BP is wrong, reasons why the film is actually not culturally significant, also reasons why a monarchist film sucks).

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. The amount of in depth cinemic discussion on popular movies is weird and I'd rather see stuff like that one dude who made a thread to say gremlins 2 is way better than critics say and there's even discussion about the history of gremlins 2.

And of course a lot of them just like to poo poo on popular things to make themselves seem like the mature classy critic.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

botl's "gimmick" has always been to just apply basic critical and literary theory to media typically unused to it, and to do so as haughtily and relentlessly as possible

So he's an AV Club writer?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. The amount of in depth cinemic discussion on popular movies is weird and I'd rather see stuff like that one dude who made a thread to say gremlins 2 is way better than critics say and there's even discussion about the history of gremlins 2.

And of course a lot of them just like to poo poo on popular things to make themselves seem like the mature classy critic.

I disagree with the very premise of that thread because Gremlins 2 has always been a classic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Blockbuster Video is the subforum for more casually liking and discussing movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you mixing up gravylegs and wetbutt?