Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

What would it replace in those lists? Searing Blaze?

That seems likely, yes. Of all the cards in modern burn, that one seems to be dead for me the most often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
Can't really be a bolt at sorcery speed

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Truth Quark posted:

Rift bolt.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

^

Truth Quark posted:

Lava Spike
Chain Lightning

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not replacing skulllcrack, as well?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Truth Quark posted:

Chain Lightning.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tainen posted:

I’m pretty sure someone here predicted this exact card.

Hahahahahahahah they did it, the absolute madmen!

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Those aren't bolts they're just pretenders :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Truth Quark posted:

Those aren't bolts they're just pretenders :colbert:

3 damage for R, that's what counts at closing time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What’s the price on Goblin Guide and the other expensive bits of the deck again?

Also is there a discord for Magic now?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

What’s the price on Goblin Guide and the other expensive bits of the deck again?

Also is there a discord for Magic now?

There is a goon Magic Discord that is fairly active, come chill with us-
https://discord.gg/umwnrE

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Laffo at replacing Searing Blaze, card is absolutely bonkers against anyone casting cheap creatures. Modern Burn plays 10 fetches/5 fetchable because Blaze is busted.

My first thought is you play it in the 60th slot that no one can decide on and cut 1-2 rift bolts for it as well; you might not want to play 4 because then you have the chance of drawing a bunch of them and not drawing another 1 drop to go with them. I could see cutting some Cracks, it's basically a sideboard card that you run main because you lose very little from doing so.

(I went 10-5 with no byes with burn at GP Oakland so I'd like to think I'm a competent pilot)

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Disinformation Campaign has a stronger effect and is easier* to recur, I don't see this being playable.

*technically casting an instant on your turn is easier but you also generally don't want to do that

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Laffo at replacing Searing Blaze, card is absolutely bonkers against anyone casting cheap creatures. Modern Burn plays 10 fetches/5 fetchable because Blaze is busted.

My first thought is you play it in the 60th slot that no one can decide on and cut 1-2 rift bolts for it as well; you might not want to play 4 because then you have the chance of drawing a bunch of them and not drawing another 1 drop to go with them. I could see cutting some Cracks, it's basically a sideboard card that you run main because you lose very little from doing so.

(I went 10-5 with no byes with burn at GP Oakland so I'd like to think I'm a competent pilot)

It’s ranges from bonkers to totally dead. I think diminishing the dead part is a goal the deck has. It’s also more likely half the cost.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Casting Opt on your mainphase is not difficult, and Teferi/Addendum spells/Wilderness Reclamation are reasons to cast other instants on your turn. The rate seems weak but drawing cards and gaining life at the same time has proven pretty strong in the past.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Skewer gets around Chalice on 1 in a pinch. :v:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

ShaneB posted:

Not replacing skulllcrack, as well?

Nah. Burn needs that against any life gain.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lava Runner
Pyromancer
Steam Kin
Chainwhirler

Shock
Lightning Strike
Wizards Lightning
Skewer the Critics

Light up the Stage
Risk Factor

Easy!

I’m thinking now that Light Up The Stage is probably better than Frenzy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are there any good deck building apps for Android that let you use unreleased cards?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tainen posted:

Lava Runner
Pyromancer
Steam Kin
Chainwhirler

Shock
Lightning Strike
Wizards Lightning
Skewer the Critics

Light up the Stage
Risk Factor

Easy!

Yeah I was thinking this too. Frenzy is good but dropping it at least from the maindeck means you get to play fewer lands and can close out game 1 faster.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

kurona_bright posted:

A lot of people were saying rakdos burn was probably going to be an actual competitive thing in this set

This spectacle bolt will probably make it true, right?

Rakdos Burn is fun as bell in its current state but at this point I'm not sure why would would even want to play black. This easily takes over Soverigns Bite and SPDiplomacy is an easily droppable card

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

It’s ranges from bonkers to totally dead. I think diminishing the dead part is a goal the deck has. It’s also more likely half the cost.

Blaze is bad to mediocre(and never totally dead) against 15-20% of the meta(control, tron, shadow, lantern, some jank, bogles), merely okay against Jund, and I think great everywhere else. The card is strong enough that we have sideboard cards that are basically Blaze but worse.

Buffis posted:

Nah. Burn needs that against any life gain.

Skullcrack is one of your weakest g1 bolts; it's good against dredge and tron and the additional text also kinda matters against BGx and technically KCI, but overall it's basically a sideboard card that you lose little by playing main.

That RG enchantment is interesting as a sideboard card to me in addition to revelry if you run the green splash; it's slower but it's also a card that can passively sit in play and gently caress with KCI or whatever. We might even be able to main deck some.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Rakdos Burn is fun as bell in its current state but at this point I'm not sure why would would even want to play black. This easily takes over Soverigns Bite and SPDiplomacy is an easily droppable card
Black does give you access to much more powerful creatures such as the new RB 2/2 haste and Judith. I'm not sure if that's worth losing 1 drop reliability and Chainwhirler.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So flavor-wise is Dovin a bit slow or

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Why is the flavor text of this missing Tezzeret

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tainen posted:

They've got very different build requirements. Light is going to probably be more consistent when it comes to getting screwed by land draws or drawing itself, and doesn't fundamentally conflict with Risk Factor. You also won't have insane turns that bring you back from the brink of a loss. Buuuuuut everyone is going to be maindecking enchantment hate between modal cards and the abundance of good enchantments.

e; RDW without Fanatic will feel weird. That little guy does work. Probably can drop a Risk Factor or two from that list, not sure what else.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Khagan posted:

Ran out of fingers

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So flavor-wise is Dovin a bit slow or

He has 6 fingers

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jabor posted:

Bearing in mind you'll need to pay 8 life after you've played that card in order to make it "worth it"... You better have some life gain to help offset that.

Why 8 life? 4 is all you need. The text says to put counters equal to life paid, not each time you pay life.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want Sarkhan to show up in Ravnica 3.3 and hang out with Niv and be friends

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

Why 8 life? 4 is all you need. The text says to put counters equal to life paid, not each time you pay life.

He is saying you need to activate it twice to be worth casting. Worth noting is that if you have multiple out they all get counters. If this thing is playable, it is going to be on the back of Blood Operative.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am down on it for constructed. It's a lot of setup and the payoff is getting to... cast Murder. In limited I didn't notice a ton of common/uncommon enablers, so... eh, probably not there either?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What's the current policy on buttcrack alters?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Silhouette posted:

I want Sarkhan to show up in Ravnica 3.3 and hang out with Niv and be friends

I have a feeling that Sarkhan would be a huge fanboy and Niv would constantly come up with excuses to dodge him.

"Oh great Niv Mizzet, how do you keep your scales so lustrous!?!"
"Uhhhhh oh look at the time sorry Sark buddy I have to go... discom my imbobulators across town, very urgent. Later!"

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Khagan posted:

Because Tezzeret isn't on Ravnica.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tainen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 9, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oh for fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked