Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably a market out there for a greasemonkey friendly gopro case with big rubber buttons and magnets to stick it onto the car body.

Don't steal copryright 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

StormDrain posted:

A second friend has, in the course of replacing their brake calipers and asking for help, put their calipers on the wrong side and was unable to bleed them. The troubling part is I know I relayed the story of the first friend and also explicitly asked if they were on the correct side and the answer was yes. Turns out he was wrong.

I'm just putting this out to the universe now. Please do your brakes one side at a time and check the parts. Or at the very least, keep all the parts on the side they came from and compare!

It might depend on the car/make or manufacturer of the replacement caliper, but IIRC my Corolla has an L or R stamped on each caliper. I'm sure I've seen that before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ili posted:

I hate touching my phone when working on anything dirty or greasy so I subscribe to the she'll be right I can remember this no worries method. It even works sometimes.

Why hasn't drone technology advanced to the point where we can get an artificially intelligent garage helper to show up when we go "hey, take a picture of these brakes?"

We could reuse the technology to develop a little drone that shines a flashlight for you as well.

Like what the gently caress is NASA even doing?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

It might depend on the car/make or manufacturer of the replacement caliper, but IIRC my Corolla has an L or R stamped on each caliper. I'm sure I've seen that before.

But like, is it left viewing the car or the cars left man? - My Friends, probably

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why hasn't drone technology advanced to the point where we can get an artificially intelligent garage helper to show up when we go "hey, take a picture of these brakes?"

"Taking picture of... seized gates" and then it flies off to find a gate to take a picture of.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ili posted:

I hate touching my phone when working on anything dirty or greasy so I subscribe to the she'll be right I can remember this no worries method. It even works sometimes.

This is what your old Samsung Galaxy S2 is for.

At least, that's what I use my old S2 for. It's in an Otter Box, and it gets grubby, but if I need to take pictures of something and the condition of the camera device doesn't really matter, that's what I use.

I got the phone over 7 years ago, and it was amazing back then. It's less amazing now, but I find it incredible that it's still trucking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1) always take pictures of everything you disassemble at each step along the way
2) if there are two or more of them, DO ONE AT A TIME
3) get masking tape and a sharpie and label everything that isn't immediately obvious -- "this way up," "this side out," etc
4) draw the shape of the part on a piece of cardboard and jam all the bolts through it where they belong

saves so much heartache

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We could reuse the technology to develop a little drone that shines a flashlight for you as well.

Like what the gently caress is NASA even doing?

Isn't there some way to use a laptop/webcam on a time delay to take a picture every 30 seconds or 2 minutes or something? Even if every picture isn't useful because your (my) fat rear end is in the way, it'll definitely get a shot of every stage of the project.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Godholio posted:

Isn't there some way to use a laptop/webcam on a time delay to take a picture every 30 seconds or 2 minutes or something? Even if every picture isn't useful because your (my) fat rear end is in the way, it'll definitely get a shot of every stage of the project.

You would still have to constantly move it around to point at whatever you're working on.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Sagebrush posted:

1) always take pictures of everything you disassemble at each step along the way
3) get masking tape and a sharpie and label everything that isn't immediately obvious -- "this way up," "this side out," etc
4) draw the shape of the part on a piece of cardboard and jam all the bolts through it where they belong

saves so much heartache

Not if you're my coworkers. Then it's: disassemble everything all at once, label nothing, and then either leave the bolts strewn everywhere or toss them all into the same bucket. Then go home and let the afternoon shift figure out how it goes back together.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sagebrush posted:

saves so much heartache

I've been doing this for any laptops or small electronics I disassemble. It's amazing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sagebrush posted:

saves so much heartache

If it's teeny tiny screws, a scale-ish diagram of the object you took the screws out of, plus some tape or blue-tack, will save you a lot of heartache.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I use my old phone, holds enough of a charge to take photos at least. I should check whether it'll take photos on voice command, then I could tape it to my chest and not have to touch it :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

saves so much heartache

Also a 50-pack of quart-sized ziplock bags is great for keeping hardware organized. "Upper Timing Cover" "Oil Pan" "Windage Tray" "Oil Pump" etc.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Also a 50-pack of quart-sized ziplock bags is great for keeping hardware organized. "Upper Timing Cover" "Oil Pan" "Windage Tray" "Oil Pump" etc.

I do that and add a number. First part off is 1, next bag is 2 etc. On reassembly you count down so you don't install something that blocks another part.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I take photos on complex jobs for sure (or just to document the horror) but I'll usually restart the bolt on whatever it is when I pull it out. IE, let's say I do a water pump and the bolts aren't all the same, I'll put the bolts back in the block where they should go. Also saves accidentally spilling the tray or kicking them across the garage floor.

A buddy and me used to wrench all the time and he almost inevitably had 1 or 2 leftover bolts after most big jobs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

honda whisperer posted:

I do that and add a number. First part off is 1, next bag is 2 etc. On reassembly you count down so you don't install something that blocks another part.

I'll be damned, nice tip.

slidebite posted:

I take photos on complex jobs for sure (or just to document the horror) but I'll usually restart the bolt on whatever it is when I pull it out. IE, let's say I do a water pump and the bolts aren't all the same, I'll put the bolts back in the block where they should go. Also saves accidentally spilling the tray or kicking them across the garage floor.

A buddy and me used to wrench all the time and he almost inevitably had 1 or 2 leftover bolts after most big jobs.

Kicker with this is the previous guy probably had a few leftover bolts as well so now 4 are missing.

Edit: And should add, when doing drum brakes, take pictures like the other goon.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Friend of mine had a job at the local Lions Club. When the carnival would come to town, he talked to the carnies and they were all like "yeah, we always have a few bolts left over when we assemble the rides, nobody is sure where they come from, and its not always the same ones left".

I'm glad carnival rides were never my thing....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

You would still have to constantly move it around to point at whatever you're working on.

That's true for anything. Flashlights, tools, webcams...I just figured there was a software solution for this already. Hell, a security camera would work, if you actually had enough pixels. Bonus points if you've got an expandable security system already.

honda whisperer posted:

This is a really good idea.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

For smaller jobs I like to use cardboard egg flats, top to bottom; left to right. Assembly is in reverse.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

wesleywillis posted:

Friend of mine had a job at the local Lions Club. When the carnival would come to town, he talked to the carnies and they were all like "yeah, we always have a few bolts left over when we assemble the rides, nobody is sure where they come from, and its not always the same ones left".

Reminds me of something...

Back when I was early in my career as a bearing guy, some fellow came in to the front counter asking if we could help him out with a bearing. IIRC the bearing itself was a decent size spherical roller bearing, no big deal, but the housing was so worn out so badly the bearing basically just dropped into it and had about 1/8 to 1/4" of play. Since it was supposed to be press fit so it was extremely fretted and worn out. Of course the housing is a piece of the equipment so basically an OEM part which is certainly not unusual so he was S.O.L. for that from us.

He said "look, I'm desperate I've got to get this thing running, is there anything you can do?"

My reply was something like "Well, you could take it to the machine shop just down the road and see if they could bore/sleeve the housing which would really the best "fix". Alternatively you could try cleaning out the housing seat as best as you can and buy some of this stuff (fancy magic liquid/putty a'la JB weld) and dump it on the outside of the bearing and hope it works, but no promises."

Dude says something like "Oh yeah, let's do that. I've used stuff like that before and it worked great"

So I start to sell him a box of this devcon magic liquid steel stuff and he starts telling me how he's gotta get this ride back together in time for opening that night.
:what: I say "A ride?"

"Yeah, it's for the (zipper/spider/whatever it was) and this is the main bearing for (whatever). I go "holy poo poo buddy, no, you're not using this" just as my boss comes up and takes it away from him and says to either fix it right or we're calling the elevator/amusement device inspector.

loving carnies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

Rickety deathtraps administered by itinerant methamphetamine enthusiasts? What could possibly go wrong?!?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you stick to things that don't leave the ground, you should be ok.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Future thread content right here

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Thread title change plz:
Horrible Mechanical failures: If you stick to things that don't leave the ground, you should be ok.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh also bolt organization chat. Shop I used to work at we would mess with each other by tossing a handful of random bolts in someone's magnetic tray when they weren't looking.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The thing that really confuses me re: left/right brake confusion is that I can’t think of a single benefit of doing the job in parallel. It’s far easier to do all of one side and then all of the other rather than hauling tools back and forth from one side of the car to the other.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

charliemonster42 posted:

The thing that really confuses me re: left/right brake confusion is that I can’t think of a single benefit of doing the job in parallel. It’s far easier to do all of one side and then all of the other rather than hauling tools back and forth from one side of the car to the other.

You can see if the other caliper is as bad as the first one and go to the store once.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Calipers should be done in pairs though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pads, sure, but calipers?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Why not? If one's seized, well, the other has seen just as much use and abuse in its life. It may be fine for years, it may seize in a week. And chances are the other old one will be a bit sticky anyway, so you may wind up with it pulling to one side when braking if you just replace one.

If you have to get it back on the road cheaply and quickly, then yeah, just do the bad one. If you'd prefer to reduce your chances of doing the same job on the other side in a few weeks, do both while you've already got all the tools out.

It's kinda like replacing the most worn out strut instead of both on that axle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Because single items can fail on their own for a variety of reasons other than age?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Although I agree single calipers can fail and I won't plan to replace the other unless it's showing signs of failure, in my experience I end up replacing both anyway.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

slidebite posted:

Because single items can fail on their own for a variety of reasons other than age?

this logic is sound, provided you don't live in the Rust Belt. in Wisconsin, we basically always do both sides.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

honda whisperer posted:

Oh yeah, definitely this. I took apart a Technics SL-1200 turntable once to clean it and fix an audio short, and then lost my job while it was torn apart and had to pack everything and move on short notice. But, to my credit, I had all the screws and parts in numbered butter bins, and all the chassis parts numbered by the order in which I removed them. I still had to watch some repair videos online to get it, but I put the fucker back together and it worked on the first try...7 months after I first disassembled it. That said, 1200s are super simple compared to, say, replacing the inverter on the LCD on your laptop.

slidebite posted:

loving carnies.

"Once a carnie, always a carnie. That's why my mom still cries any time she sees a tilt-a-whirl or a fat lady in a tube top."

My high school friend's dad was a welder and vehicle mechanic. He would go to the carnival from time to time and help repair the rides. That's why his kids and all his kids friends were instructed to never ride that poo poo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

charliemonster42 posted:

Rare, but getting them painted/rebuilt is easier to do in tandem.

I've been one of those who's mixed up L and R calipers when putting them back on, got as far as cursing the idiot who designed them with the bleed screw on the bottom before I realized the idiot was me. They have nice cast L and R letters on them as well. Can't exactly remember why I had both off at once.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Heh, a while back started on doing brakes (this is the rust belt arena) and the soft line looked hosed and so did the caliper. So just threw in the towel and ordered the calipers as well. If one side is hosed, so is the other. It is surgery folks, once you're in there...

To continue my boring post, when I picked up my calipers from Advance Auto they couldn't do a single core exchange on the one used caliper. So I had to haul the new ones out along with the used one.

Thank god I had the used one because the pad slides/hardware that were in the box was literally a jigsaw puzzle without the old one. :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tjconnorstweets/status/1082300687034179584

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

EKDS5k posted:

Not if you're my coworkers. Then it's: disassemble everything all at once, label nothing, and then either leave the bolts strewn everywhere or toss them all into the same bucket. Then go home and let the afternoon shift figure out how it goes back together.

I think I saw them, or their twins, doing that oil change on the Veyron video, posted a few days ago. It looked like every bolt they removed they just piled up on the lift in various, unlabeled places. Have a little pride and professionalism, no matter the vehicle's value!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ninjaeconomics/status/1083027311920730113