Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TulliusCicero posted:

Nothing would warm my black heart more than if God is real and personally throws all these evangelical fucks into hell for being fake as poo poo and horrible people

The ultimate cosmic self-own

The Rapture happens and its actually just completely wiping the slate clean of irredeemable shits, who just all happen to be conservative christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I was in this camp until a couple days ago, but honestly? Polling is bearing the Democrats out on this one. They've got no reason to cave and every reason to let the GOP tear itself apart, especially as this extends into tax season. Trump is already trying to recall the furloughed IRS employees, so the administration clearly recognizes how bad it will be for them if their constituents do not get their tax returns.

I think I was wrong, and I've never been happier to be wrong, to be frank.

Aah yea if he's scrambling to get the IRS back I can see why you changed. I figured at this point he would tell them to stay home as a way to punish Americans for not forcing the D's to cave. I always expect the worst from this admin.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

I mean, if scary mean-faced Schumer

He always looks that way; the Baileys are whispering evil diabolic incantations into his brain every second.

Doctor Butts posted:

Is the Saint Peter poo poo in the Bible/New Testament? Or is that fanfic?

Fanfic, based on Peter being the dude to whom Jesus said, "Upon this rock I will build my church."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doctor Butts posted:

Is the Saint Peter poo poo in the Bible/New Testament? Or is that fanfic?

saints are exclusively a catholic thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm sure there are New Orleans fans that aren't catholic.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
An entire tax season thrown out of wack because baby bitch decided to make it a holiday shutdown.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey this is the first I've heard of this, I think.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rod-rosenstein-to-leave-justice-department-deputy-attorney-general/

Rod Rosenstein is going to resign, apparently.

Edit: I feel like this was reported a long time ago. I just can't remember.

It came up before, in the past it was Trump's camp setting up for him to "resign".

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Like the stuff in the bible, written decades after the life of the person it's about, or collected and curated stories from from oral tradition are not fan fiction.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Crabtree posted:

The Rapture happens and its actually just completely wiping the slate clean of irredeemable shits, who just all happen to be conservative christian.

Lol the funniest thing is that the Rapture isn't even in the loving Bible. So all these conserva-chuds will be suffering the end times with the rest of the heathens.

They justify the rapture by the "thief in the night" verse and go galaxy brain with it instead of interpreting it as "it will be a surprise"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wrong as usual, OOCC. Orthodox, Copts, Anglicans/Episcopalians, and a lot of other denominations revere saints.

The Super-Id posted:

Like the stuff in the bible, written decades after the life of the person it's about, or collected and curated stories from from oral tradition are not fan fiction.

Don't do this, please.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I'm still waiting for this intraparty feuding to tear the GOP apart. The Trump administration keeps coming up with unprecedented ways to being the worst presidency in recent US history. I only say recent US history because I need to brush up on my earlier US history.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BarbarianElephant posted:

Most Christian sects teach that the only criteria for going to heaven is to confess your sins, repent of them, and accept Jesus as your savior. The immigration equivalent might be "Everyone who applies at a crossing point and is truthful on their application gets in instantly."

The other point of confusion comes when they don’t follow the teachings or word of Christ and do their own insane, hypocritical or bad thing. As it was explained to me it is taught no one can meet Christ’s level so don’t even try and that’s not a criteria for anything. So you don’t have to follow Christ’s teachings or path since you could never measure up anyway.

Just tithe money to bribe your way with a generous contribution, confess sins so it can be used for blackmail, and yell Jesus every now and then to show promote us and you’re good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

CmdrRiker posted:

I'm still waiting for this intraparty feuding to tear the GOP apart. The Trump administration keeps coming up with unprecedented ways to being the worst presidency in recent US history. I only say recent US history because I need to brush up on my earlier US history.

What has Trump done that is anywhere near as bad as Bush II?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm going to make a prediction:

This shutdown continues until a concrete catastrophe occurs.

I'm not sure what, but I suspect something like a plane crash due to lack of maintenance. Maybe there's a large scale prison escape due to lack of guards. Maybe El Chapo escapes again.

Some big concrete specific government failure that forces the Senate's hand.
Can we make it a big steel slat specific government failure that forces the Senate's hand?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

Don't do this, please.

This wasn't directed at me but, do what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stop putting these fuckers on tv.

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1082842311636209664

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Helsing posted:

Is this a real question or is this cheekiness?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sigh.

Revelations 21:21-25 posted:

And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass. And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine upon it, for the glory of God is its light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light shall the nations walk; and the kings of the earth shall bring their glory into it, and its gates shall never be shut by day—and there shall be no night there

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

Yeah, I think one of the most important errors that Democratic strategists have made over the past decade has been to assume that intraparty feuding would tear the GOP apart at some point. That never really happened, unfortunately. It may eventually happen, but it was probably a mistake to not treat Republicans in government as a monolithic entity that was always going to fall in line when it came time to vote.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

CmdrRiker posted:

Is this a real question or is this cheekiness?

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. I'm always curious when people perceive Trump as worse than some other recent Presidents, most notably Bush II.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Don't do this, please.

I just mean that the difference between accepted church doctrine and apocrypha or the crazed ravings of someone like Joseph Smith, is very slim and often comes down to some council of people hundreds of years separated from the texts.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm going to make a prediction:

This shutdown continues until a concrete catastrophe occurs.

I'm not sure what, but I suspect something like a plane crash due to lack of maintenance. Maybe there's a large scale prison escape due to lack of guards. Maybe El Chapo escapes again.

Some big concrete specific government failure that forces the Senate's hand.

The wall is already a concrete failure

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I never flew before 9/11 and really wish I could experience what it was like pre TSA. Didn't take my first flight til I was like 27, 9 years later

I still remember taking my mom to the airport when I was a kid. 5 kids running through the airport corridors, sliding down the hilariously long escalators, riding the moving sidewalks, screwing around on the trains, and sitting at the terminal to watch her board. She always flew out at either 5am or like 10pm so the airport was never packed with people.

It was cool.

Now you can't even get past the atrium at Hartsfield/Jackson without a boarding pass.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's almost like when that was written, all major cities had walls and gates and it was specifically written to emphasize that there was no need to close the gates in heaven. Almost.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Super-Id posted:

I just mean that the difference between accepted church doctrine and apocrypha or the crazed ravings of someone like Joseph Smith, is very slim and often comes down to some council of people hundreds of years separated from the texts.

That's a fair point to make; it just seems kind of insulting to reduce people's deepest-held beliefs to "fan fiction."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Majorian posted:

Wrong as usual, OOCC. Orthodox, Copts, Anglicans/Episcopalians, and a lot of other denominations revere saints.

All actually catholic, except for anglicans, who are absolutely definitely catholic except for saying they aren't.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CmdrRiker posted:

Bush II is arguably worse (since he was at least somewhat more competent and had more competent ghouls surrounding him), but nothing beats James Buchanan

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Majorian posted:

That's a fair point to make; it just seems kind of insulting to reduce people's deepest-held beliefs to "fan fiction."

My deepest held beliefs all come from My Immortal, though

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

After bitching about my insurance situation last night I got a call to interview at my weed dispensary to become a budtender.

I know I say this a lot but Hail. loving. Satan.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Majorian posted:

Yes, if people believe something totally loving absurd that puts most of humanity in danger and has been used to justify an international pedophile ring that has operated in dozens of countries for millennia, we shouldn't point out it's inherently bullshit because they are "deeply held beliefs".

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Fair, I didn't mean to be dismissive. I just think we all owe ourselves the clarity to see from where our beliefs come.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All actually catholic

:laffo: Holy God you're dumb.

Crow Jane posted:

Well, I won't mock that song in your presence then. (just behind your back)

(also I had an Evanescence phase, so I can't really judge)

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, if people believe something totally loving absurd that puts most of humanity in danger and has been used to justify an international pedophile ring that has operated in dozens of countries for millennia, we shouldn't point out it's inherently bullshit because they are "deeply held beliefs".

I, too, believe that the Gospel and the Catholic Church's pedophilia scandals are inextricable.:rolleye:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Helsing posted:

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. I'm always curious when people perceive Trump as worse than some other recent Presidents, most notably Bush II.

Just what he's done to tear down environmental regulations alone is pretty horrific. He's speeding us towards armageddon.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Majorian posted:

Well, some things that some sects believe don't have a Biblical basis and aren't universal among all sects. So saying that they are "fan fiction" is a nerdy way of saying "later additions to canon." The Rapture, for instance, is big in American churches but not really among European churches, and is based on a rather tortured reading of the New Testament.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think trump believes the only way he stays out of jail is by staying in office, but I wouldn’t put it past smarter people to start suggesting he needs to figure out a different exit strategy.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1082970295286280192?s=21

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Helsing posted:

My impression is that the loss of institutional competence has been worse, due to neglect, even more blatantly incompetent and corrupt appointees, etc. This is not to downplay how very bad that was during the Dubya years.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Crow Jane posted:

goff poser

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Majorian posted:

I, too, believe that the Gospel and the Catholic Church's pedophilia scandals are inextricable.:rolleye:

I'm not that poster but there's plenty of harm beyond a pedo ring that religion does to our world, including being a contributing cause to the climate crisis

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That's 12 big-rear end clams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Lol Don Jr. if you're in DC right now you can't go to the loving zoo because YOUR DAD SHUT IT DOWN.