Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Why wouldn't food inspection be considered essential and exempt from a shutdown?

Stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mccain also married a federalist psycho that mocked her.

https://twitter.com/daveexmachina/status/1083064040434384897

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Helsing posted:

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. I'm always curious when people perceive Trump as worse than some other recent Presidents, most notably Bush II.

Trump is worse than Bush II because A) Trump has demonstrated just how far people will take a false narrative for the sake of party alliance B) dramatically shifted the overton window so far that blatant deception and crimes seems completely inconsequential C) is helping collapse the global economy with fake problems and solutions D) and demonstrating acceptableness of common place blatant racism and sexism.

Bush II was a competent liar/racist/sexist that enacted unconstitutional legislation and allowed unacceptable occupation of other territories under false pretenses. But he didn't completely turn everyone's reality upside down.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pylons posted:

Do I have to stop buying romaine lettuce again?

It's probably best to never buy romaine lettuce again tbh

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

pseudanonymous posted:

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful

And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter... and fight them until fitnah is no more, and religion is for Allah

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Apostle, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme

This warfare was only part of the larger spiritual conflict between Allah and Satan: "Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil: so fight ye against the friends of Satan

And fight them until there is no more Fitnah

Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled

Those who are godly, obedient and good, will fight for Allah. Others are cowardly disbelievers that God curses.

It goes on and on, just like the bible, about how you should kill those who do not believe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...d-a7676246.html

Wow! It's almost like you need the quote in context! And to actually cite where you got them from!

I'm done with this derail now, but those are straight extreme right wing talking points about Islam

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why wouldn't food inspection be considered essential and exempt from a shutdown?

Stupid.

It's probably safe to blame Libertarians.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

And speaking of Patton Oswalt, here's one of the best episodes of The Dollop on the topic: https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/46-live-w-patton-oswalt-the-1

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Wait, Kellogg as in Kellogg’s cereal, the one with the giant cock on the box of corn flakes?

Holy poo poo it makes sense now.

There's enough weirdness surrounding the Kellogg brothers that you could've made a movie about them. Flakes was just another invention that they tried out on their sanitarium patients as a "cure all" in conjunction with enema treatment.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm sure the Free Market will ensure that our food is safe for consumpti....haha I can't finish the sentence.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

I would guess it had something to do with all those legislators being in the main hall watching the speech and very little time to set up the response video.

Yeah, Kellogg was a grade-A health weirdo.

Well, only John Kellogg, his brother was relatively normal.

And some content https://www.politico.eu/article/full-text-donald-trumps-immigration-address/

That is the full text of Bigly Boy's Racist Tantrum for those that didnt want to watch so now everyone can be afraid that their immigrant neighbors are going to murder them in their sleep!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1083036616283832321?s=19

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dying from Listeria and other preventable food borne illnesses to own the libs

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Guze posted:

Jeff Flake 2.0 has something to say. Watch out for this maverick folks!

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1083019214431100928?s=19

Good news: Bain Capital has purchased America.

Feldegast42 posted:

I hate to say this guys but you need to mentally prepare for Trump getting another SCOTUS seat. It will save you the pain and horror over the next year.

Court stuffing was pretty much inevitable after Kennedy retired.

Skippy McPants posted:

Reading up on the guy, he appears to be a NeverTrump brand conservative. Behind closed doors, I imagine He and Kellyanne probably have very similar opinions of Trump.

Kellyanne's criticisms are sung and filtered through a cucumber.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

I would guess it had something to do with all those legislators being in the main hall watching the speech and very little time to set up the response video.

Maybe, but how long does it take to coordinate with AOC, Tlaib, Sharice Davids, etc, have them sneak out as Trump's wrapping up, and stand behind Pelosi and Schumer to make them look less-decrepit?

Now that I say it, though, I'm guessing those legislators wouldn't want to upstage Bernie's response. Also Pelosi and Schumer probably didn't want Tlaib behind them because she said a naughty mean word that made Joe Manchin clutch at his pearls.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Good article. I have some criticisms, but it's a good defense of AOC's critiquing fact checkers showing where she's right to critique.

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1083052998929076227

I do want to respond to this part of the article where he does critique AOC a little bit

quote:

Here is what the congresswoman’s critics get right: The tax increases that Ocasio-Cortez has publicly endorsed would (almost certainly) not generate nearly enough revenue to fully fund all of her proposed policies. And, in certain contexts, she does obfuscate that fact. For example, when asked how she would “pay” for her platform on 60 Minutes, Ocasio-Cortez could have confessed that she isn’t so sure her policies need to be fully “paid for,” and then attempted to explain Modern Monetary Theory to a lay audience in 30 seconds or less. But it is unlikely that she could have convinced CBS’s viewership that deficits don’t matter — and that the only constraint on public spending is inflation (which the U.S. could probably use a little bit more of right now) — in the time that Anderson Cooper was prepared to give her. Alternatively, she could have stipulated that, while she is committed to lowering middle-class Americans’ overall costs of living, she is also eager to significantly raise their taxes. But that would have (almost certainly) been politically unwise.

60 minutes recorded much more footage than was actually aired, so we don't actually know whether she challenged the "needs to be paid for" mentality.

Personally I hope that she continues to challenge the notion that is still common that proposals need to be paid for (a misconception even I had until recently), which comes from the false belief that government "pays for" programs through the taxes it collects. So yea, more discussions of Modern Monetary Theory please :)

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 9, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Donnerberg posted:

There's enough weirdness surrounding the Kellogg brothers that you could've made a movie about them. Flakes was just another invention that they tried out on their sanitarium patients as a "cure all" in conjunction with enema treatment.

Someone did, "The Road To Wellville".

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Remember how last night the NYT tut-tutted Schumer for saying millions of people were effected by the shutdown since there are only like 800k federal workers who will miss a pay check?

:thunk:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's probably best to never buy romaine lettuce again tbh

I was told by my racist coworker that the reason Romaine lettuce was recalled is that immigrants poo poo in the fields when they pick it....there is no end to how far they will rationalize their racism.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

eviltastic posted:

With regards to DoD (e: and DHS and related agencies, ofc), forever wars, and associated policy, I totally agree, Bush was much worse, and on the balance will probably turn out to be the worse president. That's a distinct point from your question.

I guess my point is that what Bush did was worse than a loss of institutional competence, it was literally creating a huge new constituency of contractors and suppliers for the Forever Wars that he started, which had the effect of making them almost impossible to end. That actually seems much worse than what Trump has done.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Serious question, what are we supposed to do when SNAP runs out? Is there an organization that will step up to try and fill in that we can donate to?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Someone, I forget who, was mocking him on Twitter for that friendship and he melted the gently caress down

That was Krang T Nelson

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/937359766506164224

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?
Organized religion deserves to be dunked on at every possible opportunity

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SurgicalOntologist posted:

And speaking of Patton Oswalt, here's one of the best episodes of The Dollop on the topic: https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/46-live-w-patton-oswalt-the-1

poor gary's mind shatters 3 times in this epsisode

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

Trump is worse than Bush II because A) Trump has demonstrated just how far people will take a false narrative for the sake of party alliance B) dramatically shifted the overton window so far that blatant deception and crimes seems completely inconsequential C) is helping collapse the global economy with fake problems and solutions D) and demonstrating acceptableness of common place blatant racism and sexism.

Bush II was a competent liar/racist/sexist that enacted unconstitutional legislation and allowed unacceptable occupation of other territories under false pretenses. But he didn't completely turn everyone's reality upside down.

Ranking awful presidents is unproductive, especially when it's clear that both Bush II and Trump have got to be some of the worst post-civil war. However Bush II really was worse in turns of objective outcomes ie body count, pissing away the narrow window to mitigate climate change, exerting American empire, economic deregulation etc. It cannot be overemphasized that the global economy basically self-destructed on his watch. Of course I'd fully expect Trump to become competitive if given the near complete political power Bush possessed following a major terrorist attack. Trump simply hasn't had the power to be as awful as Bush was, not for lack of trying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rosenberg sucks terribly and so does twitter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

friendbot2000 posted:

I was told by my racist coworker that the reason Romaine lettuce was recalled is that immigrants poo poo in the fields when they pick it....there is no end to how far they will rationalize their racism.

I have seen this insanity making the rounds of the chuddosphere.

Thought it was a one-off lone nut honestly

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Serious question, what are we supposed to do when SNAP runs out? Is there an organization that will step up to try and fill in that we can donate to?

Yeah, this is...pretty important, some food bank donation places might help too. Also, don't donate food to food banks, donate money because then they can buy fresh food wholesale from farmers and distributors and get more for their money. Donating whatever is in your pantry or grocery store actually hurts food banks because they have to throw most of it out and hire staff to sort it which affects their ability to feed more people.

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?
hahah that didn't take long http://foresttrump.com

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

VH4Ever posted:

Wasn't there a "don't post Tweets from sexpests" rule ITT?

If a rule like that was enforced their wouldn't be anything to talk about ITT.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Pylons posted:

Do I have to stop buying romaine lettuce again?

No, romaine problems flare up because it’s a hard problem to track and patrol.

These inspectors make sure a molding and rotting cow is thrown away instead of “cutting off the rot” and still using the rest, or stop someone from washing vegetables in Formaldehyde to extend shelf life, or keep the amount of insects and rodents in your flour to a minimum.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

heyitsamanda posted:

Organized religion deserves to be dunked on at every possible opportunity

You guys ever notice how Buddha really let himself go. What a goon that guy was eh?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

Feed them the dodgy romaine lettuce, wait for both problems to solve themselves </republicans>

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

One time the Kale I bought, which was supposedly "Triple Washed" and USDA inspected, had some kind of small insect eggs on it. I have never bought greens from the grocery store since.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Nocturtle posted:

Ranking awful presidents is unproductive, especially when it's clear that both Bush II and Trump have got to be some of the worst post-civil war. However Bush II really was worse in turns of objective outcomes ie body count, pissing away the narrow window to mitigate climate change, exerting American empire, economic deregulation etc. It cannot be overemphasized that the global economy basically self-destructed on his watch. Of course I'd fully expect Trump to become competitive if given the near complete political power Bush possessed following a major terrorist attack. Trump simply hasn't had the power to be as awful as Bush was, not for lack of trying.

"This isn't a valuable discussion but I'll participate and tell you that you're wrong" lol

I think you raise some good points. It makes me more inclined to believe they were awful for different reasons, but I think I'll standby with my previous assessment for now.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Super-Id posted:

You guys ever notice how Buddha really let himself go. What a goon that guy was eh?

Don't even get me started with that Kali lady. Just death, death, death, all the time. Where's the positivity?!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

maybe you folks are younger but there was definitely reality distortion poo poo with bush. they killed hundreds of thousands over a lie they got lots of people, including the media, to believe.

qkkl posted:

One time the Kale I bought, which was supposedly "Triple Washed" and USDA inspected, had some kind of small insect eggs on it. I have never bought greens from the grocery store since.

free protein.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't know how you sustain this attitude unless the deaths of people outside American counts for literally nothing in your reckoning of Presidents.

The entire American establishment signed up for a war of choice fought on blatantly false pretenses and oversaw the build up of the bubble that popped in 2007/2008 and was as bad if not worse than Trump on the environment. Literally everything you list about Trump would apply even more strongly to Bush II. Post 9/11 America was absolutely a place where reality was turned upside.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

qkkl posted:

Dirt/bugs will always be on greens, it's impossible for the farm to wash it all off. When you buy greens and go to use it always wash it first, I figured this was common knowledge. Never just eat greens directly from the head.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nocturtle posted:

You're really letting the Trump admin off thanks to their incompetence. A lot of the terribleness of Bush II was because Cheney was both an evil gently caress and highly competent.

If the thought of Bannon and/or Miller being about to actually realize their psychotic dreams for the future doesn't make you shudder then I don't know what will. Or Pence getting a chance to implement his theocratic desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Popete posted:

Dirt/bugs will always be on greens, it's impossible for the farm to wash it all off. When you buy greens and go to use it always wash it first, I figured this was common knowledge. Never just eat greens directly from the head.

gently caress that, I go straight outside and eat the unpicked heads of lettuce to own the libs