Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, pretty much the same. That said, even the main story is compromised in two weird ways - one, it's REALLY slowed down. Every time you have a task, it will be interrupted over and over by needless busywork. Sure, this happens in Yakuza sometimes, but here it feels way more egregious because the wasteland is so tedious to drive around and the distractions are never as amusing.

Second, it also gets interrupted over and over by known characters and storylines from the FOTNS, truncated down so much they have no emotional impact at all. Rei is looking for his sister and fights Kenshiro because he thinks he took her! Oh wait, here she is, we found her in a ditch or something, IDK. Remember the story with Misumi, the old man with the seeds that dies to protect them? Well, here he's being accosted by one guy, gets mildly injured, and survives, completely ruining the whole point of the character and plotline. Why even have it there other than "this is a thing people know"?

The plot would have been better if Sega came up entirely with their own characters instead of making this into a semi-reboot clip show version of FOTNS. Does the main plot HAVE to center around Yuria? That was only the first arc in the manga, Ken had plenty of other reasons later to help people. Do Rei, Bat, Lin, Jagi etc. all HAVE to show up? And why do nothing interesting with them if so? For instance, I'd love Bat to tag along with Ken all the time, he was an important foil in the manga, but instead he's relegated to the buggy NPC here. Maybe he could have been the grown-up version of Bat that is training in Hokuto Shinken. But instead... Nothing.

Anyway, I don't HATE the game... I just don't LOVE it like I do with Yakuza. It could have been a lot better. I would absolutely love to see the Yakuza team take on other franchises, but if they do I hope they're less half-baked. From their upcoming games it's clear they just want to keep making Yakuza games, and... Well, that's good too.

At least this game is better than Kens Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Skeezy posted:

At least this game is better than Kens Rage.

Honestly the most amazing thing about LP is that it's a FOTNS game that isn't complete garbage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ken's Rage was okay

Ken's Rage 2 on the other hand.....

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, combat is super uneven. I rolled through it and then faced her dad and it was like a brick wall, especially because the fucker kept stealing my heat. And dealing with crowds is a pain because you can't toggle priority so way too often it does the slow, dumb one which takes out two rather than the whole crowd.

Also, the clinic game is worse than the mainstream Yakuza ones, but the baseball is way better.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I cheesed the dad with destiny talismans like every boss, because I never feel like a have an effective way of dealing with a single powerful opponent aside from that. Same with big crowds - I always end up running around sniping some easy guys to work up my power gauge and then using the jumping triangle pound move in burst mode over and over. It just doesn't feel very Kenshiro-like.

Edit: To get back to Yakuza, what's people's opinions on Clan Creator as a minigame? I tried to get into it in YK2, but it just wasn't very fun to me. I'm interested in seeing the storyline since it's pretty hilarious the rival companies are real-life Japanese werestlers and I like how I'm recruiting characters I've been meeting through the game, but the mode itself just doesn't seem too compelling. Maybe I need to watch some tutorials on how to play it better? Or was it done better in Y6? I dunno, it just always makes me want to go back to the glory of the Cabaret Club game.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 7, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The clan creator stuff sucks imo and I hope they drop it in future titles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I did not enjoy Clan Creator in YK2 and I didn't do it at all besides the one time you're required by the story. Also that part really screws with the pacing

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When I initially heard about Clan Creator I was picturing something akin to like an Assassin's Creed style minigame, you know the one. Like Kiryu would get wrangled in to helping manage some low tier no-name Yakuza clan out in the middle of nowhere, he'd be all "Hmm, I don't know... I'm awful busy with this <looming Tojo Clan threat>" and then someone would introduce him to the brand new handy-dandy ClanApp for his phone so he can manage his Clan any time! And you'd turn it on and send soldiers out on missions and after X amount of time they'd come back. Like Majima's expeditions but themed for Kiryu and maybe a bit more of a strategy edge like MGSV's idea.

Instead it's a bad RTS.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I notice there is paid DLC for the Clan Creator mode in Y6 and I question who would ever, ever buy any of it :P

A much better mode with the same theme would have been something like a combination between Dynasty Warriors and the multi-party battles in FF6, where you plonk down guys at defensive chokepoints, and then (as Kiryu) run around the map assisting them as needed, in the game's normal fighting system. That seems like it honestly would have been easier to develop, as it's just using the existing fighting system instead of creating a whole new mode from scratch. Maybe the engine can't handle that many guys, though? Although that would be surprising as there are some HUGE battles in YK2...

Policenaut posted:

When I initially heard about Clan Creator I was picturing something akin to like an Assassin's Creed style minigame, you know the one. Like Kiryu would get wrangled in to helping manage some low tier no-name Yakuza clan out in the middle of nowhere, he'd be all "Hmm, I don't know... I'm awful busy with this <looming Tojo Clan threat>" and then someone would introduce him to the brand new handy-dandy ClanApp for his phone so he can manage his Clan any time! And you'd turn it on and send soldiers out on missions and after X amount of time they'd come back. Like Majima's expeditions but themed for Kiryu and maybe a bit more of a strategy edge like MGSV's idea.

Instead it's a bad RTS.

I was picturing something along those lines too, with the overall theme of building your own Yakuza family. I don't get why it's even called "Clan Creator" - it should be like "Majima's Construction Rumble" or something.

Come to think of it, you spend very little time in Yakuza actually being in the Yakuza. The only times I can remember (from having played 0 through K2) are the very beginnings of 0 and K1, and for like a minute at the end of K1.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 7, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Yakuza Musou might be cool tbh

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yakzua is already a yakuza musou

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah adding more bodies wouldn't really enhance or change kiryu's reign of totally deathless terror, I think

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Actually what I want is a game set in the 60s or 70s where you play as Shintaro Kazama. THAT would be amazing. Or maybe one set in the 50s themed around the Yakuza rising from the ashes of the devastation after WWII.

Or, I don't know, hundreds of years earlier in historical Japan. Boy, it'd be funny if they HAD made one of those, but never released it outside of Japan, right? Ha ha!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Y6 Clan Creator was better than the K2 one simply because the ending of that story was so loving goofy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like 6's clan creator better than YK2's because it didn't need me to pay as much attention while I left it running and did other stuff to grind out the trophies

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I thought both versions of clan creator were fun. :smith:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Well I wasn't expecting Goromi-chan, at all. That was something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't stand RTS as it is and clan creator doesn't help. I was especially disappointed because the tutorial with defenders/attackers/artillery/support briefly made it sound like a turn-based RPG, and I love those to bits. As it is I can't even see a way to utilize those roles in any way.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you can blast through it in an hour or so if you buy sayama and florist cards from psn (for k2 at least)

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just googled all the card codes and clowned on everyone from the first fight onwards.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

julian assflange posted:

I just googled all the card codes and clowned on everyone from the first fight onwards.

wait what

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Announce the Steam release date for Kiwami you cowards :argh:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are a set of passwords for some decent cards. Not as good as the dlc ones but still good.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jerusalem posted:

Announce the Steam release date for Kiwami you cowards :argh:

I finished 0 last weekend and I'm starting to think I'll actually need to 100% it before this happens :ohdear:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

History Comes Inside! posted:

There are a set of passwords for some decent cards. Not as good as the dlc ones but still good.

In Y6 anyway but I can’t remember if there were card codes for K2

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

julian assflange posted:

The top tier NJPW guys carved through Y6's CC with 0 effort. It's well worth googling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I honestly would have liked Clan Creator in Y6/K2 more if it had been just straight up a menu-combat gacha game thing instead of a bad RTS, but then again, I somehow got into Real Estate Royale which is literally just a clicker game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the noodle mini game from 5 needs to be in all yakuzas, they can add it via patch, they have the means.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

All of these minigames are better than the Catfights from Y0. What's with Japan's obsession with rock-paper-scissors? At least MesuKing from YK1 had the collection aspect and the absurdity of the main audience for the game being children.

Also Pocket Circuit from Y0/YK1 could have been SO much better. I wish they let you control the acceleration like real slot cars instead of just having the (mostly pointless) boost meter and the power to psychically will the cars to not fall off the track. And while I can usually forgive Yakuza's content reuse, they seriously just copy-pasted the entire thing into YK1 from Y0.

At least the plotline is peak Yakuza. Pocket Fighter is the greatest character.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i wont have you dissing Pocket Circuit.

best thing about Pocket Circuit in k1 is majima

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was too stupid to figure pocket racing out so I never finished the plot arc in K1. Outsmarted by a game for literal children :negative:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

i wont have you dissing Pocket Circuit.

best thing about Pocket Circuit in k1 is majima

Oh agreed. I just wish there was more to the gameplay itself... The customization is a great idea, but it doesn't really give you any feedback about how well it improves your chances on any specific course.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was too stupid to figure pocket racing out so I never finished the plot arc in K1. Outsmarted by a game for literal children :negative:

I ended up just looking up guides on what to build. Both games' storylines are worth going through for the easy CPs and the overall goofiness.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I still haven't finished pocket racing in Y0 because the last part I need is gated behind fuckin 1mil dream machines.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

I still haven't finished pocket racing in Y0 because the last part I need is gated behind fuckin 1mil dream machines.

nothing is gated, you can finish Y0 pocket racing with everything in the store or bought from other stores without ever getting lucky on dream machines.

also dream machines vary in price and result and lol if you dont have 100 billion yen already.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

And Tyler Too! posted:

Just use something a little worse and boost and you'll be fine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Unless you gently caress it up and fly off the track

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

E: boosted too hard and double posted

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

also dream machines vary in price and result and lol if you dont have 100 billion yen already.

The price isn't the annoying part, it's that every machine I pass by *isn't* a 1mil machine.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

The price isn't the annoying part, it's that every machine I pass by *isn't* a 1mil machine.

They cycle. You have to buy from the lower tier machines, then the big ones will be there. After you purchase from a 1 mil machine, they're back to low again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpaceCommie posted:

I finished 0 last weekend and I'm starting to think I'll actually need to 100% it before this happens :ohdear:

100% Yakuza 0 so they'll announce the Steam release date for Kiwami, you coward! :argh: