Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

This is kind of where the cynicism comes from for me. It's still a net positive to be more representative, sure, but they only did it (or rather, leaders only allowed it, in limited form, from the small team writing these blurbs) in the all consuming pursuit of More Dosh

So, yeah, thumbs up and all but I'm not giving Blizzard any credit here either. Writers, maybe, if I knew who they were

then again i'm a depressed cynic so hey yo

I think this is also a fair reaction. Obviously I'm not the What Reactions Are Valid, cop, I'm just adding my +1 to the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

remember that time she said that wizards would just poo poo themselves for centuries and that bathrooms were kind of a more modern thing for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1RMITgiPyk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should put character sexuality options in lootboxes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mutata posted:

I think this is also a fair reaction. Obviously I'm not the What Reactions Are Valid, cop, I'm just adding my +1 to the above.

it's really just an extension of Never Trust Companies Ever (or, perhaps, All Companies Are Bastards), but that's held me in okay stead for a while

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are Fallout 76 and Soldier 76 related?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are Fallout 76 and Soldier 76 related?

They husbands

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They both suck?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If a company is big enough to have a board of directors and/or shareholders, never assume that they are doing anything because it's the right thing to do. They might decide that doing something will look better and maybe make them more money and if that happens to be a morally correct decision than they'll just act like that's why they did it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

axelblaze posted:

If a company is big enough to have a board of directors and/or shareholders, never assume that they are doing anything because it's the right thing to do. They might decide that doing something will look better and maybe make them more money and if that happens to be a morally correct decision than they'll just act like that's why they did it.

yeah this

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

axelblaze posted:

I mean, do they do anything with anyone's sexuality in the game?

Honestly for a game with a fanbase as thirsty as Overwatch's there is not really all that much flirty dialogue in the game.

It's been a while for me but Reinhardt has a few warmup lines with Ana that are pretty flirty imo, I always thought it was a nice touch. It's not explicit about the exact nature of their relationship but it's clear that they have a long and deep friendship at the very least, and I think it's very easy to argue that Rein is nursing a crush.

It just annoys me that there's, for example, far more evidence of D.va being a Doritos gremlin than there is about Tracer having a girlfriend. I'm not out here to say that Blizzard needs to get Soldier yelling about how much he loves dick when he activates his ult, but like drat these kinds of things would get alluded to at the very least through conversations with old comerades and whatever Christmas card sprays they might get.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Chinese censors don't let you portray gay relationships in media and blizzard lusts for the Chinese market so you'll never see anything in-game.

Despite their character models, the actual content of Blizzard games are extremely unsexual anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Progress because progress makes money is still progress, even if it's worse than progress because they earnestly feel it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

They should put character sexuality options in lootboxes

Worked in Dark Souls 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm not out here to say that Blizzard needs to get Soldier yelling about how much he loves dick when he activates his ult

why not

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's been a while for me but Reinhardt has a few warmup lines with Ana that are pretty flirty imo, I always thought it was a nice touch. It's not explicit about the exact nature of their relationship but it's clear that they have a long and deep friendship at the very least, and I think it's very easy to argue that Rein is nursing a crush.

It just annoys me that there's, for example, far more evidence of D.va being a Doritos gremlin than there is about Tracer having a girlfriend. I'm not out here to say that Blizzard needs to get Soldier yelling about how much he loves dick when he activates his ult, but like drat these kinds of things would get alluded to at the very least through conversations with old comerades and whatever Christmas card sprays they might get.
It much pretty just comes down to that none of the characters get much development at all in the game itself.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That seems like a genre thing

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

That seems like a genre thing
Yeah, multiplayer shooters don't lend themselves well to that. Even TF2 had most of its plot and character stuff in animated shorts and comics just like Overwatch too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tracer talks about visiting Emily when you play in the London map. There are also sprays of her (and of Soldier's old bf now too). I'd also prefer more and more visible nods though.

Also while I generally agree and preach to not trust corps and companies, creative decisions like lore and such don't start with the board of directors, they start on the dev team.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Because that's gonna be McCree's new line

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

Tracer talks about visiting Emily when you play in the London map. There are also sprays of her (and of Soldier's old bf now too). I'd also prefer more and more visible nods though.

Also while I generally agree and preach to not trust corps and companies, creative decisions like lore and such don't start with the board of directors, they start on the dev team.

I guess I'm using corporations in more of a the unfortunately legal sense, in which you have to take them as a whole entity. The ideas for these types of things usually start with good intentions from somewhere in the company, but no matter how morally right it is, it's going to have a hell of a time getting in if anyone thinks it might lose them money.

Honestly people can still be happy when companies do stuff like this because it means that culture is shifting to the point where giant companies feel safer supporting LBGT rights than going against them or staying silent. That is still a great sign of progress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-division-2-will-be-on-the-epic-store-not-steam/

UBISoft is not releasing the Division 2 on Steam, this seems pretty major?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I forgot the epic store exists

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Was about to post this

But I think it’s good it’s getting a second chance

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The epic store has barely launched yet

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

homeless snail posted:

I remember it because there's a Supergiant game over there that I want to play but not enough to download a new thing

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Why would you buy a ubisoft game full price ever? They will give away the game a year later or you can grab it for a heavy discount(steep is $9).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brother is loving the poo poo out of hades at least. he never picked up dead cells but i did though so i think it slotted into that gap in his videogame library

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The Division might be the most boilerplate game in existence but I liked the survival mode where you had to hunt down gear and supplies in a blizzard with pvp.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hades looks sweet and I'm going to play the poo poo out of it when it comes out of early access

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

by gum i deleted my epic account to stop getting notifications of people trying to steal it and it's going to be a struggle to get me to try it again

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

by gum i deleted my epic account to stop getting notifications of people trying to steal it and it's going to be a struggle to get me to try it again

Why didn't you just send those messages to the trash?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Relax Or DIE posted:

The Division might be the most boilerplate game in existence but I liked the survival mode where you had to hunt down gear and supplies in a blizzard with pvp.

I had a fun time for a while trolling people in the dark zone and stealing their scarves, but the shine wore off quick.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

Why didn't you just send those messages to the trash?

i got tired of doing it. i was getting them daily

i suppose i could have setup a filter or something but it was just as easy to just contact epic and tell them to close the account which had nothing but shadow complex which i already have in like 3 other places

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

At this point I don't think I give a poo poo about having multiple programs installed to play games. I only play a few games at a time so I'll just keep Steam and whatever program the current game I'm playing is on on.

I'll just keep the others turned off, it's not like it takes any space.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Progress because progress makes money is still progress, even if it's worse than progress because they earnestly feel it.

Yeah that's kind of the bargain that has to be made now and for basically all of human history. Sometimes people are only going to do better when they can be convinced there's something in it for them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Attention all Epic Division gamers

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I bought Ashen on the epic store, it was fine. I had to use ds4windows because Steam's controller poo poo doesn't pass to non-steam games but not a big deal

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

lets hang out posted:

I bought Ashen on the epic store, it was fine. I had to use ds4windows because Steam's controller poo poo doesn't pass to non-steam games but not a big deal

Use the desktop configuration, you have to set up an action set for desktop surfing, but then save it as a template. I have one for destiny 2, another for overwatch, and another for for Honor.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Eternal Sonata update: the local lord of the land is using persuasive taxation to push the populace towards medicine that will secretly make them evil which is a move so nakedly corrupt I'm surprised the Tories haven't tried it yet.

Also I found the anime titties :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Codeacious posted:

Ever since EA claimed Anthem won't have lootboxes, I've been suspecting that they're going to implement a bastardized version of Warframe's monetization model. Probably just the same thing minus player trading, plus timed lockouts on grinding out frame parts.

one of the questions to get into the alpha was how you felt about purchasing things that make it so you can win the game