Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Truga posted:

i haven't experienced a bagger in my entire life of living in europe

Then where do high teenagers sit on their phone and text while at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they're in school, op

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Truga posted:

they're in school, op

:confused: But then how do they get their individuality and will ground out of them in time to join the labor force full time by 18? What a weird country this "Europe" is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are grocery baggers not a thing elsewhere? I guess ALDI is an European chain and they don't have baggers so...:shrug:

There are baggers at full-featured supermarkets. Heck, Publix will push your cart out to the car and help you load your trunk. Kroger baggers will scowl at you and put your eggs and bread on the bottom of the bag. Costco just tosses everything into your cart without bags.

The checkout attendent might do it but (in Australia) I've never seen someone there just to do the bagging.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are grocery baggers not a thing elsewhere? I guess ALDI is an European chain and they don't have baggers so...:shrug:

In the UK at least, sometimes the scouts or guides or charity groups will go into supermarkets and bag your shopping in exchange for a donation so you can pay a kid £2 to squash all your shopping together.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, and it comes up occasionally, though she still attends church to fit in and it doesn't come up too often. (I'm guessing since the writers can't be arsed doing much more research on Buddhism. They're not too bad with Apu's Hinduism relatively, at least in that while other characters do mock or misunderstand it they're clearly being disrespectful and ignorant)

There’s also the matter of her being a little girl. They can’t just leave her home alone every Sunday.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

My high school job in the states was bagging groceries, but I also had to stock shelves run maintenance throughout the store. When it was busy I'd sometimes have my name called over the PA system twice in sequence from two different departments wanting me to mop and bag groceries simultaneously.

For some reason I just kind of assumed the whole world worked like that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Self checkouts are the greatest blessing to an unhappy world, if you’re me. Watching people loving around trying to pay for their groceries with a jar of pennies, people who’ve never seen food or bags before trying to put food in bags- all a thing of the past. Saves me the most enormous amount of time; though my father in law (retired boomer with plenty of cash and time) will happily wait in a queue for 15 minutes to buy a pack of gum because ‘I don’t see why I should do the store’s job for them’, like scanning the gum and waving a contactless card is somehow work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The checkout attendent might do it but (in Australia) I've never seen someone there just to do the bagging.
Yeah, I'm not even sure what a bagger actually does. Like, I know what they do - put things in bags - but it seems like adding an extra person would just slow the process down? Instead of the person at the register scanning the items and putting them in a bag, they scan them and put them down for someone else to pick up and put into a bag? How is that helpful?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemada posted:

Self checkouts are the greatest blessing to an unhappy world, if you’re me. Watching people loving around trying to pay for their groceries with a jar of pennies, people who’ve never seen food or bags before trying to put food in bags- all a thing of the past. Saves me the most enormous amount of time; though my father in law (retired boomer with plenty of cash and time) will happily wait in a queue for 15 minutes to buy a pack of gum because ‘I don’t see why I should do the store’s job for them’, like scanning the gum and waving a contactless card is somehow work.

Those things aren't designed for people to roll up with a month's worth of groceries in a shopping trolley (I feel like they're more of a replacement for those "10 items or less" checkouts which you see fewer and fewer of these days) but people seem intent on trying it anyway. It can be kind of annoying when all you've got is a bottle of water and a packet of crisps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

Those things aren't designed for people to roll up with a month's worth of groceries in a shopping trolley (I feel like they're more of a replacement for those "10 items or less" checkouts which you see fewer and fewer of these days) but people seem intent on trying it anyway. It can be kind of annoying when all you've got is a bottle of water and a packet of crisps.

You'd be surprised at how much I can fit in a hand basket.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure what a bagger actually does. Like, I know what they do - put things in bags - but it seems like adding an extra person would just slow the process down? Instead of the person at the register scanning the items and putting them in a bag, they scan them and put them down for someone else to pick up and put into a bag? How is that helpful?

cashier rings up items, slides them down to the bagger and continues ringing items up. if the bagger's good, you'll have all your poo poo bagged ready to go, and in the cart before you pay.it cuts down the cashier's time considerably and why am i explaining how grocery stores work i have work to do wtf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have you been in a supermarket lately? They all have automated checkouts for full size shopping trips now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Have you been in a supermarket lately? They all have automated checkouts for full size shopping trips now.

I'd go to two supermarkets somewhat regularly; the Tesco Express near me which doesn't have trolleys, and the large Asda down the road for when I need anything substantial; it has about half a dozen self-checkouts and they're all clustered together such that you couldn't navigate a small trolley into the area when they're all in use (which they always are when I'm there). My practice is that if I think I'm going to need more than one of the three carrier bags I bring every time I go, I'll go to one of the manned checkout lanes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Truga posted:

they're in school, op

Solice Kirsk posted:

:confused: But then how do they get their individuality and will ground out of them in time to join the labor force full time by 18?

Truga posted:

they're in school, op

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen a dedicated bagger in my area in awhile. Sometimes if it's slow like late at night another cashier will bag while waiting for someone to go to their lane. It does go faster, especially if there's unwieldy things. The cashier having to stop to put a bag up and try to peel another off, or having to get out a big bag, or wrap up glass, can definitely slow poo poo down. Not enough that I think a dedicated bagger is necessary, but I'll jump in and bag if it's a big trip myself to make it go faster.

Also, in my area at least, when it was still common to see them, they were often either 15 years old, or developmentally disabled.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Simpsons takes place in all states because Springfield is every American small town.

Tangentially related:

One of my favorite throwaway riffs in an MST3k episode comes from Laserblast: one character tells another to call "the lab in Springfield" and Mike says, "Which Springfield? There's one in every state."

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

Also, in my area at least, when it was still common to see them, they were often either 15 years old, or developmentally disabled.

it depends on which store, in the southeast there's a grocery chain called publix which hires teens, recent immigrants, the mildly disabled, and other people who need a basic entry level job. they'll bag groceries and offer to carry them out to your car for you. publix also pays good wages w/ benefits so it's one of those make-work jobs that's actually useful for a society because everyone needs to get paid

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

it depends on which store, in the southeast there's a grocery chain called publix which hires teens, recent immigrants, the mildly disabled, and other people who need a basic entry level job. they'll bag groceries and offer to carry them out to your car for you. publix also pays good wages w/ benefits so it's one of those make-work jobs that's actually useful for a society because everyone needs to get paid

They also fight against gay rights and fair pay for farm workers!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

They also fight against gay rights and fair pay for farm workers!

any participation in capitalism taints all of us but in the meantime they pay good wages and benefits to workers which is better than an amoral company which pays crap

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

any participation in capitalism taints all of us but in the meantime they pay good wages and benefits to workers which is better than an amoral company which pays crap

They pay "good" wages but their non management employees still can't afford to shop there beyond the occasional BOGO sale and have to go somewhere without baggers.

Also there's a big difference between No Ethical Consumption and Company Actively and Purposefully Spends Millions To Cause Social Harm

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ok

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Company could be executing every sixth job applicant, who cares, we got rent to pay. It's cool to be aware of how evil any given company is but if that's the job I can get, that's the evil I'm gonna work for.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Turns out capitalism is the TV show that aged worst of all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what I always notice as a thing that ages tv shows and movies every single time?

Mobile phones.

Character whips out a phone and it instantly dates it. There's older (early 00s) shows I've watched which feel very modern, then a character produces a Nokia 3310 and it's instantly 2004 again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Since Publix is employee owned I guess that means it's employees are the antigay assholes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what I always notice as a thing that ages tv shows and movies every single time?

Mobile phones.

Character whips out a phone and it instantly dates it. There's older (early 00s) shows I've watched which feel very modern, then a character produces a Nokia 3310 and it's instantly 2004 again.

Rewatching the Sopranos and I'm amazed at how much people talk on their mobile phones. Paulie and Christopher are stranded in the forrest and they're trying to call Tony when it'd be so much easier to text or share their location.

And what the gently caress happened to that Russian who killed all the Czechs?

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jan 9, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mobile phones.

you mean the devices build on environmental degredation and exploitation of child and immigrant labor, creating some of the largest concentrations of capital on the planet and lashing all users into a voluntary web of privacy erosion and corporate espionage?

i find it weirder to see older dumbphones in shows than no mobile phones at all, everyone using landlines and pay phones makes more narrative sense than the odd period of calling after 9pm on a brick

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Since Publix is employee owned I guess that means it's employees are the antigay assholes.

What do you think "employee owned" means, specifically from the perspective of a cashier

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's because huge brick mobile phones only show up in 80s period pieces to show that a character is a yuppie or some sort of big shot, but when they were in 2000s movies it was because they were the latest technology and they were trying to show how up-to-date the characters were.

I remember in Hustle, the series started with the protagonists all using Nokia 3310 phones, then they switched the flip-phones, then they all got iPhones. It stands out when you binge it one go (as I have).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

cashier rings up items, slides them down to the bagger and continues ringing items up. if the bagger's good, you'll have all your poo poo bagged ready to go, and in the cart before you pay.it cuts down the cashier's time considerably and why am i explaining how grocery stores work i have work to do wtf

Also they’re not just bagging in the random order stuff gets scanned, when someone is just bagging things actually get organized and I don’t have a loaf of bread crushed under a gallon of milk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

What do you think "employee owned" means, specifically from the perspective of a cashier

It means they can purchase internal shares and employees (or a representative body that speaks for them) has a significant voting stake in the company. My guess is that they have at least some power in the corporate board as well.

They're all parts of the system and therefore just as worthy of the guillotine.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rewatching the Sopranos and I'm amazed at how much people talk on their mobile phones. Paulie and Christopher are stranded in the forrest and they're trying to call Tony when it'd be so much easier to text or share their location.

And what the gently caress happened to that Russian who killed all the Czechs?

No one knows. I enjoyed The Sopranos, but felt mystified as to the perception of that episode as basically the best episode of the show. It was pretty good, I guess?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mobile phones.

I remember Superman Returns feeling like that but in reverse. The movie seems like a period piece until a kid takes out a phone to take a picture of Superman flying down.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember thinking that the joke in the bagboy strike Simpsons episode was the sheer absurdity of there being a specific profession that just bags things.

But no apparently grocery baggers are an actual thing in America.

My first job was bagging groceries. I would make more in tips than my actual salary. That was nearly 40 years ago.

Bagging groceries is now a lost art form. I use reusable bags when I go grocery shopping and the baggers will cram as much as possible into one bag so that it's near bursting and hand me back the other ones empty. I almost always have to rebag everything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mobile phones.

There's a great detail in the Mick that Mickey still uses an old 2003 flip phone despite it being 2016. They don't say anything about it, it's just a visual gag.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mister Kingdom posted:

My first job was bagging groceries. I would make more in tips than my actual salary. That was nearly 40 years ago.

Bagging groceries is now a lost art form. I use reusable bags when I go grocery shopping and the baggers will cram as much as possible into one bag so that it's near bursting and hand me back the other ones empty. I almost always have to rebag everything.

You have fun with your properly weighted bags, the rest of us will continue to cram as much as possible into one bag so we don't have to make a bunch of trips to bring it inside
You also have to load yourself like a pack mule with bags hanging off every individual finger and clenched in your teeth and poo poo, because I got stuff to do that isn't carrying groceries up the stairs all morning

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

purple death ray posted:

You have fun with your properly weighted bags, the rest of us will continue to cram as much as possible into one bag so we don't have to make a bunch of trips to bring it inside
You also have to load yourself like a pack mule with bags hanging off every individual finger and clenched in your teeth and poo poo, because I got stuff to do that isn't carrying groceries up the stairs all morning

I can easily carry my three bags (at most) up a flight of stairs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was a bagger when I was a kid too. I was part of the grocer's union and everything! I had benefits and mandatory pay raises even as a part-time employee. I wasn't "technically" allowed to accept tips, but none of us ever turned them down, and so long as you didn't mention "Hey I got a tip!" in front of management you'd never get in trouble for it. I also broke my hand when it got caught between a bunch of shopping carts and I got paid time off and all of my medical bills paid for.

I guess the gist of this story is that every job should have a union/guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's because huge brick mobile phones only show up in 80s period pieces to show that a character is a yuppie or some sort of big shot, but when they were in 2000s movies it was because they were the latest technology and they were trying to show how up-to-date the characters were.

I remember in Hustle, the series started with the protagonists all using Nokia 3310 phones, then they switched the flip-phones, then they all got iPhones. It stands out when you binge it one go (as I have).

Just make everyone use the shell phone from It Follows and this problem can be avoided.