Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crabtree posted:

The White House just released a statement that the wall exists, has been paid for and is invisible. Everything's fine and he won bigly.

I still think that's the most likely end scenario for this.

I mean, not the invisible part. But they cave and just insist they didn't and the wall is being built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Crabtree posted:

The White House just released a statement that the wall exists, has been paid for and is invisible. Everything's fine and he won bigly.

Do you have a link?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Oh my God, I wish there had been cameras in the room.
Here's what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikgLIK9OlU&t=196s

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

citybeatnik posted:

DHS is taking a hit as well, at least on my end. I pity the poor bastards that are going to have to pull ballbreaking shifts to get the backlog of USCIS' FOIA requests input and ready for processing.

You think the GOP cares about FOIA requests?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
He'll declare an emergency, sign a clean CR and declare victory while it works through the court system and gets shot down in 6 months. And then we'll be on to the next bit of madness.

It's basically the only way for him to save face at this point.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1083110527352467456

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At some point someone is going to realize "Wait, what's the point of this? We can just cave and a year from now when we're campaigning say 'we won and are building the wall' and Fox News will just repeat the lie and everyone at our rallies will believe it. What's the point of all this actually trying to get something done?"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a thing. For the first week or so of the shutdown, his disapproval rating was going up but his approval rating wasn't going down, meaning it was essentially only perpetually undecided voters who were having a negative reaction to the shutdown. But the longer it went on, his approval rating started dipping too, which means he's losing actual Republican voters.
For all the talk of the die-hard MAGACUDs, Trump's approval rating among conservatives is surprisingly soft.

Look at the difference between "Somewhat" and "Strongly Approve", and compare it to the difference between "Somewhat" and "Strongly Disapprove." A lot of the people who support Trump do it reflexively and half-heartedly because he's a Republican, but people who don't like Trump literally all just loving hate him.

That's not to say that the "Somewhat Approve" people are going to come to their senses or become non-racists, but what it does mean is that if Trump's base ever fractures, it's going to break hard.

EDIT: fixed img tags

This is an excellent post, and Trump's approval ratings are something I've been thinking a lot about recently. Mostly, why were they dipping into the low 30s in his first year, but relatively consistent at 42% in 2018?

So political junkies who follow politics, or even just people who are "woke" know Trump is lovely and every week we can clearly see he does something stupid, racist, or insane. However most people I think just tune him out, and politics entirely if they can.

In 2017 you had the fight to get rid of the Affordable Care Act, which was not popular, followed immediately by the Tax Cut debate, which was just as unpopular. On top of that, you had Trump very publicly threatening North Korea with war, and the Russiagate was just beginning. Oh, Charlottesville happened too!

In 2018 those debates ended and Congress didn't really do anything except prepare for the mid-terms. North Korea dropped from the public consciousness as Trump and Kim became best friends (at least on camera). The economy took off, and Russia gate is forever in the background. In other-words, times were good for most people, and as a result most people tuned out of politics entirely (at least until the midterms). If Trump wasn't Trump and acted with any sort of decorum, his approval ratings would easily have topped 50%.

This shutdown is the first thing Trump has done to affect a net majority of the American people directly since the 2017 tax cut debate, and the sliding approval ratings show that. As the consequences start to become more real, to more people, I expect his support to decline as a result.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Crabtree posted:

They used the same technology they used for the F-35, it's incredible.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tir McDohl posted:

Do you have a link?

Yeah, click right here for it:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You think the GOP cares about FOIA requests?

They'll probably start caring once the lawsuits start flooding in. I got my start during the last big delay and that's basically the reason why they started flinging money at folks to get through the backlog.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

my bony fealty posted:

Being raised in a society that emphasizes your job as a direct indication of your value as a human being is a hell of a thing

The concept of having loyalty to an employer and staying at a job for decades is loool

A few pages back but this is extremely true. I was laid off two months before my daughter was born and wound up taking literally the first job I could find, which was a receiving clerk at Walmart. I told myself it was a short thing, but three years later I started getting depressed. I joked that if I was still there long enough to get my ten-year pin I'd blow my brains out, and then it stopped feeling like a joke. When I found myself idly wondering what day of the week my Ten Year Plan would end, I got scared and went in for therapy.

I remember telling my therapist that even if I intellectually knew I was more than my job, the fact remained that if he won the lottery or committed a hit-and-run the next day the newspaper would say "Local therapist wins lottery/commits hit-and-run". It's such a HARD feeling to overcome.

gently caress Walmart. The day I put in my two weeks notice was legit one of the happiest days of my life; I've heard the expression "walking on clouds" and it honestly felt that way with each step.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spite posted:

He'll declare an emergency, sign a clean CR and declare victory while it works through the court system and gets shot down in 6 months. And then we'll be on to the next bit of madness.

It's basically the only way for him to save face at this point.

Kicking it down the line 6 months from now basically puts it into 2020 campaign territory and reminds everyone of what accomplishments Trump has actually had: none.

It's clear that he doesn't want that to happen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

They used the same technology they used for the F-35, it's incredible.

So Mexico just has to wait for it to rain?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

STAC Goat posted:

At some point someone is going to realize "Wait, what's the point of this? We can just cave and a year from now when we're campaigning say 'we won and are building the wall' and Fox News will just repeat the lie and everyone at our rallies will believe it. What's the point of all this actually trying to get something done?"

The Wall may be too much of a sticking point for the normal "deny reality, let fox news carry our message to the people we need to vote to keep us in office" strategy to work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
He's never signing a clean CR. Even if he declares a national emergency to start the wall.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Young Freud posted:

Kicking it down the line 6 months from now basically puts it into 2020 campaign territory and reminds everyone of what accomplishments Trump has actually had: none.

It's clear that he doesn't want that to happen.

I'm not sure Trump can think that far ahead

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

STAC Goat posted:

Because outside of the unpopular tax cut for the rich, Trump has jack poo poo outside of some judges. That isn't visceral or visible or enough. They need something bigger and impressive like a wall. They've built up a tolerance and need to win harder.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mango sentinel posted:

He's never signing a clean CR. Even if he declares a national emergency to start the wall.

Agreed, only way out is a veto override at this point.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It’s all he’s thinking about right now. Trump is campaigning only he’s using the average fed employees paycheck to foot the bill.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tir McDohl posted:

Do you have a link?

https://www.amazon.com/Emperors-New-Clothes-Karthik-Chandran/dp/B072WQ7SQ6

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Now that I think of it there's also all of the deportation hearings and the like which are now being backlogged for months because surprise if your furlough IJs and GAs the whole thing grinds to a halt.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/parscale/status/1083076758986022912

Trumps 2020 campaign manager

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Now that I think of it there's also all of the deportation hearings and the like which are now being backlogged for months because surprise if your furlough IJs and GAs the whole thing grinds to a halt.

Try years. Cases that are being bumped are getting rescheduled years out. There is zero wiggle room in immigration courts to handle this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pakled posted:

The Wall may be too much of a sticking point for the normal "deny reality, let fox news carry our message to the people we need to vote to keep us in office" strategy to work.

He's certainly hosed up and made a big spotlight on it, but I've never been convinced that the Wall was some needle on the camel's back of his supporters. What was Ann Coulter going to do if they had just signed the CR in December? Start supporting Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic candidate? Of course not. She would of screamed for a little while and then blamed Mitch McConnell. Or hell, Paul Ryan would have just taken all the poo poo as a parting gift. Trump's just a moron who bit on the bluff and now is bluffing himself. But like, if he caves then what are his supporters gonna do? They're not backing the Democrats and no one's primarying Trump from the right. The entire reason Trump is President is because Republicans hold their nose and vote team red in the end.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. The idea that the wall was the one thing that he HAD to deliver on just feels like something we started saying so we believe it. I dunno.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1083126992696950785

Fear not, Jared will save us!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Has anyone wondered this? Anyone????

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Bullshit.

https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1083094232880087042

https://twitter.com/Legski0301/status/1083102421382057986
:ughh:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 9, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Really? There are REALLY lots of reporters turning their weary eyes to Jared to save America? Really?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Doesn't it seem a mistake to put the heat only on Trump who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone? Why not put the heat on McConnell and focus on him at the same time? He'd be much more likely to bend to reality under sufficient pressure, I'd think.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Seems likely that Trump thought this would be some perfect made-for-TV moment where he came down firm and the opposition cracked under the weight of his intellectual and bargaining prowess.

Dunning Kruger is a hell of a drug.

He probably does think this makes him look good. After all, if you believe that the wall is a morally good thing for America, then you'll actually be quite happy to see him willing to push hard for it even if it means taking federal workers hostage. On the flip side, I remember that a lot of us were extremely disappointed when Schumer let the DREAMers down by caving on DACA because he was scared a government shutdown would make him look bad.

Sure, maybe in the end, the Congressional GOP will flip and side with the Dems to overcome Trump's resistance. And if that happens, wall supporters will remember them as the betrayers who wrecked Trump's righteous stand for what they wanted, and blame the Dems for staying firm against the wall rather than just folding like they did the last time a government shutdown came up.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

What are they polling? The residence's living room?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Retro42 posted:

Try years. Cases that are being bumped are getting rescheduled years out. There is zero wiggle room in immigration courts to handle this.

Huh. I'd heard "years" before but lumped that together in my head with asylum hearings and reasonable fear interviews and not standard hearings. Whoopsiedoodle on their part I guess.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Literally nothing about this tweet makes sense

did I just step into an alternate reality

am I having a stroke?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
In another timeline a very Blue Texas temporarily secedes and tells Donny to gently caress off. Cant build a wall in Texastopia you fat gently caress

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How did Trump outperform in 2018 if he wasn't on any ballot?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Haschel Cedricson posted:

A few pages back but this is extremely true. I was laid off two months before my daughter was born and wound up taking literally the first job I could find, which was a receiving clerk at Walmart. I told myself it was a short thing, but three years later I started getting depressed. I joked that if I was still there long enough to get my ten-year pin I'd blow my brains out, and then it stopped feeling like a joke. When I found myself idly wondering what day of the week my Ten Year Plan would end, I got scared and went in for therapy.

I remember telling my therapist that even if I intellectually knew I was more than my job, the fact remained that if he won the lottery or committed a hit-and-run the next day the newspaper would say "Local therapist wins lottery/commits hit-and-run". It's such a HARD feeling to overcome.

gently caress Walmart. The day I put in my two weeks notice was legit one of the happiest days of my life; I've heard the expression "walking on clouds" and it honestly felt that way with each step.

I liked this article on burnout in millenials because despite it being a lot of navel gazing, it had some pretty solid points. I definitely have felt some major burnout in what was basically my childhood, because everything was structured in a way that had you either progressing towards a good career or failing in that duty. "Unstructured time" is seen as a detriment that can drag you down because you aren't doing enough to make it.

The biggest sign of this for me (besides decades of depression) is that up until university I was an avid reader. I loveeeed books. I have maybe read five books since then, 10 years ago, because *still* I have an ingrained sense of *shame* that comes from reading, since if I am reading for fun then I could be reading for work and studying like I should do for my career. Everyone that I know (mostly STEMlords like myself) have had the same experience. It's so weird and yet seems to be the same across the board.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

Doesn't it seem a mistake to put the heat only on Trump who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone? Why not put the heat on McConnell and focus on him at the same time? He'd be much more likely to bend to reality under sufficient pressure, I'd think.

I don't think its worth picking a fight with Mitch. As soon as you start passing funding stuff and he refuses to put it up for votes he stops being able to stand on the sidelines.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Edit: I'm a dummy who didn't read real good.

The Super-Id fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 9, 2019

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Huh. I'd heard "years" before but lumped that together in my head with asylum hearings and reasonable fear interviews and not standard hearings. Whoopsiedoodle on their part I guess.

Yeah, my info is based on master calendar hearings and the like getting pushed back obscene amounts of time. Things aren’t THAT bad yet (from a standard immigration court is always a mess context) but it’s getting messier by the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/1083124303594483713