Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Druid seems like a nice upgrade for Elfball, especially if it's splashing red for Rhythm of the Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kill the entire Gatewatch besides Liliana, since she's the only one with a semblance of human motivations and personality.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bolas is going to become the living dragon's maze

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What if the spell is to eat the Nephilim and absorb their power? It would explain why he needs to be on Ravnica.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Randaconda posted:

Kill the entire Gatewatch besides Liliana, since she's the only one with a semblance of human motivations and personality.

Ajani can stay

Witch and the Catman, coming this fall

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Unfortunately the Chandra comic that is currently running takes place after RAV3 so at least she survives.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Ajani puts a 1/1 counter on that mana elf.

I'm not sure what deck THAT is, but it beats Ironshell Beetle.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baller Ina posted:

Ajani can stay

Witch and the Catman, coming this fall

I'd watch it.

edit: especially if it featured Nyissa, but only if she's hella racist again.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tainen posted:

No idea yet but the general plan seems to be to lure all the planeswalkers to Ravnica, use the immortal sun to trap them there, flood the plane with the Eternal army from Amonkhet and then... do something.

The description on the novel makes it sound like the end game is to steal all the sparks.

"dozens" of planeswalkers, is this going to be the planeswalker set that wotc has steadfastly denied would ever exist

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

All creatures are planeswalkers in the set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rkajdi posted:

So some dumb modern theorycrafting:

Between light up a stage and risk factor, red is getting some very strong card draw/advantage. A now skewer the critics is another spell on curve for burn at least at a mana level. Do you think that moving closer to a pure red burn deck in modern is playable? Less creatures (maybe just a set of vexing devils and a lavamancer) and fewer boros spells to accomodate a more simple mana base (fetch + mountains) and playsets of those three spells plus some of the overlooked spells that are high mana/dmg ratio like shard volley. Maybe also browbeat for a similar effect if you think people are actually going to let you draw.

You could probably even go with something more like normal boros burn by trimming things like skullcrack out of the mainboard. You're just tossing creatures and low ratio burn spells for stuff that is going to be going straight to face. I don't know if it's actually good, but the changes are going to be cheap if you already have any risk factors, meaning if you have time to play you might as well try it out.

People have been messing around with Risk Factor, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Vexing Devil sucks because it's a punisher card so your opponent will just choose whichever option is better for them. Lavaman is like, not bad, but clearly the fourth best creature since the top 3 all either have haste or pseudo-haste and mana is at a premium in some matchups. You can't play too many Shard Volleys because it's a pseudo 3 mana spell since you still probably need to cast spells afterwards, but you see people play 1-2 sometimes.

Anyway you might be able to move away from white mana after this set comes out, but the question is why would you(assuming budget is not an issue)? In Legacy, Burn also plays PoP and Wastelands are everywhere so there's a real incentive to avoid duals, since a more complicated manabase can gently caress you over. More controlling decks in Modern will try to white screw you, but they're really not that large a percentage of the meta, and you lose access to RiP out of the sideboard. I think monored burn/phoenix will get closer in power level to RW, but still be weaker.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 9, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Uncommon, one per pack Planeswalkers like Legendaries in Dominaria.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

:barf: think of the gameplay

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

"dozens" of planeswalkers, is this going to be the planeswalker set that wotc has steadfastly denied would ever exist

It’s possible. MaRo answered a bunch of questions last week about a Planeswalker heavy set and pretty much said it wouldn’t happen... unless it made sense narratively.

I’m thinking that if the story is about walkers losing their sparks that maybe we get reverse origins walkers that start as walkers and transform to creatures.

If we are doing a planar battle story though then let’s go all out and do Plane cards like from Planechase that work like constants from Netrunner.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 9, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rkajdi posted:

So some dumb modern theorycrafting:

Between light up a stage and risk factor, red is getting some very strong card draw/advantage. A now skewer the critics is another spell on curve for burn at least at a mana level. Do you think that moving closer to a pure red burn deck in modern is playable? Less creatures (maybe just a set of vexing devils and a lavamancer) and fewer boros spells to accomodate a more simple mana base (fetch + mountains) and playsets of those three spells plus some of the overlooked spells that are high mana/dmg ratio like shard volley. Maybe also browbeat for a similar effect if you think people are actually going to let you draw.

You could probably even go with something more like normal boros burn by trimming things like skullcrack out of the mainboard. You're just tossing creatures and low ratio burn spells for stuff that is going to be going straight to face. I don't know if it's actually good, but the changes are going to be cheap if you already have any risk factors, meaning if you have time to play you might as well try it out.

I think the numbers have been crunched and a deck with Goblin Guide and bolts is much more efficient than a deck with just bolts.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the numbers have been crunched and a deck with Goblin Guide and bolts is much more efficient than a deck with just bolts.

Right, goblin guide represents something like 3.5 damage on average every time you play it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shalai puts counters on all creatures you control, go Bant Adapt for her and Ajani

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

People have been messing around with Risk Factor, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Vexing Devil sucks because it's a punisher card so your opponent will just choose whichever option is better for them. Lavaman is like, not bad, but clearly the fourth best creature since the top 3 all either have haste or pseudo-haste and mana is at a premium in some matchups. You can't play too many Shard Volleys because it's a pseudo 3 mana spell since you still probably need to cast spells afterwards, but you see people play 1-2 sometimes.

Anyway you might be able to move away from white mana after this set comes out, but the question is why would you(assuming budget is not an issue)? In Legacy, Burn also plays PoP and Wastelands are everywhere so there's a real incentive to avoid duals, since a more complicated manabase can gently caress you over. More controlling decks in Modern will try to white screw you, but they're really not that large a percentage of the meta, and you lose access to RiP out of the sideboard. I think monored burn/phoenix will get closer in power level to RW, but still be weaker.

Budget isn't the issue, esp since I have a full set of all the components to current modern burn. I want to try some new stuff out and do something different that might not be practiced against as much as standard boros burn is. Vexing devil was trying to force the issue with risk factor a bit more, because people are way less willing to take damage from punisher effects once they realize there's 12 (VD, RF, and js'd RF) of them in the deck. Though I guess that swiftspears would become better than they already are when they get more spells going a turn. I was thinking lavamancer because it's a way to do face damage for cheap (to trigger spectacle) that cannot be countered and doesn't require a card. I was thinking a less complex manabase would also help in mirror matches, since fetch + shock is like taking another spell to the face, and I play against burn locally a bit. If you're suggesting my wild hare isn't actually any good, I'll just drop the idea.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I played my Magic Origins Standard monored deck against my friend's modern burn deck and we decided it was probably actually favoured due to the manabase. Admittedly this was when Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon were in standard.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Finally, a home for all the planeswalker deck reprints that we've all been clamoring for!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This but unironically.

But they all have a single +0 ability and start with 3 loyalty.

(yes this would be almost identical to a creature with a tap ability with "use this only as a sorcery" and a 0/2 body)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Except you can attack them. I assume uncommon planeswalkers would never have plus abilities, they could even not have +0 abilities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bring the Chinese planeswalkers into Standard, it still feels weird that Wizards is making China-only product

Tainen posted:

Another possible RAV3 mechanic that would fit in with the Bolas battle.

From an old MaRo article

Remember Fortify

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

From an old MaRo article

quote:

During Ravnica design, Richard Garfield had created a new card type he called structures. To reflect the city feel of the set, Richard had come up with the idea of a card type that had enchantment-y / artifact-y type effects but could only be destroyed if it took enough damage from creatures. To allow this, the card type let creatures attack it. The flavor was that there were mystical buildings in the city that had the power to create magical effects, but unlike an enchantment, the building could be destroyed by creatures who could tear it down.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Baller Ina posted:

Next set is a side story at a magical academy

Our focus character? Tamiyo, Lunology Professor

I’m into the idea of Tolarian Hogwarts set more than I care to admit.

Also Tolarian is spellchecked but not Hogwarts. Outrageous!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tainen posted:

From an old MaRo article

That mechanic was repurposed into Planeswalkers, we have been living with it for a long time

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bring the Chinese planeswalkers into Standard, it still feels weird that Wizards is making China-only product

Portal: Three Kingdoms was (mostly) exclusive to China.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

That mechanic was repurposed into Planeswalkers, we have been living with it for a long time

Wow for some reason in my head Ravnica was several years after Lorwyn.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember Fortify

I hope they never do Fortify because it seems like "equipment for land" is such a boring design space (unless they went full Phyrexian on it and basically let you skullclamp lands or some poo poo).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

GrandpaPants posted:

All creatures are planeswalkers in the set.

Flat out dual typed "Legendary Creature Planeswalker - Cat Warrior Shaman Ajani" style would be wild.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This slots pretty well into Selesnya Tokens in Standard, although I don't know if it's a strict upgrade in utility to something like Adanto Vanguard.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So how well do U/G decks do in limited without something like Wilderness Reclamation? Those goodboyes and adapt abilities are all fairly pricy and blue generally wants to keep mana up for counterspells yes?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

limited is always way slower and non-card ways to spend mana is good

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So how well do U/G decks do in limited without something like Wilderness Reclamation? Those goodboyes and adapt abilities are all fairly pricy and blue generally wants to keep mana up for counterspells yes?

A lot of the Adapt creatures are just efficient threats by themselves. If you play a big beefy boy, and your opponent taps out, you get to swing in and threaten to activate Adapt or play a combat trick to punish them, and if they hold mana up you get to pass back, holding up instants and if they do nothing you get to Adapt.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

The ooze lord is pretty sweet. It doesn’t say “each other ooze you Control” like many of these types of cards do so your ooze lord grows at your end step as well.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 10, 2019

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Ooh, Captive Audience is a spicy little design. Too expensive to do stuff competitively, but I like it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Cool ooze.

Didnt see this one here so.

https://twitter.com/ScarizardPlays/status/1083128030434738176

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ooh, Captive Audience is a spicy little design. Too expensive to do stuff competitively, but I like it.

Are Academy Rector shenanigans a thing in any format besides EDH?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Are Academy Rector shenanigans a thing in any format besides EDH?

I think some of the nic fit variants do rector shenanigans, but not that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tainen posted:

The ooze lord is pretty sweet. It doesn’t say “each other ooze you Control” like many of these types of cards do so your ooze lord grows at your end step as well.

Almost pack ooze. So close.