Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

really need to amend my impressions, the Hifiman Arya's have coupling issues. just realized that the pads had a small gap on my face, which means less bass response. after doing some more adjusting I fixed it w/ a nice seal and now I have actual textured bass slam. it isn't as firm as the LCD-X, but it's still there in good quantity. conclusion remains the same however.

e: can't emphasize how important amplification is for these. almost dead certain they're in the same league of sensitivity as the Hifiman Susvara even though it's specced as being more sensitive. have my JDS Labs Atom cranked up to the 2'o clock position on high gain to even approach 110 db SPL, which is just stupid when you think about the level current running through the cans.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got a Schiit Modi 2 (non uber) DAC plugged into my PC, connected to the aux in of an Astro Mixamp, and from there to my Sennheiser HD598 phones (and cheap computer speakers--the Mixamp has a "stream" port on the back and a headphone port on the front--for when i don't feel like 'phones).

Am I likely to notice any real difference if I change out the Mixamp for a Magni 3 or other similar product?

(edit: incidentally does anyone find the irreverent writing on the Schiit website annoying, or is that just me)

(ETA: 90%+ of my listening is video games, maybe 9% music and the rest youtubin though usually it's phones off for that)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 5, 2019

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

What's the best value DIY amp in the ~$1000 range? I haven't followed headphones since about 2003, and I still have a Millet Hybrid MAX PCB laying around. I'm looking for a hobby project and thought it would be fun - I'll probably build the Millet MAX one way or another, but I'm utterly lost as to what the current "state of the art" is for DIY amps.

The new Millet Torpedo III looks interesting - but I'm also very interested in building an OTL amp. That means Bottlehead (from what I can tell), but I'm wary of buying a "kit" - I feel like a lot of the value you get out of a DIY amp is sourcing high quality parts individually, and I'm skeptikal that the "kits" from them really represent that value. Convenience, absolutely, but...

I'll be driving and HD650 or likely HD800, depending on how badly I get back into this. Either way, high impedance cans.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

forbidden dialectics posted:

What's the best value DIY amp in the ~$1000 range? I haven't followed headphones since about 2003, and I still have a Millet Hybrid MAX PCB laying around. I'm looking for a hobby project and thought it would be fun - I'll probably build the Millet MAX one way or another, but I'm utterly lost as to what the current "state of the art" is for DIY amps.

The new Millet Torpedo III looks interesting - but I'm also very interested in building an OTL amp. That means Bottlehead (from what I can tell), but I'm wary of buying a "kit" - I feel like a lot of the value you get out of a DIY amp is sourcing high quality parts individually, and I'm skeptikal that the "kits" from them really represent that value. Convenience, absolutely, but...

I'll be driving and HD650 or likely HD800, depending on how badly I get back into this. Either way, high impedance cans.

depends. head-case.org still has one of the better DIY sections, and it's the only one that Kevin Gilmore is still active on iirc https://www.head-case.org/forums/forum/16-do-it-yourself/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
China getting into boutique electronics pretty much killed DIY as a value proposition so the community fizzled.

I don’t use it much anymore, but I still like my Millet Max.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I've got a Schiit Modi 2 (non uber) DAC plugged into my PC, connected to the aux in of an Astro Mixamp, and from there to my Sennheiser HD598 phones (and cheap computer speakers--the Mixamp has a "stream" port on the back and a headphone port on the front--for when i don't feel like 'phones).

Am I likely to notice any real difference if I change out the Mixamp for a Magni 3 or other similar product?

(edit: incidentally does anyone find the irreverent writing on the Schiit website annoying, or is that just me)

(ETA: 90%+ of my listening is video games, maybe 9% music and the rest youtubin though usually it's phones off for that)

not really, no. a Magni 3 is kind of overkill for the HD598. if you had something from the 6XX series, or even 58X's, different story.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

About what I figured, thanks. Neither the 598s or my Sony MDR-7506s (I go back and forth on which I like more) seem to really need an amp to function well, anyway--or at least they 'pass' the "can be driven by smartphone jack" test

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Im in need of some cheap earbuds that i can bare to lose or get damaged. I remeber people had posted some 10$ish headphones that people were buying a couple at a time. Does anyone know what i am talking about? I just remember them having some garish color scheme.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 8, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want cheap as hell IEMs or earbuds then honestly there is a lot of choice available.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

ughhhh posted:

Im in need of some cheap earbuds that i can bare to lose or get damaged. I remeber people had posted some 10$ish headphones that people were buying a couple at a time. Does anyone know what i am talking about? I just remember them having some garish color scheme.

I've gone through 5 pairs of the cheapo Sony iems sold at best buy thanks to a new puppy. They are *fine* for most listening, but you won't be delighting in any part of it. I heartily recommend them when you need cheap poo poo ones to ruin on vacation or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ughhhh posted:

Sounds like you may be talking about Panasonic HJE120s, used to be really popular in the Extremely Cheap category. Surprisingly good sound for ~$8, but the wires are thiiiiin.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ughhhh posted:

Why not just get some Anker BT ones for $20?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ughhhh posted:

The KZ ATE, ATR and ZS3 are all fantastic iems for the $10 mark. If you want earbuds, the VE Monk is amazing for the price.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The KZ ATE, ATR and ZS3 are all fantastic iems for the $10 mark. If you want earbuds, the VE Monk is amazing for the price.

It was the VE Monk that I was thinking about.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna a go check them out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Like liquid sex being pumped directly in to my ear...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

I would like to test these vs the BGVP DM6 which I have. I'd describe the DM6s like that as well. Super badass Dynamic driver vs 5 balanced armatures. Who will win?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tough to say. I've listened to some really impressive Chinese stuff over the past couple of years from Toneking etc. but not the DM6s. If the EX800STs have one clear advantage, it's that it's a single driver IEM. No having to gently caress about with crossovers and their associated problems. On the other hand, a good BA will likely still have an absolute resolution advantage over a larger dynamic.

One thing that the DM6s definitely have is that they use an industry standard cable that's easy to replace. The Sonys use a customized connector.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Tough to say. I've listened to some really impressive Chinese stuff over the past couple of years from Toneking etc. but not the DM6s. If the EX800STs have one clear advantage, it's that it's a single driver IEM. No having to gently caress about with crossovers and their associated problems. On the other hand, a good BA will likely still have an absolute resolution advantage over a larger dynamic.

One thing that the DM6s definitely have is that they use an industry standard cable that's easy to replace. The Sonys use a customized connector.

The DM6s sound like they have a dynamic driver in them. It's actually kind of amazing for a full BA set. My reference set is a 10mm driver and the DM6s are even better for 99% of stuff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

How's the comfort re: long listening sessions? 4-5 hours okay?

I'm assuming you want to listen to these via a DAP or equivalent for impedance reasons?

My current IEMs are the Fiio F9 triples but with the stock tips swapped for Comply foam isolation with filters. Fixed the treble issues they had stock. I only use them for days when it's too hot to wear over ears.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 10, 2019

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone had any problems with a Bluetooth headset only outputting through one side when on Bluetooth, but outputs fine through both sides work if wired up?

Happens on my wife's iPhone and my Galaxy S9+, I guess something has gone wonky with with the bt chip in the headset itself.

Headphones are JVC ha-s88bn.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DancingShade posted:

How's the comfort re: long listening sessions? 4-5 hours okay?

I'm assuming you want to listen to these via a DAP or equivalent for impedance reasons?

I used the EX800STs for something like three hours straight yesterday and they're very comfortable. They're just so damned good I just spaced out and listened to music. I have great difficulty using over-ears due to TMJ issues, so I prefer IEMs and the EX800STs just stomp the poo poo out of anything else I own, including my XBA-4s and Kef M200s. They are astonishingly good for the money.

They're also very easy to drive (16 ohm impedance and 108dB/mW sensitivity) and don't require a specialized source. They sound fine straight out of my phone, but I use them with an XtremePro X1, which is an ESS 9023 based USB DAC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally tossed the analytic ear pads on my DT 1990's and I have to say I like them quite a bit better. I can't really put my finger on what the differences are, but they're definitely there. This poo poo is crazy.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

fknlo posted:

I finally tossed the analytic ear pads on my DT 1990's and I have to say I like them quite a bit better. I can't really put my finger on what the differences are, but they're definitely there. This poo poo is crazy.
I wouldn’t listen to the 1990’s without the analytic pads, they remove the warmness and damping the balance pads introduce, so they’re super clean and airy.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HP3OB0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lost these today, great bang for the buck though. I prefer wired and it's for gym use only basically. do you guys have any recommendations in the $40-90ish range now that it's 2019.

Sorry I can't read this whole gigantic thread but new stuff is coming out all the time so hopefully you guys wouldn't mind putting me in the right direction.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I wouldn’t listen to the 1990’s without the analytic pads, they remove the warmness and damping the balance pads introduce, so they’re super clean and airy.

Yeah, I like them a lot.

I bought an Earstudio ES100 to listen to them at work but it's not quite enough to really push them, so I'm shopping for another set of headphones :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

For those of you that have tried both the LCD-X and HD 800 S, how much wider is the soundstage on the ladder on a noticeable level? I've found this is one of my favorite aspects of upgrading to the LCD-Xs.

I'm kind of considering buying a different pair for the same of variety and building a collection, I'm thinking of snagging another high end pair a few months from now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HP3OB0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lost these today, great bang for the buck though. I prefer wired and it's for gym use only basically. do you guys have any recommendations in the $40-90ish range now that it's 2019.

Sorry I can't read this whole gigantic thread but new stuff is coming out all the time so hopefully you guys wouldn't mind putting me in the right direction.

Me too please. Mine someone how caught in a loop of fabric that rubbed the wire in half. It was bizzare

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the current best low cost (~100) bluetooth earphones to recommend for my sister? Needs to last all day, so between that and the low cost I assume we'll be looking at connected-with-a-cord rather than little seperate pods. She's not used to in-ear but she's willing to give it a go, especially since most earpods are these days.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 13, 2019

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

For those of you that have tried both the LCD-X and HD 800 S, how much wider is the soundstage on the ladder on a noticeable level? I've found this is one of my favorite aspects of upgrading to the LCD-Xs.

I'm kind of considering buying a different pair for the same of variety and building a collection, I'm thinking of snagging another high end pair a few months from now.

having owned both, HD800S is like listening to speakers in a well treated room, or the closest to that experience. HD800S if nothing else are detail retrieval and soundstage kings. LCD-X does have soundstage for sure, but nothing matches the HD800S in how "big" or "wide" the room sounds.

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
I'm working in a pretty open office - about 30 people in fairly small space - and many people slacking off, talking, and joking around, making it a pretty noisy work environment. My job also involves a fair amount of traveling (airplanes, trains.) Therefore, I've been recently looking into ANC headphones.

I usually love Sennheiser, but the PXC550 seems to lose most reviews against similarly priced headphones. Now, I've been mostly looking into the Bose QC35-II and the Sony WH-1000XM3. The latter seems to win most reviews, but I also heard about squeaking plastics parts and non-replaceable earpads?

All in all, the Bose seems more robust and comfortable, while most people seem to favor the Sony in terms of ANC and sound quality.

Any thoughts? Any other product I should be aware of?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

mkasu posted:

Any thoughts? Any other product I should be aware of?

After comparing them vs. the Bose in a Best Buy, I ended up with the PXC550s as I thought they sounded significantly better and were more comfortable and I’m super happy with them. I’d say go to a local store and see if you can A/B them. They’re all pretty close together in sound quality and noise canceling power, so I think you just need to find the ones that work best for you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a pair of DT770 80 ohm headphones on the way. Hopefully my amp can drive them. If not I'll probably grab a different portable amp.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Assuming you're looking for something with the same basic form factor, TinAudio T2 is really good, and has an mmcx replaceable cable (no mic/remote on the one that ships with them, if that matters). There are plenty of reviews around the internet describing how they sound, to see if it lines up with what you prefer. They're mostly neutral/a bit bright, they do have nice accurate bass, but it's not in your face. Retail is about $50, I got mine for $30 from aliexpress.

Final Audio E2000 is another headphone with that general shape that is well regarded, I just haven't ever picked them up because the cable is fixed.

Completely unrelated to those recs, I've started checking out some cheap chi-fi earbuds, and have found a real winner with the RY4S for $9 (you can get them for $5, but I went for one with an upgraded cable/plug). They outperform most of my IEMs that cost quite a bit more. Excellent sound stage, accurate vocals, good extension on both the low end and high end, the mid-bass in particular is super smooth and well rendered without bleeding into the mids.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arcsech posted:

After comparing them vs. the Bose in a Best Buy, I ended up with the PXC550s as I thought they sounded significantly better and were more comfortable and I’m super happy with them. I’d say go to a local store and see if you can A/B them. They’re all pretty close together in sound quality and noise canceling power, so I think you just need to find the ones that work best for you.

I agree with this. I did an A/B/C test and only ended up with the Bose because they felt significantly more comfortable. They definitely were the weakest sound wise but for 6-10 hour flights they are by far the most comfortable thing for me.

Everyone has a different head so you should really take the time to go into Best Buy and try them all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

trem_two posted:

Assuming you're looking for something with the same basic form factor, TinAudio T2 is really good, and has an mmcx replaceable cable (no mic/remote on the one that ships with them, if that matters). There are plenty of reviews around the internet describing how they sound, to see if it lines up with what you prefer. They're mostly neutral/a bit bright, they do have nice accurate bass, but it's not in your face. Retail is about $50, I got mine for $30 from aliexpress.

The cable on the T2 is poo poo. I've had two fail within a week at the MMCX connector as they have no strain reliefs.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

having owned both, HD800S is like listening to speakers in a well treated room, or the closest to that experience. HD800S if nothing else are detail retrieval and soundstage kings. LCD-X does have soundstage for sure, but nothing matches the HD800S in how "big" or "wide" the room sounds.

Welp, that makes my next purchase an easy one.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm in the same boat, but looking for bluetooth. Lost these and before I go and just get them again I'm wondering if there's a recommendation for something better within a similar price range. I like the style linked above because earbuds frankly just have never ever consistently stuck in my weird ears, especially when running or biking.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 14, 2019

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I agree with this. I did an A/B/C test and only ended up with the Bose because they felt significantly more comfortable. They definitely were the weakest sound wise but for 6-10 hour flights they are by far the most comfortable thing for me.

Everyone has a different head so you should really take the time to go into Best Buy and try them all.

Thanks. I went into a store today. They didn't have the Sennheiser ones, but I could try out the Bose and Sony ones. It really helped me to try them out.

The Sony felt pretty awesome all-around. It felt really comfortable, build quality seemed reasonable, and I enjoyed the sound. The Bose didn't seem that much different, though. The ANC on the Sony was better than the Bose, definitely noticeable in A/B testing, but I don't think it would make much difference in daily use.

As far as comfortability goes, both seemed pretty much identical to me. The store was crazy hot (40 degrees outside, 75 inside thanks to extensive heating,) so I was pretty sweaty from the beginning, but neither seemed better or worse for longer usage. Well, I only tried each for 5-10 minutes.

Unfortunately, the "cabin pressure" feeling of the Bose ANC was almost hurting my ears. The Sony had it a little bit, but much more to a degree where I forgot about it after 15 seconds, despite its ANC being better/stronger. On the Bose, it gave me a headache after some minutes of use. That might almost be the deciding factor for me (or at least one which unfortunately rules the Bose out.)

What I didn't like about the Sony were the gimmicky touch controls. It felt weird and unresponsive. I'd much rather have buttons. But well, over all, I think the Sony might win.

mkasu fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 14, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mkasu posted:

What I didn't like about the Sony were the gimmicky touch controls. It felt weird and unresponsive. I'd much rather have buttons. But well, over all, I think the Sony might win.

I have the Sonys and I've actually come to appreciate these, because it means that you can use the controls without exerting any actual pressure on the headphones themselves and moving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my DT770's and there's a pretty bad rattle from the right driver. That sucks, but they are refurbs so it's probably something stupid like a hair. Gonna have to send them back. Guess I'll probably go new with another pair?

There's obviously going to be differences in build quality between headphones that retail for $600 and ones that retail for $200, but I'm a bit surprised in how cheap these feel when compared to the DT1990's. Quite a bit more loose and flexy.

The Earstudio ES100 pushes these a bit better, still not super great though. I do think I'm going to hang onto it just for the convenience factor and maybe buy something better down the road. It's definitely just the headphones though. It pushes some older Sony earbuds I have really well. I was just hoping it would be able to handle the DT770's a little better than it does.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 15, 2019