Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if volkerball enthusiastically endorses a town i'm going to assume it's a hellmouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
drat, local anarchist trashed the trotskyist mural

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if volkerball enthusiastically endorses a town i'm going to assume it's a hellmouth

vs

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

You're a fool, ft rich owns, and coming from drum the winters would've felt balmy.

if i was gonna get an oconus assignment and have a hard time seeing my wife (wife lives in colorado because of residency and cant move) i wanted it to be a place with a culture, which alaska doesn't have. also i dont give a hot gay gently caress about outdoors bullshit i like vast endless seas of concrete cities so asia is way preferable to alaska. i used block leave to go to japan and it was amazing, and i wanted to get stationed in korea to use as a place i can cheaply travel to as much of the places i want to see in asia as possible before i finally get out

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

anchorage is jacksonville florida but with snowmobiles instead of jet skis

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Muppets On PCP posted:

anchorage is jacksonville florida but with snowmobiles instead of jet skis

they're called snow machines in alaska

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i know, that's why i said snowmobiles

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

They warned me Satan would be attractive.

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i love my insane father

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich
in a gesture of trust he's finally allowing me to meet his clairvoyant

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Alaska would be awesome if you could swap out all the people. Lot of folks running away from their family or the law or their child support payments or just life in general. Lots of rapists and drunks and alt right folks and douchebags. Florida for people who don't like heat.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pangstrom posted:

Alaska would be awesome if you could swap out all the people. Lot of folks running away from their family or the law or their child support payments or just life in general. Lots of rapists and drunks and alt right folks and douchebags. Florida for people who don't like heat.

As a dirty foreigner, how does that work? Some jurisdiction fuckery?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can't you just use another name and work a cash job in 'murica?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stickfigure posted:

uh, you just don't tell anyone where you move and often work under the table jobs, which makes it very difficult for people to find where you went off to

especially if you gently caress off to one of the small interior towns instead of hanging around the one metro area and the one kinda metro state capital area, it'll be difficult for people to track you down. what with all the travel needed

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it doesn't work in any ultimate sense. It's just a large, sparsely populated place with a lot of loners, and there isn't a ton of law enforcement.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah you can do poo poo like this in alaska, or just wash dishes in some lovely bar and live in a broken down bus. whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3fUIoXQ5A

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

the pav

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can’t make it impossible for people to find you but you can often make it more trouble than it’s worth.

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Radar posted:

You can’t make it impossible for people to find you but you can often make it more trouble than it’s worth.
actually this is permaban insurance

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stickfigure posted:

it used to be pretty easy to dodge warrants by moving to another state, which accounts for half of florida's population growth

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

"Over 50% of adult women in the Municipality of Anchorage have experienced intimate partner violence, sexual violence or both, in their lifetime; "

http://www.staralaska.com/statistics.html

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

luxury handset posted:

yeah you can do poo poo like this in alaska, or just wash dishes in some lovely bar and live in a broken down bus. whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3fUIoXQ5A

This dude whips rear end

ruby saltbush
Jan 8, 2019

by R. Guyovich

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mike Pence gonna eat some neodymium magnets after seeing this.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/anirvan/status/991955572441268225

https://twitter.com/anirvan/status/991957464814780416

https://twitter.com/anirvan/status/991965118949875714

my wonderful congressman looked at this shithead shao fellow and thought "hm, yes, him, i think he deserves to be on city council for my city"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Please give his ears a scratch for me and tell him he's a good dog, thank you.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.salon.com/2019/01/08/a-link-between-brain-damage-and-religious-fundamentalism-has-now-been-established-by-scientists_partner/

There it is.

quote:

A link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism has now been established by scientists. Religious fundamentalism is partly the result of a functional impairment in the prefrontal cortex, new study finds

BOBBY AZARIAN
JANUARY 8, 2019 6:05PM (UTC)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Glad to see Barack Obama too has now embraced the "I just want to see how it all burns down" mindset.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

Glad to see Barack Obama too has now embraced the "I just want to see how it all burns down" mindset.

pretty sure he's just been reading stephen pinker's journal of race science and techno-utopianism

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

finally got round to watching black panther last night

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

finally got round to watching black panther last night

What did you think?

The [Citation Needed] podcast had a really good episode on poo poo like this, ie: the neoliberal optimism industry.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

why thank you for asking

it was easily one of the best marvel movies. along with guardians of the galaxy and thor: ragnarok it's one of the few marvel movies where the usual marvel problems (boring expanded universe, horrible pacing, threadbare plot, nothing makes sense, CGI and nothing else) can't fully drag the movie down. in no small part because wish fulfillment for black americans (what if european colonialism wasn't quite as thorough and what if there was someone out there that actually gave a poo poo about me and that person was willing to save me from systemic oppression) is a lot more interesting than wish fulfillment for white americans (what if i was super strong and was allowed to beat up poor people?).

the politics of the movie are obviously bad. killmonger was right, the ending of wakanda doing development aid was p laughable. ah yes, a lot of shiny tech, we are finally saved.

biggest gripe was the screenplay itself tho. the first half of the movie was just a huge waste of time. most notably the james bond homage and the car chase. and as much as i love watching andy serkis chew every bit of scenery, klaue didn't add much to the film. and then the second half of the film felt rushed. they should've given more time to killmonger's story, given t'challa more depth, maybe do something more with the danai gurira-daniel kaluuya plotline that felt interesting. oh and cut martin freeman. i love the dweeb, but just cut him. and let lupita nyong'o act, christ sake. give her something.

but i guess less set pieces, more plot is my complaint about every marvel movie

overall very entertaining.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

why thank you for asking

it was easily one of the best marvel movies. along with guardians of the galaxy and thor: ragnarok it's one of the few marvel movies where the usual marvel problems (boring expanded universe, horrible pacing, threadbare plot, nothing makes sense, CGI and nothing else) can't fully drag the movie down. in no small part because wish fulfillment for black americans (what if european colonialism wasn't quite as thorough and what if there was someone out there that actually gave a poo poo about me and that person was willing to save me from systemic oppression) is a lot more interesting than wish fulfillment for white americans (what if i was super strong and was allowed to beat up poor people?).

the politics of the movie are obviously bad. killmonger was right, the ending of wakanda doing development aid was p laughable. ah yes, a lot of shiny tech, we are finally saved.

biggest gripe was the screenplay itself tho. the first half of the movie was just a huge waste of time. most notably the james bond homage and the car chase. and as much as i love watching andy serkis chew every bit of scenery, klaue didn't add much to the film. and then the second half of the film felt rushed. they should've given more time to killmonger's story, given t'challa more depth, maybe do something more with the danai gurira-daniel kaluuya plotline that felt interesting. oh and cut martin freeman. i love the dweeb, but just cut him. and let lupita nyong'o act, christ sake. give her something.

Yeah, we mostly agree. Martin Freeman served an important role in the movie though which was to get mocked by the black characters

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

like a byzantine icon

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

why thank you for asking

:agreed: for the most part, although I can't cosign on Killmonger being right. Dude was only in it for himself; anyone who thinks he actually wanted to liberate anyone is a chump. Also killing his gf was pretty not great.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

R. Mute posted:

why thank you for asking

t'challa is a fascinating synthesis of mohammad bin salman and muammar gaddafi imo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the thing people responded to with killmonger was that he was the only one to come close to a realistic political standpoint in the movie. he's the one that recognises that politics are about power and that sending your spacetrain-tech to america isn't going to stop black people from being oppressed. he's the one that realises the western world isn't just going to sit back and let a tiny african nation take center stage.

the problem is that when hollywood screenwriters portray black people, their politics are limited to two options: mlk and malcolm x, where mlk is obviously the Right Answer. problem is that they see malcolm x through the lens of fox news parody. and because they don't understand malcolm x and because they feel the need to emphasise that he's definitely the bad choice (pls dont like him even tho he makes sense), they tack on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make all that much sense (i want to help the oppressed people of the world and i trained to do it by killing the oppressed people for the us army) or is just over the top evil (shooting his girlfriend, choking the flower lady, etc).

it feels wrong and people look past it because the only way for that to work is if he's a massive hypocrite - which the rest of the film doesn't really support and which kinda undercuts the whole struggle of ideals thing which is at the core of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that's a very salient point