Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Atonement owned and Joe Wright managed to make a better Dunkirk movie with a fraction of the budget. Pan still sucks.

:agreed: Joe Wright owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Medullah posted:

Wow, that's worse than the use of We Will Rock You in A Knight's Tale.

I always thought that one was charming. It's just a dumb 4th wall breaking joke at the end of the opening credits.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The out of time music in A Knight's Tale owns.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

The first part of S1E1?

roger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

I love anti-period music. The Romeo + Juliet soundtrack bangs to this day

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Y’all are forgetting the best use of Nirvana in a jukebox musical: Moulin Rouge!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm now convinced through heroin use that Kurt was able to see the future, and rightfully wanted nothing to do with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Player piano covers on Westworld: yes or no

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

The Paint It Black one ruled pretty hard, none of the others stand out in my memory at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I prefer sitar Seven Nation Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6idwdkEke8w

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

gently caress yes!

But especially for (one of the few) the good moment at the end of season 2 where the song transitions from the cover-version to the real version, as the scene changes from the virtual world to the real one. A wonderful moment in an underwhelming season.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

My favorite one from Westworld was Rinko Kikuchi's character dancing to C.R.E.A.M. done with Japanese instruments. The cover of Heart-Shaped Box was good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DEAK3AinM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDS8SeO6hyg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

ngl I lowkey love that movie

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
When I was like 16 I went on a blind date with a girl I met online and we saw A Knight's Tale and then I never talked to her again, thanks for reading.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

ngl I lowkey love that movie

I highkey love that movie. It's a blast and Paul Bettany is mai waifu.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also, since I'm sure nobody but me watched it, here's my trip report for Lindsay Lohan's Beach Club:

It's good. If you like reality TV along the lines of Jersey Shore/Real World, the casting special and first episode are a load of fun. The show so far focuses less on LiLo and more on Panos (her fab af Greek business partner whom I love) and the hosts and hostesses brought in from the States to work at the club for the summer. They put them all under one roof ala Real World/Jersey Shore, and so far the mix of personalities seems like it will be really good for this brand of reality tv.

Lindsay's weird, fake, Madonna-esque accent is everything and her interactions with the cast range from incredibly awkward to hilarious so far. It's just giving me early-ish season Jersey Shore vibes but Lindsay is there instead of Danny and the Shore Store. I'm really interested to see what kind of trainwreck this show develops into.

There's a couple directions it could go, and I'm hoping it stays more on the Jersey Shore-ish path than turning out to be more heavily scripted like a Vanderpump Rules or w/e. I didn't notice too much obvious producer fuckery in the first episode, it flowed pretty well and rather than pretend there isn't a fuckton of people behind those cameras at all times, the producers interact w/ the cast and Lindsay and Panos every now and then which imo always helps a reality tv show feel less forced. The most forced moments were when Lindsay was clearly producing herself or moments for herself lmbo

e: precision you should prob watch this show lmao

esperterra fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 10, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

first episode of the new season of You're The Worst just ended, my thoughts (in spoilers because they're necessary)

that was really great! I wasn't sure where exactly they were going with the stories, just that they were obviously fake and cheesy. Once they got really fake, they were even better (and holy poo poo Princess Di coming out and saying "I wasn't actually dead!" was the climax of the episode IMO. after they gently caress in the video store i thought it might be another sexy book of Jimmy's but going around telling fake love stories to wedding stores to get free booze and to gently caress with people is very much in the Jimmy/Gretchen wheelhouse.

my two complaints: i do wish we got a little more of actual Jimmy/Gretchen (let alone anyone else) because it's been over a year since the last episode and one of these little side stories was kind of underwhelming but it also might not have worked as well if it came half way through the season. Also, the last conversation between Gretchen and Jimmy almost felt as fake as the story they were telling and the piano music under it made me wonder if they were gonna pull the rug out again and show that they were telling this story to another bridal boutique. It wasn't, and the tone was really weird and having it come immediately after the story was just a little jarring.

If I were a truly paranoid person I might suggest that the piano music and weird conversation echoing the conversations in the story itself are hints that this is actually a full story that Jimmy is telling that's going to last the whole season like some final season of Roseanne poo poo but that would be a whole lot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

esperterra posted:

I highkey love that movie. It's a blast and Paul Bettany is mai waifu.

It's a great, ~dumb~ movie. A B-Movie, for the olds in the audience... :corsair:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The player piano songs from Westworld were the only thing I found interesting about the few episodes of that show that I watched

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The player piano songs from Westworld were the only thing I found interesting about the few episodes of that show that I watched

Booo.... captain high standards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Also, since I'm sure nobody but me watched it, here's my trip report for Lindsay Lohan's Beach Club:

e: precision you should prob watch this show lmao

lmao I saw an ad for it and wondered if you'd watched it. I def will check it out

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching survivor 30: world's apart and lmfao this is great because literally everyone is a crazy rear end in a top hat

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

lmao I saw an ad for it and wondered if you'd watched it. I def will check it out

i saw like 45 seconds of it and could tell someone is making a tv show with the greek mafia. So dumb.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
All of the anachronisms are what gives A Knight's Tale its charm. It is a legit good movie, thats a great date film.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Anyone else stuck watching Masked Singer? It is bad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Failson posted:

Anyone else stuck watching Masked Singer? It is bad.
But after the premiere the internet was saying how it was going to change singing shows forever???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Sopranos turns 20 years old today!! Seems like a good reminder that it’s still the best show ever and none of these imitators even come close.

Considering making a new thread for it but man......I’m just so, so lazy

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

The Sopranos turns 20 years old today!! Seems like a good reminder that it’s still the best show ever and none of these imitators even come close.

Considering making a new thread for it but man......I’m just so, so lazy

My friend and I are watching it for the first time. Just, like, really slowly. (It's taken us two years to get through two seasons!)

I really like it, and I think he does too, we're just both got so many other things happening haha.

But something we both agree on, is that -- whatever else the show did that everyone copied -- it's actually really funny, and basically nobody copied that part. (How many jokes an episode in Ray Donovan? Hell, how many jokes per season?) Some episodes it's more of a comedy than anything else, and no one ever talks about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pine Barrens is one of the most popular episodes and fan favorite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has any comedy ever been considered "prestige" television?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

depends how dark you like your comedies, mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe a fargo type could qualify

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

Succession

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Saturday Night Live.

If we go back to the 90s I think you could make the argument for Fraiser if you were so inclined (I'm not), or maybe Seinfeld after it became like a cultural ubiquity?

Would Cheers count? It's a blind spot for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Girls tried to be prestige tv

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mad men definitely NOT a comedy, buuut

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Studio 60 tried so hard to be prestige comedy...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

precision posted:

I'm watching survivor 30: world's apart and lmfao this is great because literally everyone is a crazy rear end in a top hat
That’s why it sucks actually :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Louie, Atlanta, You're the Worst, Bojack Horseman

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Cheers, Frasier, Seinfeld, golden age Simpsons.

swickles posted:

Studio 60 tried so hard to be prestige comedy...

You knew Studio 60, and to a greater extant The Newsroom, was an important part of the convesation because it outright told you it was an important part of the conversation.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

Cheers, Frasier, Seinfeld, golden age Simpsons.

These shows all predate the prestige era, there's a connotation there beyond just universally acclaimed.