Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Hello fuckers.

I ordered a new mini. Now I have 2 BMW’s.

Tell me about Bimmercode on the iPhone have any of you used it??

My experience with iphones + Carly + the Wifi adapter a few years ago was that it worked ~70% of the time to change meaningless settings. What are you trying to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think the F30 3 series with the I6 turbo motors are supposed to be pretty robust. The 4 cyl turbos are grenading big time though. I don't remember the exact failures but it is not ideal.

Keep in mind that there are two different generations of 4cyl turbo F30: the N20 (328i, pre-LCI) and the B48 (330i, LCI). The N20 has an issue with timing chain failure, but BMW extended the warranty to 70k on that part. It’ll generally start showing warning signs before it fails, but it’s an expensive repair if you’re out of warranty because the chain is on the rear of the motor. I don’t think the B48 has any similar issues, but I own an N20, so I don’t keep up on the B48. FWIW, we’ve had multiple F30s in my family, both 4s and 6s, and all have been stone reliable.

If you’re looking to buy one, the one thing I’d pay attention to that may not already be on your radar is which version of iDrive you get. My early F30 has CIC, and whenever I drive one with NBT (the newer version), I wish I’d bought newer. The UI is a bit better, but more importantly the phone integration has fewer distracting and annoying glitches.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tremek posted:

My experience with iphones + Carly + the Wifi adapter a few years ago was that it worked ~70% of the time to change meaningless settings. What are you trying to change

Tbh I just want to hack CarPlay onto it. After more reading I think all I need potentially is a FSC code. Can any goons generate that?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My man, have you considered the E90 M3? Because you are describing the need for an E90 M3. I would say that the E90 335 models are pretty ragged out at this point. Cleaner ones won't really make sense to buy because the price will be high comparitively. I think the F30 3 series with the I6 turbo motors are supposed to be pretty robust. The 4 cyl turbos are grenading big time though. I don't remember the exact failures but it is not ideal.

I am 100 serious about finding an E90 M3 though. Go drive one and it is all you will think about.

That is a cool looking Ti (minus the damage). Is that thing swapped?

I've definitely thought about the E90 M3, but at this point they're getting to be 6 years old at the newest (right?), and I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a 6-10 year old highly strung V8 as a daily driver. I can be convinced though.

BraveUlysses posted:

imo only e9x worth getting is an M3

f30s can be found in estoril blue so i think you know the answer on that :madmax:

Alarbus posted:

I have an F30 335xi, with the m performance tune, and it has adaptive suspension. It's pretty nice, my only real complaint is the adaptive steering, but I think I've managed to come to terms with it (by forgetting any comparison).

Only have one kid, and the Peg Perego rear facing fits fine behind my seat, and I'm 5'11". Trunk space goes fast, but we make it work for week long trips to my parents.

I do love Estoril Blue. Do F30 335xis come in stick? What should I be looking for F30-wise?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Tbh I just want to hack CarPlay onto it. After more reading I think all I need potentially is a FSC code. Can any goons generate that?

https://bimmervideos.cloud/fsc-tools-generator-bmw-navigation-updates/

I was pointed to this FSC generator when I was looking to update my nav maps. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but it might be what you need.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

What should I be looking for F30-wise?

You can get both 4 and 6 cylinder F30s in stick. I’ve driven 328s, 330s, 335s, and 340s, and I honestly prefer the 328i. I felt like the 330i was a harsher motor, and the 4-cylinder cars are plenty quick, so I haven’t missed the extra power of the 6. The pre-LCI cars are getting stupid cheap lately, and with the G20 coming out, F30s in general are going to keep depreciating. Might as well buy pre-LCI where someone else already ate that depreciation.

They’re also just fine for infant seats. I had two of them in mine and it was a bit tight, but once they graduated to rear-facing convertible seats, it was fine.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, my 335xi is a stick. Coupes and sedans are available in a standard, the GT versions are not. I bought mine at Thompson BMW, the PO traded it in... For an M3. (I met him, his side job is an instructor for Porsche car club of America).

When I bought it, the sales guys were calling their clients, it's a black on black 335xi with stick, and M Sport. I arrived before it left detail, and left with it. BMW's cpo site lists a fair number of stick Ms, but not as many 335/340, good ones tend to move quick, at least in this area. I liked Thompson more than Devon, but mine was originally bought at West German.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
This thread makes me feel poor.

How many of you guys have gotten your turbo bimmers past 100k miles?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
stockholm syndome and bmw ownership go hand in hand

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

My mom had taken my old e92 335 with the N54, running a JB4+ since 20k miles. It had 178k on it when she traded it. Engine had no issues nor did the turbos or wastegate. It needed new injectors and coils at one point.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Keep in mind that there are two different generations of 4cyl turbo F30: the N20 (328i, pre-LCI) and the B48 (330i, LCI). The N20 has an issue with timing chain failure, but BMW extended the warranty to 70k on that part. It’ll generally start showing warning signs before it fails, but it’s an expensive repair if you’re out of warranty because the chain is on the rear of the motor. I don’t think the B48 has any similar issues, but I own an N20, so I don’t keep up on the B48. FWIW, we’ve had multiple F30s in my family, both 4s and 6s, and all have been stone reliable.

If you’re looking to buy one, the one thing I’d pay attention to that may not already be on your radar is which version of iDrive you get. My early F30 has CIC, and whenever I drive one with NBT (the newer version), I wish I’d bought newer. The UI is a bit better, but more importantly the phone integration has fewer distracting and annoying glitches.

Mine has the B48 engine (2017 320i) and from what I’ve seen the general consensus is the B38/B48/B58 engines are absolutely rock solid. Which makes a nice change as it seems most BMW engines seem to have some kind of expensive Achilles heel.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

I've definitely thought about the E90 M3, but at this point they're getting to be 6 years old at the newest (right?), and I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a 6-10 year old highly strung V8 as a daily driver. I can be convinced though.
2011 was the last year in the E90 body style, I think. E92/E93 continued through MY 2013.

Tremek posted:

You're at +5? Good god man. Good luck. Get a minivan.
I already had one (2016 odyssey), but had to replace it because you can't get into the back seat with a car seat in the middle seat. So bought a Pacifica with the care-seat safe tilt or whatever it's called. Pretty sweet feature.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Is it bad I am already thinking about the Dinan S2 package? I think if I have a good tax check and bonus next year I am going to pull the trigger.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Hello fuckers.

I ordered a new mini. Now I have 2 BMW’s.

Tell me about Bimmercode on the iPhone have any of you used it??

UH how are you going to get the 32 kids you have safely into this Mini?? Have you considered what a bad decision you have made (also I never heard how your LA trip was)

Residency Evil posted:

I do love Estoril Blue. Do F30 335xis come in stick? What should I be looking for F30-wise?

My E92 M3 only has 32k miles on it and costs almost nothing aside from gas + tires to run, (so far), so I can't speak for older/more used examples, but every day I drive it, even to dumb stuff like a doctor's appointment or over to the dealership to pick up a new hood strut for my other car, the sound it makes + the ability to take every curve at 2x the speed of the car in front of you + the rocketship acceleration in 2nd gear... all puts a huge grin on my face.

I had a McLaren 650s get on the freeway ramp a hundred yards behind me today, then both of us wringing it out down the Burbank onramp to the the fun little S-curve 405-101 interchange, and actuallly being able to keep ahead of him is one of the little perks, the Mclaren guy gave me a thumbs up when I got off at my exit and he downshifted and flew past. Little things like that make ownership a lot more unique that I don't get in my other 'fun' cars, runs with legit, non-'baby' supercars like that are among few times you need to actually look in your wing mirrors to make sure no one's trying to pass you. Leaving Bro Trucks for dead that are trying to swim aggressively upstream through freeway traffic like they own the world and their 400hp makes their truck a "performance car" is a particular joy, seeing them get caught in a pack of 55.002 mph Camrys is a rear view memory that will keep your spirits up for the rest of your commute.

Mine's a 2008, and the only thing that's broken in it after 4 years of semi-daily driving and doubling the original miles it had on it when I bought it in 2015 is the passenger side air vent's little side-to-side handle fell off so it only goes up and down currently. Resale value: Diminished

It's extremely well behaved when you want it to be, and an barely-restrained untamed thoroughbred when you push that "M" button on the steering wheel. Best of both worlds, imho, and a high-revving NA V8 is always something that makes sense. Saddest reality of the E90: No carbon roof.

Also, new tires are imminent, so I'm scoping out places for epic burnouts before they get switched.

From L-R: 265k miles, 32k miles, 69k miles

The grille is off on the Volvo because loving idiots in SUV's keep backing into it on the street :argh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

BMWs make me poor

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Residency Evil posted:

I do love Estoril Blue. Do F30 335xis come in stick?

They do, but they're hard to find and you're going to pay a hefty premium for one. I'm currently in the market for one and my budget is creeping so far skyward that I actually might as well buy an E92 M3.

edit- Pre-LCI F30 328s are dirt cheap and all over the place. If Pre-LCI F30 335s are eating any kind of serious depreciation I'm not seeing anywhere.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 9, 2019

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Pre-LCI F30 328s are dirt cheap and all over the place. If Pre-LCI F30 335s are eating any kind of serious depreciation I'm not seeing anywhere.

I’m not actively looking, so your info is probably better than mine, but when I casually searched around a few weeks back it looked like there were 335s to be had under $20k. These are probably silver automatics, of course.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I’m not actively looking, so your info is probably better than mine, but when I casually searched around a few weeks back it looked like there were 335s to be had under $20k. These are probably silver automatics, of course.

They're around, but it's tough. I've been idly looking for about three months, and seriously looking for the last few weeks, and very rarely a 6MT will pop up for under $20k. I was actually about to buy one for $18k last weekend, but the pre-purchase inspection turned up something potentially major and the dealership refused to diagnose the problem or so much as knock a penny off the price of the car so I ended up walking. The car vanished off their inventory almost immediately after I got my deposit back, so I'm guessing it'll pop back up several thousand dollars more expensive after it hits their service department.

It's crazy how cheap 328s are, though. You can easily find an F30 328 for $12-13k, and really great, low mileage ones for $14-15k.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

It's crazy how cheap 328s are, though. You can easily find an F30 328 for $12-13k, and really great, low mileage ones for $14-15k.

My 70k-mile, well-optioned mineral gray 2013 328i has a KBB just under $12k. I'm kind of idly considering selling it and buying a lower-mileage 2015 so I can get newer iDrive, a different color (ANY loving color that isn't black, white, gray, or silver), and maybe the Harmon Kardon sound system. It might be more hassle than it's worth, but I'm getting to know F30s pretty well and the net cost would only be a couple thousand bucks.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

quote is not edit, ugh

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Mine's a 2008, and the only thing that's broken in it after 4 years of semi-daily driving and doubling the original miles it had on it when I bought it in 2015 is the passenger side air vent's little side-to-side handle fell off so it only goes up and down currently. Resale value: Diminished

My man have I the solution for you!

https://www.venttabs.com/vent-tab-bmw-e90-e91-e92-e93-2006-2013-3-series/

I recall buying one of these for my 09, and it worked great.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's fantastic, thanks!

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Lightbulb Out posted:

Nice looking compact, that sucks! Plans to fix it?

not sure yet; I don’t really want a clapped-out car... would rather find another chassis and swap all my sweet guts into it. not sure what to tell him he owes me for this, as not-clapped-out compacts are getting really hard to find (it took me nearly six months to find that chassis... 14 years ago)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is a cool looking Ti (minus the damage). Is that thing swapped?

yeah. M3 from the windshield forward, MZ3 from the B pillars back. bunch of other nice stuff. I finished the motor swap in 2006 so I’ve been playing with it for quite a while.

search for an MZ3 Coupe shell? weird E30 project? make the guy just buy it from me and wash my hands of the whole thing? help me AI, you’re my only hope

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

I've taken my m2 into the shop a few times now for rattling. First it was the child lock seat cover rattling in the back. Second was inside the passenger door, the cables were rattling against the door panel. Lastly there was something under the passenger seat that needed dampening foam added. The last one was tricky because it was so loud whenever I went over bumpy roads, but I couldn't pinpoint where it was, and when the tech road along with me we couldn't make it make the noise. I finally had him drive it without me and they were able to figure it out.

Luckily that was all of the fixes I needed. He showed me a bulletin in their system where I guess some customers have the passenger a pillar making a cracking noise where they literally have to snip some of the metal off because it overlaps. I really really didn't want to go down that route.

Glad you got it sorted out, my dude. Are you still satisfied with the car? I'm 330 miles in to my M2c now and it still puts a huge smile on my face every time I start it up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

UH how are you going to get the 32 kids you have safely into this Mini?? Have you considered what a bad decision you have made (also I never heard how your LA trip was)

Lol why 32 kids?!

Man, LA was absolutely freakin amazing. Although the traffic is dumb as hell and frustrating.
I was up in Beverly Hills and it took like 3 hours to get to the beach. I didn’t bother driving in the end and just used the hotel S class and Uber. Way to stressful and slow for me to bother hiring a cool car!!!
The Petersen was absolutely brilliant. Loved it. Other highlight being the freakin Griffith observatory. Lovely place. And the Getty centre museum was ace. Surprised me how lazy people are there we were in some bar at like 3am and the staff were like woah you can’t walk back to your hotel it’ll take 15 minutes!!
Pinks hot dogs are nice. The milk bar sucks rear end. The prettt woman four seasons does nice cocktails. In n out fries suck but the burger is real nice.
I’d definitrly go back as I still have a lot to explore I think!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

64bit_Dophins posted:

I’m at 180k km on my 08 135i. It’s a summer car now and I drive the Touareg in the winter but it’s still kicking. No issues with it right now

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

My BMW has now officially cost me as much as I paid for it originally, and it's a 2006 M-car.

Granted, prior to my ripping it apart and stuffing a race engine in it and other good fun things, the only thing that went wrong with it was a $120 starter motor...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

snugglz posted:

search for an MZ3 Coupe shell? weird E30 project? make the guy just buy it from me and wash my hands of the whole thing? help me AI, you’re my only hope

Z3 would be cool of some kind, so would an e30 project but I think the suspension isn’t backwards compatible other than the bushings.

I’ll buy your door cards ;)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

HandlingByJebus posted:

My BMW has now officially cost me as much as I paid for it originally, and it's a 2006 M-car.

Granted, prior to my ripping it apart and stuffing a race engine in it and other good fun things, the only thing that went wrong with it was a $120 starter motor...

Mine has cost 5x-6x what I paid now haha

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

snugglz posted:

not sure yet; I don’t really want a clapped-out car... would rather find another chassis and swap all my sweet guts into it. not sure what to tell him he owes me for this, as not-clapped-out compacts are getting really hard to find (it took me nearly six months to find that chassis... 14 years ago)

yeah. M3 from the windshield forward, MZ3 from the B pillars back. bunch of other nice stuff. I finished the motor swap in 2006 so I’ve been playing with it for quite a while.

a) Make him pay for it regardless. He had permission to drive it, but that permission comes with responsibility. If he was half a man, he'd already be cutting you a check or sourcing a shell.

b) Sell the car as-is to meatpimp.

c) No profit, but :smith:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Glad you got it sorted out, my dude. Are you still satisfied with the car? I'm 330 miles in to my M2c now and it still puts a huge smile on my face every time I start it up.

Oh heck yeah I am! Buttttt as I posted earlier. I am thinking about the Dinan S2 package if my bonus and tax check are good.

Also, when I was at the dealer, I saw a m4 cs... holy poo poo, that thing is loving beautiful.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Surprised me how lazy people are there we were in some bar at like 3am and the staff were like woah you can’t walk back to your hotel it’ll take 15 minutes!!
In America, walking is for college kids and dogs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anything to look out for on recent BMW wagons with respect to packages that I want/options?

For example:
http://www.manheimimports.com/inventory/used-2018-bmw-330i-xdrive-sports-wagon-awd-station-wagon-wba8k3c52ja368971
versus
http://www.manheimimports.com/inventory/used-2016-bmw-328i-xdrive-wagon-nav-awd-station-wagon-wba8g5c59gk442418

versus http://www.manheimimports.com/inventory/used-2018-bmw-m2-6-speed-rwd-2dr-car-wbs1j5c55jva12604

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Can I just say that Bridgestone Potenzas are a bit crap? My 320i has an enormous 184hp and I can spin the rears with traction control on and over 5mm of tyre depth left with only a moderate application of the throttle.

The roads are a bit damp but neither slippery or icy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There are a lot of different models of 'potenzas'

everything from poo poo to the 200tw re71r that is stickier than a 100tw nitto nt01 or maxxis rc1

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The roads are a bit damp mildly moist but neither slippery or icy.

Fixed for British

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

BlackMK4 posted:

There are a lot of different models of 'potenzas'

Everything from poo poo to the re71r that is stickier than a 100tw nitto nt01 or maxxis rc1

I believe they’re S001s. I’d blame it on them being runflats but my 1 Series had Pirelli P Zeros and later Goodyear Asymmetric 3s and both were much better.

Everyone raves about Michelin Pilot Sport 4s so I’m just going to go for those when the time comes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The biggest drawback of the wagons is they're only available with the small engine. If what you really wanted is the M2 maybe test drive a wagon, any wagon to ensure it's got enough grunt. The B48 ain't a superstar in that regard.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Well then do a burnout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SlapActionJackson posted:

The biggest drawback of the wagons is they're only available with the small engine. If what you really wanted is the M2 maybe test drive a wagon, any wagon to ensure it's got enough grunt. The B48 ain't a superstar in that regard.

That’s what the B58 is for.