Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Nah they just need to make Battlesuits piloted powered by orphaned child psykers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheBigAristotle posted:

What's the hard counter to Tau fortresses?

Bringing back templates.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

TheBigAristotle posted:

gf

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Those stratagems that target a point on the battlefield then just poo poo out mortal wounds to every unit in a 12” area work pretty well if your means of producing them don’t get shot off the table. I fought a Tau castle once where I did a Zoanthropes psychic bombardment, a mawloc popped up, and a Maleceptor did its psychic pulse all in the same turn and just basically annihilated half their clumped up bullshit army.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cooking Your Boots: A Field Guide

quote:

* This is a less improbable solution than you may think – thanks to the miraculous efficiency of Imperial recycling programs, your standard-issue combat boots share 97% of their material composition with the average field ration.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TheBigAristotle posted:

A cat. Former roommates cat one time jumped on the table and stole a fire warrior and took out two crisis suits.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

The words corpse starch links to Cadian Fleshtone.
:allears:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

The words corpse starch links to Cadian Fleshtone.
:allears:

I thought that was incredible. Those guys clearly love their job.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TheBigAristotle posted:

Indirect fire

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Booley posted:

Packing up and going home

Pretty much. I know they're a list I'd rather not play against.

gently caress, the drones are annoyingly game-slowing in Kill Team, much less a full game of 40k.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Real world cost aside, how does 3 chimeras stack up against a crassus for transporting 30+ guard?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Playing the new CA missions helps a lot since they force you to be mobile. Make sure you have a lot of line of sight blocking terrain on the table. Like, a lot. Don't even think of charging them because it will only bring suffering even if it turns out well.

The better answer is to just not play against them. This is supposed to be a fun way to spend time and I'm not willing to play another 5 hour game against an army like that.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

MinistryofLard posted:

Good point.

Thanks for the wizzywig help. It ended up being a moot point because I've modelled a Rubric with a soulreaper and it turns out you can't take them in 5 man units but I'll definitely remember it for the next Rubric box I buy lol.

I'm taking rubrics so it's not like I'm super competitive anyway.

I ran into this same problem with mine and upon realizing it had 2 more regular Rubric painted up and 2 more aspiring sorcerers so I can now run 4 squads of 5 rubrics.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Playing the new CA missions helps a lot since they force you to be mobile. Make sure you have a lot of line of sight blocking terrain on the table. Like, a lot. Don't even think of charging them because it will only bring suffering even if it turns out well.

The better answer is to just not play against them. This is supposed to be a fun way to spend time and I'm not willing to play another 5 hour game against an army like that.

I don't know FTGG in detail but if a Reiver squad used their stun grenade to prevent Overwatch, does that deny nearby allies from being able to contribute their overwatch?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

I don't know FTGG in detail but if a Reiver squad used their stun grenade to prevent Overwatch, does that deny nearby allies from being able to contribute their overwatch?

It does not, no. I've also managed to actually make use of a Reiver's grenade a single time in all of 8th edition and I used to run them frequently.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

TheBigAristotle posted:

If anyone actually ran reivers, this may have been faqed :smug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The wording on FTTG means probably not. Strictly speaking, if you're paying a three way game a unit with FTTG can fire sympathetic overwatch even if the unit being charged is from another player you're not allied with.

Bunch of Terminators charge into an Ork Mob? As long as the T'au unit is within 6" of the mob they can fire overwatch at the Terminators.

It's really dumb.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For The Treater Good

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Nope! The way it works is:
If an effect on the tau unit makes them unable to fire overwatch (eg Reiver grenades) their allies can still jump in with FTGG.
If an effect on the charging unit makes the target unable to fire overwatch (eg Banshee masks) their allies cannot jump in, because the wording is ‘fires overwatch as if they were targeted by the charge’.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I'll never be convinced that this isn't an oversight due to 8e reducing complexity by reprinting the same rule with 24 different wordings in codices.

Can't have "objective secured" when you can have 20 different ways to say it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

I'll never be convinced that this isn't an oversight due to 8e reducing complexity by reprinting the same rule with 24 different wordings in codices.

Can't have "objective secured" when you can have 20 different ways to say it

Regarding why they did this, am I correct that it would only ever give you an advantage over a non-Battle forged army?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FTGG wouldn't be as bad if only one unit could fire other than the charge target. Though my personal opinion is remove overwatch and let Tau keep normal overwatch as their faction thing.

Inspector_666 posted:

Regarding why they did this, am I correct that it would only ever give you an advantage over a non-Battle forged army?

It basically just gives troops priority on objectives over non-troops.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Floppychop posted:

It basically just gives troops priority on objectives over non-troops.

Ah, OK. I wasn't reading "Troops" literally enough.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

FTGG wouldn't be as bad if only one unit could fire other than the charge target. Though my personal opinion is remove overwatch and let Tau keep normal overwatch as their faction thing.

That would need to be coupled with a huge reduction in invulnerable saves. A genestealer blob can weather a lot before overwatch with those 5++ saves, in my meager experience

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I have a quick conversion question: I just got the Imperial Fists Supremacy Force, and I'm considering converting my Primaris Captain with power fist/plasma pistol. Obviously there looks to a be a plasma pistol arm from the Hellblasters, obviously there's the slight problem that it's a left arm, like the power fist on the upgrade sprue. I was googling for ideas, and apparently some people recommend using a Tartaros Terminator power fist arm as an option? Does anyone have ideas if that would be viable?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Yvonmukluk posted:

I have a quick conversion question: I just got the Imperial Fists Supremacy Force, and I'm considering converting my Primaris Captain with power fist/plasma pistol. Obviously there looks to a be a plasma pistol arm from the Hellblasters, obviously there's the slight problem that it's a left arm, like the power fist on the upgrade sprue. I was googling for ideas, and apparently some people recommend using a Tartaros Terminator power fist arm as an option? Does anyone have ideas if that would be viable?

By far the easiest way is to get plasma pistol bits and glue it on his hand. If you're gonna replace the hellblaster arm with something else, just saw/clip/whatever the top of the plasma pistol off and put it on the captain.

With a little greenstuff, you can make it look like it was always meant to be there. Even without greenstuff, it's not noticeable unless someone actually picks up your plastic man to look at him closely

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RagnarokAngel posted:

This might blow your mind but 40k isnt meant to be a simulation.

That's a cop-out. Please never post this again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eifert Posting posted:

Honestly I think overwatch should be more effective than regular shooting but require you to give up your shooting phase. Something like that makes it a tactical decision.

Yeah make it actual overwatch, like in shadow war or necromunda.

You give up your shooting so you can get off a better shot mid opponent turn.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

That would need to be coupled with a huge reduction in invulnerable saves. A genestealer blob can weather a lot before overwatch with those 5++ saves, in my meager experience

This is actually something that annoys me a bunch, there are a lot of units which are effectively squishy in the face of weaponry intended to take on stratagem boosted knights or other invuln heavy armies. Stuff like predators, landraiders and similar have no hope without invulns or other damage reduction characteristics.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zaphod42 posted:

There's valid reasons to dislike how overwatch works. He brought in-universe lore which is dumb.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

This is actually something that annoys me a bunch, there are a lot of units which are effectively squishy in the face of weaponry intended to take on stratagem boosted knights or other invuln heavy armies. Stuff like predators, landraiders and similar have no hope without invulns or other damage reduction characteristics.

Yeah tbh it seems like most light vehicles up through most heavy vehicles without invulnerable saves are all kind of meh. Anything that’s effective against super tough stratagem knights is also awesome against those other vehicles.

It makes sense obviously at a certain logical level but I wish there was something mechanically that would make light vehicles their own niche for gameplay diversity.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Something like Ramshackle that the Ork Trukks have could be an interesting solution to it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Or Jink, for Ravenwing.

Replace all instances of Flyers Hard to Hit (Or similar) with a 6+ Invuln that improves to 5+ if they move max distance and 4+ if they Advance.

Give all Vehicles a 6+ Invuln if they move more than half their movement speed, improve to 5+ if they Advance. Light vehicles can reroll Invuln saves of 1 when Advancing.

Or something similar. Doesn't affect Knights or Daemon Engines because they get the invuln already without moving, but gives a reason to not parking lot and also make vehicles more survivable.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Maneck posted:

Only if you start the charge within 8". Not your point, but that part of flamer interactions with the overwatch rule has always been an odd one.

Grunt: "They're charging us!"
Officer: "Right, but right now they're out of range. Put that flamer away. There's no way you could possibly use it in the near future, or just lay down a wall of fire now or anything useful like that."
Grunt: :shrug:

RagnarokAngel posted:

This might blow your mind but 40k isnt meant to be a simulation.

Zaphod42 posted:

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's valid reasons to dislike how overwatch works. He brought in-universe lore which is dumb.

I can't reconcile your two posts. Rather than boggle it out, I'm going to go with this. A flamer is not 40k lore. It is a flame thrower, decorated with skulls.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In universe logic. Im bad with words my mistake.
My point was that i can accept criticisms if they affect game balance or just generally being fun to play (and overwatch applies to both of those) but "they dont work that way in real life" doesn't really work.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

I am totally half way through painting my conversion for this exact model as well, please excuse the painting as its literally just the base colors going on currently!

I just used the upgrade sprue first on the raised hand and chopped off the plasma pistol and wacked it on the other hand and its sorted easy peasy. I also used the targeter on the backpack as the relic for the siege breaker warlord from the Vigilis book.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Maybe a newbie question but what weapons should I put on the hull and sponsons on my Leman Russ's.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Firstscion posted:

Maybe a newbie question but what weapons should I put on the hull and sponsons on my Leman Russ’

Heavy bolter on the hull. Magnetize the sponsons and equip to suit.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Firstscion posted:

Maybe a newbie question but what weapons should I put on the hull and sponsons on my Leman Russ's.

They sit really nicely in their sockets without glue, so you don't actually have to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah tbh it seems like most light vehicles up through most heavy vehicles without invulnerable saves are all kind of meh. Anything that’s effective against super tough stratagem knights is also awesome against those other vehicles.

It makes sense obviously at a certain logical level but I wish there was something mechanically that would make light vehicles their own niche for gameplay diversity.

The problem I have is I dont really see a way to do this without invalidating units/strategems or making everything below them tougher. Perhaps this is going to remain an issue without severer reworking of both core mechanics and weapons.

Honestly restructuring weapons in general is part of how I would do it, this would entail adjusting weapon special rules to weaken them against unintended targets: high damage weapons could lose accuracy/damage due to overpenetration, tracking, etc. Smaller weapons loose shots/AP/strength due to having to focus fire to penetrate armor, etc.

In theory making weapons lean more towards how games like fire emblem handle weapons as being good against/neutral against/bad against could let designers lean back from needing units going to extremes to provide durability, the big issue is then you have rules proliferation. I am not quite sure what could be done following KISS :shrug: