Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was trying to remember the last time a high end QB got hurt and his sub came in to massive success like this and then I remembered Bledsoe/Brady. I realize Brady was younger than Foles is and Bledsoe was older than Wentz. Got me to wondering too what Brady's career trajectory might have been if Bledsoe had never gotten hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I was trying to remember the last time a high end QB got hurt and his sub came in to massive success like this and then I remembered Bledsoe/Brady. I realize Brady was younger than Foles is and Bledsoe was older than Wentz. Got me to wondering too what Brady's career trajectory might have been if Bledsoe had never gotten hurt.

9/11 doesn't happen, trump is never elected president, etc.

it's the fork in the universe timelines from the good one to the hell one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ehh I wouldn't call this a snub. He broke the catch record but Kelce got the tight end receiving yards title (and generally caught much longer passes than Ertz) and Kittle shattered the YAC record. To me he would be third, with Cook and Ebron behind him

Toaster Beef posted:

it would be extremely surprising

the only legitimate "that's not surprising" take to an eagles win over the saints would be "well of course nick foles led this team to a seemingly impossible victory, that's just kind of the thing he does now"

To be specific: the Rams and Saints are 7 and 8 point favorites respectively. The Pats and Chiefs are both favored by only 4.5

It's far from impossible. Especially for how the playoffs have been so far, that is slow-paced and low-scoring. Low scores would favor the NFCE participants.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Kelce held the TE receiving yards record for only 30 minutes until Kittle broke that too.

Kittle is pretty clearly the best TE in the league

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How are the three comparatively in their blocking? I know Ertz supposedly has developed a lot

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Kittle is a great blocker, Kelce is a good space blocker but not inline, he can get ragdolled a bit by DEs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Kittle's not a huge guy so he has similar limitations to those other guys... but he's fierce and he really attacks his blocks. Really those are three great tight ends, and I'm sure Ertz would've had a much better year if the offense in general wasn't struggling for so much of it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

axeil posted:

For Foles? absolutely.

For Wentz? I laugh.

Minimum for Wentz should be a guaranteed top 10 pick plus at least 2 more 1st round picks.

Like I don't even think a team's entire draft for a year is a fair enough price. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees and Wentz is 6 years younger than Foles.

Lmao. His health is a concern and you are totally glossing over it. He is at a point where he can be a major financial liability for a team if he can’t say in the field. Acl and major back issues? QBs with these types of back problems haven’t had a great shelf life in recent history.

Weirder things have happened but the market might not be anywhere as strong for him as you believe.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Sickening posted:

Lmao. His health is a concern and you are totally glossing over it. He is at a point where he can be a major financial liability for a team if he can’t say in the field. Acl and major back issues? QBs with these types of back problems haven’t had a great shelf life in recent history.

Weirder things have happened but the market might not be anywhere as strong for him as you believe.

I don't know if we can really class his health being a concern yet. The acl injury was a freak accident and we don't know if the back injury was one too. Its a bit concerning yes but I'm not Sam Bradfording him yet.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
he also had a better season statistically after coming off an acl tear than he did before it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How are the three comparatively in their blocking? I know Ertz supposedly has developed a lot

hot take: Dallas Goedert is going to be better than Ertz.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.

Play posted:

To be specific: the Rams and Saints are 7 and 8 point favorites respectively. The Pats and Chiefs are both favored by only 4.5

It's far from impossible. Especially for how the playoffs have been so far, that is slow-paced and low-scoring. Low scores would favor the NFCE participants.

The way the game is being covered in the DC market would make you think it's an slight that Eagles aren't the favorite.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Amy Pole Her posted:

if Foles wins *another* Super Bowl you can’t write it off to fluke.

yeah you can, ask Eli

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sickening posted:

I'd consider trading Wentz for two firsts (one being top five) and a probable perennial all-pro early in their rookie deal like Brad* Chubb or Darius Leonard

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

indigi posted:

I'd consider trading Wentz for two firsts (one being top five) and a probable perennial all-pro early in their rookie deal like Brad* Chubb or Darius Leonard

Feels like a hell of a gamble. Let’s adjourn until the next time he is medically cleared, whenever that will be.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

Payton is quizzing Philly beatwriters about Flyers history

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1083101519287857152

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

but what are his feelings about Gritty

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

hot take: Dallas Goedert is going to be better than Ertz.

Similar stats and better blocking. I would settle for Brent Celek 2.0.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 10, 2019

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cowboys.

Gonna win.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

axeil posted:

9/11 doesn't happen, trump is never elected president, etc.

it's the fork in the universe timelines from the good one to the hell one.

drat.

Well...it all led to an Eagles Super Bowl victory so, yeah, the devil had to have been involved somehow. I'll take it though

Play posted:

Fair enough and I know poo poo tightens up in the playoffs but none of the pinball machine scoring teams have played yet either. KC, Rams, NE and NO are the top 4 scoring teams.

On the other hand, every single wildcard team DID score below their season average so maybe you're on to something. I chalk that up to playing against better teams but maybe you're right and I do tend to look to defensive teams excelling in the postseason.

come to think of it I'm probably dumb and full of poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 10, 2019

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

This will come down to defense being able to keep the eagles and cowboys in it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Genuine take: the Cowboys and Eagles have a better chance of beating their opponents than if they switched.

The Saints would have shithoused the Cowboys at home because they would be playing with a vengeance. The Eagles now go into New Orleans hoping to do the same thing; I think the Eagles are better than their last game against the Saints, and they're going to prove it.

Likewise, I think the Rams are a damned good team that would have been out for blood against Philly. With the Cowboys, they just need to eat the clock and run Zeke down LA's throat to keep their defense fresh and the Rams offense off the field.

Is any of this going to happen? There's a decent chance both NFCE teams get completely obliterated this week, regardless of my hopes and dreams. But each team has a chance, and if you had told me that about these two teams 3 months ago I would have laughed until my heart stopped.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Philly probably loses this weekend unless angels are going to help our corners, but I hope Foles looks good either way..

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Shinjobi is a good poster and I stand by my claim that Dallas wins by a comfy margin.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

But each team has a chance, and if you had told me that about these two teams 3 months ago I would have laughed until my heart stopped.

:same:

Clownball will be our saviour

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just looked at the Rams schedule, and they have a week 2 win over the Chargers before the Chargers even knew what they were doing, and they obviously have the shootout win over KC. Aside from that they have 2 wins over Seattle, which are a bit suspect considering how lousy the Cardinals and Niners were. Seattle probably isn't a playoff team in a different division. So two strong wins, two okay wins, with everything else being over a middling to bad team.

LA lost to Chicago and Philly, so we know they are susceptible to good defenses. Dallas has the tools offensively to compete if the same Rams defense shows up as what's been on the field for the entire season.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
LA is absolutely not great against the run. The difference for this matchup over the Cowboys/Seahawks matchup, though, is that Gurley is as good a RB as Zeke. Rams don't do running game by committee like Seattle does. Gurley could be a serious test against the Cowboys D. They had struggles against Saquon Barkley, I could see something similar this weekend.

So it's a Goddamn tossup, imo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I was listening to some guy from Rotoworld and he loved the Cowboys match-ups against the Rams and had that as his lock. He liked Cowboys against the Rams much more than the Seahawks.

WRT to the Rams, noted football genius Sean McVay hasn't really figured out how to replace Cooper Kupp and it shows. He's been using a lot more 12 personnel and that hasn't worked at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWBwV7PyYqA

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Hardcore punk band singing about football and not hockey smh

E: Remember slapshot and donnybrook? There was a few others I can’t remember right now

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 10, 2019

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Hardcore punk band singing about football and not hockey smh

E: Remember slapshot and donnybrook? There was a few others I can’t remember right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZtBe_o5xf0

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Cowboys are garbage idiots and a Cowboy win would be the final thing to usher in an eternal darkness lasting a thousand years*

I don't hold out much hope that the Eagles will beat the Saints but if it could end up a one-score game I could live with that. An NFCENFCCG would be great but I don't want Dallas to even get that opportunity.

*Jason Garret is in charge of this and fucks it up pretty bad.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Literally the only way I can see Philly competing with NO is if the game is the same as the superbowl- all scores no punting.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Jim Schwartz deserves a medal for winning a playoff game with this secondary full of secondaries. I don’t see them being able to run with NO’s wide receivers.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

Literally the only way I can see Philly competing with NO is if the game is the same as the superbowl- all scores no punting.

Picks and forced 3 and outs can happen. The Saints are a strong team but our D has been playing much better as of late. I think this game ends a lot closer than you think.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Jim Schwartz deserves a medal for winning a playoff game with this secondary full of secondaries. I don’t see them being able to run with NO’s wide receivers.

The Saints receivers have been straight trash (except for Thomas) since the Eagles game. In the 5 games after that:
Tre'Quan Smith - 56 yards and one TD
Keith Kirkwood - 125 yards and 2 TDs
Tommylee Lewis - 60 yards and one TD
Dan Arnold - 65 yards and one TD
Ben Watson - 107 yards and 0 TDs
Alvin Kamara - 199 yards and 0 (receiving) TDs

Even Michael Thomas didn't do all that well. He had 363 yards and one TD.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ELO Musk posted:

Picks and forced 3 and outs can happen. The Saints are a strong team but our D has been playing much better as of late. I think this game ends a lot closer than you think.

I'd like to agree with you but it feels like the Eagles have depended on getting good pressure against bad and/or young QBs to avoid having their secondary completely exposed. Drew Brees is neither bad nor young and I doubt the Eagles can get enough pressure to shake him.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1083135239554326529

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NotWearingPants posted:

I'd like to agree with you but it feels like the Eagles have depended on getting good pressure against bad and/or young QBs to avoid having their secondary completely exposed. Drew Brees is neither bad nor young and I doubt the Eagles can get enough pressure to shake him.

Yeah it's hard to get Brees rattled but forcing him to get the ball out quick can hopefully negate plays developing and letting him sling it down the field. I really think this is a game that's going to be won and lost on the lines for the Eagles on both sides of the ball. And Foles really needs to have a funslingin' day.

I fully expect the Cowboys-Rams game to be another brutal grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
i don't think i could handle nfcenfccg