Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Fruity20 posted:

hard pass for me. anything before the 1990s gets a no for me. loomis is a exception but i'm still weary really. it also helps that i wanna draw more black and asian people but i struggle to make it more convincing. not too much to look like racist caricatures mind you. we know we don't want that. but thanks for the suggestion. i could check it out for morbid curiosity.

This guy is coming out with a book that I think is going to be a decent resource for drawing realistic African Americans.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shabazz/how-to-draw-black-people

and an interview with the author
https://www.quirktastic.co/post/how-to-draw-black-people-the-long-overdue-tutorial-every-artist-needs-to-read/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Illustrator CC question:

This shape is the shoulder panel of a shirt, with the yellow part being the top of the sleeve -- where the shoulder joins with the top of the body panel:

The client wants to replace the yellow color with this:

...or something very similar. Basically, I need to bend the stripes so that they're the same shape as the yellow section, running along its long axis. Note the color panel is not a smooth curve, though it is the same thickness along its entire length. Am I hosed?

Oh, also: everything involved is already a vector image, including the yellow part of the existing shoulder panel.

Recreate the second part as a pattern brush. Then you can draw a curve that fits that yellow section using the pattern.

Alternatively, since you have the vector curve, extend the ends, then use increasing widths of inner-strokes to replicate the look, then use the original shape to mask off.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Genius! Thank you!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Alternative alternative – use the new Puppet Warp tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/puppet-warp.html

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

couldn't you also halve that stripe and place it into the yellow shape using envelope distort? that way all the mathematical dimensions are retained without having to manually drag it into place

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

couldn't you also halve that stripe and place it into the yellow shape using envelope distort? that way all the mathematical dimensions are retained without having to manually drag it into place

huh, something new every day. It may depend on how well the curves are set up though.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

There's a bunch of solid answers here but I'm gonna do a quick tutorial since yall are missing the simplest and best way to do this.

First, if the path is on the outside of the shape, apply an Offset Path to get it to the center of the yellow stroke. Just take the width of that stroke and divide it by two (you can do math in the dialog box!).

I just did a quick measurement of the Martini stripes in Photoshop and found they came out to about an equal 12 units (see image). So, we'll divide that width from earlier by 12 and move on

Back in Illustrator click on your new path and open up the Appearance panel. Make sure that path stays highlighted and create the center red stripe by doing some Quick MathsTM. Take your new single unit width and multiply it by 4. Make sure to include whatever unit you're using in Illustrator, or it will automatically assume you're using points.

The Appearance panel allows you to stack multiple strokes on one path, all originating from the center, so add a few more strokes below that are wider than the ones above it and a pattern will start to appear. If you're math is right, it'll look perfect and will be much easier to modify in the future than some other options posted here

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

This guy is coming out with a book that I think is going to be a decent resource for drawing realistic African Americans.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shabazz/how-to-draw-black-people

and an interview with the author
https://www.quirktastic.co/post/how-to-draw-black-people-the-long-overdue-tutorial-every-artist-needs-to-read/

thank you so much for this!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fruity20 posted:

what do y'all tend to do when studying anatomy? I mostly look at other people and observe certain things about them, especially for figure drawing.

My go-to book for generic anatomy lookups is Anatomy for the Artist. It covers every major body part and has skeletal overlays so you can visualize the bone structure more easily. Stan Prokopenko's full Anatomy series is extremely good and in-depth, but it's got a price tag (around $300 CDN) that's not for the faint of heart.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Most of the vital information is on his free Youtube channel though. The 225 USD/300 CAD gets you 3d models of the various bones and muscles, about 6-8 examples (sometimes narrated, sometimes captioned, sometimes no commentary) of drawing each muscle group from different perspectives/poses, reference PDFs (nothing you couldn't reconstruct from the free videos), and probably most importantly, access to the critique videos. The actual videos are roughly the same as what you see on Youtube and rarely contain more than a minute of extra information, although sometimes he'll do a special video, like the 13 minute one he recently uploaded focusing on the knee bones.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone know if I can mix alcohol inks with acrylic mediums?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Argue posted:

Most of the vital information is on his free Youtube channel though. The 225 USD/300 CAD gets you 3d models of the various bones and muscles, about 6-8 examples (sometimes narrated, sometimes captioned, sometimes no commentary) of drawing each muscle group from different perspectives/poses, reference PDFs (nothing you couldn't reconstruct from the free videos), and probably most importantly, access to the critique videos. The actual videos are roughly the same as what you see on Youtube and rarely contain more than a minute of extra information, although sometimes he'll do a special video, like the 13 minute one he recently uploaded focusing on the knee bones.

I will say that the 3D models and example/critique videos are extraordinarily helpful if you're learning this entirely on your own. It's pretty cheap compared to a full-on anatomical drawing course that you'd take at a university, but it's still something I'd only recommend diving into if you're serious about pursuing an artistic career.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Anyone know if I can mix alcohol inks with acrylic mediums?

Sure.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Where is a good place to post work to get feedback/build audience?

It looks like deviantart, and tumblr have both seen better days.

HanzoSchmanzo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 17, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Where is s good place to post work to get feedvavk/build audience?

It looks like deviantart, and tumblr have both seen better days.
Might be that participating in weekly/occasional art hashtags on Twitter is an easier way to get exposure. A lot of Tumblr people are trying to move to pillowfort if you fancy being an early adopter.

tbh, i think aggressive watermarking with shortlink/handle is the way to go for anyone, regardless of the platform.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Twitter or Instagram are the way to go to get eyes on your stuff, but if you want actual feedback you'll want to go someplace specialized. We've got threads here that'll do it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fayez Butts posted:

There's a bunch of solid answers here but I'm gonna do a quick tutorial since yall are missing the simplest and best way to do this.
*posts good stuff*

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Question about licensing stock -- I'm not too experienced with this so I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way... I've been tasked with updating the marketing materials at my work and found a graphic I'd like to incorporate into our branding. I know using licensed stock photos as a logo is a firm "no" across the board, but, is it OK to use a licensed vector graphic as a common element across all branding/marketing pieces? It would not be attached to the logo in any way, it would just be incorporated into print designs and marketing as a graphical element. It'd be through Adobe's extended license, FWIW.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Newbie getting into poster/album cover design over here with a seriously basic/dumb question. I'm starting to get decent at 2D composition and now I'd love to know what the best software choice for incorporating 3D elements would be. This Katelyn Aurelia Smith album cover and this random poster are a perfect example of what I'd like to start learning how to make:

I'm somewhat experienced with Photoshop and I know it does have 3D capabilities, but so far trying to create these sorts of images has me feeling like I'm cleaning a bathroom with a toothbrush. Ideally I'd like the software to calculate things like light/transparency/diffusion for various material presets (plastic, glass, metal) automatically, instead of painstakingly tweaking it all by hand. Feels like there has to be an easier way but just Googling the question is giving me way too many options and places to explore. Any goons got a pro recommendation? Much appreciated, I won't forget you when I one day become The World's Greatest Poster Designer :3:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'd go with Blender for anything 3D, it might be a bit overkill for what you need but it's free and has a ton of tutorials on youtube.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dont necessarily have to learn 3d to achieve those kinds of effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5fJGPjJNMw
You can easily do it with layers to start and overlay additional layers on top.

Alien Skin Eye Candy does better texture wrapping/beveling and with the right textures you can get these effects too. https://www.alienskin.com/eyecandy/

That second image for example looks like it has the oil slick effect composited right on the liquid pool layer, rather than rendering / shooting an oilslick in 3d.

Speaking of, yes you can just start shooting photos and learning to isolate elements you want to use.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Does anyone know what kind of software I should use to make drone/ambient tracks?

I haven't touched audio editing software since 2007 and have no clue what's actually good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Christoph posted:

Does anyone know what kind of software I should use to make drone/ambient tracks?

I haven't touched audio editing software since 2007 and have no clue what's actually good.

Ableton live is good and easy to use.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Ableton live is good and easy to use.

Thank you! Filed away for when I have money.

I went to see if they had their earlier versions for free, but they're the exact same price as the new ones :wtc:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Christoph posted:

Reaper is free to mess with. You can pick up a keyboard with mappable keys for around $100 and there are a bunch of free vsts + your own ability to do field recordings and mess with them in Audigy (a free sound manipulator).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm a total newbie to Photoshop, and I was wondering if there was a way to automatically change the name of a new image to an incremental number?

So when I click file, new, the title of the blank image I just created is now 0005 and if I do it again it'll be 0006, for example.

I'm learning how to draw and am creating a dozen files as I sketch a night and am finding it tedious to manually do it (not to mention it interrupts the flow). I'm using cs6 version 13

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Christoph posted:

Reaper is my pick. Look into to Paulstretch as well, it makes wonderful washes out of basically everything.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Question for anyone who uses a cintiq: I might buy one during the summer but i was wondering, how do you connect a cintiq to monitor? most of the tutorials i've seen were for laptops but barely for monitors. That and i have a dell ultrasharp and i'm not sure if it supports a second monitor.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm a total newbie to Photoshop, and I was wondering if there was a way to automatically change the name of a new image to an incremental number?

So when I click file, new, the title of the blank image I just created is now 0005 and if I do it again it'll be 0006, for example.

I'm learning how to draw and am creating a dozen files as I sketch a night and am finding it tedious to manually do it (not to mention it interrupts the flow). I'm using cs6 version 13

I don't think there's any way to do exactly what you're talking about, but if you go Image-> duplicate, the new file created will be the original file name plus a number. So that's an option.

What I would do is just duplicate image when I wanted a new file, and then ctrl+a to select all, then press delete to clear everything on the duplicate.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

Question for anyone who uses a cintiq: I might buy one during the summer but i was wondering, how do you connect a cintiq to monitor? most of the tutorials i've seen were for laptops but barely for monitors. That and i have a dell ultrasharp and i'm not sure if it supports a second monitor.

Does your computer have an HDMI plug? Just plug the HDMI cable into the appropriate spot on the back of your computer and you're good to go. The cintiq is a monitor on its own, so you connect it to your computer, not to the monitor.

If your computer only has one monitor output on the back then your video card doesn't support multiple monitors, and you'll need to either upgrade the video card or just use the cintiq as your monitor.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

Depending on the model and what sort of ins/outs your monitor has you might be able to daisy chain it. You’ll likely just need to check what different ports both you box and computer have.

In other news I have my old Cintiq 21 UX that I’m looking to get rid of for cheap if you’re interested. PM me if so!

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

gmc9987 posted:

Does your computer have an HDMI plug? Just plug the HDMI cable into the appropriate spot on the back of your computer and you're good to go. The cintiq is a monitor on its own, so you connect it to your computer, not to the monitor.

If your computer only has one monitor output on the back then your video card doesn't support multiple monitors, and you'll need to either upgrade the video card or just use the cintiq as your monitor.

I need to check my computer if it has anything resembling a hdmi port. ( for context it's one of those Ibuypower desktops with a pretty decent video card)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

I don't think there's any way to do exactly what you're talking about, but if you go Image-> duplicate, the new file created will be the original file name plus a number. So that's an option.

What I would do is just duplicate image when I wanted a new file, and then ctrl+a to select all, then press delete to clear everything on the duplicate.

That's close enough to what I want, thanks a lot for that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fruity20 posted:

I need to check my computer if it has anything resembling a hdmi port. ( for context it's one of those Ibuypower desktops with a pretty decent video card)

If it's from the last 8 years you'll have the video out port. Remember dvi to HDMI cables exist.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

If it's from the last 8 years you'll have the video out port. Remember dvi to HDMI cables exist.

so i just realized my computer has only one hdmi port...but it has a dvi and vga though.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 11, 2019

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

so i just realized my computer has only one hdmi port...but it has a dvi and vga though.

Then you can plug one monitor into HDMI and the other into DVI or VGA. Adapters exist to convert between any combination of those plugs so buy the one you need and there you go. For what it's worth I would keep the Cintiq on the HDMI without any adapters, and buy the adapter you need for your existing monitor.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

gmc9987 posted:

Then you can plug one monitor into HDMI and the other into DVI or VGA. Adapters exist to convert between any combination of those plugs so buy the one you need and there you go. For what it's worth I would keep the Cintiq on the HDMI without any adapters, and buy the adapter you need for your existing monitor.

Thanks!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Does this typeface style have a name? I'm looking at the extra "serifs" in the center of the stem & crossbar.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Blackletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there videos that'll teach me how to compose a shot? or art tutorials online that were super helpful for you? Basically I'm trying to figure out what makes a drawing go from "a set of arranged drawings by layer" to "carefully crafted picture."

I'm using SAI and Photoshop (haven't decided to go with SAI, or photoshop with Lazy Nezumi,) and I'm really serious about turning what I'm making now into like, real art someday, because I'm finding out I love creating.