Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Laterite posted:

Season One blew my mind as a 12 year old raised on truly mawkish and banal '80s sitcoms. It was absolutely a transgressive take on the wholesome family trope. The pilot episode has father and son going to a dog track on Christmas Eve because they're broke, after having paid for the son's tattoo removal. In another the entire family zaps each other during electroshock therapy. The wife flirts with infidelity. A babysitter holds the kids hostage. There's some dark stuff there.

Anyway, for me, "The Change" was when celebrities started showing up as themselves instead of actual characters. Exception granted for The Ramones and Cypress Hill, of course.

You still had the occasional self celebrity that was fine such as Ringo Starr in the early seasons but that's realllllly subtle compared to later ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when celebrities like Harvey Fierstein and Dustin Hoffman wouldn't even let themselves be credited because appearing in the Simpsons was career suicide?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nutsngum posted:

You still had the occasional self celebrity that was fine such as Ringo Starr in the early seasons but that's realllllly subtle compared to later ones.

This one was always my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChORIKcAcg

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Can I just say that I find the trajectory of the Simpsons absolutely fascinating? And no, I'm not talking about how it got worse over time. Yes, it's unfortunate, and even tragic, but also, not surprising at all. This is a problem that nearly every long running T.V. show in existence faced. It happened to Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Suits, Weeds, Oz, Hercules/Xena, the list goes on and on. This phenomenon is not special or unique at all. However, looking at how the Simpsons started, and then seeing what it became, is a helluva lot more of an interesting story.

Go back to season one, and tell me you're not stunned at what kind of a show The Simpsons used to be. This may piss off a lot of people, but I thought it was an ugly, unfunny mess. The animation was absolutely wretched in pretty much every way you can imagine. Even as a 5 year old who would eat up pretty much anything that resembled a cartoon, I remember thinking it looked like poo poo. And then there was the writing. There were "jokes" in there sure, but it can't even really be considered a comedy show. It was more like an animated version of something like Seventh Heaven, being overly mawkish and sentimental. I legitimately don't know who this was supposed to be targeted to. It was too boring for kids, but also too childish (looking) for adults.

The second season was a noticeable improvement, but it was still very rough. I don't think the show found its voice until season 3. I find it staggering that we go from something Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire to Homer the Vigilante and Cape Feare. We go from some of the most wretched content ever put to paper, to some of the greatest, wittiest television to ever exist.

seasons 1 and 2 are really good you fuckin doofus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

The difference is when the celebrity cameos quit being cameos (q.v. George Harrison having like three lines in that episode) and turned into twenty minutes of Cartoon Lady Gaga Does Her Set Also The Simpsons Are There

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Sagebrush posted:

The difference is when the celebrity cameos quit being cameos (q.v. George Harrison having like three lines in that episode) and turned into twenty minutes of Cartoon Lady Gaga Does Her Set Also The Simpsons Are There

It was really bad - it went from “George Harrison/The Ramones/whoever is there for a quick specific joke and then leaves” to “OH MY GOD LADY GAGA!!! What are YOU doing in Springfield??” The turn really happened in that Basinger/Baldwin episode where the celebrities became the plot vs being a subtle guest appearance. That whole episode was just a star-gently caress that fed an ego, vs the classic years where it was a cameo to tell a joke or push the plot along.

And you have to look at season 1 through the eyes of 1989-1990 television. It seems tame and boring and horribly animated now, but it was the biggest thing ever when it debuted. The freaking president and First Lady talked about what a bad role model the family was, schools were in an uproar over now-innocuous catchphrases, and parents were banning kids from watching it. It was groundbreaking and subversive and innovative all at the same time - tv families didn’t act like that on NBC or CBS, and they certainly didn’t have major faults that carries over from episode to episode.

If you wanted to deal with alcoholism on Family Ties or Mr Belvedere, you had a one time guest star act as a family member and the problem was resolved in 22 minutes of less. If you wanted to deal with money issues, you had the cute kid get a job to get extra money for a birthday present. If you wanted to deal with a problem child, you had a kid say a sarcastic remark and then learn a lesson about respect after being grounded while sappy music played.

Homer had a drinking problem every episode and hung out at bars on a daily basis. The family was always one minor expense away from going broke. Bart and Lisa fought with each other and talked back to their parents every episode and Bart was constantly in trouble. Go back and watch that first season through the eyes of a tv viewer at that time - every single episode of season 1 would have been a once-a-season very special episode on any other sitcom at the time....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GPTribefan posted:

Homer had a drinking problem every episode and hung out at bars on a daily basis. The family was always one minor expense away from going broke. Bart and Lisa fought with each other and talked back to their parents every episode and Bart was constantly in trouble. Go back and watch that first season through the eyes of a tv viewer at that time - every single episode of season 1 would have been a once-a-season very special episode on any other sitcom at the time....

The average TV viewer doesn't like looking into the mirror, especially when it's a cartoon.

See Also: Cartoons were for children back then.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I find the trajectory of the show interesting, but more problematic is the lawn dart landing it took into unfunniness rather than its excellent, subversive and downright revolutionary start

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

What's funny about this gag in particular is the joke is Homer doesn't know/care who George Harrison is. Today the line would be, "Oh my God George Harrison! From the famous musical rock group, The Beatles!"

Lemon
May 22, 2003

watch Homer buying an RV again and then try to come back here and tell me Season 1 isn't gold

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
I always wondered why Hans moleman started showing up less when Phish guest starred.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

This YouTube playlist is really the best illustration of the show’s overall trajectory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9u5VZBKXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TysxdM25Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRPv-AAam_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QefAm9jUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWe4pCX8nEw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45dZ3lz3pnw

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 10, 2019

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Simpsons were definitely revolutionary in how they approached joke structure and comedy, but were they really *that* revolutionary in terms of basic? I was either a tiny baby or not even born yet when both shows aired, but doesn't Married...With Children predate the Simpsons? It's obviously not as funny and certainly not as clever as the Golden Years were, but surely MWC deserves some credit for being a deconstruction and parody of the 1950s/Sitcom/Wholesome Americana family?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One difference being that Al is a little misanthropic and emblematic of the kind of person who peaked early and just never got it together, but goes through the motions with family work and whatevee.

Homer is just a dumb oaf that got lucky and snagged a steady gig he doesn't belong in. But he's overall positive and doesn't hate his cursed existence.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh, they were both quite different in many ways. It’s just I often hear the Simpsons praised as revolutionary for how it subverted that idealized and wholesome view, when it seems to me MWC did it first.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This transition is from the 2nd season

Try finding something like that in the new animation style episodes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh, they were both quite different in many ways. It’s just I often hear the Simpsons praised as revolutionary for how it subverted that idealized and wholesome view, when it seems to me MWC did it first.

I think the key difference is that The Simpsons was animated and as we all know, animated shows are for children. This attitude combined with a primary, if not main character, being an 11 year old boy resulted in people thinking that children were especially at risk of being influenced negatively by the family and their antics.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
now homer is the main boy

dont assume his gender

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The key difference is that The Simpsons was funny, witty, and clever and MWC was trash for trashy idiots. The Simpsons showed that you could not only subvert the expectations of television but also be smart while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agh70crfUYQ

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
married with children was good you loving idiot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Simpsons was not the first show to portray a dysfunctional family, no. American TV pre-1989 was not all Leave It To Beaver

But it was a cartoon, and its first aired episode was a Christmas episode, which put everyone in mind of animated holiday specials, and what they got was a prime-time family-targeted cartoon about mall Santas and dog tracks and tattoo removal and alcoholism and suburban poverty. People found themselves empathizing with the delinquent kid and rooting for him to get his own way instead of for the parents to strangle him back into line. I've always tended to think that if it weren't for the SRoaOF episode being the premiere, the splash the Simpsons would have made right out of the gate would have been way different.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The key difference is that The Simpsons was funny, witty, and clever and MWC was trash for trashy idiots. The Simpsons showed that you could not only subvert the expectations of television but also be smart while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agh70crfUYQ

What a terrible loving post.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Flannelette posted:

Neat, what episode was that?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Neat, what episode was that?

"Simpson and Delilah" S2E2 the one where homer gets hair and becomes and exec

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Bart the Genius is very good and very funny.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flannelette posted:

this is really cool and im going to reiterate that seasons one and two of simpsons are Really Fuckin' Good and it's not like star trek tng where the first couple seasons sucked rear end or something

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

The Simpsons was not the first show to portray a dysfunctional family, no. American TV pre-1989 was not all Leave It To Beaver

But it was a cartoon, and its first aired episode was a Christmas episode, which put everyone in mind of animated holiday specials, and what they got was a prime-time family-targeted cartoon about mall Santas and dog tracks and tattoo removal and alcoholism and suburban poverty. People found themselves empathizing with the delinquent kid and rooting for him to get his own way instead of for the parents to strangle him back into line. I've always tended to think that if it weren't for the SRoaOF episode being the premiere, the splash the Simpsons would have made right out of the gate would have been way different.

Wasn't it a pretty big hit from the Ullman shorts though?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Last Chance posted:

this is really cool and im going to reiterate that seasons one and two of simpsons are Really Fuckin' Good and it's not like star trek tng where the first couple seasons sucked rear end or something

I can't speak for season 1, since I really need to order a copy, but Season 2 is better than most people remember, there are a bunch of iconic episodes that season that seem most people think are from later seasons.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Atlas Hugged posted:

Bart the Genius is very good and very funny.

RDRR

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They had to research a LOT of weird science/math and wordplay gags for that episode. Really wall-to-wall with cerebral stuff people were not at all ready for (even if some of it was kinda cringey)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Data Graham posted:

They had to research a LOT of weird science/math and wordplay gags for that episode. Really wall-to-wall with cerebral stuff people were not at all ready for (even if some of it was kinda cringey)

eh they were a bunch of Harvard nerds, I'm sure plenty of the writers knew basic calculus

by the time we get to futurama several of the writers are PhD math dorks packing math jokes into the background constantly, sometimes even centering entire plots on them

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Apparently they don't even bother putting the newest seasons on DVD any longer lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Apparently they don't even bother putting the newest seasons on DVD any longer lol

Fox as a whole doesn't put out TV on physical media anymore, it's not just limited to The Simpsons.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Iron Crowned posted:

Fox as a whole doesn't put out TV on physical media anymore, it's not just limited to The Simpsons.

Kind of ironic you have to be a pirate to own a TV show for life these days

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

brugroffil posted:

eh they were a bunch of Harvard nerds, I'm sure plenty of the writers knew basic calculus

by the time we get to futurama several of the writers are PhD math dorks packing math jokes into the background constantly, sometimes even centering entire plots on them

Yeah, but it's not just the dumb derivative thing, it's all those palindrome jokes, the "two trains rush toward each other" test question, all the literary and sociological stuff they did in the genius school. They went all across the board

And yeah I know the Futurama writers are their spiritual successors even in the post-revival era. I'm just impressed that that is the bar, is all I'm saying.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nonviolent J posted:

Would they even bother to do them

I heard once that Groening's contract says that the dvd releases have to have commentary.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

They'd announced that they wouldn't release them on DVD anymore.

Then because of "fan demand" they picked up where they'd left off and released Season 18 on DVD at the end of 2017, and they have the commentaries recorded for Season 19.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

PostNouveau posted:

Wasn't it a pretty big hit from the Ullman shorts though?

The shorts were a popular segment on a somewhat popular show - so much so that they began licensing the characters for commercials before the regular series was even started. It was more a factor of “FOX needs to get ANY kind of original programming on the schedule ASAP” than anything else, tho. They obviously picked a winning horse, but it was a huge gamble given the cost and the time involved.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GPTribefan posted:

The shorts were a popular segment on a somewhat popular show - so much so that they began licensing the characters for commercials before the regular series was even started. It was more a factor of “FOX needs to get ANY kind of original programming on the schedule ASAP” than anything else, tho. They obviously picked a winning horse, but it was a huge gamble given the cost and the time involved.

Does make you wonder what the world would be like if they didn't run with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Does make you wonder what the world would be like if they didn't run with it

Somehow, we'd be talking about what the lowest point was for the Critic's 25 seasons and counting.