Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ben seems to be a very cursed name, particularly in regards to alt-right chuddery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i hear he's big in london

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

must be standing on a stepstool

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

in other news i went back to playing Tomb Raider 2 in this gap between me finishing something else and all the megareleases coming out this month and woof, i wish it would gently caress off with these human enemies.

the opera house level in particular has just been this crummy approach of walk two tiles, spawn a guy with a bat and two dogs, then take another step after they're dead and somebody from outside of the draw distance spawned in and is shooting me with perfect accuracy from somewhere and now I have to flail around to find him before i die, and in so flailing i've triggered nonsensical indiana jones style boulder traps coming from opera doors.

that first level is still great, what is this poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-gets-an-f-rating-from-the-better-business-bureau/

Fortnite received an F rating from the Better Business Beau due to not issuing crazy refunds when a parents son racked up $1000 in cosmetic items.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Good, even if it won't amount to anything

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-gets-an-f-rating-from-the-better-business-bureau/

Fortnite received an F rating from the Better Business Beau due to not issuing crazy refunds when a parents son racked up $1000 in cosmetic items.

Companies that find ways around refunds like this suck. I wanted a refund for a game I preordered that hadn't even come out yet and Sony said no because it gave me a player icon or whatever.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I said come in! posted:

lol why did their son have access to their credit card but also the US is anticonsumer anyway so in conclusion :d2a:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Phantasium posted:

in other news i went back to playing Tomb Raider 2 in this gap between me finishing something else and all the megareleases coming out this month and woof, i wish it would gently caress off with these human enemies.

the opera house level in particular has just been this crummy approach of walk two tiles, spawn a guy with a bat and two dogs, then take another step after they're dead and somebody from outside of the draw distance spawned in and is shooting me with perfect accuracy from somewhere and now I have to flail around to find him before i die, and in so flailing i've triggered nonsensical indiana jones style boulder traps coming from opera doors.

that first level is still great, what is this poo poo.

Yeah, TR2 is... not great. 3 and especially 4 are a lot better

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, TR2 is... not great. 3 and especially 4 are a lot better

huh, i always figured the later ones would be worse about that but literally my only experience with any of them was an ancient demo of TR3 where you're like... escaping from a prison or something like that.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Wamdoodle posted:

lol why did their son have access to their credit card but also the US is anticonsumer anyway so in conclusion :d2a:

Voice Over Pete is to blame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJR1GJJIBg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

Kids are very good at finding loopholes. Apple got sued over this a few years ago- it used to be the case that if you entered your password into an iPhone for any reason, the phone would automatically pass any authentication challenge for the next several minutes to save you a little time. Kids noticed this and realized that if you can get a grown-up to enter their password into the phone, you now have a short grace period in which you can buy IAP for freemium games. This is how the phrase "smurfberries lawsuit" entered the tech media conversation.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 10, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man kids are conniving little shits aren't they

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd call it clever, if they weren't doing it for IAPs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is 15-16 hours too short for a campaign?

quote:

It's not fair to compare DMC 5 to RDR 2 because the latter is an open-world title that encourages exploration.

A more valid comparison is the recently released Marvel's Spider-Man.

aaa gaming has broke people's brains

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, isn't that like the longest DMC playtime?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Endorph posted:

aaa gaming has broke people's brains

I know what you meant to say but couldn't help reading this as starting with an aggrieved scream

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
a more valid question is "did you like the game"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I like my games 2 hours or 120 hours

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every video game is too long anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

lol, isn't that like the longest DMC playtime?
beating dmc4hd with every character would take longer, but otherwise yes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

20 hours is the perfect length unless it's a jrpg or open world game imo

e:
Itsuno was asked: "There are three protagonists, so how long will the game take to complete?" Itsuno responded: "the development team took about 15 to 16 hours to clear the game."

so maybe it's actually five hours and you play it three times, that's what that means to me. which would be more inline with dmc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

20 hours should be the max game length and if anyone takes longer the devs should be required to get back to work and cut more out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Those totals don't include Spider-Man's three DLC packs (The Heist, Silver Linings and Turf Wars). The latter two add 2.5 and 4.5 hours with side missions and maximum completion, while The Heist gives the game a 3 and 3.5-hour boost.

Will DMC 5 have DLC? That's still up in the air. Itsuno talked about potentially adding more characters if enough fans request them.

Spider-Man's approach to DLC should be the model for games within the genre that have an eye on true excellence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"too short" is something like vanquish, which was about 2 hours of gameplay in the campaign and maybe 90 minutes of actual fun

12-18 hours or so is ideal for something like bayo or DMC, anything longer gets exhausting

RDR2 and its several hours of ponderous clop-clopping across the frontier can geddafuckouttahere

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

forbes is not a true gamer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it takes half an hour to beat star fox 64 and its one of the best games ever made

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

it takes half an hour to beat star fox 64 and its one of the best games ever made

:hai:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Forbes is one of those online publications where anyone can be a "contributing editor" and is about as mentally stimulating as posting sick owns from twitter nobodies.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
a great game is 3 good scenes/levels/set pieces and no bad ones

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

perhaps the devil may cry would have more fun, if he had to traverse large pointless voids in between each figh- oh right they tried that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

"too short" is something like vanquish, which was about 2 hours of gameplay in the campaign and maybe 90 minutes of actual fun

12-18 hours or so is ideal for something like bayo or DMC, anything longer gets exhausting

RDR2 and its several hours of ponderous clop-clopping across the frontier can geddafuckouttahere

Vanquish is fun the whole time and takes like 8-10 hours first time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Vanquish is fun the whole time and takes like 8-10 hours first time

it was bad!

*smacks table*

it was a bad game!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

delete this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vanquish was fun, and the best Platinum game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This is the outcome of the hordes of people that clamor for more 'content' no matter how empty

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Italy is the only time Tomb Raider 2 goes heavy on human enemies, and also the ending but at that point it's a cathartic finale as Lara Croft blasts dozens of home invaders with no remorse. The middle portions of the game has the occassional human but there's a great level in a sunken ship that's just all puzzles and poo poo, then you go to a monastery with monks fighting mercenaries using kung fu, then most of the enemies are cosmic beings floating around the levels zapping you in hell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the best game with platinum's involvement was an rpg

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants In Manhattan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phantasium posted:

the best game with platinum's involvement was an rpg

I don't think of Nier as a Platinum game since they didn't do any of the things that made it a good game