Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

It's not as relentless, but yea what's there is just as grisly. The thing that seems to turn a lot of people off is about a third of the way into the movie, there's a scene where a bus full of random innocent people is just raked with machine gun fire and you see it all in pretty gruesome detail, including the shooter entering the bus and finishing off injured survivors.

Yeah that's the point that I turned the movie off. It just seemed nihilistic and mean without real purpose. I guess that's literally the point where the movie stops that nonsense and turns into a revenge odyssey but I just haven't gone back to it. My loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah that's the point that I turned the movie off. It just seemed nihilistic and mean without real purpose. I guess that's literally the point where the movie stops that nonsense and turns into a revenge odyssey but I just haven't gone back to it. My loss.

You aren't missing anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You aren't missing anything.

The only thing I'd say makes Headshot something I'd recommend to action fans is that it stars Iko Uwais. Night Comes For Us is more competently made in pretty much every respect, and there's plenty of Iko in there, but really can you ever have enough?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Schneider Heim posted:

I guess it's not wuxia, but would you recommend The Great Wall from Zhang Yimou?

There's one very nice sequence in the middle, but I don't think it's worth sitting through the whole thing just for that part. Especially considering every recommendation FancyMike made is superior.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The fight in the police station is exceptionally brutal and well done. Watch that on Youtube, at least.

Both Headshot and Night Comes for Us reminded me a little of those very nasty 90s anime films where, while the superhuman main characters clash, background characters and bystanders are just slaughtered. I can get why that might bother people, but I found it over the top enough to be entertaining rather than horrifying. It's a thin line and I totally get people who found it to be on the other side of it.

Basebf555 posted:

Looks pretty good and Mads was made for roles like this. Visually interesting too, kinda looks like a Zach Snyder movie.

Turns out I cannot tell Vanessa Hudgens and Kate Micucci apart, as I spent the whole trailer thinking that was the little one from Garfunkel and Oates.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's one very nice sequence in the middle, but I don't think it's worth sitting through the whole thing just for that part. Especially considering every recommendation FancyMike made is superior.

None of them are in PH Netflix :(

Though I found a couple uploaded to Youtube with English subtitles!

I'm just watching A Better Tomorrow for now because I've never seen anything Woo did before Face/Off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

None of them are in PH Netflix :(

Though I found a couple uploaded to Youtube with English subtitles!

I'm just watching A Better Tomorrow for now because I've never seen anything Woo did before Face/Off.

Hard Boiled and The Killer are the real essential watches there. He peaked with those films.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Snowman_McK posted:

Hard Boiled and The Killer are the real essential watches there. He peaked with those films.

I'll get to them soon enough!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Both Headshot and Night Comes for Us reminded me a little of those very nasty 90s anime films where, while the superhuman main characters clash, background characters and bystanders are just slaughtered. I can get why that might bother people, but I found it over the top enough to be entertaining rather than horrifying. It's a thin line and I totally get people who found it to be on the other side of it.

I'm not gonna lie, Timo doing an adaptation of Cyber City Oedo 808 or Baki the Grappler would be loving amazing

e: I feel like what you're talking about is kind of more specific to Koichi Ohata's stuff (MD Geist, Genocyber, Cybernetics Guardian) and, being real, his poo poo would own too if they adapted it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Hard Target and Broken Arrow are still great as well though

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not gonna lie, Timo doing an adaptation of Cyber City Oedo 808 or Baki the Grappler would be loving amazing

e: I feel like what you're talking about is kind of more specific to Koichi Ohata's stuff (MD Geist, Genocyber, Cybernetics Guardian) and, being real, his poo poo would own too if they adapted it

I was also thinking of things like Ninja Resurrection, or Fist of the North Star, where the main characters are indestructible and everyone else just gets slaughtered.

I'm actually watching the new Netflix Baki adaptation at the moment. It sure is...something.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Hard Target and Broken Arrow are still great as well though

And Face/Off, Windtalkers, Red Cliff.

I'm just not down with saying he peaked at Hard Boiled. There's hardly a drop in quality to his best later films and even the ones I like less have been consistently entertaining.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FancyMike posted:

And Face/Off, Windtalkers, Red Cliff.

I'm just not down with saying he peaked at Hard Boiled. There's hardly a drop in quality to his best later films and even the ones I like less have been consistently entertaining.

There wasn't a significant drop. It's more that he didn't develop much and didn't seem to learn a lot of new tricks after 1992. He polished a few of his old ones, but they felt like 'greatest hits' rather than new films. Some of it can be owed to restrictions of Hollywood, but even Red Cliff doesn't have the nastiness or energy of Hard Boiled.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They'd have to get genetic freaks and pump them with even more pills than the usual Hollywood diet, but if you're going to do it make it for something good.. like Baki

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The best part of Broken Arrow is John Travolta turning around to face off against a nuclear warhead rocketing towards him and staring it down like some kind of ultimate badass only to get speared by the god drat thing because OF COURSE THAT'S WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Schneider Heim posted:

The Killer and especially Hard Boiled are incredible. Hard Target’s flawed, but it has its charms (Van Damme punching a snake! Wilford Brinkley!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hard Target’s flawed, but it has its charms (Van Damme punching a snake! Wilford Brinkley!)

Lance Henriksen is a great heavy.

I think I still like Face/Off best for Hollywood Woo, though, because it's just so mad.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Face/Off would be much better if it was 20-30 minutes shorter.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Face/Off is one of the few 2-hour+ action movies that justifies its length, it’s paced extremely well. The last time I watched it I was struck that you don’t get to the prison until 40 minutes in, it feels way shorter than that. It also doesn’t hurt that they have two of Hollywood’s biggest hams doing it big next to great character actors.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

but even Red Cliff doesn't have the nastiness or energy of Hard Boiled.

If you like a nasty Hong Kong I've been catching up on Ringo Lam since he passed and cannot recommend his films enough.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Agreed. City On Fire is greatness.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
City on Fire is the one Tarantino basically remade into Reservoir Dogs, right?

Also, are any of Lam’s movies easily accessible in America, or will I need to check YouTube to watch his stuff?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

City on Fire is the one Tarantino basically remade into Reservoir Dogs, right?

Also, are any of Lam’s movies easily accessible in America, or will I need to check YouTube to watch his stuff?

Sure, but the movie is a masterpiece in its own right and a great watch regardless of your thoughts on Tarantino and Reservoir Dogs.

City on Fire is on Kanopy, Full Contact is on Fandor. Unfortunately the excellent Prison on Fire and School on Fire are a bit tougher to find. Victim is on Shudder but I haven't watched it yet, and his movies with Van Damme are around on a few services. Maximum Risk is decent, I haven't seen In Hell since it came out or Replicant ever.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FancyMike posted:

Sure, but the movie is a masterpiece in its own right and a great watch regardless of your thoughts on Tarantino and Reservoir Dogs.

City on Fire is on Kanopy, Full Contact is on Fandor. Unfortunately the excellent Prison on Fire and School on Fire are a bit tougher to find. Victim is on Shudder but I haven't watched it yet, and his movies with Van Damme are around on a few services. Maximum Risk is decent, I haven't seen In Hell since it came out or Replicant ever.

I love Reservoir Dogs, and ever since I heard it was a remake, I knew I had to see it. And thank you, I have both Kanopy and Shudder, so I’ll definitely check those out!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FancyMike posted:

This is probably the best you're ever going to see School on Fire look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPNxeQD_-M

This version has the final death at the end uncut, but I don't think a completely uncut version of the movie exists anymore. :/

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I finished A Better Tomorrow at 3 AM (was going to sleep after the opening act, but I got so hooked I had to keep watching). I really liked it! Thinking if I should watch the sequel or jump to The Killer already.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

So I finished A Better Tomorrow at 3 AM (was going to sleep after the opening act, but I got so hooked I had to keep watching). I really liked it! Thinking if I should watch the sequel or jump to The Killer already.

The sequel is not very good, but the last twenty minutes or so are...maybe not the best John Woo work, but definitely the most John Woo work.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do the sequel next. Then the Killer, and top it off with the glorious insanity that is Hard Boiled.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This is probably the best you're ever going to see School on Fire look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPNxeQD_-M

This version has the final death at the end uncut, but I don't think a completely uncut version of the movie exists anymore. :/

That looks pretty good. Too bad about that dub and the lack of english subs though.

A Better Tomorrow 2 has some good stuff and is rough but overall I kind of like it. I wouldn't fault anyone for skipping it. A Better Tomorrow 3 and Bullet in the Head are both as good as the original though and should be considered essential.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FancyMike posted:

I remember Replicant being pretty entertaining for a mid 90s DTV Van Damme. Probably near the top of that particular niche, along with the Order and Legionnaire

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FancyMike posted:

That looks pretty good. Too bad about that dub and the lack of english subs though.

A Better Tomorrow 2 has some good stuff and is rough but overall I kind of like it. I wouldn't fault anyone for skipping it. A Better Tomorrow 3 and Bullet in the Head are both as good as the original though and should be considered essential.

ABT3 is loving terrible

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

ABT3 is loving terrible

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It feels like someone doing a bad John Woo impression. Tsui Hark is way better when he's doing his own thing. In fact, he can be loving incredible.

Bullet in the Head is loving aces, though. It's like the action movie that plays in the background of a cartoon, but its played completely straight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wandle Cax posted:

I remember Replicant being pretty entertaining for a mid 90s DTV Van Damme. Probably near the top of that particular niche, along with the Order and Legionnaire
Replicant isn't in the same niche as most of his 90s films. It's a cheesy Italian exploitation film that just happens to not be Italian. By that standard, I actually think 2019: After the Fall of New York is the best of the extremely specific "low-budget Terminator crossed with Mad Max" genre. But Replicant has JCVD and some cool fights.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
John Wick 3 Trailer. Not sure how much of it is supposed to be a surprise, plot-wise.

John's on a horse! Team up! Bikes! Puppies!

So... Any action classic to watch in the mean time? In particular, either scratching that John Wick itch, or something like Heat (not exactly an action movie, but the few gunfight scenes are excellent)?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gun Jam posted:

So... Any action classic to watch in the mean time? In particular, either scratching that John Wick itch, or something like Heat (not exactly an action movie, but the few gunfight scenes are excellent)?

How about the movies stated as inspirations by the creators of Wick?

That goes back to stuff like the Lee Marvin-starring John Boorman-directed Point Blank (more of a neo-noir movie than an action movie but still good stuff - I think it's the one they've said is the single biggest influence) through movies like John Woo's The Killer and the Vengeance trilogy.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gun Jam posted:

John Wick 3 Trailer. Not sure how much of it is supposed to be a surprise, plot-wise.

John's on a horse! Team up! Bikes! Puppies!

I don't know if it's a classic, but the fight scenes in Jack Reacher are great and the whole movie was basically Christopher McQuarrie's ticket into directing the Mission: Impossible series.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gun Jam posted:

There's an obvious homage to The Villainess in that trailer so maybe give that one a shot, though it's not really a classic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lumbermouth posted:

I don't know if it's a classic, but the fight scenes in Jack Reacher are great and the whole movie was basically Christopher McQuarrie's ticket into directing the Mission: Impossible series.

I see McQuarrie is committed to two more which will be out in 2020 and 2021 (and probably filmed back to back).

Chances that these are a two-part finale for Cruise? He will be almost 60 when the second one comes out (even older if he breaks something and they have to delay it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Marking out over tandem attack dogs.