Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Variants in all sorts of cultures.

Selkies are actually seals though; he's thinking of Kelpies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

Yeah I’ve watched The Secret of Roan Inish about 20 times while working in an art house theater and personally made fun of it to the director on accident while bartending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skasion posted:

It is more probable that Poseidon is a syncretic figure of 1) a horse-god associated with the underworld (there was an old Arcadian myth about horse-Poseidon raping horse-Demeter which seems to have an echo in the Eleusinian mystery story of Hades and Persephone) and 2) a Homeric/Hesiodic god whose sphere was that of the waters, as Zeus received the sky and Hades the underearth, and despite the preexistence of other river/sea deities. Why this association originally arose is not clear (to me anyway, though there are water/horse traditions elsewhere in Europe).

It goes the other way, earthshaking is associated with water by the ancient Greeks more so than with horses (cf the pre-Socratic philosopher Thales trying to demystify earthquakes by opining that the earth rests on a great body of water, which intermittently shakes the earth with its waves).

I always loved the Thales/water thing as an example of the power of observation and its limits, because his model is not entirely wrong! He just puts the ground that we walk on and credits the motion to the wrong liquid!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Which liquid are you envisioning?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Scarodactyl posted:

Which liquid are you envisioning?

Magma/Lava, the motion of which can contribute to certain types of earthquakes.

i.e. he's right to notice a sort of a fluid dynamic to earthquakes, but the information he was drawing his conclusions from was limited.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Variants in all sorts of cultures.

Selkies are actually seals though; he's thinking of Kelpies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

Right, sorry!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man that's basically an unusually gay Renaissance painting

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

aphid_licker posted:

Man that's basically an unusually gay Renaissance painting

Just silkies on parade.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skasion posted:

It is more probable that Poseidon is a syncretic figure of 1) a horse-god associated with the underworld (there was an old Arcadian myth about horse-Poseidon raping horse-Demeter which seems to have an echo in the Eleusinian mystery story of Hades and Persephone) and 2) a Homeric/Hesiodic god whose sphere was that of the waters, as Zeus received the sky and Hades the underearth, and despite the preexistence of other river/sea deities. Why this association originally arose is not clear (to me anyway, though there are water/horse traditions elsewhere in Europe).

It goes the other way, earthshaking is associated with water by the ancient Greeks more so than with horses (cf the pre-Socratic philosopher Thales trying to demystify earthquakes by opining that the earth rests on a great body of water, which intermittently shakes the earth with its waves).

didn't the sumerians have separate gods for freshwater and seawater, with the freshwater one also tying into the underworld?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There was a sort of general belief in ancient near eastern cosmology that there was a freshwater sea under the earth called the Apsu, distinct from the saltwater ocean.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Scarodactyl posted:

There was a sort of general belief in ancient near eastern cosmology that there was a freshwater sea under the earth called the Apsu, distinct from the saltwater ocean.

Makes sense because when you dig down and hit water it’s almost always fresh.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

:hmmyes:

makes sense

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

In Sumerian/Babylonian mythology Apsu is the god of fresh waters and Tiamat is the goddess of the ocean, and where they meet is where creation begins. (And then later Marduk slays Tiamat. Here's a decent lecture about this creation myth)

I don't think this influenced Poseidon though.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Man I cannot talk about Marduk without thinking of Sealab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCoiNj09xBM

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

LingcodKilla posted:

Also cave systems with underground rivers and such.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Viking cat archeology is my exact fetish.

I'm the average dog.

So obviously the journalism here is pretty terrible but it seems the studies authors are guessing when they say cat size increase is likely due to diet, which seems a mite improper. Like I could just as easily postulate domestication led to a removal of certain selection pressures keeping cat size low, but I wouldn't because I don't have any evidence.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

I'm the average dog.

So obviously the journalism here is pretty terrible but it seems the studies authors are guessing when they say cat size increase is likely due to diet, which seems a mite improper. Like I could just as easily postulate domestication led to a removal of certain selection pressures keeping cat size low, but I wouldn't because I don't have any evidence.

Isn't this how science work? You form a hypothesis, you test it and then you revise/update/discard said hypothesis based on your conclusion? You then repeat the experiment, have it peered reviewed and then it becomes theory?

quote:

More research is needed to confirm the new finding, but there’s a good chance it had to do with being better fed.

When I read this, it sounds to me as if they provided an hypothesis, and now more research needs to be done to either prove or disprove this hypothesis.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I'm in a different field, but putting hypotheses to be tested in future research into your discussion section is extremely common in my field

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Everybody loves bigger cats. Don’t need science for that.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Being better fed sounds like it could be plausible to me. Smaller cats might have an advantage in the wild because they'd make less noise/be slightly harder to see, if they get domesticated they don't have to worry about getting spotted by predators/their prey spotting them so much. Maybe the bigger cats had an advantage in fighting over the food that was put out by humans, like big birds in parks/campgrounds today. Maybe an abundance of food meant that cats with the genes to grow bigger actually had the nutrients to grow and that let them survive against predators better.

Thats just me speculating once I've already heard their hypothesis though and I'm by no means knowledgable in biology but to me it makes sense that having easy access to food from humans could mean they got bigger.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 11, 2019

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I was "impressing" my wife this morning with my yo-yo "skills" acquired during the two brief yo-yo crazes in the late 80's and early 90's in Australia and it made me wonder - do we have any record of fads from the ancient world?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Elissimpark posted:

I was "impressing" my wife this morning with my yo-yo "skills" acquired during the two brief yo-yo crazes in the late 80's and early 90's in Australia and it made me wonder - do we have any record of fads from the ancient world?

Bathing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mithraism?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wasn't there a record of an older Roman complaining about the youths growing facial hair like the barbarians or something?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Elissimpark posted:

Trousers

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Older Romans complained that young Scipio Aemilianus had long hair - LIKE A GIRL :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Imagined posted:

Wasn't there a record of an older Roman complaining about the youths growing facial hair like the barbarians or something?

Young Roman men traditionally grew out their first beard for a while before shaving and dedicating it to a god as a rite of passage (presumably the amusement of other Romans was also a factor in this tradition). This may reflect that shaving was not a native Roman tradition; Scipio brought it into fashion along with other Greek cultural mores. Of course ironically when beards came back into style through Hadrian, he was imitating contemporary Greek practices as well.

Anyway under the late Republic and Principiate, growing large amounts of facial hair in adulthood was regarded as alarming and extreme behavior at best (Augustus did this when Varus failed to bring back his legions) and simply slovenly and probably barbarous at worst. But having a well-kempt beard during the Augustan age can not have been too unusual; Ovid’s “Art of Love” assumes you have one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Imagined posted:

Yep. During Caesar's youth we have record of a fad among the kids of the aristocracy running around with big mustaches and wearing pants because dressing like a Gaul was the cool thing to do, scandalizing their parents. Greek and Egyptian art/religion/architecture also seem to have been fads at different times, you'll find a bunch of tombs in a short period that all have Egyptian features and stuff like that.

I'm sure there were lots and lots of fads all the time that we don't have record of.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't help but wonder if the ancient Romans would have considered Nero's tragic neckbeard to be as unfortunate as we do today.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beards didn't seem to have become acceptable again for the upper classes until Hadrian, so probably. Though it may have just been a generalized dislike of beards rather than a specific neckbeard issue.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I remember Carlin saying that men wearing open front toga's with very sheer fabric was a fad spread by Caesar. Not sure on the source for that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Beards didn't seem to have become acceptable again for the upper classes until Hadrian, so probably. Though it may have just been a generalized dislike of beards rather than a specific neckbeard issue.

Domitian appears from his coin portraiture have a similar sideburns/chinstrap beard at times. On the other hand we have the story about how he shaved the philosopher Apollonius. I don’t have any especially strong evidence for this but I do think the Romans made a big distinction between a small amount of facial hair as one sees on Domitian or Nero, and a full beard with mustache like one sees on Hadrian or Aurelius.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Terrible Opinions posted:

I remember Carlin saying that men wearing open front toga's with very sheer fabric was a fad spread by Caesar. Not sure on the source for that.

He was chided for his loosely girded tunics and coats at least according to always extremely reliable Suetonius.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure if it counts as a fad per se because it went on for centuries, but dressing/acting like whatever the barbarian group of the age was was popular in the army. It was a part of how the later legions developed their own culture that separated them from mainstream Romans. They'd adopt fashions in hair and clothing, as well as borrowing words to make their own barbarized Latin to speak among the legionaries.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not sure if it counts as a fad per se because it went on for centuries, but dressing/acting like whatever the barbarian group of the age was was popular in the army. It was a part of how the later legions developed their own culture that separated them from mainstream Romans. They'd adopt fashions in hair and clothing, as well as borrowing words to make their own barbarized Latin to speak among the legionaries.

Soldiers always do this, even to today. Adopting local customs and dress is typical.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cessna posted:

Soldiers always do this, even to today. Adopting local customs and dress is typical.

Yeah, everybody does it. Try living somewhere foreign for a few years and not picking up local phrases and the like.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

How much of this is them picking up local customs vs them conscripting barbarians? Could we even tell?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

underage at the vape shop posted:

How much of this is them picking up local customs vs them conscripting barbarians? Could we even tell?
analyze the minerals in the teeth of any dead soldiers you find?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Modern army and their ridiculous obsession with beards.

The more things change.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Modern army and their ridiculous obsession with beards.

The more things change.

They just want to copy whatever the Special Forces guys are doing. Post 9/11 the Green Berets and Delta Force guys all grew huge beards to blend in with the Afghans a little better. See also the adoption of berets for all Army troops.

As for the Romans didn't the professional guys serve ridiculously long like 20 year terms? These were guys who didn't come back to their farm or whatever after the campaign season every year. They were away from Italy for decades. It's only natural they developed their own culture and drifted away from Roman culture. Weren't there also something like two slaves to every soldier following the legions around, dealing with the supply trains and all that? I imagine these were heavily populated with local victims of conquest. Maybe after you spend longer around Gallic slaves than you do around Italian freeborns the more you start adopting Gallic customs and language to talk to the servants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The vast majority of troops in the imperial period were not Italian to begin with. Recruitment after the republic tended to be done locally, which meant mostly in the frontier zones. This is why so many of the late Roman military elite hailed from the Danube, and also why the late Roman military was occasionally difficult to distinguish from barbarian forces even to Roman observers — see the Caesar Julian’s difficulty in convincing the people of Troyes that his men were not “one of the widespread bands of savages”.

Even the republic’s armies, though they chiefly are reported in terms of the (Italian) heavy infantry, may have drawn as much as half of their combat strength from non-Italian auxiliaries, to say nothing of non-combatants.