Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there some super-nerd site for keyboard where I can sell a few of the ones I have?

This hobby is starting to consume me, and it is getting to the point where I need to clean out a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
r/mechmarket

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wish a gk64 would go up there.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Got my Leopold today. All other keyboards are bad now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Found a random ebay seller with gk64's (labeled as used 64 key keyboard).

Wood case, laser etched keycaps, and unknown cherry mx switches (though i suspect reds or browns).

Not bad for $90 if its as described which is "A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging".

Was about to pay $165 from epathbuy for same config with no caps.

mewse
May 2, 2006

New keeb who this?

62g outemu silent sky switches from the heroinbob guy on reddit

Work flow was

- Drill center hole in base to "retool"
- Clip PCB mount pegs
- Put in spring
- Lube tactile bumps on stem and put in stem
- Put on clear no-slot cover

They are very nice switches and compare favourably to a 65g zealio I had in a switch tester

Aaaaand I did all that work to put them in a mechanicaleagle z-88, rip

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So apparently the Wooting Twos are shipping out from 6 January; no idea when they'll actually make it to Canada from the US though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Happy new year clackgoons!

Someone in this thread spoke about wanting a GK64. Here they're selling the XD64 kit, which can do the GK64 layout. I have one and it's working fine. Standard 60% cases fit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

Happy new year clackgoons!

Someone in this thread spoke about wanting a GK64. Here they're selling the XD64 kit, which can do the GK64 layout. I have one and it's working fine. Standard 60% cases fit.

Is it hotswap like gk64 though?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
A friend randomly gave me a GMK plum set because it looked bad on his board and he didn't want to go through the hassle of reselling it.

I might try moving delete to the top right and putting backspace on the pipe key since I have all the right keys for it now. Those Massdrop GMK sets come with everything.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Don Lapre posted:

Is it hotswap like gk64 though?

Ah, no, sorry. Hotswappable boards hadn't really come into my thinking when I made that suggestion.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There is a gk64 listing on Amazon prime right now for $129. Looks identical to the build I just got off ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-keycaps-Profile-Switches/dp/B07F7ZR76W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546358564&sr=8-1&keywords=gk64

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 1, 2019

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Don Lapre posted:

There is a gk64 listing on Amazon prime right now for $129. Looks identical to the build I just got off ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-keycaps-Profile-Switches/dp/B07F7ZR76W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546358564&sr=8-1&keywords=gk64

That layout has a slightly irregular stagger on the ZXC row... that would drive me insane

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got some box jades and holy cow they are awesome. Sound great and really really tactile

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It looks like a GK64 is exactly what I want - the main thing I dislike about 60% boards is DEL behind hidden behind a function layer, that is awesome.

Letting go of my Vortexgear Race 3 with blues also, in case anyone is interested.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

It looks like a GK64 is exactly what I want - the main thing I dislike about 60% boards is DEL behind hidden behind a function layer, that is awesome.

Letting go of my Vortexgear Race 3 with blues also, in case anyone is interested.

I have a wood one now and an aluminum one. The alu one is WAY heavier though the wood one is no slouch.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

IuniusBrutus posted:

I’m looking to sell an igk68 with aluminum case if you’re interested. No switches, has caps.

The entire thing is unused because I thought DHL had left my first igk68 on my doorstep and marked as delivered despite there being no package. Assuming it was stolen I ordered a second.

Two weeks later DHL phoned me to say they still have the first package for me and now I have two keyboards.

Shipping from Canada so it’ll be a lot cheaper than from China.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have experience w/ the Nixeus keyboard?

I would really like to get another keyboard but my almost 10 yo Das Keyboard is still working frustratingly well. Thank you for all the keyboard posting ITT though, it's really inspiring me to get another anyways.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wood vs Aluminum. I think I need one more for my 7 year olds pc

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imagine a chorded keyboard... but with 4 or 5-way toggles instead of keys

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

shovelbum posted:

Imagine a chorded keyboard... but with 4 or 5-way toggles instead of keys

Datahand?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7UajuYCIyk

I remember trying this at a computer fair in the early 90s. It was weird.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Am I missing something here? There's this 'Qisan 68 key' https://www.amzn.com/B01E8KO2B0 versus the 'Qisan 68' key in the op https://www.amzn.com/B01872MCIA
They seem to be the same product sold by the same seller with a $30 price difference

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

Datahand?

Oh man that's a beautiful monstrosity. You could get away with like 3 fingers and a thumb if you chorded that thing probably.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Am I missing something here? There's this 'Qisan 68 key' https://www.amzn.com/B01E8KO2B0 versus the 'Qisan 68' key in the op https://www.amzn.com/B01872MCIA
They seem to be the same product sold by the same seller with a $30 price difference

The switches are the difference. Outemu is cheapest, then gateron then cherry. They are great keyboards. I've had 3 gateron brown units.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

No backlight LEDs in the cheaper one, in addition to the switch changes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think I'm back on track to finish my Dactyl build, ordered a bunch of these single switch amoeba PCBs (not my photo):

Should make the hand wiring significantly easier.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rexxed posted:

Datahand?

This poo poo is the keyboard equivalent of the controller you give your friend when they come over to play videogames.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

How much for the race 3?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DHL is fast

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Don Lapre posted:

DHL is fast

Yes they are. I bought some smart bulbs from a Hong Kong vendor and paid like 8 dollars for 3-5 business day delivery via DHL. Stuff was on my doorstep in two days from the other side of the world. Meanwhile my Amazon order from their warehouse three hours away took four days to deliver.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yes they are. I bought some smart bulbs from a Hong Kong vendor and paid like 8 dollars for 3-5 business day delivery via DHL. Stuff was on my doorstep in two days from the other side of the world. Meanwhile my Amazon order from their warehouse three hours away took four days to deliver.

Fastest shipping ive ever had was fedex on a korean monitor. Took less than 24 hours from when i ordered on ebay to getting the monitor from sk.

edit: installed

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 10, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
What's up with https://www.wasdkeyboards.com being out of stock on literally every single switch type imaginable?

My buddy was all about getting a keyboard from there, but it seems like he can't at the moment.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Zarin posted:

What's up with https://www.wasdkeyboards.com being out of stock on literally every single switch type imaginable?

My buddy was all about getting a keyboard from there, but it seems like he can't at the moment.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing...they posted on their facebook that they'll be getting more switches in sometime in the next few days.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hi keyboard goons! I want to buy a keyboard that I can plug my headphones into so I don't have to go diving under the table. The only ones I could find on Amazon are funny looking gaming keyboards, but I know less fancy ones exist because I used one in my old office.

Can you tell me what search terms to use? "Headphone keyboard" and "3.5mm plug keyboard" don't seem to do the trick.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

pidan posted:

Hi keyboard goons! I want to buy a keyboard that I can plug my headphones into so I don't have to go diving under the table. The only ones I could find on Amazon are funny looking gaming keyboards, but I know less fancy ones exist because I used one in my old office.

Can you tell me what search terms to use? "Headphone keyboard" and "3.5mm plug keyboard" don't seem to do the trick.

Does it have to be a keyboard? There are any number of extension cables you could get. Most speakers have headphone jacks on them. I think there are even some USB Hubs with them now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

pidan posted:

Buy a usb dac that sits on your desk, or a 3.5mm extension cable, or leave your headphones plugged in and right click on the windows volume icon and switch from speakers and headphones

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Thank you, I'll try some of those options. The headphone jack on my pc was broken, but I fixed it with some wiggling and will get an extension cord.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pidan posted:

Thank you, I'll try some of those options. The headphone jack on my pc was broken, but I fixed it with some wiggling and will get an extension cord.

There are cheap USB sound cards that I've used to work around a busted headphone port before

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

a usb dac would pair well with a keyboard with a built in hub. I ended up with a headphone stand that has usb3.0 hub in the base which kind of covers both bases. Maybe a mobile keyboard targeted at phones or tablets might benefit from having a headphone jack, but I've never seen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Question:
Has anyone had experience with the Cherry MX Light Grey (aka Tactile Grey)? If so, have you tried them vs. the Cherry MX Clear? Are they basically the same thing, just a different actuation force?

Background:
I have a CODE with Greens, and I love the thing to death. However, it's for my WFH setup, so I can get away with the noise. I think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on just buying my own personal keyboard for the office, so I'm starting to think about what kind of switch type I want for that.

At first, I was going to go with Cherry MX Clear, but then as I was reading around, Light Grey looks like it has an identical actuation curve as the Clear, just offset about 20 cN higher.

I think finding a board with Light Grey switches might be a challenge, but maybe that'll be half the fun, I dunno. (I was sorta hoping for something easy like WASD, with the custom color configurator, but whatever).