Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

I loved RSS, but it probably helps to have some exposure to the reality shows they are talking about.

This is my big problem with it, to be honest. I have zero context on any of these shows so I never have any idea what they're talking about and what's part of the bit or isn't.

e: plus the boys aren't cynical and bitter yet, which is a big part of the draw

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Franchescanado posted:

2018 was a solid year for HH, so really any ep will be good. The only “lore” you need is that a here are Pro version episodes, so you may miss references to jokes in that.

Just pick a year and a guest that you like and listen to that. Jump around. Listen to new episodes as they come out, as they tend to be more “topical” now (ie, they did a parody of Bandersnatch last week).

It’s more important to get a feel for the show rather than following continuity.

Yeah 2018 was a great year for HH. They know what they like doing at this point and they do it really well.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Love any time HH dunks on SNL but I was disappointed when I realized this week's ep wasn't going to have clips from a real audition tape

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eltoasto posted:

I loved RSS, but it probably helps to have some exposure to the reality shows they are talking about.

I do not watch reality shows because they are awful, and always felt like the clips they played gave enough context. Kind of like the Teaser Freezer.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
hard to believe kids today growing up on new HH will never know what it was like to have a show before chef kevin

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tarranon posted:

hard to believe kids today growing up on new HH will never know what it was like to have a show before chef kevin

:rip: skellington and broken english jokes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I still say Skellingtons and Frankensteins.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I still say Skellingtons and Frankeningsteins.

:same:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A pretty good way of getting into HH is listening to the series of ones where they "do" another host's podcast with them. So Lapkus, Kulap, PFT, Tawny, I remember those being very good and very antagonistic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I really enjoyed them ruinsing Adam Conover.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Tarranon posted:

ooh man I hope kids today go back and listen to the first 40 or something HH eps so they can hear me get the pro version in one of them, no big deal though. Also yeah the Adam Conover episode was great and probably works really well as an introduction to the show's general vibe without being too inside-baseball

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

good recent eps that aren't paywalled yet

270 adam pally
268 adam connover
261 jameela jalil
252 joe mande
250 the dough boys
247 patton oswalt
238 joe mande (listen to this one before the other joe mande one)

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
God the Joe Mande episodes are so good.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So I know they already started with last week's Harry's ad, but I can't imagine we won't soon discover their new contract also requires them to be closer to the copy on the ads (and prove how right the boys are that there is more value in making them memorable)

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Wow I just realized I've been listening to the ad free episodes of HH. Not even sure when i switched over.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

So I know they already started with last week's Harry's ad, but I can't imagine we won't soon discover their new contract also requires them to be closer to the copy on the ads (and prove how right the boys are that there is more value in making them memorable)

It sounded to me like they just forgot a bit when the copy insert popped in. They usually do the obviously required stuff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I really enjoyed them ruinsing Adam Conover.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

good recent eps that aren't paywalled yet

270 adam pally
268 adam connover
261 jameela jalil
252 joe mande
250 the dough boys
247 patton oswalt
238 joe mande (listen to this one before the other joe mande one)

These are great suggestions.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Wow I just realized I've been listening to the ad free episodes of HH. Not even sure when i switched over.

I actually prefer the ad free versions for the looser style of their modern eps. I never thought I’d say this because their ads are still hilarious but I think the show works better uninterrupted. Maybe one day they’ll make a pro ads version where all the ads are front-loaded.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's me, the sicko who thinks listening to ads is mostly annoying even if they throw in some bits to spice it up. There have been some exceptions here and there, mostly when they actively insult the company they're promoting, and I do think their ads reads are better than anyone else's, but I still don't generally view them as content.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

It's me, the sicko who thinks listening to ads is mostly annoying even if they throw in some bits to spice it up. There have been some exceptions here and there, mostly when they actively insult the company they're promoting, and I do think their ads reads are better than anyone else's, but I still don't generally view them as content.

I agree. What would probably be ideal is one at the top and one at the tail.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

looks like we've found some.. friggin MORIARTYS

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Quip ad in this weeks HH is really strange. I am guessing they won't be a sponsor for much longer.

Also The Flagrant One's released another greatest hits this week.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
One of the best starter for HH wasn't that long ago: Triumph at Comic-Con.
https://www.earwolf.com/episode/triumph-at-comic-con/

It's the boys recording the day after a disastrous live show at Comic-Con going through the show and dying of shame. Also with most of it being clips from a live-show there's not much in the way of in-jokes.

"One thing I was worried about, was the Comic-Con audience not being particularly "open" to people who weren't exactly like them poking light fun at the very thing they were there to celebrate.
- Extremely light.
For example saying the Hulk is just a green version of Ben Grimm. It turns out we were wrong, they LOVED that! BEST sense of humor about comic book stuff"

Don't just take my word for it, here's some random people saying that thing we always are afraid about to tell others about this show

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The ads are usually the best part of the show. Skipping them seems bonkers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Moriarty thing is seriously the funniest reoccurring joke on the show for me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’d argue an easy episode to ease into is the two Joe Mande episodes this year where they break down “his” stand up. It’s not a typical episode but it gives you a vibe.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I just realized if this HH going pro only ends up being a real thing and not just a bit there's not going to be anymore HH ads :cry:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

soggybagel posted:

I’d argue an easy episode to ease into is the two Joe Mande episodes this year where they break down “his” stand up. It’s not a typical episode but it gives you a vibe.

Oh man, I loved that episode. I thought I was the only one who found that stand up set lame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember quite liking it, but I was really drunk which might have contributed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
For the new listener who doesn't want to go full psycho and start with RSS from the beginning like I suggested yesterday, I think the Tom Scharpling episodes in order serve as a good summary of the show. In his first episode Tom is playing straight man to idiotic "insiders" Hayes & Sean, and with each subsequent appearance it gradually becomes a story about Tom desperate for the approval/business expertise of his cool new LA friends (who, by that point, are totally over it.)

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Moriarty thing is seriously the funniest reoccurring joke on the show for me.

The resurrection of Santaman in episode 201 is one of the show's greatest moments

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Oh man, I loved that episode. I thought I was the only one who found that stand up set lame.

Listening to Carlin routines today is like...you can absolutely recognize why the guy was such a big deal in his time, because his material is completely of its time, and that is exactly why it is embarrassingly terrible now.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Joe Mande is a man for the millennium.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
lunch time

is crunch time

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"I'm gender-specific, capital-intensive, user-friendly and lactose intolerant."
"Yeahhh, dude."

The way Joe says that, just fantastic.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Comic Con episode is their greatest achievement.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

I agree.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Laterite posted:

For sure. But listen to the Joe Mande episodes to understand how hard they eat poo poo. Also Jameela Jamil

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I love the idea of Podcasts abusing Cameo celebs for fake endorsements.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Jameela Jamil describing Sean as a weird dog who learned to jack off while watching a distant dog park is the best part

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
drat Hollywood Handbook had a pretty terrific 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Also to person who wants to get into the boys, just listen to every Tom Scharpling episode