Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Retro42 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good palate cleanser movie/show to watch? My parents plane lands in 4 hours and I need to get my head out of politics so I can interact with them without wanting to drink heavily.

Mother loving Bob Ross (on youtube)

Great British Bake Off (Netflix).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Your Taint posted:

This enrages me.

I've never been to Joshua Tree National Park but I'd assume there is more than substantial area for off roading and ATVing and the like, right?

Yes, there is a popular offroad event King of Hammers a few miles from there in a month. JTree is awesome and all I have for dipshits who did that is violent rhetoric. The mentality of people who go out of their way to gently caress up nature is beyond me.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
In an effort to be more involved in local politics, I joined a few California Democrat & "blue" facebook groups and quickly learned the old folks who run it are as obsessed with taking down AOC as the far-right media. Something about her makes them say "sit down and shut up, let the more experienced folks handle business" and every time I brought up the fact that people are actually discussing tax rates and the value of true radicalism, they shushed me too.

gently caress OLD DEMOCRATS, the old way got us here. gently caress decorum. gently caress the rules.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Pylons posted:

So what happens when you go with the "you were scammed by a conman" narrative and they vote for him anyway? Or another GOP racist shithead because they didn't change their core views in any way?

It's not really about them voting, though, it's about the chance to laugh and call Trump a conman. To compare him with a guy who has thirty watches hanging on the inside of his coat, or a wallet inspector.

In fact, I think it'd be an enormous moment if somebody called him Chief Wallet Inspector on a debate stage.

We can't convince Trump voters. We can convince the base, and also motivate non- or irregular voters by consistently acting like The Winning Franchise, and combine that with a platform of simple, straightforward promises to improve the material conditions of their lives, and a candidate who seems sincere about executing on that platform.

You need 1. Style, 2. Content, and 3. Credibility.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Retro42 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good palate cleanser movie/show to watch? My parents plane lands in 4 hours and I need to get my head out of politics so I can interact with them without wanting to drink heavily.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Congress has been slowly but surely ceding all of its power to the other two branches so they don't have to really take firm stances on anything and that system is reeling now that the other two are becoming ideolocally extreme and insane. Imagine a few more Brett's on the bench while Congress just rubber stamps whatever Pappy President tells them too. The Republicans, including new Serious guy Mitt Romney, suddenly deciding this dumbfuck wall is the more important thing ever because an idiotic game show host told them it was after he was yelled at by his favorite TV show is the point where a responsible media would maybe start focusing on that rather than curse worlds offending white supremacists.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 10, 2019

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, Senate Republicans literally don't need to negotiate anything. This entire shutdown is unique because it isn't a disagreement between parties, it's literally a disagreement between Trump and everyone else. Republicans clearly don't give a poo poo since they were ready to pass a clean CR when they thought that's what Trump wanted, so there's no loving reason not to override his veto and deal with the idiotic wall as an entirely separate issue.

But nope. Our democracy is effectively broken because Congress is unwilling to cross party lines to exercise its check against executive power.

Yeah that's what kills me with this loving bullshit. Everyone was all ready to pass a clean CR until Trump changed his mind and then suddenly it's all "oh no we must fall in line and act like it's the most important thing ever that we can't hold a vote or pass a bill without wall funds

gently caress off you shits. Have an original thought or motivation for once

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Your Taint posted:

This enrages me.

I've never been to Joshua Tree National Park but I'd assume there is more than substantial area for off roading and ATVing and the like, right?

I dunno but there is one now

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Retro42 posted:

Father Brown mysteries are charming and delightful

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Calling Republicans racists makes them turn out in greater numbers.

They're pretty sure that saying "Your racism is racist" is what killed Gillum

White fragility is a hell of a drug.

No the rampant voter suppression is what killed Gillum

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Sen. McConnell, call your office, a bunch of chickens just arrived to roost.

Reminder that Trump's fallback plan is to take money previously allocated to military construction budgets. Literally stealing from are troops to fund his vanity project.

Not to endorse an emergency declaration, but if Trump was to cannibalize funds from any agency I am hard pressed to think of a better one than the obscenely over-funded US military.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

theflyingorc posted:

Always and forever, The Good Place

My dad is literally blind and has been binge-loving The Good Place lately with my mom, who otherwise hates TV shows but likes this one show. The last show I remember her willingly watching was like Golden Girls 20 years ago.

It's a good show.

I've been finally getting to Pushing Daisies on prime video. It's REAL good. Stuff that should date it, like bad CG, instead just adds charm due to wonderful art design.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Oh poo poo yes, this. I'm so glad it's getting the awards it deserves.

Pander posted:

I've been finally getting to Pushing Daisies on prime video. It's REAL good. Stuff that should date it, like bad CG, instead just adds charm due to wonderful art design.

One of the first things my now-wife and I did when we moved in with each other was binge this show. I really love it. Wish they'd bring it back!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

theflyingorc posted:

Link them theys please.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

selec posted:

It's not really about them voting, though, it's about the chance to laugh and call Trump a conman. To compare him with a guy who has thirty watches hanging on the inside of his coat, or a wallet inspector.

In fact, I think it'd be an enormous moment if somebody called him Chief Wallet Inspector on a debate stage.

We can't convince Trump voters. We can convince the base, and also motivate non- or irregular voters by consistently acting like The Winning Franchise, and combine that with a platform of simple, straightforward promises to improve the material conditions of their lives, and a candidate who seems sincere about executing on that platform.

You need 1. Style, 2. Content, and 3. Credibility.

You can't convince the Democratic base with lies about the motivations of Trump supporters. Have you not been paying attention every time someone talks about speaking truth to power?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

This president thinks there are INVISIBLE PLANES and that ACTUAL COYOTES are trying to cross the border. He's stupid!

to be fair, actual coyotes are actually crossing the border.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Steve King really out here asking when did it become bad to call yourself a Nazi.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

In an effort to be more involved in local politics, I joined a few California Democrat & "blue" facebook groups and quickly learned the old folks who run it are as obsessed with taking down AOC as the far-right media. Something about her makes them say "sit down and shut up, let the more experienced folks handle business" and every time I brought up the fact that people are actually discussing tax rates and the value of true radicalism, they shushed me too.

gently caress OLD DEMOCRATS, the old way got us here. gently caress decorum. gently caress the rules.

This is all establishment Democrats, everywhere. Their attitude is their involvement means that they "earned" something, which is not entirely unfounded (like if you've been fighting for something for a long time you'll automatically bristle at someone new coming in and telling you you're wrong, that's human nature), but their attitude isn't that the Democrats need to fight for other people, it's that other people need to work for the Democrats before they'll be worth listening to. She's a threat because she primaried an establishment Democrat.

This is why we need to eat them from the inside out, keep staying involved, keep speaking up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Your Taint posted:

This enrages me.

I don't think you can randomly off road in most US National Parks.

Also, Joshua trees take about 60 years to reach maturity, and can live for 500 years. They may have just cut down a 400 year old tree that will take until most of us are dead to replace

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

steve king was so close to losing too.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Pylons posted:

You can't convince the Democratic base with lies about the motivations of Trump supporters. Have you not been paying attention every time someone talks about speaking truth to power?

Sorry if that was unclear, I meant we can't convince HIS base. And many, many Dems have friends and family who voted Trump. You have to accept that bagging on Trump voters is a losing strategy. I'm sorry, it would feel good to be able to do it, and we can do it all we want in the confines of these posts, but as a political strategy? Absolute dead end.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

VorpalBunny posted:

Local Democratic politics can be toxic as gently caress. I got involved with local politics for the first time during Ned Lamont's primary run in 2006 and the amount of vitriol and toxicity I experienced from Democrats against a guy who wasn't even particularly progressive for the time almost got me to swear off of local involvement altogether. Luckily I didn't, but things also haven't gotten any better.

I wish I could give you some advice, but there's nothing to say except that this is what it's like and you have to push through it as best you can. Don't be afraid to stand up, call people on their bullshit, and make enemies.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lemming posted:

This is all establishment Democrats, everywhere. Their attitude is their involvement means that they "earned" something, which is not entirely unfounded (like if you've been fighting for something for a long time you'll automatically bristle at someone new coming in and telling you you're wrong, that's human nature), but their attitude isn't that the Democrats need to fight for other people, it's that other people need to work for the Democrats before they'll be worth listening to. She's a threat because she primaried an establishment Democrat.

This is why we need to eat them from the inside out, keep staying involved, keep speaking up.

I think there's a lot of human nature that wants to work in a sort of hierarchy. You have established Dems and politicians who have been in it for a long time so they're the "leaders" and at the top and new congress people have to "put in their dues" or "earn it" before they can be trusted to contribute. The people now who are all in for AOC and other new leftist Dems will 10 years from now (assuming they stay in congress) probably be bitching about the new group of congress people who have different ideas and methods.

Not saying that it's right I think it's just something that everyone has to kind of fight against and be willing to let newcomers have some valuable input as well

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"Nailled It!" on Netflix is a great binge show if you like stuff like cakefails

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think you can randomly off road in most US National Parks.

Also, Joshua trees take about 60 years to reach maturity, and can live for 500 years. They may have just cut down a 400 year old tree that will take until most of us are dead to replace

Not most, but you can in some. Moab, Utah is probably one of the, if not THE most popular off-roading destinations in the world. Jeep clubs have been going there since the late 40's.

Jeep has been testing offroad capability there and at the Rubicon National Park for many years.

I highly recommend Moab if you have any interest in off-roading. I believe you can even rent a Jeep.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Trump doesn't think coyotes are actual wild animals, he thinks they're Mexican, which is the same thing in his mind.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

selec posted:

Sorry if that was unclear, I meant we can't convince HIS base. And many, many Dems have friends and family who voted Trump. You have to accept that bagging on Trump voters is a losing strategy. I'm sorry, it would feel good to be able to do it, and we can do it all we want in the confines of these posts, but as a political strategy? Absolute dead end.

Nope, wrong. Turn out your base by making them enthusiastic to vote. Drive home the idea that the Democrats are fighting for something, like health care, and that Trump and his lackeys are a disaster because they're all horrendously evil. Depress your opponents by turning their positions into anathema in society. Ostracize and berate them. This is literally why Democrats did so well last election, everyone is loving sick of the idiot baby in chief and all his hosed up supporters.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I’m out until tomorrow. If a mod could give me a sixer I’d appreciate the added incentive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

selec posted:

:agreed: The winning juxtaposition is not "Trump voters vs. everyone else." It's "corrupt stupid ultra-mega-rich rear end in a top hat failsons like Trump vs. everyone else." They are preying upon all of us.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Local Democratic politics can be toxic as gently caress. I got involved with local politics for the first time during Ned Lamont's primary run in 2006 and the amount of vitriol and toxicity I experienced from Democrats against a guy who wasn't even particularly progressive for the time almost got me to swear off of local involvement altogether. Luckily I didn't, but things also haven't gotten any better.

I wish I could give you some advice, but there's nothing to say except that this is what it's like and you have to push through it as best you can. Don't be afraid to stand up, call people on their bullshit, and make enemies.

It's even more insidious in safely blue areas. I live in a blue island in a purple state that will never, ever elect republicans. Somehow the local DA's daughter getting arrested for weed like two or three times now still hasn't convinced the locals that we could probably just stop prosecuting weed arrests. Fuckin' yuppies man.

Liberals and progressives really are not the same species. We have some interests in common, but we definitely have political goals that conflict with each other.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1083444896353144832

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 were also added to Netflix somewhat recently. Maybe not so great if they're climate change deniers, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lemming posted:

No the rampant voter suppression is what killed Gillum

You're not wrong, but he underperformed what was expected, and a lot of people think the reason was "you called me a racist"

It's touched on in this Huffington Post article:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-gillum-desantis-racism-florida_us_5be33387e4b0dbe871a61b3f

quote:

Unfortunately, their rightfully indignant responses only galvanize less extreme (i.e., casually racist) white voters to believe that Gillum ― and, by proxy, all black people ― are merely being “too sensitive” on issues of race.

There was an earlier article I can't find that interviewed several white Florida voters who came out to vote because, basically, they were mad at Gillum for calling a racist a racist. I don't think "White fragility is a big thing" should be that controversial.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Levitate posted:

I think there's a lot of human nature that wants to work in a sort of hierarchy. You have established Dems and politicians who have been in it for a long time so they're the "leaders" and at the top and new congress people have to "put in their dues" or "earn it" before they can be trusted to contribute. The people now who are all in for AOC and other new leftist Dems will 10 years from now (assuming they stay in congress) probably be bitching about the new group of congress people who have different ideas and methods.

Not saying that it's right I think it's just something that everyone has to kind of fight against and be willing to let newcomers have some valuable input as well

Yeah, exactly. I think what's important to understand is that this isn't how Democrats are, in particular. This is how people are, generally, and you'd face similar obstacles in other situations as well. The solution, like you said, is to push through and keep at it. Change won't happen if you leave them alone, you have to drag them kicking and screaming.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: I am tired and can't loving read, please disregard.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure running as a liberal black guy in Ground Zero of the Boomer Plague is what caused him to lose.

That's not exactly rocket science to figure out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

does this crowd stretch all around the bend?

https://twitter.com/crimmigration/status/1083445092021497856

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Lemming posted:

Nope, wrong. Turn out your base by making them enthusiastic to vote. Drive home the idea that the Democrats are fighting for something, like health care, and that Trump and his lackeys are a disaster because they're all horrendously evil. Depress your opponents by turning their positions into anathema in society. Ostracize and berate them. This is literally why Democrats did so well last election, everyone is loving sick of the idiot baby in chief and all his hosed up supporters.

I think you can do this to a degree with the ones who stick their heads up. People calling cops on black kids for doing nothing? We love to hate on them. But people who call cops, as a class, can't really be targeted.

Like it or not, probably the majority of Democrats would agree with the statement "You can vote for Trump and still be a good person."

My mom, who is a democratic volunteer, precinct data captain, and who houses state organizers every election cycle in her basement (seriously like half of the democratic strategy for the entire state gets hashed out around her kitchen table) is in that camp.

Like 75% of Democrats older than 45 have a good friend or family member they still love and spend time with who votes Republican.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Noise Complaint posted:

Not most, but you can in some. Moab, Utah is probably one of the, if not THE most popular off-roading destinations in the world. Jeep clubs have been going there since the late 40's.

Jeep has been testing offroad capability there and at the Rubicon National Park for many years.

I highly recommend Moab if you have any interest in off-roading. I believe you can even rent a Jeep.

It's probably pretty well regulated though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

What?????? No, please say this is a joke.

How so? They are on Netflix, and there's enough mentions of climate change/habitat destruction* that Retro42's folks might not like it if they're that particular flavor of awful.

*Caveat, I've only watched Planet Earth 2 so far, but I don't imagine Blue Planet 2 will be much different