Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

also my christmas bonus was a laptop sleeve and custom allbirds, that's pretty bubbly

i hope your cousin eddie was around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

we got a ham for christmas (and a turkey for thanksgiving)

bonuses are at the end of q1

If you are vegetarian/vegan is there some alternative thing you can get?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i'd assume so with the number of southeast asians employed here but i didn't ask

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

a ham with a gift receipt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

one of the other teams at my work had a super fancy christmas party and the veg food was amazing. it's nice to see catering companies start to figure that out, I've heard stories from people at big companies ending up with a plate of unseasoned rice at events

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i've never earned a bonus in my life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADINSX posted:

he's on my ignore list so I'd really love it if you all stopped quoting him

##.userid-16837 + .postbody

Captain Foo posted:

same. the director of the school gave us all bottles of reasonably good wine at christmas so i guess that's something

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

really good article about a dying small town (pop 2200) in illinois that almost overnight became a major intermodal logistics hub - and how it was the worst thing that could have happened to them

https://newrepublic.com/article/152836/elwood-illinois-pop-2200-become-vital-hub-americas-consumer-economy-its-hell

p much every pathology of the 21st century economy is present - the created jobs are all temp jobs (through a bewildering maze of staffing agencies that, purely coincidentally, makes it impossible to unionize the workers), the towns infrastructure is massively overloaded and theres no money to fix it (because of all the tax breaks they handed out to attract the facilities), the locals are now breathing diesel exhaust, there are tons of road accidents (because most trucks are owner-operated with little oversight or training), the towns politicians are completely bought off, and the warehouses are already starting to shed jobs to automation

surprisingly solid and deep dive

yeah small towns should be illegal, and its good that they're dying

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

same. the director of the school gave us all bottles of reasonably good wine at christmas so i guess that's something

yeah edu here and i got a nice bottle of whiskey this winter break :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at my last company since we basically never got a raise over 3% they tried to make up for it with bonuses which was all well and good until "it's been a tough year" and everyone makes 10% less

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

yes but have you received one?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

yeah edu here and i got a nice bottle of whiskey this winter break :)

oh true i also got a bottle of fancy rye from a rich student. that is probably the most valuable work-related gift/bonus i've ever received lol

i mean except for all the computers i steal and resell out of the back of my car, of course

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

have you considered working harder so that your company doesn't fail?

ehhhh nah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

yes but have you received one?

good point, but no

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

meanwhile last year the wife got like, $10,000 because she's the hardest and most diligent worker at her company and they were bought out by a big corporation that's actually treating them way better for i'm sure totally unsuspicious reasons

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

oh true i also got a bottle of fancy rye from a rich student. that is probably the most valuable work-related gift/bonus i've ever received lol

i mean except for all the computers i steal and resell out of the back of my car, of course

one year the owner of my old firm decided to ignore the $20 price limit and slipped a nice bottle of scotch into the company xmas party yankee swap that i managed to snag

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’ve gotten 10% raises every year i’ve been here and the bonuses pay out quarterly

i’m not leaving until we go public and this all gets ripped away piece by piece

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

at my last company since we basically never got a raise over 3% they tried to make up for it with bonuses which was all well and good until "it's been a tough year" and everyone makes 10% less

intel had the most overly complicated bonus structure. there were two "categories" of bonus, paid out at different times of year, and this complex formula that took GAAP results and spit out a days-of-pay metric

then the EU fined them 1.5 billion and they had to adjust the formula to avoid decimating the bonus that quarter lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

or just use the built in ignore function?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
we didn't get a bonus this year because some sales goal was not met

the highest the bonus could have been, if all goals were met or exceeded, was like under 100 euros.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

meanwhile last year the wife got like, $10,000 because she's the hardest and most diligent worker at her company and they were bought out by a big corporation that's actually treating them way better for i'm sure totally unsuspicious reasons

fattening them up for the slaughter, Thiel likes his flesh marbled

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Captain Foo posted:

I've never gotten a yearly one, just a couple of "spot bonuses", mostly because up until this point I've intentionally worked at smaller companies, where bonuses are more rare.

I'm at the point now where I'm tired of that, and I'm tired of progressing in my career at one company, only to have those accomplishments ignored by the next (oh you were "architect" at so and so? Well I've never heard of them so it doesn't mean much to me).

A real wakeup call was my wife getting a job as a developer with a big company and making not only a higher base pay, but with a 10-18% bonus structure (vs my 0%). Throw in stock grants (not "discounted" stock at no-name co) and free catered lunch and it really becomes no contest. Oh also she has 5 years less experience than me (7 if you count the masters degree where I worked as a developer part time)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I've worked at places that give bonuses. It owned. Now I work at a venture funded place and got a 25% raise over the past year. I'll take that any day over a one time payment.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
i hope you threw some grateful coitus her way, what a breadwinner

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
all private sector jobs are a scam

hoverwife's startin her public sector gig in 6 months and i'm lookin to jump ship for that sweet sweet state union position by next year because their pay structure is way way better even if you ignore the pension (and better insurance and better holidays/PTO time), and i get ~5% raises and around $5k in quarterly bonuses each year

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

I've worked at places that give bonuses. It owned. Now I work at a venture funded place and got a 25% raise over the past year. I'll take that any day over a one time payment.

Sure, but raises start to cap out at some point, I'm in my mid 30s now and I don't expect to get a 10% raise every year of my life.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
it’d be a lot cooler if you did

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

it’d be a lot cooler if you did

That's the thing I love about programming jobs, man. I get older, they pay a higher wage. Yes they do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

or just use the built in ignore function?

ublock way is better bc it doesn't have that tempting link to click

i'm not an expert in the filters yet but i am sure there's a way to also remove quote blocks that have "stymie posted" in them

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ADINSX posted:

I've never gotten a yearly one, just a couple of "spot bonuses", mostly because up until this point I've intentionally worked at smaller companies, where bonuses are more rare.

I'm at the point now where I'm tired of that, and I'm tired of progressing in my career at one company, only to have those accomplishments ignored by the next (oh you were "architect" at so and so? Well I've never heard of them so it doesn't mean much to me).

A real wakeup call was my wife getting a job as a developer with a big company and making not only a higher base pay, but with a 10-18% bonus structure (vs my 0%). Throw in stock grants (not "discounted" stock at no-name co) and free catered lunch and it really becomes no contest. Oh also she has 5 years less experience than me (7 if you count the masters degree where I worked as a developer part time)

thank you for doing your part to address the pay gap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

got it

add these two lines to your content filter and be free

forums.somethingawful.com##.userid-16837 + .postbody
forums.somethingawful.com##.postbody > .bbc-block:-abp-contains(Stymie)

it doesn't entirely remove stymies but anything they write is gone

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 10, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
if you have so little self-restraint that you have to unperson Stymie, you should go walk the Cursed Earth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
el oh el

quote:

Nest competitor Ring reportedly gave employees full access to customers’ live camera feeds

Last year, Amazon made waves in the smart home space by acquiring Ring for over $1 billion. Known for home security doorbells, a new report today claims that the company has a lax stance towards privacy that allowed more employees than seemingly necessary to access customers’ live camera feeds.

According to The Intercept, Ring’s engineers and executives have “highly privileged access” to live camera feeds from customers’ devices. This includes both doorbells facing the outside world, as well as cameras inside a person’s home. A team tasked with annotating video to aid in object recognition captured “people kissing, firing guns, and stealing.”

U.S. employees specifically had access to a video portal intended for technical support that reportedly allowed “unfiltered, round-the-clock live feeds from some customer cameras.” What’s surprising is how this support tool was apparently not restricted to only employees that dealt with customers.

The Intercept notes that only a Ring customer’s email address was required to access any live feed.

""Although the source said they never personally witnessed any egregious abuses, they told The Intercept “I can say for an absolute fact if I knew a reporter or competitor’s email address, I could view all their cameras.” The source also recounted instances of Ring engineers “teasing each other about who they brought home” after romantic dates.""

According to the report’s sources, employees had a blasé attitude to this potential privacy violation, but noted that they “never personally witnessed any egregious abuses.”

Meanwhile, a second group of Ring employees working on R&D in Ukraine had access to a folder housing “every video created by every Ring camera around the world.” What’s more, these employees had a “corresponding database that linked each specific video file to corresponding specific Ring customers.”

Also bothersome is Ring’s reported stance towards encryption. Videos in that bucket were unencrypted due to the costs associated with implementation and “lost revenue opportunities due to restricted access.”

Since the Amazon acquisition, more restrictions were reportedly put in place, though employees can still bypass them. When asked for comment, a Ring spokesperson did not specifically address the nature of the access allegations, but only noted current “strict policies” to “restrict and audit access to information.”

never ever ever ever put any kind of "smart" device in your house/apartment/condoyurt/unheated canadian anime hobo shack

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/10/ring-camera-live-feed-access/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

El_Elegante posted:

if you have so little self-restraint that you have to unperson Stymie, you should go walk the Cursed Earth

We're already walking the Cursed Earth, friend

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

intel had the most overly complicated bonus structure. there were two "categories" of bonus, paid out at different times of year, and this complex formula that took GAAP results and spit out a days-of-pay metric

then the EU fined them 1.5 billion and they had to adjust the formula to avoid decimating the bonus that quarter lol

its only gotten weirder in the last couple years.

the payouts continue to be good as the last quarter (Q3 2018) was another record. Now that I have said this tho Q4 will be bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

never ever ever ever put any kind of "smart" device in your house/apartment/condoyurt/unheated canadian anime hobo shack

our new TV is "smart" (because you can't buy dumb tvs any more apparently) and the first thing I did was skip the connect to wifi step and then configure it to boot directly into an hdmi input

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

our new TV is "smart" (because you can't buy dumb tvs any more apparently) and the first thing I did was skip the connect to wifi step and then configure it to boot directly into an hdmi input
non-smart tvs exist, theyre just more expensive than smart ones (because, like with low-end windows machines, their entire margin is made up on preloading apps and monitoring features)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

non-smart tvs exist, theyre just more expensive than smart ones (because, like with low-end windows machines, their entire margin is made up on preloading apps and monitoring features)

yep. they just out and say as much now. proud to represent a net loss

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my coworker was talking the other day about how happy he was that after getting two more for christmas he finally had a google assistant speaker thing in every room of his house :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

And we definitely talked about the pervasive ad tracking that all smart TVs do — especially after I noticed the new Vizio P-Series in my parents’ house seems to ping the network an awful lot. Baxter told me that he thinks Vizio is the industry leader in disclosing what tracking is happening and letting users opt in or out during setup, and that he’s fine if people choose to turn it off. But he was also clear that TV companies are in a cutthroat business, and that companies like Vizio would have to charge higher prices for hardware if they didn’t run content, advertising, and data businesses.

i'm proud to say we're an industry leader in telling you we're loving you :patriot: