Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

elf help book posted:

all the ambassador games were gba and nes games, no lttp

there was a gba lttp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

efb

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

You skipped the two best ones, tbh. The first game on DS was only novel in that it came out after it had been years since a 2D Mario, and the second 3DS one was only interesting because they explicitly said it existed for Nintendo's newer hires to cut their teeth on which is unfortunate because it's legitimately like, the worst and most boring Mario game (I know I beat it but remember nothing about it).

Wii U is probably the better of the two console ones because the first one was more concerned about making the multiplayer work and was fun, so the level design wasn't as good as the Wii U one.

Thank you. I am excited to play NSMB now.

HORMELCHILI posted:

there was a gba lttp

And it has a nice, extra ending.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The wii and wiiu ones are really fun but only if you're playing multiplayer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

that too, they help elevate it somewhat when you can just randomly pick up the people you're playing with and chuck them into pits

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

yeah, it's this, and it's best if you can actually get four people

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

extremebuff posted:

the 3ds meanwhile gave me link to the past for free. this poo poo is so bad

Lmao I read your post before I went to sleep and stayed up like 20 minutes finding my 3ds and connecting it to my wifi in my new place and downloading updates wondering where my free lttp was

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it was a special award for suggesting majora's mask 3ds, thank you ninty. also it was the snes version.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

extremebuff posted:

it was a special award for suggesting majora's mask 3ds, thank you ninty. also it was the snes version.
Congrats Bob's brother on getting the weird free video game gift that no one else has ever reported receiving for some strange ambiguous reason.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

like you suggested to nintendo that they make majoras mask 3ds and they sent you a free lttp as a thank you note?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

b_d posted:

like you suggested to nintendo that they make majoras mask 3ds and they sent you a free lttp as a thank you note?

actually, i can sort of believe this. one time as a prank my friend, without telling me, wrote a letter to the frito lay company in my name saying that i loved their products, i wanted to know if anything new was on the slate, and i had suggestions for some cool flavored cheetos, and they sent me a big laminated packet with company information and free samples.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

b_d posted:

that's exactly what I'm saying.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
shiggy came to my house and personally installed super mario 3d world 2 on my switch cause i drew him a picture of super mario

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

Badass

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I don’t believe him.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

American McGay posted:

Congrats Bob's brother on getting the weird free video game gift that no one else has ever reported receiving for some strange ambiguous reason.

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I believe him. I’m Team Bob.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I loving love Bob.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The handheld New Super Mario Bros games are pretty poor outings. NSMB DS is more a proof of concept and NSMB 2 is a weird score attack game.

However, NSMB Wii and NSMB U (Super Luigi U, also) are among the best 2D Marios, easily hanging with SMB3 and SMW, especially if you're doing multiplayer. However, maybe don't play them back-to-back, as they are similar to each other in terms of design and it will all sort of blend together.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think smbwii was still kinda lovely. i mean if you do it coop its still good but anything would be lol, smbu was great though and so was the Year of Luigi DLC.

tropical freeze blows all those games out of the water though if anyone hasn't played that yet

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I loving love Bob.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
nintendo's 2d mario level design really stagnated through the wii and wiiu generations. Tropical Freeze's "two or three interacting gimmicks per level" trick makes the game feel a lot more fresh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if tropical freeze is the bar for 2d platformers, it's going to be hard for many games to hit the mark tbh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Tropical Freeze is the greatest video game ever released.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's ok

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i would describe it as "very good."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It was surprisingly good. I didn't like DKCR much but Tropical Freeze is delightful. Level 3-1 is lovely, just such a pleasant game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm a fan of DKCR:TF

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i like it but i haven't beaten all the temples yet because they are very hard and i am weak of will

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff posted:

Awesome . And I really enjoyed the Majoras Mask port so thank you man .

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

any strings you can pull to get super mario sunshine on the switch?

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

hold this thread as i walk away :sigh:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

currently concentrating my energies on mario maker switch. I will get back to you.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

nintendo used to send a shitload of swag if you were a kid and mailed in an appreciation letter. That being said i dont think they mailed bob the free zelda

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

nintendo used to send a shitload of swag if you were a kid and mailed in an appreciation letter. That being said i dont think they mailed bob the free zelda

it was an email actually. they sent it to boobs brother asking him to tell his son to stop mailing letters with crayon drawings if skull kid

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

White Genocide posted:

hold this thread as i walk away :sigh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was surprisingly good. I didn't like DKCR much but Tropical Freeze is delightful. Level 3-1 is lovely, just such a pleasant game

World 2 is probably my favorite world in any platformer ever

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

everyone's talking about this tropixal freeze so I guess I'll give it a go when it goes on sale (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

everyone's talking about this tropixal freeze so I guess I'll give it a go when it goes on sale (lol)

It's been on sale multiple times both physical and on the eShop. Topic Locked.