Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd even say notorious time sink rpg witcher 3 would clock in around a cool 30 hours (maybe less?) if you just kept your blinders on and stuck to the story quests, it's just that the people get stuck in the weeds because most of the weeds are actually interesting enough to get stuck into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The main story is like the last thing I want to focus on in something that is supposed to be an open world game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well true. I've never played a western open world game. I was just assuming.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You need the xp because Novogrod ghouls are somehow much stronger than Velen ghouls

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

You need the xp because Novogrod ghouls are somehow much stronger than Velen ghouls

The main quest in Witcher 3 showers you with xp

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you don't get meaningful xp from sidequest missions in witcher 3 only story missions

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh that's cool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I actually out levelled the MQ for 95% of the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMm well I guess I played Witcher 2. But that was a pretty small game and I just ran from main story to main story bc the gameplay sucked. I also played about 90 minutes of the Vita assassin's creed before knowing I would never need to play one of those games ever.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I bought Spider-Man on release and loved it but its DLC model is definitely not something that should be a model: it not only split one overarching story into three very short chunks but also obviously chopped at least part of the content from the main game and it made me not want to buy the DLC at all.

List of games that did DLC the best way:

1. Witcher 3
2. God of War

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I bought Spider-Man on release and loved it but its DLC model is definitely not something that should be a model: it not only split one overarching story into three very short chunks but also obviously chopped at least part of the content from the main game and it made me not want to buy the DLC at all.

List of games that did DLC the best way:

1. Witcher 3
2. God of War

New Vegas has really solid DLC too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon's DLC was solid, of course back in my day we just called 10-12 hours of new content in a different zone "expansions."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol when i beat vanilla horizon i told myself i'd take a break between it and the dlc and the break ended up being like a week and a half

what a good rear end game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I stopped playing HZD like 70% through and never ended up going back to it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

MMm well I guess I played Witcher 2. But that was a pretty small game and I just ran from main story to main story bc the gameplay sucked. I also played about 90 minutes of the Vita assassin's creed before knowing I would never need to play one of those games ever.

yeah i would say witcher 2 would barely even qualify as open world, even the areas where you could explore were extremely small and linear. comparing it to 3 is kind of like comparing... hmm... knights of the old republic to... dragon age inquisition? skyrim maybe? except in this case not complete dogshit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Andrast posted:

The main story is like the last thing I want to focus on in something that is supposed to be an open world game.
thats interesting because i find most open world content to be hot garbage, and only do the main story

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I keep meaning to get back to Horizon, but it needs me to accurately aim on a gamepad and I suck at that.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I took a months long break from Horizon, then bought the DLC on sale and ended up actually finishing the game, then getting all the trophies. I plan to do the same with Spider-Man when I eventually buy the DLC.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

thats interesting because i find most open world content to be hot garbage, and only do the main story

Well, I also find it garbage. I just don't like many open world games because I think they do a poo poo job at taking advantage of the open world structure.

Like I think Witcher 3 is a loving terrible open world game and would be way better with a more linear structure. It's just saved by the storytelling.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

character is prebaked from the get go, no monster factory episode is possible

Game better have actual character development then, any AAA game that doesn't feature character customization better be because the main character is a set character with actual writing and development. Exceptions are for longstanding characters like most Nintendo franchises. New IPs have no excuse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i honestly don't know what people get out of open world games that aren't of the sandbox variety (GTA, etc) and too many AAA games fall into the non-sandbox open world category :/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Game better have actual character development then, any AAA game that doesn't feature character customization better be because the main character is a set character with actual writing and development. Exceptions are for longstanding characters like most Nintendo franchises. New IPs have no excuse.

i also think that you only have the one samurai sword weapon the entire game (offhand arm attachments notwithstanding) and you just upgrade it/specialize it to suit you but it's very possible i'm making that up

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

I keep meaning to get back to Horizon, but it needs me to accurately aim on a gamepad and I suck at that.

beeline for the slowdown abilities if you're having trouble.

either that or just focus on setting traps. some of my best fun in that game was baiting stuff into canyons where i had like dozens of traps ready to kill them instantly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i also think that you only have the one samurai sword weapon the entire game (offhand arm attachments notwithstanding) and you just upgrade it/specialize it to suit you but it's very possible i'm making that up

update: according to this i am not: https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapons

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tbh I didn't even know shadows could die

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

someones never heard of persona

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

What did you think was in the Shadow Realm?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

reading up on it a bit more it's sounding like sekiro might be from software's shadows of mordor, except hopefully not poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Can I be a くノ一 (kunoichi) in sekiro

No just the boring dude which is the worst thing about it imo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I got a sneak peak at the ending of Sekiro and all it says is "the arm is really your wife"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Most games aren't actually 100 hours long. The only ones I can think of in recent years are long rear end JRPGs like Persona 5 and DQXI. Persona 5 is definitely too long but I'm like 50 hours into DQXI and I can already tell I wish it would be longer once I eventually finish it. Open world collectathon games are like 15 hours long if you just ignore all the boring poo poo.

DQ11 is honestly not very long if you ignore all the side stuff tho, it's not like P5 where you have dozens of hours of dialogue

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's with Activision publishing it instead or Sony or w/e

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

What did you think was in the Shadow Realm?

A fun place where all old shadows go to play forever? :ohdear:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

No just the boring dude which is the worst thing about it imo

It disappointed me at first in Nioh too but I suppose I'm also something of a western samurai myself

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

What's with Activision publishing it instead or Sony or w/e

Well its cross platform so Sony is out and I guess they didn't wanna work with Bamco anymore? Or vice versa?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bamco possibly wasn't interested in anything that didn't have Souls in the title and Activision stumped up the cash I guess

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It disappointed me at first in Nioh too but I suppose I'm also something of a western samurai myself

every time i think about trying nioh i get incredibly put off by the main character's design

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

more like nioh thank you i'm good!!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Should've just made Baiken, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I thought about it and remembered that Bamco are developing their own souls game (code vein) so maybe that's why they aren't publishing for From anymore