Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

I'll unfortunately be moving kinda slowly but I intend to move to J4 and attack whatever I can. Hopefully that's the boss.

That's actually the only hex I can safely attack the elite archer from. Could you move to the another hex adjacent to the boss instead? Maybe K3?

Otherwise I could conceivably attack the normal archer then sweep through the elite but I was planning on ignoring the normal archer until after the boss was down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

They'll probably stand there and bump into each other while melting for a while.

It's unfortunate that n.4 is in the back instead of in the front, as creatures with movement1 can become totally stuck in a doorway if the "fastest" (elites or lower standee numbers) are in the back. It'll still take a moment for them to shamble out of room (a), unless someone tries and plug the door with a bodyblock - with all the risks attached.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 9, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's actually the only hex I can safely attack the elite archer from. Could you move to the another hex adjacent to the boss instead? Maybe K3?

Otherwise I could conceivably attack the normal archer then sweep through the elite but I was planning on ignoring the normal archer until after the boss was down.

Yeah, I can stand in K3.

EDIT: K3 puts me in a much weaker position and leaves you much more exposed to the archers, though. K3 runs a much higher risk of me being blocked off from the rest of the room and you landing in J4 means you'll be closest to both archers and any skeletons the boss decides to make. Maybe you can shiv the boss and I can attempt to take out the archer? It would require a fair amount of luck for me to kill it but I should be able to hurt it pretty badly and then force it into the trap on the next turn.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 9, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:munch: I don't think Corpse 1 would move to A1, because that makes its route out of the room take an extra hex.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Some Numbers posted:

:munch: I don't think Corpse 1 would move to A1, because that makes its route out of the room take an extra hex.

What do you mean? Both A1 and B2 are the same distance from its focus, isn't that the only thing monster AI cares about? (I was under the impression that monsters do not consider future round movements when choosing a destination).

The overall positioning would be better for the players though, as 1 would end up in B2(a), 2 would end up in D2(a) and 4 would be in C1, like this:

Both placement look valid to me regarding distance to the focused enemy, but I can change it according to the active player's preference, since it would be up to them to decide in case there are 2 valid hexes for a monster to move into.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 9, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

They don't take future rounds into account, but they also take the shortest route possible, ignoring everything else.

So, if there's a 5 hex route and a 6 hex route, they'll always take the 5 hex route.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

They don't take future rounds into account, but they also take the shortest route possible, ignoring everything else.

So, if there's a 5 hex route and a 6 hex route, they'll always take the 5 hex route.

Sure but...Living Corpse1's shortest route to Rocky seems to be the same lenght no matter if it is in A1 or B2? Where should it move to have a shorter path?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You're right, I miscounted.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

You're right, I miscounted.

No worries, GH normal play is insular enough that I was genuinely wondering if I had misunderstood some AI rules on a fundamental level (which is probably going to be revealed to be the case in the LP, given enough time).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

On the other hand, when their are multiple legal endpoints for a monster's movement, the players do get to decide where the monster goes.

So Corpse 1 blocking the doorway might be what the team wants?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's got to be some delegation or this won't work.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

There's got to be some delegation or this won't work.

Well, I normally put the monsters in the position more advantageous to the players, but, like in this case, if I miss something I can retroactively fix the position - especially if it had no bearing on the round that just ended. The 2step system should be better for this, as the players don't have to commit to final orders until step B.

I'll notify the active players and change the monster position to this, since it's clearly more advantageous for them:

EDIT: I will doublecheck this kind of things more accurately to avoid it from happening with any frequency in the future.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 9, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You know what? If I jump to K4 and don't kill that archer (which is likely) I'm going to get rekt the following turn.

I think instead I might jump over to the normal archer and sweep across. That way the elite archer won't focus me and I can box it in for an easier fight later.

Rocky what's your plan? Can you move far enough to chuck a couple rocks at things? That would really help me plan my turn.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Rocky what's your plan? Can you move far enough to chuck a couple rocks at things? That would really help me plan my turn.

Yes, I can stand in the center of the room and throw two rocks, but it'll be fairly late unfortunately. I've got boots and a lot of move, so I can stand basically anywhere.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, so am I good to move to my originally planned tile (J4, adjacent to the current position of both the boss and the elite archer) then?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

OK, so am I good to move to my originally planned tile (J4, adjacent to the current position of both the boss and the elite archer) then?

If that's the hex that will optimize your next turn then yes. I will jump next to the normal archer and see if I can kill it.

I will be going late as well to maximize invisibility and to see if Rocky can soften up the archers before trying to make a killing stab on the normal one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'll be going as early as I can but that isn't very early. At least the archers are unlikely to move out of the way so I should have at least one target. I'm really hoping I can get some damage in on the boss.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

xiw posted:

oh my god, we've been playing a year and we have been drawing the card after finishing the door-opening turn so you gotta decide where to stand before you see what the monsters do

I admit that I had to go double-check the rules to make sure that we hadn't been playing that wrong for nearly a year.

If the boss goes late or doesn't move at all, he'll body-check the corpses for at least one turn. Don't overvalue killing both archers as the regular one doesn't inflict much damage at this level, though it's probably not worth trying to keep them alive so that they can clog up the room with more traps. Note that the trap in H4 means that the corpses, when they do clear that room, can move one corpse down the K3-J2-I1 path and then have to go all the way around the room if that corpse gets blocked; you can decide either to kite all the corpses by moving back and allowing them all to line up along that route, or you can deliberately block one for a turn or two and force the others to separate out. (This tactic is a little less effective in that the corpses sometimes don't move at all.) The big lesson of scenario 2, besides the Boss and summoning mechanics and another rule that's been mentioned in spoilers already, is how to use the monster movement and focus rules to manipulate how the monsters go and limit your exposure to attack. Any character with jump movement is especially effective in that way, though the Mindthief's high mobility can accomplish much the same.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That is absolutely part of the plan once the boss is down. :)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, my card picks are in. I'm going middle of the pack and plan to jump to J4 and deal a fairly hefty amount of damage to whatever I can.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Alright, my card picks are in. I'm going middle of the pack and plan to jump to J4 and deal a fairly hefty amount of damage to whatever I can.

You're probably going first out of the 3 of us :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I have not received turn 3A orders from archduke.iago. Reached out to them, I'll update as soon as I'll get a response!

Edit: got them, update to follow!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 10, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Barrow Lair, Update 3A
As per the discussion itt, there were two valid hex destination for Living Corpse 1's MOVE2 action; when that happens in normal play, the players can decide which location to end the movement in for the monster. I have now rectified the position for the Living Corpses - since moving n.1 to B2(a) instead of A1(a) has a domino effect on all of them. This is what the situation looks like now:

ROUND REVEAL

In the parlance of our time...poo poo is going down.
- All three monster groups have drawn a "shuffle" card - usually more powerful or "unique" than regular ones - with the Boss drawing its SPECIAL 1 twice in a row.
- Rocky Someone is going to get turned into a pincushion by the Archers.
- The consolation prize: Living Corpses's ability card is quite weak, and they are going to be jammed into their current room for the time being, since they won't be able to get anywhere due to their MOVE1.

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there.

Bullwinkle (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 54 with Balanced Measures and Leaping Cleave.

54. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

code:
"BALANCED MEASURES (77) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK* where * is the number of hexes you have moved so far this turn - XP1
BOT: MOVE* where * is the amount of damage you have inflicted so far this turn"

"LEAPING CLEAVE (54) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: MOVE3, Jump - Generate AIR"
Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 79 with Feedback Loop and Frigid Apparition.

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

code:
"FEEDBACK LOOP (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round) - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: MOVE4 - Jump - If you end the movement in the same hex you started in, perform MUDDLE (Target all enemies moved through)."

"FRIGID APPARITION (29) [LvlX]
TOP: ATK3 - Consume ICE: STUN, XP1
BOT: MOVE4 - STUN (Target one adjacent enemy) - XP1"
Rocky (Hand7, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 87 with Massive Boulder and Crater.

87. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

code:
"MASSIVE BOULDER (87) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - All allies and enemies adjacent to the target suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH.
BOT: Move4"

"CRATER (61) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - Consume EARTH: PUSH2, XP1
BOT: All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage - MOVE4, Jump - XP1 - All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage, Consume EARTH: suffer 2 damage instead, XP1 - LOSS"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email! DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST :getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 10, 2019

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I recommend from this point onwards only using your boots of striding to deal damage to the boss. Boots of striding are pretty key to this scenario, imo. Although with the boss dipping back to rear corner of the room, you might want to focus on the archers, and just hope the boss quickly rotates back towards you. Either or. Or both.

namad fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 10, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK good, the boss is at least moving after me even if he is releasing more enemies. I'll be able to attack the boss at least, though he's going to run away from me afterwards. I'll have the attention of both archers, and the elite will even be attacking me at disadvantage. I'd rather the boss not be opening the next door already but that's just how this scenario goes most times.

EDIT: Actually I'm kind of debating whether or not to just hit the elite archer. I'll be hitting for 5 base, and assuming I don't draw a null or -2 and can act before the archers next turn I'll be able to push it into the trap and kill it. And since the boss is already opening room 2 this turn, there's not really much more harm he can do with those other than just running away from people trying to hit him.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 10, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

OK good, the boss is at least moving after me even if he is releasing more enemies. I'll be able to attack the boss at least, though he's going to run away from me afterwards. I'll have the attention of both archers, and the elite will even be attacking me at disadvantage. I'd rather the boss not be opening the next door already but that's just how this scenario goes most times.

EDIT: Actually I'm kind of debating whether or not to just hit the elite archer. I'll be hitting for 5 base, and assuming I don't draw a null or -2 and can act before the archers next turn I'll be able to push it into the trap and kill it. And since the boss is already opening room 2 this turn, there's not really much more harm he can do with those other than just running away from people trying to hit him.

I'll take care of the archers. Please focus on the boss.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, will do.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

I'm having trouble finding a place to stand that's in range of door B at the moment without using the move 4/jump/loss, is that worth a base hit of 3 on the boss?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

archduke.iago posted:

I'm having trouble finding a place to stand that's in range of door B at the moment without using the move 4/jump/loss, is that worth a base hit of 3 on the boss?

I think so but it's your call. Once the archers are down I plan to burn a few loss cards to maximize damage on the boss. I had forgotten how many really powerful loss cards the Mindthief has at level 1.

I'm gonna jump over the trap and hopefully insta-kill the normal archer. Anything +0 or better will work. If not I'll keep stabbing until it's dead then chainsaw my way to the elite and then help you with the boss.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

If you're planning to use the bottom of Crater to be in range of the boss, that's going to require me to move to K3 instead of J4, which means the elite archer actually will not be attacking me at disadvantage and I'll be taking friendly fire damage from Crater. That could be rather painful or it could be no big deal, it depends on how badly the elite archer draws on its first card.

It's not a deal-breaker, just something to be aware of. One of my jobs is to take damage and I do have Warding Strength up so I'll be OK for now.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 10, 2019

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Zurai posted:

If you're planning to use the bottom of Crater to be in range of the boss, that's going to require me to move to K3 instead of J4, which means the elite archer actually will not be attacking me at disadvantage and I'll be taking friendly fire damage from Crater. That could be rather painful or it could be no big deal, it depends on how badly the elite archer draws on its first card.

I was planning to use the boots as well to shoot from F6, one rock at the boss, one at whichever archer is most appropriate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, that's much better. I forgot you have boots too. Yeah, that sounds good. You shouldn't need to move much for the rest of the scenario unless the zombies start to get close to you.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

archduke.iago posted:

I was planning to use the boots as well to shoot from F6, one rock at the boss, one at whichever archer is most appropriate.

Soften up the elite archer. Hopefully the non-elite archer goes down quick if I don't get a string of bad RNG.

I'm planning on using my stamina potion to bring back the cards I used this turn. I intend to use them to finish off the elite archer as soon as the non-elite is down.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

By the way, That Italian Guy, I just went back through and checked (slow afternoon at work, so sue me) and it doesn't appear that Bullwinkle got the Scenario Completion experience for Scenario 1. He earned 7 XP from actions taken and 2 XP for 4 uses of Warding Strength, and his character sheet is showing him at 9 XP.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

By the way, That Italian Guy, I just went back through and checked (slow afternoon at work, so sue me) and it doesn't appear that Bullwinkle got the Scenario Completion experience for Scenario 1. He earned 7 XP from actions taken and 2 XP for 4 uses of Warding Strength, and his character sheet is showing him at 9 XP.

Mmm I only have 5xp for Bullwinkle at the end of Scenario1? (Rocky should be at 6 here due to an incorrect calculation of an XP trigger on his second active effect).

The Warding Strenght triggers were counted during the scenario itself. If I've missed any XP, though, that should be fixed :)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You're gonna make me run through it again? Phbbbbbbt. ;)

Turn 1: plays Leaping Cleave top and uses the attack, earns 1 XP. Total 1 XP.
Turn 2: no XP gained. Total 1 XP.
Turn 3: plays Balanced Measure top and uses the attack, earns 1 XP. Total 2 XP.
Turn 4: plays Warding Strength bottom. Warding Strength triggers 1 and 2, earns 1 XP. Total 3 XP.
Turn 5: plays Trample bottom and uses it, earns 2 XP. plays Skewer top and uses it, earns 1 XP. Warding Strength triggers 3 and 4, earns 1 XP. Total 7 XP.
Turn 6: no XP gained. Total 7 XP.
Turn 7: plays Skewer bottom and uses it, earns 1 XP. plays Balanced Measure top and uses it, earns 1 XP. Total 9 XP.
Turns 8-final: no XP gained. Total 9 XP.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zurai posted:

You're gonna make me run through it again? Phbbbbbbt. ;)

Turn 1: plays Leaping Cleave top and uses the attack, earns 1 XP. Total 1 XP.
Turn 2: no XP gained. Total 1 XP.
Turn 3: plays Balanced Measure top and uses the attack, earns 1 XP. Total 2 XP.
Turn 4: plays Warding Strength bottom. Warding Strength triggers 1 and 2, earns 1 XP. Total 3 XP.
Turn 5: plays Trample bottom and uses it, earns 2 XP. plays Skewer top and uses it, earns 1 XP. Warding Strength triggers 3 and 4, earns 1 XP. Total 7 XP.
Turn 6: no XP gained. Total 7 XP.
Turn 7: plays Skewer bottom and uses it, earns 1 XP. plays Balanced Measure top and uses it, earns 1 XP. Total 9 XP.
Turns 8-final: no XP gained. Total 9 XP.

Ah crap I didn't realize you had already counted them! I thought it was a more generic "I think it's a bit low". Sorry! I'll add 2XP to Bullwinkle in the next uodate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

No worries, like I said it's a slow day at work today. It gave me something to do :) It caught my eye when the Brute had the least XP in the party since in my home game our Brute is almost a full level ahead of the next character. Brute is really good at earning XP.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That makes me feel good because I'm notoriously bad about tracking / earning XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Personally I wouldn't lose a card (and your boots, which are probably going to be used once this mission total) to be able to attack the boss near door B on the following turn, because either he'll stay there long enough you can just attack him the turn after that (2 turns from now) without blowing a lose card. Or he'll move to door C instantly (25-33% chance I forget which) in which case you'll want to consider using those same resources to reach door C. At least not for a hit of only 3 damage. I could be wrong though. The last time I fought him we had a totally different team makeup than this one.

namad fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 10, 2019