Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MunchE posted:

Uhhh do you think Listerine is a soft drink?

Is it not? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

Is it not? :ohdear:

Does it Sodastream?

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Chicken is the worst blandest poultry, even turkey tastes better.

Had to quote because this is extremely my poo poo

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Chicken and waffles is very much a soul food and soul food-adjacent dish, meaning a product of African-American cuisine. For goons to have never heard of it and think it strange is... hardly surprising. Try it! It's really good!

bike tory posted:

Americans drink loving toothpaste/medicine flavoured soft drinks.

The most generous interpretation of this is that you're thinking of something like Dr Pepper, which does have an odd taste to many people. The more likely one is that ya taste buds broke.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It feels like they've never been to America and are repeating something they've heard from friends second hand. It's like when people talk about going to Asia and describe some street food horror as a "delicacy" or something

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I heard americans have syrup in their soda? And in their candy? And in their bread? And that their country is run by corn conglomerates

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Jenkum and Waffles

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

everyone acts like they dont shovel sugary starchy poo poo into their faces all the time

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It feels like they've never been to America and are repeating something they've heard from friends second hand. It's like when people talk about going to Asia and describe some street food horror as a "delicacy" or something

Some of us are also filthy northerners that don't venture south very often. Or at all, really. I for one react very badly to hot weather so I stay in not hot places such as, you know, the north. Here you can find soul food if you look for it but it isn't really all that popular even among the black people in the area far as I can tell. I have no idea where you'd go to get fried okra or chicken and waffles here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

A buddy asked me what I know about chungus

Post your best, I need to show em wats up

Show him JIm Sterling's videos, where Chungus originated from.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CaptainViolence posted:

:lol: wtf drink is this? i don't think i've ever heard of any mint-flavoured soft drinks, just poo poo like peppermint schnapps and even then only around the winter holidays when there's all kinds of silly seasonal flavors and only when there's booze or coffee (or both) involved

I don't know about menthol but many root beers are flavored in part (or in most) with oil of wintergreen, which is p. fuckin' minty

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Phy posted:

I don't know about menthol but many root beers are flavored in part (or in most) with oil of wintergreen, which is p. fuckin' minty

oh, that makes sense. i guess i never thought of it as having any sort of minty taste, but i also haven't had it in years so maybe i just don't remember. i guess maybe ginger beer falls into that category, too?

mostly i thought maybe there was some straight-up menthol flavored soda that i didn't know about, but google only gives me one from 2012 that looks like the company went under (presumably because nobody wanted alcohol-free listerine)

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I heard americans have syrup in their soda? And in their candy? And in their bread? And that their country is run by corn conglomerates

This is basically correct. Corn syrup is in an amazing amount of things here because corn is how the rich turns the midwest from farmland that produces food into property that produces a commodity. That's ignoring the stupendous amount of subsidies that corn receives, but that's about rich people subverting government to give themselves money, not about corn in particular.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GladRagKraken posted:

This is basically correct. Corn syrup is in an amazing amount of things here because corn is how the rich turns the midwest from farmland that produces food into property that produces a commodity. That's ignoring the stupendous amount of subsidies that corn receives, but that's about rich people subverting government to give themselves money, not about corn in particular.

Corn gets very unique subsidies thanks to the Nixon administration. Believe it or not but growing corn isn't profitable. At all. Corn is insanely cheap.

The motivation was that Nixon wanted to get more influence for America in the Cold War so he got a subsidy in effect for planting corn. Notice that it's only corn and only for planting; the profit is in the planting so it doesn't even really matter if the land is good for it or not. This is also why more and more corn gets planted every year. So of course nobody gives a single poo poo about how much you actually get for selling it. Just kind of plant a gently caress load of corn every year because that's what you get paid for. Oh wait, corn needs a lot of nitrates! Well we'll just spray ammonia all over everything I'm sure that won't run off the land and cause any problems.

The end result was that a thoroughly absurd amount of insanely cheap corn started hitting the market and the big food companies started finding new poo poo to do with it. This is entirely the reason corn is in everything and corn-fed factory farming is a huge deal. Corn is just ridiculously cheap as you get paid for planting it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Corn gets very unique subsidies thanks to the Nixon administration. Believe it or not but growing corn isn't profitable. At all. Corn is insanely cheap.

The motivation was that Nixon wanted to get more influence for America in the Cold War so he got a subsidy in effect for planting corn. Notice that it's only corn and only for planting; the profit is in the planting so it doesn't even really matter if the land is good for it or not. This is also why more and more corn gets planted every year. So of course nobody gives a single poo poo about how much you actually get for selling it. Just kind of plant a gently caress load of corn every year because that's what you get paid for. Oh wait, corn needs a lot of nitrates! Well we'll just spray ammonia all over everything I'm sure that won't run off the land and cause any problems.

The end result was that a thoroughly absurd amount of insanely cheap corn started hitting the market and the big food companies started finding new poo poo to do with it. This is entirely the reason corn is in everything and corn-fed factory farming is a huge deal. Corn is just ridiculously cheap as you get paid for planting it.

is there anything at all good nixon ever did? even opening china and stoping vietnam were probably some how bad.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

he died in obscurity, but he should have died in prison so that ones a wash

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shnag posted:

Also, sloppy joe on mashed pototes, the ground beef in a gravy. I mean there's sheperards pie, it's not too different from that.

What the gently caress are you talking about? Sloppy joe is ground beef in a tomato sauce on a bun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

CaptainViolence posted:

oh, that makes sense. i guess i never thought of it as having any sort of minty taste, but i also haven't had it in years so maybe i just don't remember. i guess maybe ginger beer falls into that category, too?

mostly i thought maybe there was some straight-up menthol flavored soda that i didn't know about, but google only gives me one from 2012 that looks like the company went under (presumably because nobody wanted alcohol-free listerine)

Yeah the main taste in root beer is wintergreen. There are other things too usually, like vanilla and cinnamon, but wintergreen is dominant. I think the brown color throws people off; if it were green, more people would notice.

And it's definitely a USA thing. In college I tried to get the argentinean exchange student I had a crush on to try it, happily explaining the taste as "in fact it's mint-flavored! you don't really notice it that way, but that's what it is!" and she was totally repulsed by the idea.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A whole bunch of great stuff, but also: Believe it or not but growing corn isn't profitable. At all.

Unlikely to be profitable unless you do it at scale, and likely not as profitable as a reasonable use of the acreage, but there's a multibillion dollar industry devoted to improving corn yields. Nobody would bother paying for herbicide resistant corn if it was cheaper to just scatter a couple kernels, collect subsidies, and call it a day.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's tons of profit in corn, just not in growing it.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah the main taste in root beer is wintergreen. There are other things too usually, like vanilla and cinnamon, but wintergreen is dominant. I think the brown color throws people off; if it were green, more people would notice.

And it's definitely a USA thing. In college I tried to get the argentinean exchange student I had a crush on to try it, happily explaining the taste as "in fact it's mint-flavored! you don't really notice it that way, but that's what it is!" and she was totally repulsed by the idea.

huh. learn something new every day. maybe i'll buy some on the way home from work

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some of us are also filthy northerners that don't venture south very often. Or at all, really. I for one react very badly to hot weather so I stay in not hot places such as, you know, the north. Here you can find soul food if you look for it but it isn't really all that popular even among the black people in the area far as I can tell. I have no idea where you'd go to get fried okra or chicken and waffles here.

Chicken and waffles was invented, or at least popularized, in Harlem, stop dumbposting

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Chicken and waffles was invented, or at least popularized, in Harlem, stop dumbposting

It isn't dumbposting if I legitimately didn't know that.

Granted if it was invented in the south but popularized in Harlem then it came from the south.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

fuckin amazing

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

snergle posted:

is there anything at all good nixon ever did? even opening china and stoping vietnam were probably some how bad.

Stopping Vietnam in the way it was done was probably somewhat bad, but at some point you have to cut the cord. And China is China. But the corn thing is not as dumb as it seems now.

Corn is something like the most calorically dense food you can make for the work you invest in it. If you have a big country and the need for food security then corn is a pretty safe bet. And Nixon is not the only one to think so. Nikita Khrushchev tried so drat hard to get corn to take in the USSR. You can find a bajillion kooky pictures of him with corn. Of course it didn't take though.

Maybe it will though with climate change. Incidentally, we better hope we can grow it just as well in Minnesota and the Dakotas as we do now in Iowa and Nebraska.

Eh, maybe just one

twerking on the railroad has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Jan 11, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't dumbposting if I legitimately didn't know that.

Granted if it was invented in the south but popularized in Harlem then it came from the south.

Yankees and carpetbaggers like to pretend they came up with poo poo that came from south because it's the closest thing America has to an actual culture

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah the main taste in root beer is wintergreen.

I drink lots of root beer (it's caffine-free) and smoked lots of menthol and chew wintergreen gum and you are absolutely full of horseshit.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's a slight mint taste but you have to have a real hosed up set of taste buds to think that root beer is mint flavor.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I just dont like pineapples. why do i gotta explain why it being on pizza is poo poo.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
" What do you mean "UGH!"? I DONT LIKE SPAM PINEAPPLES!:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, this wrong. The main flavor in root beer is sassafras. Commercial root beers (A&W, Barq's, Mug, etc) don't use the real stuff cause its a bit carcinogenic, but they'll use artificial flavors that taste the same. Some root beers will add other flavors like vanilla, licorice, anise, etc, and a few use wintergreen as well, but not many. You got broken taste buds son.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BluJay posted:

Yeah, this wrong. The main flavor in root beer is sassafras. Commercial root beers (A&W, Barq's, Mug, etc) don't use the real stuff cause its a bit carcinogenic, but they'll use artificial flavors that taste the same. Some root beers will add other flavors like vanilla, licorice, anise, etc, and a few use wintergreen as well, but not many. You got broken taste buds son.

Wrong again. The main flavour is actually root, hence its name.