Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

eke out posted:

can someone remind me where they lay out why angels are so insanely attached to the notion of being male? it's just because someone in charge said they were male and they're law robots who fetishize order right (and they're the opposite of devils that have quite fluid gender)

It's not that they care about the idea of being male, it's that they (claim to) eschew the idea of gender altogether - but then insist on using male as the default instead of a gender-neutral term. Whether it's consciously or not, they do it for the same reason any real-world culture does it - women are thought of as being lesser than men.

But clearly angels are more human than they like to admit, as some like White Chain (and Delicious, probably) who have spent time in the world have identified more with femininity. It's funny how among humans she insists she adheres to the old ways, but among angels she will argue for change. Clearly she has a lot to work through and wants to still have pride in her brethren, but isn't sure how to do that without compromising the things she's feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I would say it's due to the Cold White Flame they're made from comes from the god Un, who is "the master of empty and still places" and was explicitly male (and the origin of maleness as defined by division from Yis's femaleness, which was united in Yisun). From there, angels implicitly assumed they inherited his maleness, and then proceeded to never ask questions of their assumptions, so they treat male as default and default as correct.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Precambrian posted:

I would say it's due to the Cold White Flame they're made from comes from the god Un, who is "the master of empty and still places" and was explicitly male (and the origin of maleness as defined by division from Yis's femaleness, which was united in Yisun). From there, angels implicitly assumed they inherited his maleness, and then proceeded to never ask questions of their assumptions, so they treat male as default and default as correct.

Funny how devils don't seem to have this issue (that we've seen yet), although I notice that many blue imps seem to default to female. I would guess that their gender is more fluid as they have many rebirths in their lives when "leveling up" through the devil colors.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SardonicTyrant posted:

413 You Were Warned About Stairs.

:sbahj:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
410,757,864,530 DEAD COP

"He doesn't really die in defense of the city as much as he just... dies."

"We don't even say his name in case it'll make him fall over on the spot."

"It seems superstitious but it happens so often that it's hard to tell if there's an actual link."

"deadcopdeadcopdeadcopdeadcopdeadc- OH poo poo THERE HE GOES"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Funny how devils don't seem to have this issue (that we've seen yet), although I notice that many blue imps seem to default to female. I would guess that their gender is more fluid as they have many rebirths in their lives when "leveling up" through the devil colors.

Blues tend to be female and reds tend to be male, but it seems to vary some still. I suspect some like cio are solidly one gender while most are more fluid.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
I think I found our new friend here

http://killsixbilliondemons.wikia.com/wiki/25_Vengeful_Iron_Suffers_No_Heretics_or_Fools_to_Live

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

can someone remind me where they lay out why angels are so insanely attached to the notion of being male? it's just because someone in charge said they were male and they're law robots who fetishize order right (and they're the opposite of devils that have quite fluid gender)

There's probably some part of the law that says all angels must act as brothers and so they reject the possibility of there being sisters.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

There's probably some part of the law that says all angels must act as brothers and so they reject the possibility of there being sisters.

This and it probably would have made a lot more sense when all the angels were skyscraper sized battle bots rather than walking suits of armor crafted by humans.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cool, I thought I recognised him from somewhere.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

eke out posted:

they eschew gender, but calling them he is slightly less inapplicable than calling them she

and, as creatures of pure order, over the ages 'slightly less wrong' has a way of shifting into 'only acceptable form of address.' as white chain memorably commented shortly before tearing off her face: their flesh is the flame immortal! they do not beget! what does it matter that she feels a little feminine?

respond the angel chorus: "that's weird you're weird better stay in the void a few hundred years to work this out of your system"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and, as creatures of pure order, over the ages 'slightly less wrong' has a way of shifting into 'only acceptable form of address.' as white chain memorably commented shortly before tearing off her face: their flesh is the flame immortal! they do not beget! what does it matter that she feels a little feminine?
Well there's your problem right there. Blue balls for more than one kalpa isn't healthy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

they eschew gender, but calling them he is slightly less inapplicable than calling them she

respond the angel chorus: "that's weird you're weird better stay in the void a few hundred years to work this out of your system"

Yeah, there you have it right there.

ANGELS: Insipid gender! We shall call each other brother.

WHITE CHAIN: How about "sister" if you don't care

ANGELS: What ever are you talking about, brother? Brother, we'd never say sister, as gender is for dumb butts, brother. It is a human concept, my good man, and we'd never deign to their level, dudebro.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
God, I love this comic's worldbuilding. Unhealthy gender dynamics for angels whose system of gender is entirely separate from the human kind are so good.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Unhealthy for sure. Just look at the way White Chain refers to Petal Knights: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/seeker-of-thrones-7-80/

"Monster." "Deviant." "Abandoned your true nature."

White Chain really is someone stuck between three worlds - she likely is jealous of the Petal Knights who have embraced their humanity... But is also jealous of the Thorn Knights that have fully embraced their ideology. And she's trying to live up to the long-lost ideals of her own Concordant Knights, but is increasingly finding it hard to do without being pulled towards one of the other two.

Me, I'm hoping she finds her own, new way. That seems to be one of the themes of this comic after all.

(God I loving love this comic. Can you tell?)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what qualities angel blood has

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
82 White Chain Born In Emptiness Returns To Subdue The Patriachy

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Very hot, white, made of fire?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tenebrais posted:

Very hot, white, made of fire?
dont doxx me

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Tenebrais posted:

Very hot, white, made of nuclear fire?

Fixed, and now you're doxxing ME.

e: or I'm doxxing myself, I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

1) it makes people post about it for pages and pages, and 2) tastes of liquorice

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Powerful aunts isn't just K6BD's thing https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1083453302774398978?s=09

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did we miss this one?

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1083146823852875776

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Hey look it's Ingsvld's descendant.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Devils are defined by, among other things, their fluidity and distain for norms. Concordance Angels are defined by their inflexibility and dedication to an ordered universe. It's not really had to figure out how, having been wrought from the "masculine" division of divinity, they identified as male and don't appreciate folks who rock the boat on this or any other topic.

Poltergrift posted:

God, I love this comic's worldbuilding. Unhealthy gender dynamics for angels whose system of gender is entirely separate from the human kind are so good.
I'm not really sure to what extent you can define something as psychologically unhealthy for a society of beings of pure order who live and die in an infinite cosmic cycle.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 10, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Devils are defined by, among other things, their fluidity and distain for norms. Concordance Angels are defined by their inflexibility and dedication to an ordered universe. It's not really had to figure out how, having been wrought from the "masculine" division of divinity, they identified as male and don't appreciate folks who rock the boat on this or any other topic.

And yet look at Cio's whole arc in the Devil council. None of them think she can change. They may not have as many hangups about gender, but in their own way, they're as dogmatic as angels.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really sure to what extent you can define something as psychologically unhealthy for a society of beings of pure order who live and die in an infinite cosmic cycle.

Except that's a huge theme in this comic - that beings like Cio and White Chain do indeed have feelings and personality outside the supposed norm. Cio can be a good person and change despite her creation and history, and White Chain can be her own person and find happiness despite her creation and heritage.

They may have been created from pure chaos and order, but who says that needs to control their destiny? They're as sentient as humans. Hell, they were CREATED by humans - the masks and armor were, anyway. Of COURSE they'll come out being just as varied psychologically as humans.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 10, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Except it's super clear that, in the context of their species and societies, White Chain and Cio are the unhealthy ones. If you examine it from the lens of early 21st century western society, then White Chain and Cio are healthy, non-conforming individuals who need acceptance, but the Angels and Devils don't see it that way.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I donno, White Chain sure seems like she could be healthier to me.

Not to mention the nothing matters of Michael,the almost Stockholm syndrome of Metatron, or the omnicidalness, and if the brief look of a very feminine and human face is anything to go by self hating, Juggernaut.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except it's super clear that, in the context of their species and societies, White Chain and Cio are the unhealthy ones. If you examine it from the lens of early 21st century western society, then White Chain and Cio are healthy, non-conforming individuals who need acceptance, but the Angels and Devils don't see it that way.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Well, except that I wouldn't call either particularly healthy, psychologically, but like LGBT people in our society, that's likely caused by, well, living in a society that tells them their existence is wrong. That would (and does) gently caress anyone up in the head.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And yet look at Cio's whole arc in the Devil council. None of them think she can change. They may not have as many hangups about gender, but in their own way, they're as dogmatic as angels.

Except that's a huge theme in this comic - that beings like Cio and White Chain do indeed have feelings and personality outside the supposed norm. Cio can be a good person and change despite her creation and history, and White Chain can be her own person and find happiness despite her creation and heritage.

They may have been created from pure chaos and order, but who says that needs to control their destiny? They're as sentient as humans. Hell, they were CREATED by humans - the masks and armor were, anyway. Of COURSE they'll come out being just as varied psychologically as humans.

To quote the man himself, Zoss: "Fate is not a cage except to those who fear it"

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, sure, but angel standards also claim that Thorn Knight armor practices, best described as "perpetual self-mutilation via stuffing yourself into an iron maiden and then just kind of living there for a while," are more virtuous, and more indicative of a functional mindset, than being a concordant knight who wants to be called something other than "brother." Cultural relativism, sure, but "their society thinks it's fine, so it's fine" only goes so far.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd have to scour the comic to see if Juggernaut Star ever calls anyone "brother", but I think at this point Thorn Knights are beyond caring about gender when they want to wipe literally all life out. In a way it's refreshing - they hate White Chain because she is, not because she is a she!

Edit: I'm probably wrong because Juggernaut Star calls her "deviant" a lot tho.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 10, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Well, except that I wouldn't call either particularly healthy, psychologically, but like LGBT people in our society, that's likely caused by, well, living in a society that tells them their existence is wrong. That would (and does) gently caress anyone up in the head.
Concepts like "normal" and "healthy" aren't absolutes, they're inextricably tied to societal context. For most of us, being constantly on alert and regularly thinking about shooting people would be considered highly abnormal and unhealthy, but if you're in a Marine platoon in Iraq ca. 2003, that's probably a normal part of your day-to-day. That same behavior becomes malign if you bring it back to white collar office culture in the USA.

The position that someone who identifies as a gender that doesn't match their biological sex can be considered normal and healthy has only recently started to gain mainstream traction here, on earth, and you're trying to apply it to impossibly ancient, immortal, sexless warrior-monks made of atomic fire.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

An alien intelligence having the exact same psychological hang-ups as humans would be extremely boring.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 10, 2019

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
The first words that Juggernaut says to White Chain are "Hello, deviant."

For context, this immediately follows the page where White Chain asks what does it matter if she feels feminine.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I like to imagine that 6 Juggernaut Star greets everyone that way, an angelic equivalent of "'Sup, fuckers?"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

The position that someone who identifies as a gender that doesn't match their biological sex can be considered normal and healthy has only recently started to gain mainstream traction here, on earth, and you're trying to apply it to impossibly ancient, immortal, sexless warrior-monks made of atomic fire.

... But that's exactly what this comic is doing? I'm not really sure what you're saying here.

Dead Reckoning posted:

An alien intelligence having the exact same psychological hang-ups as humans would be extremely boring.

No, it'd be relatable. See: all of Star Trek. Spock isn't beloved because he's emotionless - it's because he's struggling with accepting his (very human) emotions.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gay and so is white chain

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Poltergrift posted:

Well, sure, but angel standards also claim that Thorn Knight armor practices, best described as "perpetual self-mutilation via stuffing yourself into an iron maiden and then just kind of living there for a while," are more virtuous, and more indicative of a functional mindset, than being a concordant knight who wants to be called something other than "brother." Cultural relativism, sure, but "their society thinks it's fine, so it's fine" only goes so far.

It doesn't physically hinder them in any way and it's not clear that angels feel pain, at all, so you're basically tsking at their equivalent of sick rear end gang tattoos, grandma

For a society of shapeshifting cops changing your look to scare the crap out of criminals (everyone) and show allegiance to the ingroup makes perfect sense. Changing to something nonstandard just because you feel it reflects who you are on the inside is a show of individualism and deviant loyalties, it's way more threatening than having a spike for a head.

Dead Reckoning posted:

in fiction they basically always do, unless it's for a punchline or one of those doofy sci-fi novels where everything comes down to a lengthy dissertation on :biotruths:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 11, 2019

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It doesn't physically hinder them in any way and it's not clear that angels feel pain, at all, so you're basically tsking at their equivalent of sick rear end gang tattoos, grandma

They rip off their wings. Seems like that would hinder them a little -- in the void, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Wings are the appendix of Angel anatomy.