Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El_Elegante posted:

if you have so little self-restraint that you have to unperson Stymie, you should go walk the Cursed Earth

something something nerds attempting to use technology to solve their lack of social skill

FMguru posted:

non-smart tvs exist, theyre just more expensive than smart ones (because, like with low-end windows machines, their entire margin is made up on preloading apps and monitoring features)

what? i got my "hisense" 40 inch hdtv for $160 off amazon/woot and it doesnt offer any apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

my coworker was talking the other day about how happy he was that after getting two more for christmas he finally had a google assistant speaker thing in every room of his house :whitewater:

other than music what is the actual real world use case for a smart speaker

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plank Walker posted:

other than music what is the actual real world use case for a smart speaker
1) being able to set timers in the kitchen hands-free
2) thats it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

1) being able to set timers in the kitchen hands-free
2) thats it

this was my experience

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah same. and hacking it to make it say dumb video game memes. it's not even plugged in any more

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

i've never earned a bonus in my life

i got $1000 in 2004 and that was the only one

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

non-smart tvs exist, theyre just more expensive than smart ones (because, like with low-end windows machines, their entire margin is made up on preloading apps and monitoring features)

Are there actually any dumb TVs with 4k / HDR / HFR? I've been trying to find a replacement for my ancient screen and the closest I've been able to find is this sketchy Korean monitor that happens to have a TV tuner
https://www.newegg.com/products/9SIA2RY50E5294

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

So look, it’s not just about data collection. It’s about post-purchase monetization of the TV.

This is a cutthroat industry. It’s a 6-percent margin industry, right? I mean, you know it’s pretty ruthless. You could say it’s self-inflicted, or you could say there’s a greater strategy going on here, and there is. The greater strategy is I really don’t need to make money off of the TV. I need to cover my cost.

And then I need to make money off those TVs. They live in households for 6.9 years — the average lifetime of a Vizio TV is 6.9 years. You would probably be amazed at the number of people come up to me saying, “I love Vizio TVs, I have one” and it’s 11 years old. I’m like, “Dude, that’s not even full HD, that’s 720p.”

i don't need to make money off the TV, i just need to make money off the TV in significantly worse ways

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all private sector jobs are a scam

hoverwife's startin her public sector gig in 6 months and i'm lookin to jump ship for that sweet sweet state union position by next year because their pay structure is way way better even if you ignore the pension (and better insurance and better holidays/PTO time), and i get ~5% raises and around $5k in quarterly bonuses each year

dehumanize and join the mic

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If you opt it in and then we can translate that into better serving you in many different ways. And so there are real benefits. And so you won’t see us shying away from trying to continue down that path, but you will also see that we will continue to lead the industry in terms of how consumers can find out what we’re collecting, specifically what we collected, what we’re going to use it for, and how they can turn it off if they don’t like it.

"real benefits" you say, hmmm

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
so is this the kind of product that will connect to unsecured wifi without the owners input to relay user data?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

I’m like, “Dude, that’s not even full HD, that’s 720p.”
I'll bet this little detail went curiously unemphasized when the guy bought the tv back in 2006 or whenever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that tv had a pretty nice lifespan though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my current job doesn't really pay bonuses -- like we sometimes get a little extra kick some years that kind of functions as a bonus but thats it

but they do actually give raises, even if they have a huge complicated system for doing that to hide the fact that the global raise is a set amount and they need to distribute it in some way that people feel their performance matters and won't notice the sleight of hand

an old job gave out bonuses, but they were completely horrible about raises and after a couple years I discovered how arbitrary the whole process was

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
In one message obtained by The Enquirer, on newsstands today, Bezos wrote: “I love you, alive girl. I will show you with my body, and my lips and my eyes, very soon.”

In another pillow talk exchange, on May 13, the horn-dog billionaire wrote: “I want to smell you, I want to breathe you in. I want to hold you tight.… I want to kiss your lips…. I love you. I am in love with you.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bump_fn posted:

I love you, alive girl

... is he saying this because he normally fucks corpses :ohdear:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

El_Elegante posted:

if you have so little self-restraint that you have to unperson Stymie, you should go walk the Cursed Earth

agreed, he should've been trained to fyad a long time ago

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

exploded mummy posted:

dehumanize and join the mic

lol yeah working for the feds sounds like a swell idea

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

I'll bet this little detail went curiously unemphasized when the guy bought the tv back in 2006 or whenever

my 720p 32" sharp was $1200 whenever the gently caress i bought it, you didn't get 1080 unless you had a much larger screen

it's been very needs suiting for the past decade+

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

something something nerds attempting to use technology to solve their lack of social skill

what? i got my "hisense" 40 inch hdtv for $160 off amazon/woot and it doesnt offer any apps

i was tv shopping cuz my old one got broke being moved

element was a brand at wally world and i just did a quick check on consumer reports/bitchingaboutstuff.gov

5 star reviews abounded

and then the poor schmucks who could only give 1 star because their element tv caught fire

and the audio sucks even according to the five star reviews

-posted from my 65" TCL, full confession

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
tbf fire is one of the five elements

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

tbf fire is one of the five elements

it's sort of unfair that aether isn't one

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i thought leeloo was the fifth element

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

syscall girl posted:

i was tv shopping cuz my old one got broke being moved

element was a brand at wally world and i just did a quick check on consumer reports/bitchingaboutstuff.gov

5 star reviews abounded

and then the poor schmucks who could only give 1 star because their element tv caught fire

and the audio sucks even according to the five star reviews

-posted from my 65" TCL, full confession

element was the company that did the OORAH USA USA OUR TVS ARE AMERICAN MADE and had a line of tv's that had three screws inserted in detroit, thus classifying them as 'assembled in the USA', at ridiculous high prices. Then they had, alongside, a line of the same TVs that were 100% assembled in asia, 25% cheaper. literal patriot grift operation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

i thought leeloo was the fifth element

no that's boron

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Shame Boy posted:

... is he saying this because he normally fucks corpses :ohdear:

twitter's being really stupid and assuming this is some weird phrase he uses instead of the more likely case, which is that it's an autocorrect mistake

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
show me that hog wanna see that hog

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

so are we just believing supermarket tabloids now

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bezos has had his balls on public display for several years now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the funniest part about all that is i doubt jeff bezos gives a poo poo they're talking about it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1083496509268733953

fishmech posted:

the funniest part about all that is i doubt jeff bezos gives a poo poo they're talking about it

I mean, why would he? He is worth way more than Jeff Epstein

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

show me that hog wanna see that hog

let's see paul allen's cock

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
just go to dorsia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

El_Elegante posted:

just go to dorsia

i still can't get reservations there

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Steve Jorbs posted:

Bezos has had his balls on public display for several years now.

yeah thats just a tease though, I wanna see the full hog.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bump_fn posted:

In one message obtained by The Enquirer, on newsstands today, Bezos wrote: “I love you, alive girl. I will show you with my body, and my lips and my eyes, very soon.”

In another pillow talk exchange, on May 13, the horn-dog billionaire wrote: “I want to smell you, I want to breathe you in. I want to hold you tight.… I want to kiss your lips…. I love you. I am in love with you.”

bezos_01: ...i cant control my horny level

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

we had a 720p tv (i think it was a dlp projection model, in fact) back in 2003 and it was sold as HD

but not Full HD

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

here's some tech bubble poo poo, my company's catered lunch provider is now going to be offering "fun fridays" starting in februrary where they'll bring in "less healthy" options such as pizza and burgers

i like fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

we had a 720p tv (i think it was a dlp projection model, in fact) back in 2003 and it was sold as HD

but not Full HD

yes and?