Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Isn’t there, like, a bona-fide law that says every NFL game needs to be shown OTA in their local market unless blacked out?

No. Owners put it in when games started appearing on cable. Didn't want to potentially piss off fans. Probably irrelevant now but these are old guys who don't understand new technology well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Also those people who live in Western Massachusetts that only get Jets games. Orphan counties I think they call them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There's some conspiracy theory thats says the guy who negotaited MNF on the NFL end was a former ESPN employee still salty he was let go and intentionally screwed over ESPN and gave NBC a much better deal for SNF
It’s in the book about the history of ESPN which i would recommend reading.

Owners would never agree to another BYE week since the players would not do it for free.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I don't know if it was a move made especially for foreign broadcasters, but of the 32 FA Cup 3rd Round ties this year, 1 took place at 7:45 on Friday night, 7 at 12:30pm Saturday, 10 at 3pm Saturday, 5 at 5:30pm Saturday, 7 at 2pm Sunday, 1 at 4:30pm Sunday and 1 at 7:45pm Monday. Needless to say, the staggering of the kickoffs on Saturday especially didn't go down well at all with a lot of people

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Owners would never agree to another BYE week since the players would not do it for free.

An extra week of TV money would increase the salary cap a nice amount. And they don't even have to play a game to get it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i know they tried 2 bye weeks in 1993 and it didn't end well

as for the over the air thing, since cable was still newish in 1987 and you can usually watch games on over the air tv it makes sense

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Players generally like the bye weeks and it would be easier on their bodies. It would mean a week less of off season but they'd probably be ok with it. Added revenue to go to the salary cap would be gravy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Players generally like the bye weeks and it would be easier on their bodies. It would mean a week less of off season but they'd probably be ok with it. Added revenue to go to the salary cap would be gravy.
My stupid idea is for every team to play eight weeks, every team to then have their bye week, and then have every team play the second half of the schedule.

Maybe having every team take a week off at the same time would cause a lull in the middle of the season, but given how much airtime ESPN et al can already fill by having their NFL talking heads talking about stupid poo poo I don't really see why this would be a problem.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The could possible remove one of the four pointless preseason games.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Also those people who live in Western Massachusetts that only get Jets games. Orphan counties I think they call them.

I don't know if this has since changed, but when I lived in Erie PA, the "closest" city is actually Buffalo, so you got Buffalo games on TV. But the newspaper covered Cleveland for who the hell knows reasons and everyone walking around the city was a Steelers fan. It was a perplexing thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is a good article about orphan counties

https://deadspin.com/why-wont-the-fcc-let-orphan-counties-watch-their-local-1821328307

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Vertical Lime posted:

i know they tried 2 bye weeks in 1993 and it didn't end well

What really torpedoed this was in exchange for the 2nd bye week there was only one week between the conference title games and the Super Bowl

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/1083732043077435392?s=21

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Is a growth company like a tumor

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Sash! posted:

I don't know if this has since changed, but when I lived in Erie PA, the "closest" city is actually Buffalo, so you got Buffalo games on TV. But the newspaper covered Cleveland for who the hell knows reasons and everyone walking around the city was a Steelers fan. It was a perplexing thing.

Still the same.

Even more baffling is the baseball situation. They’re pretty much dead center between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, so there’s a lot of Indians coverage even though you’d figure it would be Pirates country given that they’re in PA. The Indians have been bigger there more often by virtue of the fact they’ve been contenders way more often than the Pirates since the mid 90s. But they ALSO have the Detroit Tigers AA farm team there, so there’s an odd amount of Tigers fans as well...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God the last thing we need is for Sinclair to have more power

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Sinclair owning the RSN's would be incredible. Every single baseball announcer bitching about lazy blacks walking to first instead of running.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

They already do that, they just dogwhistle it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Sinclair owning the RSN's would be incredible. Every single baseball announcer bitching about lazy blacks walking to first instead of running.

You say that as if it would be somehow different from current baseball broadcasts.

E: ELWOOD :doom:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I realized that right after I posted :negative:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Peanut President posted:

Is that really a thing? Are we talking walking when they're walked instead of running to first after a walk?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sash! posted:

Is that really a thing? Are we talking walking when they're walked instead of running to first after a walk?

Oh, hell yeah, it's a thing; phrases like "lack of hustle" are code for "lazy Latino or black guy I don't like." As Elwood said:

ElwoodCuse posted:

They already do that, they just dogwhistle it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sash! posted:

Yes. Its definitely a thing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sash! posted:

Its important to remember that most broadcasters actually hate the sport of baseball and anything that prolongs their stay at the ballpark even a picosecond longer than they think it should pisses them off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Its important to remember that most broadcasters actually hate the sport of baseball and anything that prolongs their stay at the ballpark even a picosecond longer than they think it should pisses them off.
Especially Joe Buck

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TimBrando/status/1084901127114682375

:smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He died last year too, and Tim Brando made basically the same post.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

lol he says he's "aware" it happened a year ago but his tweet says "just learned"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh lol, that's my bad then.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Yes. Its definitely a thing.

Well that's just dumb. It's literally called a walk!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Technically it's called a Base on Balls :rolleye:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/LoriSchmidt/status/1085601559839412225

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thank you Jesus. As a Reds fan, he is insufferable. Your prototypical old white man that bitches practically the entire time he calls a game, barely hides his overtly conservative politics, and just generally sucks the fun out of listening to a game. gently caress him. And his son, who is just a cheap imitation of his father.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Billy's gonna make me crash my car one day trying to follow the path through his stories

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1085910888765448193

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Next, send Joe Buck to a farm where he can run free and not announce games, thanks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UFC paid shill Ariel Helwani went on Dan Lebatard's show and it got weird

quote:

That then turns into Le Batard saying “Dana White wanted John Skipper just to be seen at a fight with him, because that sport, as you know, has the reputation of sewage, and that sewage isn’t something that Disney necessarily wanted to get into bed with. And so now, what has happened is Disney sees ‘Oh, there’s money to be made in MMA,’ and Disney’s buying everything, and ESPN’s buying everything, and now we’re telling you that the violence is okay. It wasn’t okay before, but now the violence is okay, and now we sell it to you with ESPN+.”

Le Batard then says he does love the sport, the producer tries to get Le Batard to talk to Helwani (“the face of our media coverage”), and Le Batard asks Helwani to “sell what this event is,”

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, it was super weird.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

that whole hour was outright wild

it also involved kornheiser getting his first two facetime calls ever

dan claimed he had to apologize to six different parties just for that hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005