Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have listened to the Tragically Hip, and they sound like the same government that created PASTEURIZED PRODUCT CHEDDAR CHEESE created MUSICAL PRODUCT ALTERNATIVE ROCK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
All cancon time should be dedicated to BA Johnston.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I have listened to the Tragically Hip, and they sound like the same government that created PASTEURIZED PRODUCT CHEDDAR CHEESE created MUSICAL PRODUCT ALTERNATIVE ROCK.

We're enemies now. We have beef.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Halloween Jack posted:

Your face is cheddar cheese. The Hip put on one of the best rock shows you'll ever see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lo, hearken unto me and hear my words and know the truth: I didn't think Titans was that good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

howe_sam posted:

Your face is cheddar cheese. The Hip put on one of the best rock shows you'll ever see.
Yeah I remember watching the feed for their final show and it was so good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that The Gifted s2 has done that's really hosed up is have the human antagonist join the Purifiers this season and then act all conflicted about it. He joined a literal hate group because he literally hates mutants and then acts like it's weird that people hate them.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah my eyes rolled out of my skull in the latest episode. He's sitting down with a mutant saying "hey we don't hate mutants".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

Something that The Gifted s2 has done that's really hosed up is have the human antagonist join the Purifiers this season and then act all conflicted about it. He joined a literal hate group because he literally hates mutants and then acts like it's weird that people hate them.

So its written by proud boys???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah my eyes rolled out of my skull in the latest episode. He's sitting down with a mutant saying "hey we don't hate mutants".

Then he covers up for the innocent kid getting murdered by his cop/fellow hate group member friend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's typical CW style writing. The characters' emotional conflicts and inner lives are more important than their literal actions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

That's typical CW style writing. The characters' emotional conflicts and inner lives are more important than their literal actions.

Too bad its on Fox. I think the writers think that having Jace join a literal genocidal hate group can be read another way other than he's a loving nazi. He literally got kicked out of the SS for being too much of a nazi. At least on Supergirl it is never shown that the Children of Liberty or the Agent are anything but hateful nazi fuckers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm really far behind on Gifted, has the show ever had Jace spell out what he means when he says he wants "take care of the mutant problem"?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think what they are trying to do is show how a normal family person can be radicalized into hate/terror groups through tragedy. They are perhaps doing a slightly better job on the mutant side of that than with Jace, though both plots are kind of weak. Jace exploded last episode about how mutants had taken everything from him, but he really only lost his daughter several years ago to mutants. He didn't lose his job because of them, he lost his job and his wife because he became obsessed, which pretty much everyone who was close to him calmly explained to him several times. On the mutant side, I guess Andy is supposed to be the easily influenced, ideological youth who is just an emotional train wreck. And Polaris is the disenfranchised young adult and new parent who wants a better world for her family and no longer believes the old hippie ways can work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Too bad its on Fox.

CW style writing is no more limited to the CW than new york style pizza is limited to new york.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean
https://twitter.com/markberman/status/1083363758666330113

Seems realistic to me. KKK members say the same things. I haven't been watching this season because it seems like it's gonna get cancelled and I kind of hate the Fenris kids

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

zoux posted:

Lo, hearken unto me and hear my words and know the truth: I didn't think Titans was that good.
I thought it was as good as the better Marvel Netflix series, with less filler. The weakest parts are definitely the CWish stuff about family dynamics.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Punisher trailer, I had no idea it was already coming next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLhP5sK2wI

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jace is the worst character, which is a tough call on The Gifted, and terribly written. Every character has kind of gotten more annoying and ridiculous as season 2 has went on. Blink and the Morlocks, Reeva's crew, and the Strucker's being the dumbest, most gullible, people around stick out.

I decided to stop watching after the break episode because the show most likely won't be able to go anywhere due to the writing and status of the mutants at FOX, the CW character dynamics are getting ridiculous, and let's face it, and it's probably going to be cancelled before any big resolutions because of the buy out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Samuringa posted:

Punisher trailer, I had no idea it was already coming next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLhP5sK2wI

This looks awesome and I also did not know it was coming next week. Frank appears to be wearing the skull more which is cool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

This looks awesome and I also did not know it was coming next week. Frank appears to be wearing the skull more which is cool.

I noted this in the TVIV thread, but there's been persistent rumors and leaks that this season will include an adaptation of The Slavers. Rev or an adaptation thereof running a fundamentalist Christian or Mormon sex cult that enslaves young women and this girl is an escapee who crosses paths with Frank seems like the setup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Punisher is the only Netflix Marvel show that deserves to live on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

:hai:

E: also, I approve of the sliced up Alice In Chains used in the trailer with the beat matched smash cuts and impacts. (I usually hate that, but it worked here for me)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 10, 2019

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage went out with cool seasons and the latter 2 had neat hooks for a follow up.

Cythereal posted:

I noted this in the TVIV thread, but there's been persistent rumors and leaks that this season will include an adaptation of The Slavers. Rev or an adaptation thereof running a fundamentalist Christian or Mormon sex cult that enslaves young women and this girl is an escapee who crosses paths with Frank seems like the setup.

I'm down for that. Prayers up for Curtis so he makes it through another season.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm gonna skip that trailer to keep myself pure but I'm very excited for punisher

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really bizarre thing about The Gifted is what happened between s1 and s2. Near the end of season 1 they introduced the Hellfire Club with the finale being that some of the main characters were breaking off of the Mutant Underground to join the Hellfire Club. Then season 2 starts and they introduce a new villain who kills the people previously shown to be in charge of the Hellfire Club (not any actual comic characters) and then they rebrand themselves as "The Inner Circle" and everyone just uses that name from now on.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
That was indeed very strange and pulled the rug out from anyone that may have been excited for Hellfire Club.

Gifted needs more characters on the ends of the good/evil spectrum. Everyone can't be constantly fluctuating and trying to figure out where they stand. At least we need a few folks grounding us and providing an extreme relative to the rest of the cast. Mostly on the evil side.

I guess there is Reeva but even she balked at inside-out-girl's actions at the bank. And whatever twisty bullshit they are leading towards with her, I don't know.

I guess what I'm saying is, give me a spin-off with Caitlin Strucker as the main character please and thank you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They just need more characters in general. Like the Inner Circle is literally is literally Reeva, the Cuckoos, Lorna, Andy and Sage. While the Underground lost all the supporting characters between seasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It won't.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

They just need more characters in general. Like the Inner Circle is literally is literally Reeva, the Cuckoos, Lorna, Andy and Sage. While the Underground lost all the supporting characters between seasons.

Mutants cost money! But we just gotta make a show about mutants!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We need more cheap mutants, like ones that look like normal people but they're good at puzzles or are always wet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amusingly enough most of Magneto’s crew from Last Stand (Porcupine Boy, Blurry Fast Lady etc.) could probably be done on a tv budget now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Amusingly enough most of Magneto’s crew from Last Stand (Porcupine Boy, Blurry Fast Lady etc.) could probably be done on a tv budget now.

the third one that never spoke or really did anything was Psylocke lmao

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

They could've been done on a tv budget back then, they looked loving horrible.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rhyno posted:

Well, there's only been a single (good) season. You probably woulda said the same thing after the first season of Daredevil too.

I would be okay if Punisher does another strong season and gets cancelled, and we never have to watch a garbage season with a forced love interest and a bunch of boring faceless ninjas for bad guys. We'll all remember it as the Nirvana of the Netflix shows that went out on top and wasn't around long enough to turn bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm just hoping the unfortunately already filmed cliffhanger isn't super good

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

I'm just hoping the unfortunately already filmed cliffhanger isn't super good

I'm guessing they knew the show would be canceled while they were writing and filming Punisher.

Honestly, I'll be really happy if they give Frank a good ending. The ending to S1 was perfect if they weren't going to do another season, and I hope Frank does as well this time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Barring the scenario that the creators knew it was gonna be cancelled, I don't think that'll happen cuz having the same ending twice in two seasons is just bad storytelling

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

:hai:

E: also, I approve of the sliced up Alice In Chains used in the trailer with the beat matched smash cuts and impacts. (I usually hate that, but it worked here for me)

The remixed/toned down the best part of that song. If they left the "If I would/could you" as the angry stop/start shout it was in the original it would have been perfect. Still glad they used (most of) the original instead of some slowed down cover version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Madkal posted:

The remixed/toned down the best part of that song. If they left the "If I would/could you" as the angry stop/start shout it was in the original it would have been perfect. Still glad they used (most of) the original instead of some slowed down cover version.

Yeah, that’s more what I was getting at. I think it could have been remixed better, but I’m mostly glad it wasn’t some twee “reimagining” of the original.