Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

selec posted:

America is wild, and before today, I thought poo poo like "a big problem in America is the inability to communicate across party lines" was loving bullshit, and that it was all going one way. I was naive.

Sweet, you're falsely equivocating racism and bigotry to "communicating across party lines". You're definitely naive tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twice burned ice posted:

I'm not sure how well 'taking money from disaster victims to pay for a wall' plays, among all but the chuddiest of chuds.

This is some stupid poo poo.

they don't care and in fact love it, because they're bad people

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Glazius posted:

They don't actually believe that, and neither does the pastor. At least, I hope they don't. What a bunch of depraved people those would be.

"Oh no, thousands of babies are being murdered every day! I guess maybe in two years we can vote on it, and if the 'kill babies' side wins, oh well, try again!"

Accusing people of lying about their feelings doesn't seem like the move if you're trying to get them to come to your side.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

I'd say it's more like I don't care too much what your opinion of me is, because if I did, I could make a lot of friends and jokes by being a boring milktoast liberal in this thread. I refuse to do that.

But I also think it's kinda shocking how quick folks are to retreat to stereotypes about the people they've decided they hate. I mean, I am disappointed. I don't know why I should be, but I kinda guess I just had my sense of the willingness to look at poo poo and accept the complications of humanity that I projected onto this thread shaken.

All human lives have value, is what I'm saying, and the essential dignity of people who are good people, who are decent contributors to their community, is now subject to a set of ever-tightening purity tests. Not the recipe for a big tent or mass movement. I feel let down, I guess. Both by my own ability or lack thereof to communicate what I feel is the essential core decency of these people, despite their voting tendencies.

America is wild, and before today, I thought poo poo like "a big problem in America is the inability to communicate across party lines" was loving bullshit, and that it was all going one way. I was naive.

Do you think you're to the left of a milquetoast liberal with the posts you've made in the last 10 pages?

Because, wow, if so

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

heyitsamanda posted:

Sweet, you're falsely equivocating racism and bigotry to "communicating across party lines". You're definitely naive tho

Here's a koan for you: they are no more racist or bigoted than your average democratic voter, it's just that they vote GOP.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when jim jordan or one of those assholes projects whoever's taking the quote really needs to go "isn't that what you guys did?"

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I maintain the average GOP voter is pretty racist and bigoted, and those views and behaviors are normalized by people like yourself because FEELINGS

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Given some of the work the Corps of Engineers does, I would worry that this could not only harm existing disaster recoveries, but even create a few new ones.

I mean, that was a part of what happened with New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina (the budgets got gutted and the improved sections started decades earlier were still unfinished).

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

Do you think you're to the left of a milquetoast liberal with the posts you've made in the last 10 pages?

Because, wow, if so

I absolutely am. I'm a staunch anti-capitalist. I absolutely believe that we live in a racial caste system. I think that our foreign policy is a horror show and that any excuse for overseas militarism is the product of a long-term propaganda project from the MIC. Run down the checklist, and I'm there with you.

I just don't think you've got a realistic project of anti-racism going. i think you're LARPing it, is what I'm saying.

An anti-racist project that offers no understanding of how those people got there, the people who functionally have racial opinions no different from Democratic voters in their age cohort, isn't a realistic undertaking.

Like I have been saying, it's complicated, but I'm not worrying too much if I'm hitting the marks for you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

heyitsamanda posted:

I maintain the average GOP voter is pretty racist and bigoted, and those views and behaviors are normalized by people like yourself because FEELINGS

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -NOT Edmund Burke

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Majorian posted:

Which is what, exactly? What did I do that's bad behavior?

So are you claiming now that you haven't been spending a few hours defending selec now?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

So are you claiming now that you haven't been spending a few hours defending selec now?

I am claiming that, yes. I've actually criticized him, although more lightly than others here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

selec posted:

I absolutely am. I'm a staunch anti-capitalist. I absolutely believe that we live in a racial caste system. I think that our foreign policy is a horror show and that any excuse for overseas militarism is the product of a long-term propaganda project from the MIC. Run down the checklist, and I'm there with you.

I just don't think you've got a realistic project of anti-racism going. i think you're LARPing it, is what I'm saying.

An anti-racist project that offers no understanding of how those people got there, the people who functionally have racial opinions no different from Democratic voters in their age cohort, isn't a realistic undertaking.

Like I have been saying, it's complicated, but I'm not worrying too much if I'm hitting the marks for you.

amazing

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Wait, isn't this basically a House of Cards plotline?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lycus posted:

Wait, isn't this basically a House of Cards plotline?

They declared the emergency to start a jobs program iirc

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

selec posted:

What about the blatantly anti-woman views, though?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

when jim jordan or one of those assholes projects whoever's taking the quote really needs to go "isn't that what you guys did?"

The only response is "sit down and shut your lying mouth."

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

But are they better looking than Tom Cruise?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

just fyi this is an angle i consider genuinely kinda dangerous to propose to these folks

because there's a small but nonzero chance one of 'em will go "you know what, you're right!" and whoopsie you've radicalized a terrorist

Yeah, its one thing to challenge people when you're pretty sure you can call their bluff and test their limits. But like I've known a lot of people who were pretty locked into their abortion opposition and never seemed like a worthwhile gambit to say "if you feel that way you should probably start murdering all abortion doctors, pro-choice politicians, and activists."

I mean, they probably wouldn't have but I'm not sure what that would have got me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

If you can't even deal with racism within your own house, I'm guessing your commitment to anti-racism ends with voting and maybe some political organizing.

People who are family or close friends are probably the only people you can directly influence the opinion of racism on. I don't think you have any room to call people Larpers when you can sit through thanksgiving dinner without calling people out because you're too afraid to rock the boat.

This isn't trying to measure genitals or whatever on "who's the bigger activist". I'm saying you, by your own admission, can't even be arsed to gently caress with people in your family about this. That's the height of privilege.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

can i interest you in a hindu quasi-cult sect based on the sermons of an 1800s dude who was honestly pretty cool and extremely odd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramakrishna_Mission

This is interesting and really cool. Thanks!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Yo the balls on this guy. Folks at the ACE must be extremely tight about this.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1083507856702390272

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083513840418066432

This is hours after Trump declined Graham’s suggestion that he offer DACA in exchange lol

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Can't justify that wall if the current system is working and catching people...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

can i interest you in a hindu quasi-cult sect based on the sermons of an 1800s dude who was honestly pretty cool and extremely odd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramakrishna_Mission

They're pretty cool, all right. A lot of cool people have been part of the group too.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's really amazing to me that I'm still seeing republican chuds on my friends' facebook posts claiming that trump is "winning" because of the shutdown and the dems are hurting. These people genuinely seem to live in another reality entirely.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I flew out of Seattle this past summer and they rolled out a new checkpoint system because poo poo is nuts. You know what they changed? I didn't have to take off my drat shoes, they were only using metal detectors, and they just had us shove everything into a bin and not taking anything out. Took me 20 minutes to get through the most insane line I've ever seen start to finish. So the answer to your question is yes, what they're doing is useless and if there are fewer of them doing it and they reduce their useless bullshit then you move through just as quickly because it's all for show. In Seattle Pre-check is just a shorter line at this point.

They only operate this way like 5% of the time it's maddening.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

selec posted:

I mean, maybe!

Seriously, is this where we're at? Why not just start murdering them? After all, if they have no place in civil society, then what do we do with them? Just shun them all, and refuse to go to their funerals?

Why not just go for the gulag option and be done with it? You've given up on the notion of civil society if you cannot imagine a future living alongside, in some capacity, with people who disagree with you. I'm kinda weirded out.

I'm not advocating the hyperbolic actions you mention in your post or really any particular action but referring to them as simply "people who disagree with you" is a pretty privileged statement.

Someone trying to kill you definitely disagrees with you, but referring to them as "someone who disagrees with you" would be a hilarious understatement. What about others who want that person to kill you and maybe elected him to a position of power where he might have the ability to actually accomplish that goal?

Yes, I'm using an extreme example but for some groups it's not really that great of an exaggeration when compared to the current political environment.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Crow Jane posted:

What about the blatantly anti-woman views, though?

I'm not sure how those play out. I mean, they have three daughters, who they paid for their college, and have supported their careers. To them, they're super pro-woman. When their granddaughter wanted to learn to hunt, they bought her a bow so she could go out with her dad.

They live in a different context than we do. I think the headscarf thing is very appropriate that way: muslim women embrace the headscarf. My MIL chose, for herself, to stop wearing the doily. She worked out of the house and shares decisions with FIL pretty evenly.

They would look at me like I'd stepped off a UFO if I called them anti-woman. It's just contextually insanity to them; they know people who believe women shouldn't work outside the home, or that modesty should be enforced. They see those people, and say "that's anti-woman." To them, they're hitting all the modern liberal societal marks. They just have different opinions about how sexuality should be treated. They held their son to those same standards, in fact.

Hell, I was raised by liberal ex-hippies, and I got told that sex is special, and that I should probably wait until I was in a committed relationship, and that I was going to see a lot of messages out in the world that glorified it, and that those messages were not realistic. In a modern context, aspects of that are sex negative.

I don't have an answer for you except the ethnographic one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

empty whippet box posted:

It's really amazing to me that I'm still seeing republican chuds on my friends' facebook posts claiming that trump is "winning" because of the shutdown and the dems are hurting. These people genuinely seem to live in another reality entirely.

Fox News spent all day yesterday talking about what losers Chuck and Nancy looked like and how the entire internet was mocking them and they're such phony jokes.

So that reality.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/edlavaCNN/status/1083445871285555202

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

empty whippet box posted:

you see people in this thread claiming he's winning like, every single day.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083513840418066432

This is hours after Trump declined Graham’s suggestion that he offer DACA in exchange lol
What, uh... what the gently caress Graham.

Are you trying to... jesus, I don't get the game here. I feel like "Trump declares himself Dictator" is the sort of thing that 54 Presidents-to-be might take a bit offense to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it must be great being graham and not having an ounce of shame. thats gotta be a world record flip flop.

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

Majorian posted:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -NOT Edmund Burke

I'm not saying his family are across the board assholes, and he's given several examples that point quite to the contrary. But even institutionalized racism and bigotry are, well, still racism and bigotry. And I get the Fox News/Right Wing Media disinformation and propaganda machine. But when confronted (or not confronted in this case) with the gaping logic holes and hypocrisy in views commonly held by GOP voters such as his family, their response to them with hostility is also indicative of the type of person who falls back on their predisposed points of view over factual evidence.

In either case, it's totally not unreasonable to just act like an adult and point it out in the same way you'd point out any other kind of crude or morally unsound action you come across. It's really not much more complicated than that. And if you don't wanna bother, it's your family and your life. The problem is trying to defend the latter with any sort of moral justification or appeal for sympathy from people who are actively disenfranchised by the people you are defending and ceding your testicular fortitude towards for the sake of preserving your relationships with them. And this forum and thread have a lot of those people posting here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

selec posted:

I'd say it's more like I don't care too much what your opinion of me is, because if I did, I could make a lot of friends and jokes by being a boring milktoast liberal in this thread. I refuse to do that.

But I also think it's kinda shocking how quick folks are to retreat to stereotypes about the people they've decided they hate. I mean, I am disappointed. I don't know why I should be, but I kinda guess I just had my sense of the willingness to look at poo poo and accept the complications of humanity that I projected onto this thread shaken.

All human lives have value, is what I'm saying, and the essential dignity of people who are good people, who are decent contributors to their community, is now subject to a set of ever-tightening purity tests. Not the recipe for a big tent or mass movement. I feel let down, I guess. Both by my own ability or lack thereof to communicate what I feel is the essential core decency of these people, despite their voting tendencies.

You're an idiot.

Yes, the GOP voters are still human. Yes, they did not get where they were by being inhuman monsters, but rather by understandable forces of cultural pressure and self reinforcing community views.

No, that doesn't mean that tthere's any point in trying to win them over. They are simply too far gone. It's worth remembering they're still human, but no we cannot reason with them. They just want to hurt people because they're afraid.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr President tear up that wall

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Mr President tear up that wall

Seriously, everyone is hoping they go first at the debate so they can use that line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1083449924770037761

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1083450180895195136