Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Were the planes that problematic? I'm guessing so if they were changed to this extent but at least from personal experience I felt like they were really easy to destroy and the 50 hp penalty for staying in it was good enough to make them not OP. Don't really bemoan the changes since I didn't like using them much myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I completely suck at this game and nothing tilted me more than having some rear end in a top hat in a plane crash into me with no consequences. A thrilling new game mechanic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Were the planes that problematic? I'm guessing so if they were changed to this extent but at least from personal experience I felt like they were really easy to destroy and the 50 hp penalty for staying in it was good enough to make them not OP. Don't really bemoan the changes since I didn't like using them much myself though.

Planes were and are pretty easy to defeat in undisturbed 1v1 as a pedestrian, but they were insanely good at being effectively instantaneous and invulnerable 3rd/Nth party, i.e. free kill machines that negated most circumstances or skill differential. Another problem, albeit one affecting an arguably significant group of people, was that in higher skill lobbies the 100% plane spawn rate on all spawns meant a dozen planes in last circles just passively circling each other - and ground could again do poo poo about it since these circles would be packed enough that no peak was really affordable - see the most recent major tournament for an example of this.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 10, 2019

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vehicles are fun but sometimes I do miss the circle being a threat earlier in the game.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is how it goes every time. Some item gets added to the game that people refuse to adapt to and they protest until it's removed or nerfed into oblivion. It doesn't matter if it's something that might only affect them very rarely or not. Someone once crashed into them with a plane and knocked them off a mountain 2 weeks ago and now all planes must die. Nevermind the fact that we used to have bounce grenades in the game to do the same thing. If you look at the Fortnite posts on Twitter you can still find kids begging them to remove Tilted Towers or to bring back double pump.

Don't confuse competitive and casual play either. Things happen in competitive that would never in a million years ever happen in casual play. They should just have an OG mode for those people that never gets any of the updates.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Serious question, do you even play the game?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I play nightly. I've died to a plane while I've been on foot maybe once?
I could just as easily 3rd party you by shooting out your builds from a distance while you're distracted.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Planes were never a big issue for me. I died maybe twice to them? But my main use for them still works. Getting from point a to point b fast, or getting out of a fight I know I can’t win. The nerf doesn’t hurt me on that front.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Serious question, do you even play the game?

Another serious question, does anyone play STW? Most of the conversations in here are BR.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

I play nightly. I've died to a plane while I've been on foot maybe once?
I could just as easily 3rd party you by shooting out your builds from a distance while you're distracted.

But of course. :allears:

E: To be clear, you dying to them once is the one part of the post I believe. Everything else just sounds like 2 games per night and never building and never in a plane, which would be consistent with defending infinity blade that you did earlier, iirc.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 10, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

wa27 posted:

Vehicles are fun but sometimes I do miss the circle being a threat earlier in the game.

eh, I don't really miss losing because you rolled the dice wrong and had to spend the entire match hoofing it, while a bunch of other players got to actually play the game, or the weird sort of "Either you drop in tilted/the weekly hotspot and face 50 dudes or it's a wasteland of seeing no one" dichotomy. With the increased mobility of common vehicles and ski-lifts/rifts a lot of the map is more viable for drop zones, even if we're seeing a few too many planes for some folk's taste right now.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The massive amount of mobility is so nice for the overall flow the game. Everywhere has access to some kind of mobility so you can land in a quiet spot and still get into the action pretty quickly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CmdrRiker posted:

Another serious question, does anyone play STW? Most of the conversations in here are BR.

I've been playing for over a year but I mostly just hop on to do a couple of dailies before bed now. The game's fun but maybe a bit easy even at 100 and I'm getting a little tired of the constant events and new weapons to get every week. Even though Frostnite is a departure from the norm I don't really like it because it and the other events that don't let you use your stockpile of cool schematics that you play to amass seem kind of backwards. I'm slowly working on the latest part of the Canny Valley plot but having to constantly play Ghost Town maps is annoying. I didn't get the pin by beating the boss guy before the end of the year because of the effort.

That said I can't hate on the game too much because I keep logging in. I still enjoy headshotting things through walls/the ground/everything with my maxed out Neon Sniper rifle.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You seem to be really mad about your crutch being taken away.
You seem really mad people have different opinions than you.

THAT'S a crutch.

Next you'll be accusing me of just being "salty" because I need to "git gud". Oh...I see you've done that already.

THAT'S a crutch.

I'm just saying it added a dimension to the game, suddenly you had to watch the skies if you heard a plane, you could have a different type of battle with a dogfight, you could do STUFF. I don't give a poo poo if I win or not, I just want to entertain myself and they took away one of the things I used to do that. I think having the battle field be a flat plain is going backwards and the same as every other battle royale.

Your tactic of "shaming" people for not being as good at the game as you is not a good look, you should stop.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
It's nice to have dualies back tho rite?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First game tonight. Went to lucky for the challenge, hear another guy but never encounter him. Circle eventually moves to polar, I hide in plain sight between one of those 1x1 towers and the gate area with the bridge behind it. Quickly goes from 5 left to me and one other. Move into the circle, guy presumably is already there. I get away with it safely, and once again wait til the circle starts moving. Guy gets the high ground, tries to rpg me but it hits a tree and I get a few shots in with the p90 to boot. I basically boot it to the safe zone while he's trying to build and escape the circle and I give him a few taps with the scar to end it. 8 solo wins now! against 1143 matches :negative:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Rexxed posted:

I've been playing for over a year but I mostly just hop on to do a couple of dailies before bed now. The game's fun but maybe a bit easy even at 100 and I'm getting a little tired of the constant events and new weapons to get every week. Even though Frostnite is a departure from the norm I don't really like it because it and the other events that don't let you use your stockpile of cool schematics that you play to amass seem kind of backwards. I'm slowly working on the latest part of the Canny Valley plot but having to constantly play Ghost Town maps is annoying. I didn't get the pin by beating the boss guy before the end of the year because of the effort.

That said I can't hate on the game too much because I keep logging in. I still enjoy headshotting things through walls/the ground/everything with my maxed out Neon Sniper rifle.

Yeah, I get it. I think the reason why I haven't experienced fatigue quite to that extent yet is because I like to gently caress around with different hero load outs and weapons pretty frequently. It helps the game feel fresh. I also like to experiment with building really crazy and elaborate defenses in order to see how the AI pathing reacts.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They see three tiles ahead and 3 tiles wide. They path around drops that will cause fall damage. Don't bother with traps unless it's a 4x.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

You seem really mad people have different opinions than you.

THAT'S a crutch.

Next you'll be accusing me of just being "salty" because I need to "git gud". Oh...I see you've done that already.

THAT'S a crutch.

I'm just saying it added a dimension to the game, suddenly you had to watch the skies if you heard a plane, you could have a different type of battle with a dogfight, you could do STUFF. I don't give a poo poo if I win or not, I just want to entertain myself and they took away one of the things I used to do that. I think having the battle field be a flat plain is going backwards and the same as every other battle royale.

Your tactic of "shaming" people for not being as good at the game as you is not a good look, you should stop.

I don’t shame people for the sake of shaming, or even pretend to have a moral high ground here. I get players like you, your new shiny toy has been devalued [from welfare kill/safety net to something other players now have say in] by Epic [because it breaks the flow of the game] and you are upset - all that tells me, and what I remind you, is that you are most likely not a player whose opinion about game balance is to be take seriously - which is something you say yourself, you only care about the game as to be personally entertained. There is nothing wrong with that, but don’t expect to find agreement with the vocal part of the community, that cares about game presenting fair playing field.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t shame people for the sake of shaming, or even pretend to have a moral high ground here. I get players like you, your new shiny toy has been devalued [from welfare kill/safety net to something other players now have say in] by Epic [because it breaks the flow of the game] and you are upset - all that tells me, and what I remind you, is that you are most likely not a player whose opinion about game balance is to be take seriously - which is something you say yourself, you only care about the game as to be personally entertained. There is nothing wrong with that, but don’t expect to find agreement with the vocal part of the community, that cares about game presenting fair playing field.
\

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is that a new Fortnite skin?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wish

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The new one is fairly nice, by the way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hate the nose ring on it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The new one is fairly nice, by the way.

I just want the drat magicians back so I can buy them all. I knew I should have the first time...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LionArcher posted:

I just want the drat magicians back so I can buy them all. I knew I should have the first time...

I missed the American football touchdown emote :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mongoose posted:

It's nice to have dualies back tho rite?

Yes

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Of the streamers in the OP, who is the most chill/normal?

My dad is a grade school Principal and was asking me about Fortnite, but I don't play it, so I figured I could show him a streamer on Twitch (since that is also a new experience for his generation) and kill two sociocultural birds with one stone. I just don't want to flip on some Pew-die-pie-esque screeching fuckwit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Of the streamers in the OP, who is the most chill/normal?

My dad is a grade school Principal and was asking me about Fortnite, but I don't play it, so I figured I could show him a streamer on Twitch (since that is also a new experience for his generation) and kill two sociocultural birds with one stone. I just don't want to flip on some Pew-die-pie-esque screeching fuckwit.

I would say TimTheTatman, DrLupo, or CouRageJD - when they are not playing with Ninja.

E: From the OP, DrLupo. Dakotaz and Kraffty are not quite there for what you want, I think, but close.

E2: 7.20 building change

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 11, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sounds like something they forgot to do in the version 1.0.0 when they released BR, and decided to make the map not follow the grid.

In STW we don't have these problems because we obey the grid.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Sounds like there's a bug in the "Deal damage with 5 different weapons" challenge that means it only works in respawn modes until your first death. That means you can't just knock it out in 5 minutes in Disco Domination. Apparently there's a fix coming "in a future update" but no timeframe for when that's out.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I would say TimTheTatman, DrLupo, or CouRageJD - when they are not playing with Ninja.

E: From the OP, DrLupo. Dakotaz and Kraffty are not quite there for what you want, I think, but close.

Thanks much!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Hm, I finished that challenge, but I had to actually use 5 different kinds of ammo: pistol, rifle and sniper rifle bullets, shotgun shells and I think the last one was turret. I would be really surprised if I did all of that before my first death. Unless this is a new bug.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I actually saw my "Damage with different weapons" count go down from 4/5 to 3/5 when I got killed in Disco Domination, so it's definitely a crazy bug. And it did go up again later in the game even though I'd respawned (but it never hit 5). Some people are making it through successfully though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah I did the 5 weapons challenge twice and it bugged out after 4. It worked the third time when I did 5 different ammo types. Medium, Shotgun, Light, Heavy, Rockets.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They are fine with ninja too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dwesa posted:

Hm, I finished that challenge, but I had to actually use 5 different kinds of ammo: pistol, rifle and sniper rifle bullets, shotgun shells and I think the last one was turret. I would be really surprised if I did all of that before my first death. Unless this is a new bug.

This is correct and how I did it.

And on the subject of planes, the one thing I've never figured out how to do is actually dogfight in them. Best I can tell once someone is on your rear end, they're gonna stay there until you explode or manage to gently caress off. Actually turning it around on them seems drat near impossible. (Discounting hopping onto a wing and shooting them with my actual guns, I suppose.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

This is correct and how I did it.

And on the subject of planes, the one thing I've never figured out how to do is actually dogfight in them. Best I can tell once someone is on your rear end, they're gonna stay there until you explode or manage to gently caress off. Actually turning it around on them seems drat near impossible. (Discounting hopping onto a wing and shooting them with my actual guns, I suppose.)

Try air braking for sharper turns and hope they don't do the same. But yeah it's very hard to get someone off your rear end, which I think is intentional.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I ended up just flying as close to the ground as I possibly can. Natural cover works well against most attackers, including other planes. Unless the person shooting you is in a balloon, that is.

Planes are hella fun in Food Fight. You'd be surprised at how many teams don't bother really protecting entrances that aren't the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LionArcher posted:

They are fine with ninja too.

Yeah but you get to hear Ninja then too, which definitely is not something that poster wanted.