Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Heath posted:

I played CV2 before the internet got mad at it and followed a guide and loved it

People hated Simon’s Quest long before the internet was around, believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Which reminds me, in case you wanted to play Simon's Quest with a retranslation and SRAM instead of passwords.

https://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/

Edit: Right, Simon's Quest Redaction exists too but I like the SRAM more.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 10, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I liked Castlevania 2, but dunno if I ever beat it as a kid. Only reason I knew where to go is because I had the Gameplayer Tape that covered it and Strider.

Anyway the January 9th game is Darkwing Duck for the T-16/PC Engine.

Actually cheating a little as I played this very briefly back in 2002 or so when I found out the game existed from the old Darkwing Duck webring I used to visit. I played it and ripped some sprites (like the below megavolt) but never played all that much of it. Tried it again tonight and the game is nearly unplayable. No invincible frames, gas gun does jack poo poo, and platforming is stiff. It a pretty looking game, but this is not the excellent NES game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Darkwing TG16 does this baffling thing where you have to hold down to bounce off an enemy but there's no actual animation indicating a difference between bouncing or just a regular jump which will cause you to take damage. And unlike Ducktales where the pogo is both an attack and a move so you want to be able to trigger it on and off, the bounce in Darkwing is just an attack so why the gently caress isn't this my default state, you rear end in a top hat designers?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

al-azad posted:

Darkwing TG16 does this baffling thing where you have to hold down to bounce off an enemy but there's no actual animation indicating a difference between bouncing or just a regular jump which will cause you to take damage. And unlike Ducktales where the pogo is both an attack and a move so you want to be able to trigger it on and off, the bounce in Darkwing is just an attack so why the gently caress isn't this my default state, you rear end in a top hat designers?

Interactive Design's TG16 Darkwing Duck game is impressive in that it is somehow even worse than Interactive Design's TG16 TailSpin game.

Looking back 1992-1994 was the real sink or swim time for Euro devs, so many crashed and burned trying to go what worked well in the mid-Amiga days over and over again on every platform and it killed them.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 10, 2019

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Funny you should mention Darkwing Duck - one of the Sonic Mania devs recently uploaded a Darkwing Duck prototype he made as a pitch to Capcom that never went anywhere: http://www.headcannon.com/hchc/Darkwing/Darkwing.zip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzncmnRex0

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Funny you should mention Darkwing Duck - one of the Sonic Mania devs recently uploaded a Darkwing Duck prototype he made as a pitch to Capcom that never went anywhere: http://www.headcannon.com/hchc/Darkwing/Darkwing.zip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzncmnRex0

Man that depresses me since that looked neat. Dunno why Capcom had no interest since Sonic Mania came out so well.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

dishwasherlove posted:

There many good PS3 games that will probably never get ported because of the cpu architecture and effort. The Motorstorm series springs to mind, especially Pacific Rift. Many weird PSN games, Noby Boy, Ragdoll Kungfu, the Capcom arcade remasters, although I notice the Street Fighter games were in the most recent collection (RIP MvC2, Darkstalkers) and weird jp games like Aquanauts Holiday.

I was gonna be like, "Ragdoll Kung Fu was literally the first non-Valve game to be sold on Steam, though?" but I had no idea it had gotten a somewhat updated rerelease 4 years later?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Man that depresses me since that looked neat. Dunno why Capcom had no interest since Sonic Mania came out so well.

I think it’s more like Disney doesn’t care about the license although they could be working on something because one episode of DuckTales has a 5 minute stealth pilot for Darkwing Duck.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still strange that it's not on Itunes when almost all the other Disney Afternoon shows are up besides Aladdin that I can see being put up around the live action movie.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I was gonna be like, "Ragdoll Kung Fu was literally the first non-Valve game to be sold on Steam, though?" but I had no idea it had gotten a somewhat updated rerelease 4 years later?

It's a pretty fun game and quite different to the Steam release as there is no mouse control.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got my Genuine 1019 GCN memory card from The Gamesmen, opened it up, aaaand... it's fake! :confuoot:.

To be fair, I'm not THAT surprised and I doubt they're aware of it themselves - you really wouldn't be able to tell it's a knockoff unless you saw the circuitboard. I let them know anyway, see what they have to say about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Kotaku wrote a cool story about the history of the gamesmen https://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/the-long-way-is-the-short-way-the-30-year-legacy-of-the-gamesmen/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

According to some comments from one of their other videos, their contact at Capcom basically quit/got fired right after talking to them and nobody else there cared enough to follow it up.

They say they talked to someone at Wayforward looking for an in and were basically told Disney's not interested.

It's a shame, Ducktales Remastered did really well, Sega's Mickey game did okay despite the studio dying before it was done, I can only assume Disney Afternoon Collection didn't flop, etc. I'm not necessarily hankering for a Darkwing Duck game but it'd be nice if they'd let somebody do something.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I want my Genesis Aladdin game but as pretty as DuckTales remastered.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Its pretty but that gas gun mechanic won't work very well.

Specifically shooting normal pellets depleting your supply. That should only work for special shots, otherwise getting through levels will be shite

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I want my Genesis Aladdin game but as pretty as DuckTales remastered.

They could probably use the original animation cels too, provided they're still around.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SCheeseman posted:

They could probably use the original animation cels too, provided they're still around.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Maybe they got transferred to some kind of intermediate during processing? It'd be a shame there weren't higher resolution versions of the original artwork.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Maybe they got transferred to some kind of intermediate during processing? It'd be a shame there weren't higher resolution versions of the original artwork.

Darkwing Duck was right before the digital revolution so it seems unlikely. Plus, I suspect that the bulk of the work was done on the cheap overseas like most daily children's cartoons at the time. It's very unlikely that there's significant quantities of cels being held by Disney.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
He's talking about Aladdin though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

He's talking about Aladdin though.

You're right. Those probably were held onto for a while, though cels were often considered to be disposable...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Genesis version is all folks remember but it would be interesting to get a release that has the SNES version too since it's so different and also really good.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
People can like the Genesis version more but I always had more fun with the Capcom platformer. :shrug:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Genesis version looks great but I think the SNES version is a better game overall

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It is.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.

Thanks for posting that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a better designed game but it's really boring. Sandwiched between Goof Troop and Magical Quest, SNES Aladdin is just kind of plain and straightforward. Bonkers feels like the natural evolution from Bonkers but even that game is nearly ripped off from Konami's Buster Busts Loose.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 10, 2019

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finally picked up a model 2 Sega CD in anticipation of the Mega SG. It also came with a model 2 Sega, but not even sure if it's worth putting back on Ebay after fees and shipping costs. Unfortunately prices on average since I started looking have gone up by about $40 and was finding it difficult to find one priced reasonably when the ebay discounts were popping up. Seller claims it's been completely refurbished, but is there anyway to test this on a modern TV? I see some AV to HDMI things on Amazon, but will they work? Not necessarily worried about lag or getting a good picture, just specifically for testing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Most modern TV's still allow for composite input since it's absurdly common for devices, they just use one port of the component hook up for the video signal. You might have to have the others unhooked to enable it, but take a look at your television's connections to see if it's got a marking around the red/green/blue hookups for component.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
I'm in a similar boat with the Sega CD. After confirming that all my old stuff has been purged from my parents' house, I went to eBay and they're in the mid-$100's! I can only think of 3 or 4 CD games that really trigger nostalgia for me, and one of them is that Jurassic Park FMV point-and-click adventure...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a model 1 SCD but no idea if it works or not. I think it doesn't properly eject the dock, but I remember actually opening up the whole console and putting a CD in and it worked, but that was like a decade ago when I was more experimental. I have a CDX as well, which is God's preferred way to experience the Genesis.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

glad I beat everyone to giving a poo poo about the Sega CD since I'm obsessed with FMV trash tbh :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sega Cd made me a weeb so it'll always have a special place in my heart. Saw a full page spread of the nude scene in Lunar 2 and said "oh, I like anime."

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
Apparently you can buy CD laser replacements for $15-$25. It might be worthwhile to buy a "parts only" system and fix it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Tryke posted:

Apparently you can buy CD laser replacements for $15-$25. It might be worthwhile to buy a "parts only" system and fix it.

pretty much all model 1s will have leaking capacitors by now and will need repair work

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Leaky caps aren't going to be the big issue compared to dead batteries and melted belts. Most parts only/untested Sega CD model 2's will probably work fine if you open them and switch the fuse and the battery though. The model 1's are a more involved effort since changing the drive belt is annoying and sometimes the actual drive motor is dead, along with the battery being in an annoying spot.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Got the Sega CD for the sole purpose of playing Snatcher with a light gun.
I need to get a shoulder holster for the Justifier because juggling the controller and a gun at a moments notice is a pain. And shoulder holsters for toy guns are the coolest.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Anyone else who ordered their PSIO last March or so get it yet? I knew there were 1 or 2 others who ordered in that batch.

I got my tracking number on December 18th, but the tracking number just shows "Pending No updates yet" on Australia Post and "shipping label received" on USPS. Since it's been a few weeks of no status change I sent an email a few days ago and haven't heard back yet. Kind of annoying.

edit: NM, USPS shows "processed through facility" in Auckland a couple hours ago, I thought they were Australia based, not NZ based. Oh well.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

New year, new Games part 3:

Hey guess what? Today were gonna talk about Qix Neo!

What is Qix Neo? Some say it a puzzle game. Some an arcade game. For me, I'd say it's an action/puzzle game. I know I'd played the original in arcades many, many years ago and I must not have appreciated it as a kid because I can only just barely remember the mini golf/go-kart/arcade place the next town over having a cabinet. I got a copy of Qix for the Gameboy a few years ago and it's become one of my go-to games for the system. So how will Qix Neo stack up?

Riiiiiip!

This was a budget title and a later release for the PS1. I noted last year that it's been easier to find sealed games among those that were released late in a console's life span. No surprise, There are plenty of copies of this floating around. It also means it doesn't come with any interesting extras like posters and such. Just the basics, along with a lonely registration card that was never gonna escape that manual even if this had been opened shortly after release.

Title screen. Apologies for the blur. Yeah, I could just yank screen shots off the internet or find some fancypants high-falootin' way of getting pics directly from my TV, but if I was up on the latest technology I wouldn't be in this thread, would I?

The plot: Aliens come to planet Volfeld. They do bad things. You stop aliens with you funky ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AAzQ7saepU Gameplay vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvzyd0OZg1I Video of the original arcade version.

So like I said, most of my prior experience with Qix comes from the Gameboy version and 'm not going to compare audio/visuals with that version because obviously the Gameboy is going to be incredibly simple in that department. Qix Neo offers a bit of a departure from the original formula. Qix originally takes its name from the weird, mobile bunch of lines that chase your ship around the level. Your goal is (technically) to draw over as much of the screen as you can. The Qix can no longer travel in an area you've filled in. The only other hazards in the original are the sparks that travel along the perimeter of the screen and your lines, and the fuse that shows up if you begin drawing a line and don't finish it. You can draw fast lines or slow lines, and the area you fill in will be colored differently depending on which you choose. Shapes drawn with the slow line earn a lot more points but this is obviously much harder to pull off. The Qix can't touch you while you're just floating against the wall, but as soon as you begin to draw a line, you're vulnerable. If it touches you at this time, you die. Qix Neo alters the formula in that, oddly enough, there's no Qix. This is replaced by various alien ships: a large "boss" ship that replaces the original Qix as the thing that you're supposed to pen in, and several smaller, free floating enemies. These foes mostly bound around aimlessly, but they will alter course to get closer to you once you begin to draw a line. The slow line option is removed. You have a "shield" which acts as your timer. When that runs out, you're vulnerable even if you're against the wall I believe since I haven't spent long enough on a level to test this. There are boxes in each level that will give you points and power ups if you enclose them. These include lasers, which can shoot the smaller enemies (but not the boss), a high-speed power up, an item that stops your shield from draining, and a time freeze. These are all temporary except for the high-speed one, which stays with you until you die.

Compared to Qix Neo, the Gameboy version is baby soft. Looking at that video above, it's even slower than the arcade. That's probably not a huge surprise, and I wasn't expecting it to be a cakewalk but the difference was jarring at first. Now you have multiple enemies and they move fast right from the get-go. And the reason I said earlier that the goal of the game is only "technically" to fill in the screen is that you're not going to get far if that's the first thing you set out to do. Your best option is to take teen, tiny bites out of the board and try to separate the baddies and isolate them in smaller sections. If one of the smaller enemies is stuck in a section you fill in, it explodes. It makes your life a hell of a lot easier if you can take them out this way before trying to finish the level. Really what you need to be doing is dividing and conquering. Pen the boss in a small section of the screen and leave yourself a huge chunk of the level left behind a small gap that you can close easily. Skip to 3:05 in the original arcade video linked above to see what I mean. The player builds a horizontal stack of short, quick areas and then fills in a giant hunk of the screen above, where it's relatively safe from the Qix. That's the way to do it.

That might not make a lot of sense if you haven't spent some time with this game. And you should. Definitely check it out if you're a Qix fan and have somehow managed to skip it.

Cost: $15. You could get this for under $10 if you wanted an open copy but these are pretty easy to find in the $10-$15 range. Which I know because I spotted a new $10 copy after I already bought mine. :mad:

Worth it? :hellyeah: come get some weird aliens.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 11, 2019