Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hauki posted:

trump doesn't seem to value confidentiality much :thunk:

There's a difference between not valuing it and being entirely incapable of not talking poo poo to cameras.

He spends a lot of money on confidentiality, and blows it by boasting about the poo poo he did on twitter.

But this is not the place for that discussion. CSPAM is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

What about if you see a guy drop a pill into his date's drink? I mean it could be alka-seltzer. You don't want to be a white knight drama queen or hurt your tips. Maybe she forgot her medication and he's taking care of her

Come on dude. That’s not even remotely similar.

I mean, if you’re with your mistress or wife, the drink I make you will be in point. But you start adding your own ingredients? Respect the drink!

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
If a man is bringing his wife and his mistress to the same country club, then the wife already knows about the mistress.

Also, for those who insist the bartender has some moral responsibility to intervene, would that moral responsibility extend to, say, a jeweler? A shoe salesman? A clerk in a department store? Is there any level at which a service employee can just do their jobs without inserting themselves in someone else’s marriage?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
How exactly do people tell who is a mistress as opposed to a business contact, an old friend, a relative, or any number of other people that someone might be dining with other than their spouse some evening. Do they helpfully come in with red letter A's instead of corsages? Is there an intricate wink-wink-nod code where guests inform you that this date is not to be spoken about afterwards?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gegi posted:

How exactly do people tell who is a mistress as opposed to a business contact, an old friend, a relative, or any number of other people that someone might be dining with other than their spouse some evening. Do they helpfully come in with red letter A's instead of corsages? Is there an intricate wink-wink-nod code where guests inform you that this date is not to be spoken about afterwards?

Haven't you seen Goodfellas? Saturday is for the wives and Friday is for the goomahs. Duh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
News suggestion, OP: seduce the man.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
If people start fuckin' on the table, the woman is a mistress. If they go to the bathroom to gently caress, it's a wife. Note: in all scenarios, wives never cheat, because then we'd have to white knight for men and that's just gross.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

in my very specific experience, I've walked into a coat room to someone being blown by the mistress in question, or I've dropped the check off to "so when are you going to leave your wife for me?" which turned into them updating their member's marital status to "divorced" in our directory

also, it's because yet another member's directory listed so and so as wife, and then you see them smooching another dude in the alleyway that they don't know is under a camera. When that member fully came out, over 15 years later, the gossip was thick. I got asked at the bar, "So did you hear so and so finally left the closet?" of course I loving heard, we are paid to notice things. No I don't have an opinion or anything surprising to say, because I'm not your friend, I'll just say "Oh, really?" and then drop the subject.

nightly nopetopus
Feb 12, 2018

Possible Dexter.
Defective cat.
Thank the loving gods that the holiday season is over. Sure was nice to have a slow end to my work week. Even escaped an hour early, thanks to getting most of my close done before closing.

Now for two not-relaxing days of showing my apartment to prospective roommates.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I don’t know where to post this so I’m posting it here. Looks like I’m going back into full time servin after being semi retired. I came back on the first day after New Years to my career job to hear that our company had been sold and my entire department was made redundant. Same day my boss got her “ten years of distinguished service” award. I get to finish out two more weeks and collect a severance package while looking to start over.

AT LEAST I HAVE THE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY TO FALL BACK ON.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Brutal.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

nightly nopetopus posted:

Thank the loving gods that the holiday season is over. Sure was nice to have a slow end to my work week. Even escaped an hour early, thanks to getting most of my close done before closing.

Right? 120 hours in the past 10 days and I just accepted a second job for the 'quiet period' at my main job, I don't have a day off until Feb 3rd. What was I thinking.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Oh Jesus no.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate old people

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

I don’t know where to post this so I’m posting it here. Looks like I’m going back into full time servin after being semi retired. I came back on the first day after New Years to my career job to hear that our company had been sold and my entire department was made redundant. Same day my boss got her “ten years of distinguished service” award. I get to finish out two more weeks and collect a severance package while looking to start over.

Jesus, that's fuckin' rough. Good luck finding a new gig!

nightly nopetopus
Feb 12, 2018

Possible Dexter.
Defective cat.

Raikiri posted:

Right? 120 hours in the past 10 days and I just accepted a second job for the 'quiet period' at my main job, I don't have a day off until Feb 3rd. What was I thinking.

That's disgusting. Make sure to get yourself a bottle of something nice, after it's all over. That's what I did the last time I worked two weeks solid, just walked into the nearest wine shop and said 'I need wine.'

nightly nopetopus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 7, 2019

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

nightly nopetopus posted:

That's disgusting. Make sure to get yourself a bottle of something nice, after it's all over. That's what I did the last time I worked two weeks solid, just walked into the nearest wine shop and said 'I need wine.'

I'm thinking a nice 12 or 15y old Rum rather than wine, but that's the plan.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 7, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Raikiri posted:

I'm thinking a nice 12 or 15y old Rum rather than wine, but that's the plan.

If you can find it, Ron Zacapa 23 anos is hands down the best rum I've ever had. I've heard it isn't as good as it once was (I haven't had it in ages, all but gave up liquor), but I still see it on the shelves sometimes, usually <$40.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Am I in the loving r/relationships thread or GWS

I’m getting loving confused

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Am I in the loving r/relationships thread or GWS

I’m getting loving confused

What, you never slept with or dated a coworker?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Shooting Blanks posted:

What, you never slept with or dated a coworker?

Or drank away your problems?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Weird request, but does anyone here have a suggestion for caviar in the $300-$500 range? Mostly looking at MAKE NO BABBYS and CdC, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Like, per oz? Olma is the brand, I think. They farm raise Siberian sturgeon, much more sustainable that beluga, and the way caviar farming should go, imo. A 2oz jar runs ~$320.

edit: ran downstairs to check, we get a 250g tin for $470. That's the Siberian. We carry Beluga as well, but only .5oz jars for amenities. Those are $70/ea.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 11, 2019

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

TheKennedys posted:

This is fair. I dunno, I'm still actively debating it, but I just feel like it's kind of a dick move, plus it's not -entirely- spite, I'm pretty good friends with most people here. It's me, I'm the idiot :(

You're stopping and doing what you want. Make some good chow with those skills for your friends later :getin:

It's good hospitality.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Weird request, but does anyone here have a suggestion for caviar in the $300-$500 range? Mostly looking at MAKE NO BABBYS and CdC, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Where are you located? We serve exclusively Tsar Nicoulai because they’re local and sustainably farmed. The petrossian imperial shassetra by them is pretty baller but def not that expensive. I can look through the old menus from events I’ve been to, but I’m pretty sure we served Tsar Nicoulai when I worked at Lazy Bear as well, again because it’s the local & green choice.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i guess i fatfingered my thread bookmark away, oops.

anyways i got canned from my restaurant office job early december but they paid me through the end of the year so i took a little time to hang with friends, sleep, cook self indulgently, sleep, replay video games, and sleep. i thought a lot about what i’d been burning out on and a friend who works in design at a sign production company asked me if i’d ever considered working in sign production.

anyways, i’m a week into having actually escaped the food industry and i’ve started learning the cnc router and a bunch of other stuff and some of the gruntwork i’ve done i know i’ll be able to go see in person once installed at the appropriate job sites and say “i helped make that” which is weird and alien to me.

I also get health, 401k with matching, vacation, sick/personal days, and to join a union which any one of would have been an absurd notion to me but taken collectively is kind of overwhelming.

i’m looking forward to shedding all the shift meal weight i gained and just building up more stamina and strength and doing food things for fun again without “ugh this feels like work” getting in the way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Ex-google exec closes SF restaurant Tawla, describes massive problems with area economy:

Why SF Restaurants are Suffocating

I'd be curious to hear y'all's thoughts on this piece. Speaking from Charleston where similar problems are brewing, the stats and policy gaps being described are still shocking.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 14, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe massive gentrification from google execs are part of the problem. Also there's a poo poo ton of restaurants doing fine. Tawla was maybe not good/too expensive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

all else aside, lmao at their servers still making virtually double what the “lead line cook” is after all of their shared service charge etc. and dropping like flies while he sticks it out for two years

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe massive gentrification from google execs are part of the problem. Also there's a poo poo ton of restaurants doing fine. Tawla was maybe not good/too expensive.

Yup.

I mean, it's not new, this happens in any area that gentrifies so hard that the people who work the service industry can't afford to live and work there anymore. It's just faster in SF due to California's housing problems and tech salaries.

Jesus, though, paying front of house $95k and having them still whine about BoH getting 'their' money when the cooks are making half that. I wonder what their price per plate was.

Edit: Looks like $30-50.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 14, 2019

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I deliver for Sysco. Some kitchens are loving nasty as gently caress please clean them.

Thank you

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

AdorableStar posted:

I deliver for Sysco. Some kitchens are loving nasty as gently caress please clean them.

Thank you

I take deliveries from Sysco. Some drivers can't understand the concept of "no you moron I can't take a truck in the middle of loving lunch just because you're ahead on your route" please don't be that guy tia

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

I take deliveries from Sysco. Some drivers can't understand the concept of "no you moron I can't take a truck in the middle of loving lunch just because you're ahead on your route" please don't be that guy tia

My favourite was the driver that came and yelled at me because no one was there to receive the order at 6am and he had to come back. When I told him that he was supposed to have a key, and where is the key? "It got lost, I don't know, I had it when I left."

Oh cool. Let your supervisor know that Sysco will be paying for new locks, tia. (Seriously though, I appreciate my good drivers a lot. At my last place the Tuesday crew was loving awesome, unfortunately the Friday guys were utter garbage.)

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

Thank you

1) Sometimes they're just lovely at certain times. We know. We'll clean them between shifts or when we're in a good spot.
2) Not all kitchens are going to be spotless. Some of the most sanitary kitchens I've worked in are some of the "dirtiest."
3) Yeah, agreed. Gross. Just get two people to pull out that table and scrub the wall behind it for like a few minutes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup.

I mean, it's not new, this happens in any area that gentrifies so hard that the people who work the service industry can't afford to live and work there anymore. It's just faster in SF due to California's housing problems and tech salaries.

Jesus, though, paying front of house $95k and having them still whine about BoH getting 'their' money when the cooks are making half that. I wonder what their price per plate was.

Sounds like what's killing the restaurant industry is owners who are morons

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Coasterphreak posted:

It's honestly more annoying than not. You might get a route where you are scheduled to be in "X" place at the middle of the lunch period where they won't take you. (WHY WOULD YOU PUT ME AT JIMMY JOHN'S AT NOON) But that same stop might get like 100+ cases of whatever which you can't work around in the truck so you have a catch 22. Can't deliver to that stop at the time you're expected to be there (and being early but still in that window is worse); can't skip it without busting your loving rear end because there's too many cases for that stop to take off the pallets, not enough room to sort on the floor, and go to the other stops.

But I'm paid hourly so with me I don't give a gently caress I'll just sit and wait. Especially at that 8 hr mark where it's 31$/hr for me now.

Plan Z posted:

3) Yeah, agreed. Gross. Just get two people to pull out that table and scrub the wall behind it for like a few minutes.

One kitchen had puddles of who knows what and produce on the floor in their cooler that made me gag. I'm talking about those. Also rats. I've seen too many rats.

Fresh chicken is nasty too, but that's a truck thing more often than not. You'll have all your chickens in the bottom of a pallet but they're already covered in the yellow-salmonella juice even though you haven't touched it yet. :barf:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 15, 2019

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

pile of brown posted:

Sounds like what's killing the restaurant industry is owners who are morons

quote:

We had an employee who was terminated for embezzling thousands of dollars to pay for his cocaine debt, only to go on and be rehired into important roles at four other prominent restaurants that each, in turn, fired him for similar offenses.

no way that was the first time dude did it either and he'll be going strong for years

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup.

This is happening in the college town I work in. A few years ago, they let buildings over 3 or 4 stories get built downtown, now high-rises are coming in filled with luxury apartments for rich students and rent is jumping by the month. Local businesses are closing like crazy because nobody can afford rent on their salaries.

nightly nopetopus
Feb 12, 2018

Possible Dexter.
Defective cat.

AdorableStar posted:

Thank you

Truth. We pulled out the big thing that holds our two flattops, chargrill, and range today, and the disgusting mess of stuff and pooled/congealed rancid grease behind it was enough to make one of our newer cooks gag. It triggered his aversion to vomit, but strangely, not mine.

Also strange is that I haven't seen a single mouse or rat in this kitchen. It's very common for kitchens here. Maybe rodents don't like airports?

In other news, I'm drat happy when I get scheduled for midshift instead of closing, as I was today. Getting off work at 1930 and getting home before 2100 is sweet as.

nightly nopetopus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

It's honestly more annoying than not. You might get a route where you are scheduled to be in "X" place at the middle of the lunch period where they won't take you. (WHY WOULD YOU PUT ME AT JIMMY JOHN'S AT NOON) But that same stop might get like 100+ cases of whatever which you can't work around in the truck so you have a catch 22. Can't deliver to that stop at the time you're expected to be there (and being early but still in that window is worse); can't skip it without busting your loving rear end because there's too many cases for that stop to take off the pallets, not enough room to sort on the floor, and go to the other stops.

But I'm paid hourly so with me I don't give a gently caress I'll just sit and wait. Especially at that 8 hr mark where it's 31$/hr for me now.

The beer delivery dudes at my last bar hated us. Even if we were their last stop, they would still regularly show up at 11AM when there wouldn't be anyone there to take the order until 2:30PM.