Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My plan is to only mete out the loosest structure of the trip and have a number of options and sights to choose from depending on the area. Get there first, then throw a dart at the wall or something every morning. That probably just makes me lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That’s not a safe way to do it if you are with a group. If you are not familiar with japan or getting around big cities then you guys will be slow down to a crawl, get a data card and google maps

One major activity a day, and if you are a super foodie, dinner reservations every night.

If you won’t be coming back to japan soon, then

2 major activities a day.

Caberham’s choice:

One major activity a day, one minor activity with detours everywhere, one planned dinner for every other night.

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 11, 2019

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yup, 1 major thing per day (if that) with the loosest mental plan around it and absolutely no commitment to sticking to it. I can't imagine traveling with such a robust schedule - what happens to all the cool poo poo you find along the way that you want to stop and check out? Do those sorts of people just... not look at anything between their destinations?

You guys recommending that I just stick to Tokyo when I came over a few months ago was the best advice I got. I barely scratched the surface of it and most enjoyed simply wandering around suburban streets and seeing life drift by.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Really depends on the size of the group and what people like to do.

Families with kids can’t really stick around and loiter for an hour. Or old people. There’s a difference between not knowing what to do and sticking around for a cool detour.

But some people can make do in any situations without being too bummed out. Depends on the mood I guess

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no I definitely wouldn’t do more than 1 major activity a day. Just that I don’t wanna plan the whole thing out at once.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Not sure how much of a shot in the dark this is, but... does anyone have any recommendations for hotels/hostels/whatever in the Tokyo area, specifically anywhere that isn't super far from Waseda by train, for about nine nights in March?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Richmond Hotel Suidobashi? 30ish min?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

youcallthatatwist posted:

Not sure how much of a shot in the dark this is, but... does anyone have any recommendations for hotels/hostels/whatever in the Tokyo area, specifically anywhere that isn't super far from Waseda by train, for about nine nights in March?

There's a bunch of airbnbs around Waseda and Higashi Shinjuku. Higashi Shinjuku is 1 stop from Nishi Waseda on the Fukutoshin.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Richmond Hotel Suidobashi? 30ish min?

That’s like anywhere inside the city lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

My plan is to only mete out the loosest structure of the trip and have a number of options and sights to choose from depending on the area. Get there first, then throw a dart at the wall or something every morning. That probably just makes me lazy.

i bought a rail pass and made sure all my accommodation had free cancellation within 24 hours of check in and had a good trip.

wanna go back to hokkaido

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

On my first trip back in 2010 I randomly decided to go to Tanegashima, booked a hotel and took the ferry the next day and rented a bike, then hopped over to Yakushima, probably the best part of that trip. It's fine to go to Japan without planning much except if you want to do certain specific things that are very popular or want to take domestic flights and stuff.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kyoto:

Temples and shrines are generally open 7am-4pm. Jetlag can be an advantage.
The city is flat and on a grid, it's very walkable and bikeable.
Always carry small bills and coins, and Have Fun!!!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

I'm one of the stupid posters

You're a good poster, though :)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
My wive brought us to Tokyo on a surprise holiday for my birthday.
Staying with a friend at Kagurazaka. Any special stuff to do the next week? Looking for anything form alternative dance music event to special restaurant or art exhibition. Today was more a day trip just getting lost on the city and looking at peculiar buildings, old shops, eating in tiny restaurants. Something that’s always nice in Tokyo. We’ll also do a day trip to gunma, but other than that, not much is planned.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo japan.

So I’m at an auto expo and wanted to buy 2 tomi cars at a booth. The shop keeper wanted to bag the items but I already had a bag and didn’t want to.

She then wanted to put tape on the packing which I don’t want because it’s a gift.

After consulting her manager it’s

BAG OR TAPE

BAG OR TAPE

Like I already have the receipt who cares.

So I had her bag the items and left the store, had took out the toy cars and had my friends return the bag for me.

loving hell japan you always have dumb rear end situations like this all the time

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

caberham posted:

Holy poo poo japan.

So I’m at an auto expo and wanted to buy 2 tomi cars at a booth. The shop keeper wanted to bag the items but I already had a bag and didn’t want to.

She then wanted to put tape on the packing which I don’t want because it’s a gift.

BAG OR TAPE

BAG OR TAPE

So I had her bag the items and left the store, had took out the toy cars and had my friends return the bag for me.

loving hell japan you always have dumb rear end situations like this all the time

I just went out to the grocery store across the street for a lemon. They are individually packed in plastic bags. Then the store clerk wanted to put the lemon i another bag. I tried to explain that it wasn’t necessary, and that I had a fabric bag for this massive piece of fruit. But I couldn’t make it clear and left with my bag in a bag in a bag.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Holy poo poo japan.

BAG OR TAPE

BAG OR TAPE

If it’s insistent then just take the bag.

Also this is balanced by JR’s NewDays now installing self-checkout for Suica/電子マネー where you can walk out without a receipt or bag at all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mrfart posted:

My wive brought us to Tokyo on a surprise holiday for my birthday.
Staying with a friend at Kagurazaka. Any special stuff to do the next week? Looking for anything form alternative dance music event to special restaurant or art exhibition. Today was more a day trip just getting lost on the city and looking at peculiar buildings, old shops, eating in tiny restaurants. Something that’s always nice in Tokyo. We’ll also do a day trip to gunma, but other than that, not much is planned.

You're in luck, Kagurazaka has some of the best restaurants in Tokyo.

This is an excellent Venetian style Italian place: Restaurant Stefano - 神楽坂6-47, 照井ビル 1F - http://4sq.com/aePSrv

Really good French: Lugdunum Bouchon Lyonnais - 神楽坂4-3-7, 海老屋ビル 1F - http://4sq.com/dQjdFc

Pretty good izakaya: てしごとや 霽月 - 神楽坂6-77, 神谷ビル2F - http://4sq.com/9joEz0

And lots more if you feel like digging around a bit.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Stringent posted:

This is an excellent Venetian style Italian place: Restaurant Stefano - 神楽坂6-47, 照井ビル 1F - http://4sq.com/aePSrv

Really good French: Lugdunum Bouchon Lyonnais - 神楽坂4-3-7, 海老屋ビル 1F - http://4sq.com/dQjdFc

Thanks. I’ve been to the izakaya (I think). Since I’m from Brussels form an area filled to the brim with good Italian/Belgian-french cuisine, I might look for something Asian :)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mrfart posted:

Thanks. I’ve been to the izakaya (I think). Since I’m from Brussels form an area filled to the brim with good Italian/Belgian-french cuisine, I might look for something Asian :)

Yeah, do, there's lots of good ones I just never think to keep track of them.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
So it seems my Dad has a shitload of Amex points he's never going to use and is happy to give enough to my wife and I for round trip first class tickets to Tokyo from the US on ANA as a birthday(s)/anniversary gift. Obviously I'm over the moon, and have started looking at heading there around late October until mid-November. Still in early stages of planning, but is there any reason why that wouldn't be a good time to go? I haven't found any yet.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure that's the perfect time to go. Not too hot, not too cold, autumn foliage, most things that close for the winter are still open.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan's packaging autism is incredible sometimes. I bought cookies once and I had to go through six layers of plastic to get to a cookie (each individually wrapped, naturally).

peanut posted:

Always carry small bills and coins, and Have Fun!!!!

Yeah. All over but especially I noticed in Kyoto there are little street shops in back alleys that sell cool handmade stuff that makes great souvenirs, and they're all self service stores. Usually take what you want for 100 yen each, there's a box to put your coins in. It's really good to always have a pocket of 100s/500s with you for that kind of thing.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

Usually for stuff like this I just let them go through the process. It's sort of a Japanese face thing: by demanding that they do not add five layers of packaging, you sort of aren't letting them do their job. And it's indirectly meiwaku.

It's like the exact opposite of Chinese face.

Less effort than trying to correct it.

The actual issue with Omiyage sets, craft items, etc. is that basically the same ones appear in every tourist area in Japan. The only difference is that somebody slapped a different prefecture onto the box, or used a different food coloring. It's a lot of effort trying to find the food box sets that are actually really good -- and then for craft items I end up in decision paralysis because I don't actually *need* anything and the things that I do want I'd rather have really high handmade quality.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I tell people not to package poo poo all the time.

Cabe you can get the tape and then take it off literally the second you leave the store ITS NOT HARD

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Foreign Substance posted:

Pretty sure that's the perfect time to go. Not too hot, not too cold, autumn foliage, most things that close for the winter are still open.

Sweet! Thank you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

October festivals in Ehime, Kagawa and Hyogo!!!

October 14-15 Himeji
https://www.japan.travel/en/spot/26/

All Hyogo super map! Early/mid October
http://prosv3.tok2.com/~oosio315/map-hyogo.htm

October 13-15 Saijo, Ehime
http://www.saijomatsuri.jp

October 16-18 Niihama, Ehime
https://ohmatsuri.com/en/articles/ehime-niihama-taiko

well heck just look at https://ohmatsuri.com/en/ !
The 2019 dates aren't ready for many events, so browse 2018 instead.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That’s not how face works

LimburgLimbo posted:

I tell people not to package poo poo all the time.

Cabe you can get the tape and then take it off literally the second you leave the store ITS NOT HARD

I did have my friend return the bag because that’s less effort for me there :downsrim

Someone else said I should just snatch and grab and put everything Into my backpack and give them a quick stern stare and gtfo.

But in that situation the booth greeter who was not involved with the situation saw everything and chuckled.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I really have to thank you all and this thread.

Team lab planets was very fun and I can’t wait to go again and see borderless

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

That Italian place has cooking lessons? That's cool :eyepop:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bofast posted:

That Italian place has cooking lessons? That's cool :eyepop:

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised, the chef is a super cool guy.

Nekodeev
Sep 6, 2003
*Yawn*
back again, I think I've settled on adjusted schedule now
of Adding a night in Aomori
Not doing Lake Tazawa
Going from Akita --> Kanazawa (two transfers via Shinkansen - looks like a route I haven't gone before)
One or two nights there
Kanazawa -> Gero or Takayama Onsen
One or two nights there (depending on whether if I used that time in Kanazawa)
Then onto Osaka for 5 nights until 2 nights in the fuji five lakes area, which has some fun transfers by train but should be doable
then resume booked schedule

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kaiyukan all day

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

just drink and watch the sardines and laugh at the
mambo

Nekodeev
Sep 6, 2003
*Yawn*

peanut posted:

just drink and watch the sardines and laugh at the
mambo

I love aquariums so I'm really looking forward to checking it out.
Looking at the Ryokan Yunoshimakan too, seems like a nice relaxing option.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some of the best seafood I've ever had was just wandering the big central market in Kanazawa and eating things. A lot of the fish sellers have fresh sashimi.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
So I'll be finishing up the semester at Waseda soon, and I've been so caught up in work that I haven't really made any plans for winter break. I have basically all of February and probably a few weeks in March free; I'll probably hang out around Tokyo for a while and do some day trips, but it'd be nice to slap together a plan to travel around the country for at least a week or two.

I've never been outside the capital before and so I don't quite know where to look, especially because I'm fine with skipping out on the more tourist-y, well-known places if people have other recommendations. I'm on a college student budget and I have no luxurious goals in mind - my primary ideas are to a) hike and see some pretty nature and b) stuff my face with as much good food as possible. I'm fine with scrimping on other aspects if it means I get to focus on those two. Maybe a stay at an onsen/ryokan would be nice, too, if I could find an available and affordable one. I can read and speak well enough to chat, ask for directions, etc., so I'm not too worried about the language barrier, and I have no particular interest in nerd stuff besides Ghibli.

So yeah, any advice?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A lot of naturey places are closed in winter but I would put in a vote for Nagano. Lake Suwa up to Matsumoto is cheap, chill, has good food, very pretty. I liked it a lot and it's a nice change of pace from Tokyo. The highway bus from Shinjuku to Matsumoto is about three hours, it's better than the local trains.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

youcallthatatwist posted:

So I'll be finishing up the semester at Waseda soon, and I've been so caught up in work that I haven't really made any plans for winter break. I have basically all of February and probably a few weeks in March free; I'll probably hang out around Tokyo for a while and do some day trips, but it'd be nice to slap together a plan to travel around the country for at least a week or two.

I've never been outside the capital before and so I don't quite know where to look, especially because I'm fine with skipping out on the more tourist-y, well-known places if people have other recommendations. I'm on a college student budget and I have no luxurious goals in mind - my primary ideas are to a) hike and see some pretty nature and b) stuff my face with as much good food as possible. I'm fine with scrimping on other aspects if it means I get to focus on those two. Maybe a stay at an onsen/ryokan would be nice, too, if I could find an available and affordable one. I can read and speak well enough to chat, ask for directions, etc., so I'm not too worried about the language barrier, and I have no particular interest in nerd stuff besides Ghibli.

So yeah, any advice?

Skip the ryokan "experience" and find a minshuku wherever you are going that is highly rated. You can even find some that have onsen as well.

Unfortunately I havent been to any specifically in central Nagano, but I know a couple in Gifu.

Grand Fromage posted:

Some of the best seafood I've ever had was just wandering the big central market in Kanazawa and eating things. A lot of the fish sellers have fresh sashimi.
Yeah, the Kaitenzushi in Kanazawa already has really good fish. The only thing better in Tokyo at anywhere near prices is probably Bluefin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

When you say budget onsen the first thing that comes to mind are any of the Itoen Hotels. The facilities are pretty classic bubble-era onsen resort and they tend to host lots of tour groups, but it's pretty hard to beat 7800 yen per person for onsen, buffet dinner that includes nomihodai, and breakfast. Same price even if you stay alone, too.

If your interest in Ghibli is only passing consider skipping the museum and instead seeing the Nihon TV clock in Shiodome, which was designed by Hayao Miyazaki.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 12, 2019