Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

As a Mk7 GTI owner, I definitely know the differences, but for mid-30s I would find it hard to choose a Golf R over a Focus RS. I know the RS has had issues with the head gasket(?) recall or whatever, and its definitely more boy-racer, but that's where I'd put my 35 grand.

As someone who daily drives an RS on Michigan roads, sometimes i regret not going for the R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

As a Mk7 GTI owner, I definitely know the differences, but for mid-30s I would find it hard to choose a Golf R over a Focus RS. I know the RS has had issues with the head gasket(?) recall or whatever, and its definitely more boy-racer, but that's where I'd put my 35 grand.

Yeah, I'm having a tough time choosing between a used Golf R and a new GTI. The Focus RS just seems way too boy-racerish. Maybe if it were my only car, but I'm not sure I want that harsh suspension every day.

I'm also now looking at BMW wagons so :shrug:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

The Focus RS just seems way too boy-racerish.

I'm also now looking at BMW wagons so :shrug:
That's why I chose the GTI over the Focus ST when I got mine.

And I've seen you over in the BMW thread. A wagon with a stick wouldn't be a bad choice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

That's why I chose the GTI over the Focus ST when I got mine.

And I've seen you over in the BMW thread. A wagon with a stick wouldn't be a bad choice.

The problem I'm having is that manual wagons are like unicorns, and the more recent cars (say 2015+) are only available with automatics. I may have to settle and keep the stick on the fun car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
All of the Focus RS's I've seen on the used market are more than I want to pay. Except for a couple salvage title ones for sale in Salt Lake. They're still listed for $30k though. There's one locally that I might go take a look at just to drive one. Maybe I'll like it and throw them into consideration too.

As a dealer, why the hell wouldn't you remove that graphic?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've seen ones with like 2000 miles around me for $30k. Makes me feel like a sucker for buying new.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Huge Midget DD's his.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I DD mine if you can call working from home "daily."

It's fine for around town but I wouldn't want to drive across the state in it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I regularly drive a couple hundred miles a weekend into the mountains to snowboard with a few longer distance weekend trips planned to. That doesn't change a ton in the summer, but to hike and bike instead. My current work commute is only 5 miles each way though...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

I regularly drive a couple hundred miles a weekend into the mountains to snowboard with a few longer distance weekend trips planned to. That doesn't change a ton in the summer, but to hike and bike instead. My current work commute is only 5 miles each way though...

If you're driving into the mountains, it would be pretty fun. If you're driving on the interstate, it's miserable. I take my Stinger when I go on road trips, even though it's leased.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

KillHour posted:

If you're driving into the mountains, it would be pretty fun. If you're driving on the interstate, it's miserable. I take my Stinger when I go on road trips, even though it's leased.

I'd guess a lot of the trips into the mountains would be in heavy traffic, especially during ski season.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

the only time i long haul in the RS is on the way to the track and it's not terrible but it's also not great. I would never try to drive to florida in it. Also spare wheels always. Stupid 19 inch wheels and potholes.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I have an RS that I “daily” twice a week when my wife and I aren’t carpooling. It’s supposed flaws are blow out of proportion. The head gasket issue is being taken care of under warranty, the ride is stiff, but supposedly there are revised dampers on the late 17s and all of the 18s that go a long way towards fixing the harsh ride. Otherwise the car is loving amazing and I doubt anything this side of $150k drives half as well and gives you a stupid poo poo eating grin every time you drive it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

I have an RS that I “daily” twice a week when my wife and I aren’t carpooling. It’s supposed flaws are blow out of proportion. The head gasket issue is being taken care of under warranty, the ride is stiff, but supposedly there are revised dampers on the late 17s and all of the 18s that go a long way towards fixing the harsh ride. Otherwise the car is loving amazing and I doubt anything this side of $150k drives half as well and gives you a stupid poo poo eating grin every time you drive it.

man that number is easy m2, gt350, zl1 1l, corvette grand sport... like real easy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
a gt3 fits in there, also

also, the type r is pretty drat good, but everyone wants to poo poo on it because of what it looks like or what the spec sheet says for driven wheels because they can't say much else

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

a gt3 fits in there, also

also, the type r is pretty drat good, but everyone wants to poo poo on it because of what it looks like or what the spec sheet says for driven wheels because they can't say much else

i would drive a type r but after i sold the wheels cause i can't imagine how terrible 20" wheels are to deal with

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I would drive a one with te37s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm an anti-Honda fanboy. Is that a thing? I never really liked any of the cars that defined their "pedigree."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 11, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sure, everyone has their tastes. They are good at building simple, reliable cars that are rewarding to drive, especially for people that enjoy momentum cars. I am not a FWD fan at all, but I've found I really like the combination that Honda builds.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Stupid 19 inch wheels and potholes.

For anyone Golf R shopping, stay away from cars with the Pretoria's for this reason. They're apparently crazy weak and bend easily.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

i would drive a type r but after i sold the wheels cause i can't imagine how terrible 20" wheels are to deal with

They're more than a little annoying. The huge rear end heavy wheels are my only real gripe with the car.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i need to get off my rear end and sell my RS Forged wheels so i can buy some 17" braids that fit over the RS calipers

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

PaintVagrant posted:

I would drive a one with te37s

It's bizarre seeing pictures of it online (bad) and seeing one driving down the street (good) are for me complete ends of the spectrum. I would have bought one ten years ago.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve heard that putting in a tune can improve mileage along with horsepower. This doesn’t seem right to me. Is there anything to it? I’m coming up on getting outside of my warranty and I figure I may as well throw a stage 1 tune in my GTI.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

It's bizarre seeing pictures of it online (bad) and seeing one driving down the street (good) are for me complete ends of the spectrum. I would have bought one ten years ago.

For me, oddly enough, its the exact opposite. In photo's I think the car looks amazing(gotta love those TE37's as well), particularly the darker paint colors vs the white/red ones. But in person, they are so gaudy with all the plastic bits, extra spoilers and fake grills, etc just really stand out too much making it really harsh to look at.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

I’ve heard that putting in a tune can improve mileage along with horsepower. This doesn’t seem right to me. Is there anything to it? I’m coming up on getting outside of my warranty and I figure I may as well throw a stage 1 tune in my GTI.

its theoretically possible but once you have a bunch of extra horsepower its really easy to waste more fuel. do it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

100% Dundee posted:

For me, oddly enough, its the exact opposite. In photo's I think the car looks amazing(gotta love those TE37's as well), particularly the darker paint colors vs the white/red ones. But in person, they are so gaudy with all the plastic bits, extra spoilers and fake grills, etc just really stand out too much making it really harsh to look at.

I don't think it looks amazing in photo's by any stretch but it looks so much worse in person to me. I'm just not a fan of the new Civic at all and the Type R makes it even worse. I'll still try to test drive one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Warbird posted:

I always thought it was because MPG numbers are made toward a test (hence diesel-gate) so ~real world~ and what a car is sold with for MPG numbers don't match much at all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Warbird posted:

Yes, a tune can improve mileage while also improving horsepower because the tables they're modifying are usually 3D tables where load and/or throttle position are factors. The changes in play at low loads don't impact the changes in play at high loads. OEM tunes tend to leave a lot of headroom for bad conditions, bad fuel, bad driving, etc, and this applies to more than just wide open throttle. Software tunes are basically just trimming those margins to gain better performance. A tune that assumes good fuel can be more aggressive than one that assumes the idiot behind the wheel just might fill up on 85 octane

Also efficiency goes both ways. Tweaks that increase efficiency under load make more power at peak but also burn less fuel to provide any previously available power numbers.

Some vendors, especially on platforms supporting multiple selectable maps, even have pure economy options that intentionally sacrifice performance for efficiency.

They can also just do more basic things like tweaking pedal response maps, and on automatic transmissions the shift patterns, which at low loads could be used to increase mileage rather than performance

BraveUlysses is of course right though, it really comes down to your ability to control your right foot.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 11, 2019

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Warbird posted:

I've had two non-idiot friends tune their mk6 GTIs, both had noticeably increased power, and their mileage... stayed about the same because good luck staying disciplined! It really is a delightful upgrade that's well worth it if you have the cash around.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The styling is definitely polarizing. But I've always felt there has been an extra strain of something to Honda hate imo. A little blend of racism (it's a Mexicans car!) Socioeconomics (it's a poor persons modified car) and sneering at fwd/small displacement.

It amps up the internet anti-honda signal more than it should - a long held sentiment that has been accepted without much analysis adding a hysterical note to the normal "eh, I don't like that car's weird butt very much" of seeing the CTR.

Thanks for listening to my graduate thesis. Nobody here is a racist/poorist despite you all driving Nazi cars :lol:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uhhhh okay then. :yikes:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Nobody here is a racist/poorist despite you all driving Nazi cars :lol:
New thread title? Mods?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i was really tempted by a golf R until the whole dieselgate fiasco :smithfrog:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

100% Dundee posted:

:same:

I think those pics look great.

Irl though, it's a cringey mess. I like the way new Civics look, but the R is waaaaaay too much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Your loss cause I made out like a bandit from dieselgate

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

The styling is definitely polarizing. But I've always felt there has been an extra strain of something to Honda hate imo. A little blend of racism (it's a Mexicans car!) Socioeconomics (it's a poor persons modified car) and sneering at fwd/small displacement.

It amps up the internet anti-honda signal more than it should - a long held sentiment that has been accepted without much analysis adding a hysterical note to the normal "eh, I don't like that car's weird butt very much" of seeing the CTR.

Thanks for listening to my graduate thesis. Nobody here is a racist/poorist despite you all driving Nazi cars :lol:

:wtc: sir this is a wendys

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I hated on Honda’s until I had a ton of fun in the passenger seat of a single cam integra on track. It’s definitely dumb car elitism and I’m mad at myself cause I could have been at the track ages ago.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PaintVagrant posted:

you all driving Nazi cars :lol:

Personally I prefer Mussolini-mobiles :italy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I love my Si but for the R I just cannot justify spending 35k+ on a civic, and it looks insane. If they came out with a subdued coupe R, I would consider upgrading, but the current hatch is just too over the top.