Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Today one of my players learnt that if someone with a lightsabre is trying to escape you should probably let them rather than get in their way.

Surprised they hadn't breached that topic before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solemn Sloth posted:

Today one of my players learnt that if someone with a lightsabre is trying to escape you should probably let them rather than get in their way.

Nah, you just shoot them with flamethrowers

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Azhais posted:

Nah, you just shoot them with flamethrowers

Or just have four people fire at them at once.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/12/5/heroes-on-both-sides/

Player options from the new book!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

*sees title of article* Welp. Guess nobody told them?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Regrettable association with a tweet from the fascist POTUS aside, it's literally a line from the RotS opening crawl.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Give us our old republic book :argh:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

jivjov posted:

Regrettable association with a tweet from the fascist POTUS aside, it's literally a line from the RotS opening crawl.

It also makes sense. There were heroes on both sides. Very few people in the Separatists who realized they were all being manipulated by Palpatine. Sorry a completely different shitbag of a president said something kinda sorta similar but it doesn't make it a bad quote.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hellburger99 posted:

Sorry a completely different shitbag of a president said something kinda sorta similar but it doesn't make it a bad quote.

You gotta admit though, the entire opening of the RotS crawl reads almost exactly like a Trump Tweet. Just gotta add some random capitalization, exclamation points, and a "sad!"

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
How do you guys use destiny points as the GM? I know that the core books give a little advice but personally I found it a bit unhelpful. I'll also admit I often forget to use destiny points (and so do my players), so how can I encourage both my players and myself to do so? From what I've noticed, when they do use destiny points it's most often to boost skill checks; I'd like to encourage them to use them for narrative effect as well. I know that they're perfectly capable of roleplaying (indeed, they do it every session), they just seem to home in on using them for skill checks.

And unrelated, but one of my players got a utility belt. What sort of things could I put in front of the party that they could use the utility belt for? I want to make sure it doesn't feel like a wasted purchase for that player, particularly as so far it hasn't really come up...

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Soup Inspector posted:

How do you guys use destiny points as the GM? I know that the core books give a little advice but personally I found it a bit unhelpful. I'll also admit I often forget to use destiny points (and so do my players), so how can I encourage both my players and myself to do so? From what I've noticed, when they do use destiny points it's most often to boost skill checks; I'd like to encourage them to use them for narrative effect as well. I know that they're perfectly capable of roleplaying (indeed, they do it every session), they just seem to home in on using them for skill checks.

And unrelated, but one of my players got a utility belt. What sort of things could I put in front of the party that they could use the utility belt for? I want to make sure it doesn't feel like a wasted purchase for that player, particularly as so far it hasn't really come up...

When they roleplay, are they contributing to the narrative? If so, maybe if you start forcing them to spend destiny points for the stuff they're already doing, they'll be more likely to think of destiny points as narrative resources and build that connection between destiny points and story, allowing them to come up with more ways to use them?

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I usually make sure the points are balanced between players and GM. If the GM has alot, I start turning a purple to red if I can think of something cool to happen on a despair. I find my players are more willing to use their points if they see me use them as well. When my players started off, they felt that they needed to save the points for when they really need it.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Reik posted:

When they roleplay, are they contributing to the narrative? If so, maybe if you start forcing them to spend destiny points for the stuff they're already doing, they'll be more likely to think of destiny points as narrative resources and build that connection between destiny points and story, allowing them to come up with more ways to use them?

That's an interesting point. To be honest I'm inclined to say "yes" with a caveat - generally the roleplaying does contribute to the narrative, but it's mostly in terms of informing how they respond to situations - I'd say a lot of how they roleplay revolves around them fleshing out their characters and their reactions (hopefully that's not too confusing).

Mechayahiko posted:

I usually make sure the points are balanced between players and GM. If the GM has alot, I start turning a purple to red if I can think of something cool to happen on a despair. I find my players are more willing to use their points if they see me use them as well. When my players started off, they felt that they needed to save the points for when they really need it.

That's a good point, and I'm wondering if maybe that's what's happening here - perhaps they think that destiny points are too powerful to be used in any old scenario. Hell, maybe I'm not chucking enough situations at them where they feel like they might want to use one. I'll admit that my own lack of destiny point usage is probably aggravating the situation (but then that gets back to the initial problem of how a GM should use their destiny points...). I might ask my players to see why they don't use destiny points too much.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
The best way to get my players to use theirs was to start using mine to do cool poo poo and drive home that the DP let me do it (as opposed to simple GM fiat)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I flip 1-2 to add random bad poo poo or complications to the current situation. In my current game one of these complications was the hyperdrive motivator cracking and knocking the ship out of hyperspace. That's all the point did.

Granted, their prisoner also used the confusion to escape (could have been prevented before it even happened, but a player flubbed the roll) and lock herself in the engine room. While they were slicing the door controls, they rolled like 5 threat which is essentially a despair, so they ended up unlocking ALL the doors on the ship, which released a score of 8 foot tall carnivorous bipedal birds of prey who were already freaked out of the cargo bay and into the rest of the ship.

It was a fun session.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Crumbletron posted:

The best way to get my players to use theirs was to start using mine to do cool poo poo and drive home that the DP let me do it (as opposed to simple GM fiat)

Fuzz posted:

I flip 1-2 to add random bad poo poo or complications to the current situation. In my current game one of these complications was the hyperdrive motivator cracking and knocking the ship out of hyperspace. That's all the point did.

Granted, their prisoner also used the confusion to escape (could have been prevented before it even happened, but a player flubbed the roll) and lock herself in the engine room. While they were slicing the door controls, they rolled like 5 threat which is essentially a despair, so they ended up unlocking ALL the doors on the ship, which released a score of 8 foot tall carnivorous bipedal birds of prey who were already freaked out of the cargo bay and into the rest of the ship.

It was a fun session.

Excellent advice, thank you!

Does anyone have any advice on this?

quote:

one of my players got a utility belt. What sort of things could I put in front of the party that they could use the utility belt for? I want to make sure it doesn't feel like a wasted purchase for that player, particularly as so far it hasn't really come up...

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
As far as I'm aware the Utility Belt item just gives you one extra encumbrance.

The Utility Belt talent is essentially for things like "oh, we didn't bring a <insert small tool of rarity 4 or less here>? It's cool, I think I have one in my back pocket."

Ablative fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 12, 2018

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Ablative posted:

As far as I'm aware the Utility Belt item just gives you one extra encumbrance.

Ah, I should've been clearer - it's the talent (I can't recall the exact name but I'm pretty sure it's named very similarly). Sorry!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Yeah it's probably the stupidest naming issue in the book.

Which is saying a lot.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ablative posted:

Yeah it's probably the stupidest naming issue in the book.

Which is saying a lot.

Until they include Jedi Master Baytes in a book :v:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve converted the Pirates of Drinax campaign for Traveller into the Star Wars universe and roleplaying system. Pick up your free, 148-page conversion guide right here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New sourcebook announced; its an NPC compendium

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

The announcement feels an awful lot like we're a couple more product updates out from the phrase "completes the product line."

Unless they're sitting on a sequel trilogy sourcebook.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

jivjov posted:

You're burying the lede: rules for Ewok player characters!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Claytor posted:

The announcement feels an awful lot like we're a couple more product updates out from the phrase "completes the product line."

Really the only things left for them to put out are: setting sourcebooks for other eras (not likely given Disney and canon, but one can dream), adventure modules (yeah okay but these probably aren't massive sellers), some kind of organized play (we're way too far past launch for that), or a second edition.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It'd be a duplication certainly, but I'd be willing to shell out for: a complete species/career/specialization/talent reference book (perhaps with some updated talent trees for some of the earlier, now-underwhelming specs and guidelines for making your own), a vehicle and equipment compendium, and maybe some other sorts of massive all-in-one-place tomes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Claytor posted:

Eh, I think a sequel era book is all but guaranteed, given the clone wars book that's on the way. They're just gonna keep pumping out these generic ones for a while to fill time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some of my friends invite me to play Edge of the Empire. I've never played a tabletop game before. I know generally how they work and everything, but I was wondering, aside from reading the rulebook are there any good resources I could look over in order to not be a complete drag my first session?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EVru6_zM5vhu14vzVrFQKQLqzygV4EK2/view?usp=drivesdk

I've given this out to people and it's worked pretty well so far!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RudeCat posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EVru6_zM5vhu14vzVrFQKQLqzygV4EK2/view?usp=drivesdk

I've given this out to people and it's worked pretty well so far!

you rock, ty.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

eonwe posted:

you rock, ty.

Hopefully you are just running the beginner adventure which does a good job teaching you how the system works.

Heres a cheat sheet for combat actions. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5kOH158hDlVcDZDOXl1bnV2SUE

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, the beginner games are incredibly good at that while still allowing groups to do their own thing. I think I've run the mos shutta one at least half a dozen times and it's been significantly different each time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Hopefully you are just running the beginner adventure which does a good job teaching you how the system works.

Heres a cheat sheet for combat actions. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5kOH158hDlVcDZDOXl1bnV2SUE

I'm running Long Arm of the Hutt. Hopefully that isn't too bad to learn on.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

That's the continuation of the beginner but, I believe. It still does a little introduction of mechanics. You'll be great! The dice mechanics may seem intimidating at first but in my experience it gets picked up fast.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

eonwe posted:

I'm running Long Arm of the Hutt. Hopefully that isn't too bad to learn on.

Yeah thats the beginner adventure part 2 so its a good starting point. I'd have a think about parceling out the mechanics if everyone is new bit by bit but if I remember correctly the first act kinda does that for you in terms of breaking down each scene to be about one mechanic.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there a separate thread for Genesys game talk outside of Star Wars RPG talk? I don't see one or maybe I am blind.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't know that there is, but the overlap is sufficient that here is likely fine.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'll just make a new thread because gently caress it, this subforum needs more dead threads!

With the new Shadow of the Beanstalk setting book out, I think there are literally tens of others besides myself who would be interested in Genesys!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Second Clone Wars sourcebook announced today...while the first is still lost at sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know it's been a while since i've actually read any of these rules books and since we have an infrequent EotE game going on now i kinda decided to reread the rules and i'm baffled all over again at how in so many of the skills they give examples of just "more hits=do thing better or faster" while randomly like with Negotiation or IIRC maybe Athletics it gives hard numbers and facts "5% sell value per hit up to a maximum of 25%" for example.

Also remembering that True Aim is bonkers broken RAW and why we introduced strain usage on it to begin with :psyduck: