Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah it's like an ancient element of lore about the shield covered pretty extensively. It absorbs all vibration and kinetic energy, just like BP's suit.

I dont think the vibranium accounts for the magical boomerang effect tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

I dont think the vibranium accounts for the magical boomerang effect tho

Just the opposite. If the shield did absorb kinetic energy, it wouldn't bounce at all because Newton's Third Law wouldn't apply.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cythereal posted:

Just the opposite. If the shield did absorb kinetic energy, it wouldn't bounce at all because Newton's Third Law wouldn't apply.

IIRC the shield has two parts, one vibranium, one adamantium.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

And Warner Bros. allowed the army to have multiple re-writes of the Man of Steel script. Shocking!

The difference being of course, that A) DC teams Batman up with Subways and KFC, not Lockheed martin or Smith and Wesson, and B), while MoS portrays the individual people in the military positively, the military as a whole destructive and impotent, accomplishing nothing but collateral damage, hardly a flattering portrayal of the US military.

Also, looking up the Avengers thing, apparently Pentagons objections had nothing to do with nuking New York, and everything with SHIELD being a nebulously defined organisation with unclear authorities over the military.

I have no idea why that's an issue for them, but there you go.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Vibranium is also impervious to the laws of physics. I think it's just one of those things that you just need to roll with, like eyelazers or organic webshooters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McCloud posted:

Vibranium is also impervious to the laws of physics. I think it's just one of those things that you just need to roll with, like eyelazers or organic webshooters.

Oh I know, I'm just pointing out that if you draw physics into a dark alley it's your own fault if it gets set upon by a gang of comic books.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I assume the shield is just magical Stark tech.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

McCloud posted:

I have no idea why that's an issue for them, but there you go.

There can be nothing mightier than the us military

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

There can be nothing mightier than the us military

Funny to think that they bristled at the idea of being led by Nick Fury or the World Security Council as if that's worse than the actual situation of taking their orders from whatever fool is sitting in the Oval Office.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The us abhors the idea of being subservient to an international body, even when that body is created by the us, see: the un and icc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McCloud posted:

like eyelazers

It’s actually a concussive force released from the portal his eyes became and he uses a psionic field to focus the beam and also negate any effects it would cause on its body. Also he’s always right and not dead anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can accept that in world of Norse Gods, talking Trees and sassy robots, the military and cops are not the giant pieces of poo poo they are in real life.

Too bad not a lot of people can make a distinction between fantasy cops and real one's

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fangz posted:

Warner Bros is the one with the cosy relationship with the US Army. The MCU famously lost their relationship with the Pentagon for showing the army nuking New York during the Avengers.

This is not true, Marvel have continued to work with various branches of the US military while developing their films.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

site posted:

The us abhors the idea of being subservient to an international body, even when that body is created by the us, see: the un and icc

Yeah this is probably it, it's unlikely they'd show the us military taking orders from some lame european with a funny accent.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s actually a concussive force released from the portal his eyes became and he uses a psionic field to focus the beam and also negate any effects it would cause on its body. Also he’s always right and not dead anymore.

I was talking about Superman, but you are absolutely correct, Scott was always right. So they're finally bringing him back?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah it's like an ancient element of lore about the shield covered pretty extensively. It absorbs all vibration and kinetic energy, just like BP's suit.
My point is that outside of any lore/handwaving, fight scenes in a lot of movies tend to feel soft. It's not limited to superheroes, when you've got actors whose face is insured for more than some countries, it takes extra effort to sell a punch instead of just punching the guy. WW made that effort and it paid off in spades, and that's why I was really disappointed with the ending because it abandoned that physicality for more traditional superhero lasers and other special effects.

How to explain it better... look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrdih26Dv_g&t=95s when she hits the tank she recoils just like it does. When she flips it there's bricks and bits flying everywhere. The sound, the visuals, everything is focused on giving that thing weight and as a result showcasing her strength. Contrast with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Avymog_CEQ&t=84s from Winter Soldier. The crashes were real (as in physical stunts), I'm sure, but it doesn't have the same physical feeling because the effort was put into emphasizing the chaos of the ambush.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

I can accept that in world of Norse Gods, talking Trees and sassy robots, the military and cops are not the giant pieces of poo poo they are in real life.

Too bad not a lot of people can make a distinction between fantasy cops and real one's

At some point it starts to be a little suspicious that cops and soldiers are portrayed as much more heroic than they are in real life in almost all media. It's impossible to not internalize at least some of that.

Bruceski posted:

My point is that outside of any lore/handwaving, fight scenes in a lot of movies tend to feel soft. It's not limited to superheroes, when you've got actors whose face is insured for more than some countries, it takes extra effort to sell a punch instead of just punching the guy. WW made that effort and it paid off in spades, and that's why I was really disappointed with the ending because it abandoned that physicality for more traditional superhero lasers and other special effects.

How to explain it better... look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrdih26Dv_g&t=95s when she hits the tank she recoils just like it does. When she flips it there's bricks and bits flying everywhere. The sound, the visuals, everything is focused on giving that thing weight and as a result showcasing her strength. Contrast with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Avymog_CEQ&t=84s from Winter Soldier. The crashes were real (as in physical stunts), I'm sure, but it doesn't have the same physical feeling because the effort was put into emphasizing the chaos of the ambush.

A lot of what you're talking about is just bad editing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

There aren’t a lot of sassy robots and talking trees that really exist and murder scores of people, so that’s probably why people are suspicious of the cops being portrayed as a net positive.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

The difference being of course, that A) DC teams Batman up with Subways and KFC, not Lockheed martin or Smith and Wesson, and B), while MoS portrays the individual people in the military positively, the military as a whole destructive and impotent, accomplishing nothing but collateral damage, hardly a flattering portrayal of the US military.

I’m curious, what collateral damage are you talking about? It is, after all, the military who end up crashing the Black Zero into the Phantom Zone.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man some of you guys must be fun at parties.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can we talk about Bumblebee here by virtue of the Transformers comics? It was good and wholesome and I'm wondering why they didn't do the live-action Transformers movies this way in the first place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bay

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh boy, mccloud is back to make the entire thread about him again

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’m not sure what’s worse, the thought of potential Transformers discussion or people responding in earnest to McCloud. Both are sure to lead nowhere good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

I’m curious, what collateral damage are you talking about? It is, after all, the military who end up crashing the Black Zero into the Phantom Zone.

There's a whole set piece dedicated to showing the military shelling Smallville in an attempt to subdue the Kryptonians, including Superman. During the Black Zero event, the air force also tries to throw some fighter jets at the ship and they end up destroying more buildings instead in the process.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

There's a whole set piece dedicated to showing the military shelling Smallville in an attempt to subdue the Kryptonians, including Superman. During the Black Zero event, the air force also tries to throw some fighter jets at the ship and they end up destroying more buildings instead in the process.

They don’t shell Smallville at all. They strafe the kryptonians once (after confirming that they’re the only ones present) and fire precisely one missile at Faora, which does limited damage. Compare that to the massive amount of destruction Superman himself inflicts. The military, by comparison, acts with due caution and restraint. They’re massively outmatched, but that’s to be expected because it’s Superman’s movie, not theirs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

lol sick

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Joke's on you. I don't even get invited to parties, idiot.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The average poster on this forum is a forty year old white dude with a Superman bedspread and a collection of WWE posters. None of you are even ‘at parties’.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m at a bar talking about the new Go Bots comic, and watching some old Mazinger Z cartoon. That’s gotta count for something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Bruceski posted:

What blew me away for most of WW was the physicality. The fighting wasn't gory or explicit, but hits had *weight* to them that often feels lacking in other movies. In the NML scene where she's blocking machine gun fire, the shield is vibrating and she's straining to hold it steady and even though it's clearly superhuman it feels real. The strength feels like it's coming from her, while in comparison when Captain America uses his shield it's magic physics-defying stuff (not limited to his movies and I love em all, just an obvious comparison).
The thing that someone on another board mentioned about films like WW and Mad Max is that it's not just that they show women fighting well. It's also that they show that fighting well takes effort, even for women. They grunt and strain and bare their teeth and don't make conventionally "pretty" faces while they do so. The counter-example being, unfortunately, a character like Black Widow, whose action scenes -- at least near the beginning -- were more about looking effortlessly sexy with the poses and pouts and feminine flipping and all that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Arist posted:

oh boy, mccloud is back to make the entire thread about him again

I'm not McCloud? What happened anyway?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

In the smallville fight their planes crash into the civilian areas.

The military responds to the alien ship in metropolis by scrambling fighter jets that fire missiles at the alien ship. Both missiles and jets are then deflected on to the civilian population fleeing for their lives.

The plan to use the black zero was a joint effort between Superman, Lois, Toby Ziegler and the military itself, and thus while using military resources it was not a military led operation.

Superman also causes collateral damage yes, but he is trying to contain it to the best of his abilities, and even tries to move the fight out of the city . He, unlike the military, is effective at fighting the aliens, even though he is outmatched as well. The military just actively make things worse by engaging the kryptonians on both counts

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I saw the same sentiment when the Spider-Man game came out and I guess I'm sort've at a loss for how to do it. If The Avengers or Batman or whoever are going to have adventures on our Earth, they can only do so much before "Where are the police?" becomes a reasonable question. So the cops are gonna be in the movie even if only to get dunked on by Captain America, right? But like, they have to be generic "We're here to help but out of our depths" guys to continue the Avengering story. If the cops show up and are lovely real life police and that isn't what the movie is about, then I feel like a disservice is being done. That's a VERY important topic and so having corrupt cops be a bit point in Captain Marvel would bother me. But I also do not want to see a movie about The Hulk taking on Blue Lives Matter. I want to see him punch out Annihilus or some poo poo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here with a shield for the feds. I'm just trying to understand how a superhero movie can bridge that gap without loving it up.

On second thought, I actually would like to see The Hulk take on Blue Lives Matter. Preferably with car boxing gloves. Never mind.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

They don’t shell Smallville at all. They strafe the kryptonians once (after confirming that they’re the only ones present) and fire precisely one missile at Faora, which does limited damage. Compare that to the massive amount of destruction Superman himself inflicts. The military, by comparison, acts with due caution and restraint. They’re massively outmatched, but that’s to be expected because it’s Superman’s movie, not theirs.

Shelling, strafing. Semantics. Just remembered that strafing plane ends up crashing into Smallville when the one big dude squishes the pilot. You asked for examples of the military's resulting collateral damage in the film, well there they are. I like how you deflected the examples with the good ol' "but look at all the collateral damage Superman caused in comparison!" I mean, yeah, Kryptonians are dangerous and clearly destructive. The movie doesn't shy away from telling you that. What were you arguing again?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why do you guys keep biting on the same, like, two dudes who come in here to argue about DC movies?

X-O posted:

I’m not sure what’s worse, the thought of potential Transformers discussion or people responding in earnest to McCloud. Both are sure to lead nowhere good.

We could always discuss MLP in the animation thread because of MLP comics and then the true nightmare apocalypse begins.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For the love of god, please reinstate the MoS/BvS prohibition.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Roth posted:

Why do you guys keep biting on the same, like, two dudes who come in here to argue about DC movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fK77uAyw8

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For the love of god, please reinstate the MoS/BvS prohibition.

All banned topics were caused by the same people, maybe remove the root of the problem instead of just creating another moratorium?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
<runs into thread>

THERE'S NO GODDAMNED ADAMANTIUM IN CAP'S SHIELD

<ducks, runs out>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz75IWt8YuA&t=2s lol