Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Radish posted:

FACT CHECKING.

Politico has been basically posting some hit article on her using anonymous sources every day since Congress started.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1083676914248757249?s=19

The fact these Democrats are so scared of her that they won't reveal their names while poo poo talking her behind her back is hilarious though. If DC journalism dashes itself against these new leftist politicans and drowns it would be a wonderful thing.

"AOC demands that Democrats actually live up to their promises and rhetoric, Democrats furious"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Buncha Regina Georges in Congress, imo

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
can't wait for the corbyn-cortez photo op

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Buncha Regina Georges in Congress, imo

Stop trying to make the wall happen. It's not going to happen.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

People absolutely can be activists and good legislators. Once again the establishment is full of poo poo and needs to be burned to the ground.

Edit: "You can't just ask someone why they're white"

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Yes, lets hear more from the old guard dems that spent 8 years getting their asses handed to them in every statehouse in America.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’ve mentioned it on here before but in August my mother died. My aunt is basically my only family left now. Just before the funeral she told me that she supported Trump, and actually the mainstream media are all liars and he’s doing a great job taking on the elites, etc etc, Qanon madness.

She’s never seemed this bad - and she’s a Californian lesbian so it’s even more ludicrous - so it really shocked me. And disgusted me. But she was very kind to me over the funeral. And she’s now my only family. On a purely moral level, you’re right, I should sever all ties with her because white supremacist fascists should learn there are consequences to their abhorrent opinions.

But starting a conversation that starts with “Trump is a horrific racist” finishes with my relationship with my aunt ending. And then I don’t have a family any more. I literally will not have anyone to put down as my next of kin on a medical form. I’m ashamed to say I haven’t started that conversation, and probably won’t.

As I said, on a purely moral level, you’re right. But your blasé attitude towards the possibility of cutting off family members is, at best naive and ignorant, in the middle weirdly arrogant, and at worst borderline psychopathic. Right or wrong, ending a relationship with a family member can be incredibly difficult and traumatic, and you shouldn’t so quickly condemn people for not managing it.

I have a similar problem. Only people I have left are my parents. And not only do they have terrible opinions, but they seem to vary wildly from day to day.

This last holiday topics they brought up more or less unprompted were (warning, this gets ugly): all black people secretly want to be white, gays are a lobby like the Freemasons and thus recruit their own to the halls of power*, Bolsonaro is going to clean up Brazil and when I claimed that if they voted for a man like him I would disowned them, they got all pissy for excluding them for having a different ideology (they said they wouldn't vote for him but really muddied the issue by saying that if they lived in Brazil they totally would have and Portugal would not need a Bolsonaro). My mom even made a bunch of excuses for Trump and when I tried to get her to admit she sympathized with his policies, instead she said she was essentially jealous of him(???!). And yet after all that once I went back home on the phone they are far more reasonable and laughing at Trump's idiocy again.

These two are the only people who care if I live or die. I try to make new acquaintances but how do I know I can trust them if things go wrong for me? If I lose my job, get sick? I notice people already avoid me as much as possible because I am depressed and almost never smile. How can I just ditch my only safety net?

Having so many friends and like minded families is a privilege, IMHO and people should count themselves lucky if they have the :sever: option. Not everyone does. And I'd wager not a lot of people do.

* Which provided that evening's crown Jewel of a quote: "is it just me or does Trump have some gay mannerisms?"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 11, 2019

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Were the 30's the best era for the Democratic Party? Was there a time, regardless of policy, that was more successful for Democrats? I mean sheerly in terms of the party

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

How can I just ditch my only safety net?
You don't need to ditch them. You need to help them by disagreeing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
On Wednesdays we wear pink (but will talk behind your back about how you wearing it means you're not serious)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of the centrist old guard see her as disruptive, but these are the same idiots that felt Clinton was their best bet against Trump.

...and still feel that way. Her or ol' Joe.

friendbot2000 posted:

A reminder that the GOP recently shot down a bill preventing child brides in Kentucky so they are perfectly a-ok with this

The Roy Moore campaign should have made this much crystal clear.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 11, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

Were the 30's the best era for the Democratic Party? Was there a time, regardless of policy, that was more successful for Democrats? I mean sheerly in terms of the party and not morally/legislatively/etc.

The major downfall of the Democratic party was when they abandoned the Labor power bloc. The Midwest used to be a blue bastion of impenetrable azure and then they tossed them under the bus in favor of corporatism.

i am harry posted:

This. The brain worms set in when there is no pushback. If there is no dissonant voices in the echo chamber that is how brainwashing happens. Keep disagreeing and providing evidence and slowly but surely you can effect change.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Guze posted:

Yes, lets hear more from the old guard dems that spent 8 years getting their asses handed to them in every statehouse in America.

Yeah that's the best part. These guys have been absolute losers for two decades with the notable exception of Obama that could actually use progressive messaging to get elected but man do they have a lot to say about the electability of others.

Lieberman of all loving people coming out of his hole to say how much he hates her and she is nothing repeatedly is hilarious.

friendbot2000 posted:

The major downfall of the Democratic party was when they abandoned the Labor power bloc. The Midwest used to be a blue bastion of impenetrable azure and then they tossed them under the bus in favor of corporatism.

It worked out great personally for the type of people these articles keep interviewing that don't give a poo poo if everyone else dies because of $500 a month insulin as long as they can leverage their political careers into fantastic fortunes.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 11, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

i am harry posted:

They have already given every indication that they will never trust my perspective. Whether it's because they think I am stupid, because I am their child, because they think I am insane or a doomsayer I will never know. They will even agree with me after the fact but only because they read something somewhere even though I had told them the same thing years ago.

Some people never get over the mentality of "You are my child, and thus I tell YOU what to believe and NEVER the other way around".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Lieberman nearly loving became McCain's running mate and scumfucked the Dems out a senate seat before that by running as an independent.

Why the gently caress we should take him seriously is beyond me.

Oh wait, it's because he's right on the purple fence and therefore 'the voice of the sensible centre'.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

Lieberman nearly loving became McCain's running mate and scumfucked the Dems out a senate seat before that by running as an independent.

Oh wait, it's because he's right on the purple fence and therefore 'the voice of the sensible centre'.

For the record, I'm not sure many people besides Lieberman himself believe this anymore. He burned a lot of bridges in 2008.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

His role now is to attack leftists on right wing media using his status as a former Democrat to make it seem like there is party disunity about these radicals. It's pathetic and also the future job of Claire McCaskill.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083579511889973250?s=19

She's so uncivil :qq:. Part of the problem for these people I think is she's highlighting how unpopular the average Democrat actually is outside of a situation where they are the only choice other than a white supremacist. Like for me Tim Kaine is trash but he was up against a carpet bagging confederacy fanboy so what was my choice there?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 11, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I've stayed out of it but now that the "ditch your family!" stuff has entered the second day I have to say: some of y'all take a lot of liberties telling people who should and should not be in their family circle. And I say that as someone who has been pushing back a lot more than I used to over the last couple years.

They can have awful opinions but they're still family. It's a ratio. And there's folks who I see a lot less than I used to, that I can't cut off altogether, because I have a duty to them (well, it's the only one of my parents I still speak to). People really think they're clever just posting :sever: all the time but in reality doing that in such a cavalier way because someone on the internet said so would be indicative of an emotional problem.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

This feels really weird, like it feels like it's both something that is extremely bad and also like, not particularly an immigration issue? Or specifically like it's the bad hombres murderers and rapists speech but now targeted at us.

Like "hey guys, just a heads up lots of immigrants are bad, just randomly mentioning that now, no reason" where it's talking about like, marriages that are legal both in the country they are moving from to the state they are moving to. Like literally these are just legal marriages in the states they are moving to. And like god drat they shouldn't be but this also sure seems like a "hey you know muslims marry children, lets strip them of their citizenship" on stuff that is explicitly legal for white people in the same state to do. Where the issue is "child marriage is legal" not that that applies to foreigners too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/DLoesch/status/1083097179550564352
https://mobile.twitter.com/Purdave12/status/1083552294371803141
https://mobile.twitter.com/R_Me_of1/status/1082819230754656257
https://mobile.twitter.com/mb_03110/status/1083055993469263873
https://mobile.twitter.com/unlimitedgeek83/status/1082922426311237632
https://mobile.twitter.com/jaybird5169/status/1083070607602958339
https://mobile.twitter.com/simplymelissaq/status/1083516968186056704
https://mobile.twitter.com/kstev99/status/1083093942063763461
https://mobile.twitter.com/RSHirst1/status/1082884579994804224
https://mobile.twitter.com/RichJackson21/status/1082979200875839489
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffKenney12/status/1083162770114265089
https://mobile.twitter.com/DottieKuck/status/1083108983261392896
https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff24k/status/1083006976945242112
https://mobile.twitter.com/Emankinne/status/1083066867869089792
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZiggyinHeavon/status/1083468808797339648

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Keep in mind that this is Politico, and leaking anonymously to them in order to pretend like you have more power or influence than you actually do is a time-honored pastime among a certain brand of Washington rear end in a top hat.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Missing out on cheddar biscuits to own the libs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is what happens when a Repubican is called on his bullshit on live television.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1083720033451298817?s=19

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

I've stayed out of it but now that the "ditch your family!" stuff has entered the second day I have to say: some of y'all take a lot of liberties telling people who should and should not be in their family circle. And I say that as someone who has been pushing back a lot more than I used to over the last couple years.

They can have awful opinions but they're still family. It's a ratio. And there's folks who I see a lot less than I used to, that I can't cut off altogether, because I have a duty to them (well, it's the only one of my parents I still speak to). People really think they're clever just posting :sever: all the time but in reality doing that in such a cavalier way because someone on the internet said so would be indicative of an emotional problem.
Most people aren't even saying to sever (Except in severe cases like dude who had to drink a liter of whiskey to get through 48 hours with his mom who was dropping the phrase friend of the family cards during a game) we are saying to push back even a little bit but y'all are so scared that saying white supremacy is bad to your yt family means they'll cut you out of their lives. which imo says they care more about your upholding white supremacy than you as a person and you've accepted and internalized it to the degree you can't even look them in eyes and say "you're wrong" (or via email, text etc)

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to a future where chuds only eat at Cracker Barrel. Maybe they can just change the name to Racist Cracker Barrel to make things clear for everyone.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

They have already given every indication that they will never trust my perspective. Whether it's because they think I am stupid, because I am their child, because they think I am insane or a doomsayer I will never know. They will even agree with me after the fact but only because they read something somewhere even though I had told them the same thing years ago.

Some people never get over the mentality of "You are my child, and thus I tell YOU what to believe and NEVER the other way around".

My father is like this tbh. He is a very well read man in history and politics, yet he voted for Trump over Hillary, and while he is not the biggest fan of Trump and thinks he is an idiot, at least tacitly supports his policies because he grew up in Southeast Michigan.He was here most of his life, saw the Detroit riots, and has some really just :stare: opinions on a lot of minority groups.

Like even trying to explain to him why he is wrong or out of touch on the subject just makes him indignant because he thinks I'm calling him stupid, even when I try to tell him he is way too smart to believe this poo poo. He watches Fox News always if there is nothing else on, and when I suggested watching other news to see if there is a bias, he turned it to CNN and watched it for like 10 minutes before telling me how liberal they are. I even told him as a progressive I don't even like CNN or Hillary, but he never listens.

This is a guy that voted for Bernie in the primaries too. I don't loving get it. We used to have really fun discussions on ancient history and go for drives. Now if we are in the room for more than 20 minutes together discussing politics it devolves into a shouting match, and my mom hates it when I'm over when we argue, so I just correct him and try to end the conversation as fast as possible. My mother even agrees with me the grand majority of the time, but my dad can't get over his only kid who he thought was so "smart" doesn't agree with him anymore (because a lot of his views of the world are outright bigoted and wrong)

poo poo sucks :smith:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 11, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Super-Id posted:

Looking forward to a future where chuds only eat at Cracker Barrel. Maybe they can just change the name to Racist Cracker Barrel to make things clear for everyone.

They already named it cracker barrel, what more do you want?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Too subtle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'm not saying the media is focusing on her because she's pretty but I am saying it's not because she has good ideas or how great she is at twitter. The media is driven by spite and sensation and she ticks a few boxes for them. The right wing is driving this attention way more than anything she is actually doing deserves and the rest of the idiots are following in their wake.

I think you have the causal relationships a bit mixed up. They are focusing on her because she has good ideas and good communication skills, indirectly. More specifically, the fact that she has those things means she is reaching more people, which makes the right/centrist establishment feel threatened and focus a disproportionate amount of energy into trying to smother her in the cradle.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

looking forward to getting trapped in DC until my family from Philadelphia can bring a howling band of raiders to retrieve me

Just make sure you've picked up your Eagles gear so Lord The Foles' Raiders know you are one of us.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are a lot of accusations that people over-focus on AOC over others, but I think she's just kind of the face of the coalition. There are 64 new Dem representatives in Congress. Here are my five favorites so far:

1) Rashida Tlaib
2) Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez
3) Ayanna Pressley
4) Ihlan Omar
5) Sharice Davids

I learned about Ayanna Pressley first because I used to live in her district and follow politics closely there, AOC second because her upset victory was in the news so much, Tlaib third because of the DSA, Omar because of a bunch of news about disgusting Republican attacks against her, and Davids from this thread. I'm just one data point, though. Maybe we should do a "better know a district" thread where someone volunteers to do an effortpost on one of the new Congresspeople every day.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he could eat his gun.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1083497306408787968

As someone who has to make serious cuts to my budget to afford a $300 a month prescription, I love this woman. Like, my prescriptions prevent me from putting money in savings. The system is so goddamn broken. My coworker has a son with Type1 diabetes and has to pay 1500 a month for the insulin his son needs to live. In Canada he would pay 50 bucks.

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1083085332655099905
https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1083715221036912640
https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1083483483253755904

.....holy poo poo this is good messaging.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Please do not take goon advice on whether y'all should continue having contact with y'all's families.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Most people aren't even saying to sever (Except in severe cases like dude who had to drink a liter of whiskey to get through 48 hours with his mom who was dropping the phrase friend of the family cards during a game) we are saying to push back even a little bit but y'all are so scared that saying white supremacy is bad to your yt family means they'll cut you out of their lives. which imo says they care more about your upholding white supremacy than you as a person and you've accepted and internalized it to the degree you can't even look them in eyes and say "you're wrong" (or via email, text etc)

I'm not afraid of being cut off personally, just saying that it's a hard thing to push so hard on strangers to do. You know I don't disagree with the spirit of what you're saying at all but I feel like that point was made already yesterday and now it's just beating a dead horse for some still flogging the subject. Anyway, that's all I had. Trump times have been revealing in not great ways and yeah, we have to stand up for what's right.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Listen cracker barrel is really good and they have a ton of healthy eating options and is very reasonably priced and it's fine as long as you keep your head down in the general store and just go straight to your table.

I can't speak for the quality of person they attract however.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"We kinda branded ourselves into a corner here" - Jim Bob Cracker Barrel III, CEO

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

unless I missed something, this is the first official closing

https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/1083734989127237632

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m kinda glad I have the opposite problem now, where I have a dad who we’re trying to stop from watching Fox News because he gets too mad about how awful it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Mordekai posted:

Please do not take goon advice on whether y'all should continue having contact with y'all's families. anything

ftfy