Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What exclusives are you guys looking forward to this year? Thus far this is my list:

Fire Emblem
Yoshi
Daemon x Machina
Luigi's Mansion 3
Town
Pokemon

Anything I am missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Animal Crossing
Metroid and Pikmin hopefully

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Animal Crossing Switch is about all i'm looking forward to. My backlog is massive so I should really not be buying any new games this year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought about TOWN randomly like 3 months ago and got pretty hype about it. No idea when it will actually materialize though.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Pokemon and Animal Crossing are top of my list, but i'm also looking forward to Daemon x Machina. Also on the very slim chance that Bayo 3 is this year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Over There posted:

Metroid and Pikmin hopefully

Unless we get a trailer for each sometime in the next month or so (even just capped with a "coming soon" rather than a set date), they're realistically not going to get a release date closer than December. If not 2020. Both of the announcements in 2017 amounted to "they're in development, shutup and stop asking us :cripes:" which could be anywhere from early planning to active development given they had nothing to show. That puts them on a ballpark timeframe where they're either late in development or MAYBE in early alpha/beta testing around now, but either way they still won't look anywhere near finished for several months.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Thanks for the Master Mode thoughts, y'all. I think I'll give it a shot, if it sucks I'll just go overpower myself or stop playing it altogether!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd honestly be perfectly okay with this :stwoon:.

Godhand, but Springhand

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Imagined posted:

Is the co-op brutal on the person who's good at the game if the other person is terrible at it? Because my young son and I couldn't do Tropical Freeze because of the shared pool of lives.

Just grind level 1 for like 15 mins to stack up 99 lives, a small chore that helps the other person enjoy the game that much more.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Animal Crossing Switch is about all i'm looking forward to. My backlog is massive so I should really not be buying any new games this year.

Same, and once AC comes out I think we can kiss goodbye our notions of trying to get through that backlog any time soon.

I'm gonna buy Into the Breach before a big trip I'm taking in May, and probably Mario Kart at some point to round out the fun party games, but then I'm set for the foreseeable future.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wildtortilla posted:

Into the Breach is so good. I still only have the starting mechs and Blitzkrieg. A few days ago I thought I could unlock a new crew but I didn't have enough coins (which accrue from achievements). I was really annoyed because I wasn't enjoying Blitzkrieg. But now they've clicked and holy moly. There are so many fun things to do with their hooks and boulders and chain lightening. They really clicked once I figured out lightning chains through your launched boulders. I corraled two groups of enemies, dropped a boulder on top of an emerging tile that connected the two groups, and finally zapped them all with lightning and cleared the entire map.

I don't know if I've ever played a game with so many fun systems to cleverly combine to pull off ridiculous strats. This game + the Switch is everything I ever wanted from gaming.

Well poo poo, this puts it at the top of my list of 'next to buy'.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is totally a knee-jerk reaction from 1 level of NSMBU and I may just need to adapt, but what is with Mario's walking/speed/walking on ice feeling? Are all the characters like that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

This is totally a knee-jerk reaction from 1 level of NSMBU and I may just need to adapt, but what is with Mario's walking/speed/walking on ice feeling? Are all the characters like that?

This is like... how every 2D mario game ever made feels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feenix posted:

Toadette specifically isn't but all other characters are. That's amped up to 11 in the Luigi campaign

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is like... how every 2D mario game ever made feels

Is it? It may be it's just been forever since I've played them. And it may just mean I need to get comfy with it and I won't care.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I've been playing a lot of handheld Smash and I'm just starting to realize how sucky the thumbstick caps are. Why are they convex and perfectly smooth when they should be concave and textured :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well poo poo, this puts it at the top of my list of 'next to buy'.

Ya! It's great and I figured it would be good but I wasn't expecting it to be this good! A nice blend of tactics and XCOM. Two of my favs.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Switch NES controllers work with NSMBUD perfectly, just gotta reverse the ABXY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feenix posted:

Is it? It may be it's just been forever since I've played them. And it may just mean I need to get comfy with it and I won't care.

It's a little bit different in every game, but momentum's always been a big thing that sets apart Mario from other platformers. (hell, even Sonic) The OG SMB if anything was one of the trickiest about it, especially since you don't get any powerups or options that improve your mobility. (like the character options in SMB2, the raccoon leaf and tanuki suit in 3 and the cape in World)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spellman posted:

The Switch NES controllers work with NSMBUD perfectly, just gotta reverse the ABXY

The l and r buttons can't be comfortable to hit for spin jump though

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

They better port 1&2 to the Switch :argh:

1-2 switch is my favorite fake eating party simulator

Spellman
May 31, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The l and r buttons can't be comfortable to hit for spin jump though

You never really have to spin jump though, it's more of an epic maneuver

The spin that extends your jump is accessible with the normal jump button, even

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Should I know who the hell that doofy rabbit with the bowser jr scarf is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ciaphas posted:

Should I know who the hell that doofy rabbit with the bowser jr scarf is

That's nabbit. He's a rabbit who nabs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's nabbit. He's a rabbit who nabs

1.) When did he show up

2.) Is it just Bowser Jr. in a disguise

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) When did he show up

2.) Is it just Bowser Jr. in a disguise

1. In NSMBU

2. No.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not a Switch exclusive but another game I am looking forward to is Lapis x Labyrinth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxnB92l9ryY&t=29s

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Not a Switch exclusive but another game I am looking forward to is Lapis x Labyrinth.

I would look forward to it but I still have no idea what it is

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I've been playing a lot of handheld Smash and I'm just starting to realize how sucky the thumbstick caps are. Why are they convex and perfectly smooth when they should be concave and textured :(

I like these, although I'm sure other third party ones are good too.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

That just makes me miss Maplestory mid 2000's.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

That just makes me miss Maplestory mid 2000's.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

hell yeah

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Same energy

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

New music for the next Zelda game sounding great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbf0d2UHLrQ

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXII and FFX coming out in April is nice and also I am upset about that. I never played FFXII and was thinking of grabbing it for the PC, but I'd way, way prefer it on the Switch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FF12 owns and its a must buy on Switch for me. It’s not the best FF but it’s easily up there with the rest of the good ones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FF12 owns and its a must buy on Switch for me. It’s not the best FF but it’s easily up there with the rest of the good ones.

I tried to like it waaaaaay back when it came out, but it didn't do much for me. What did it for you?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Don't listen to Ondore's lies

content
Feb 13, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does it lean more towards good because of mechanics, or good because story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A good job system in addition to the gambit system which I loving adored. FF has always had this kinda fun but repetitive combat, especially during the exploration and grinding parts of the time. Here with the gambit you could program your team to fight effectively against what you’re facing and just let the AI do its thing. It was really fun to not have to micro manage every fight while also setting up gambits to account for my weaknesses (item management / healing) while still having control to give direct commands during tougher fights.

In addition to the gameplay, I thought the story was really good party. The characters that compose your party are all cool and unique and my main dude Balthier owns.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 11, 2019