Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If they made sympathy overwatch a 1-3 cp strat I could see it mitigating some of the less fun aspects of FtGG just being a thing that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I might have a biased approach to my hatred of FTGG. I primarily play Orks and my roommate plays Tau.

Which means I have to headbutt FTGG. A lot.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong in battlescribe. I've tried making a supreme command / super heavy detachment for renegade knights, but can't select one as Warlord. The renegade knights pdf seems to indicate that one can be one though and take a relic. Am I missing something?

Edit - oh nvm it is it's own special questor super heavy detachment

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 11, 2019

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Out of curiosity, were flamethrowers ever actually used as defensive weapons in any past wars? I always assumed they were strictly for flushing out people dug into cover, and were implemented long after things like bayonet charges stopped being in vogue.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

I use two of these for painting. A bunch of people I know have bought them and not one person has said they don't care for it. You can get away with one but I love the added workspace two give me.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-C...s+led+desk+lamp

I picked up two as well, since I need a work desk lamp too. Really dig the form factor, and the various settings are nice.

My first thought for that 60 minute sleep timer is to set it, start painting, and stop when the lights go out.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah man, IRL flame throwers are a ground superiority weapon.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

I might have a biased approach to my hatred of FTGG. I primarily play Orks and my roommate plays Tau.

Which means I have to headbutt FTGG. A lot.

Those must be some absurdly long games

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Badablack posted:

Out of curiosity, were flamethrowers ever actually used as defensive weapons in any past wars? I always assumed they were strictly for flushing out people dug into cover, and were implemented long after things like bayonet charges stopped being in vogue.

IRL flamethrowers were mainly used to clear fortifications and entrenchments, but there were stationary ones like the Soviet FOG-1/2 and the German Abwehrflammenwerfer 42 that were used for defensive purposes, as well as British flame fougasses that were put in place in case of a German invasion during WW2. Ancient flamethrowers (Greek and Chinese) were mainly naval weapons.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

RagnarokAngel posted:

This might blow your mind but 40k isnt meant to be a simulation.

Meh maybe not a simulation exactly but it could make more sense in some ways. I have my own problems with charging (I think it's extremely dumb there is not a minimum distance for instance, and also that a fail doesn't move at all), and there are lots of other silly little interactions that make no sense.

quote:

Only if you start the charge within 8". Not your point, but that part of flamer interactions with the overwatch rule has always been an odd one.

Grunt: "They're charging us!"
Officer: "Right, but right now they're out of range. Put that flamer away. There's no way you could possibly use it in the near future, or just lay down a wall of fire now or anything useful like that."

But for this case the no overwatching when successfully charged from out of range actually makes sense for me. The enemy is on you before you have a chance to shoot at them with your short range stuff - either because they charge in super fast because they are interdimensional murder clowns (or similar), or because they took a gamble on the cosmic 2d6 that provides the inexplicably highly variable running speed in the 40k Universe. Seems about as right as possible.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey, what about this will-never-be-considered alternate to variable numbers of shots that used to be templates?

Still Assault/Heavy/whatever D3/D6, but the minimum number of hits goes up once for every five models or fraction thereof in the unit (starting at 1 for 1-5, two guaranteed for 6-10, three for 11-15, etc.) up to the maximum possible (3 for D3, 6 for D6, 6 for 2D3, 12 for 2D6, etc.). That way the more models are in the target unit the higher the effectiveness floor of the variable shots, but the total maximum isn't changed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Technowolf posted:

IRL flamethrowers were mainly used to clear fortifications and entrenchments, but there were stationary ones like the Soviet FOG-1/2 and the German Abwehrflammenwerfer 42 that were used for defensive purposes, as well as British flame fougasses that were put in place in case of a German invasion during WW2. Ancient flamethrowers (Greek and Chinese) were mainly naval weapons.

A lot of that also has to do with the portability and outright dangers of modern flamethrowers. They are bad juju in a line company where they can get shot and blow up.

40k's infantry both has them miniaturized and doesn't care about collateral damage.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Make flamers do 2d6 hits instead, and give them back ignore cover.

And if the wielder dies they explode for 2d6 hits on their own squad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Doesn't help that, even aside from the "no more template vs. tightly packed models" factor aside they've largely lost their bonuses against fortified units.

just make them auto max hits against units in ruins and buildings a la cities of death and be done with it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Doesn't help that, even aside from the "no more template vs. tightly packed models" factor aside they've largely lost their bonuses against fortified units.

just make them auto max hits against units in ruins and buildings a la cities of death and be done with it.

I hope this is an (optional) rule or something in Urban Conquest. I'm also hoping the two Baneblade variants that do Terrible Things to units in buildings get their time in the sun shade of the hive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's valid reasons to dislike how overwatch works. He brought in-universe lore which is dumb.

That's a fair point, but you jumped to the opposite extreme.

RagnarokAngel posted:

In universe logic. Im bad with words my mistake.
My point was that i can accept criticisms if they affect game balance or just generally being fun to play (and overwatch applies to both of those) but "they dont work that way in real life" doesn't really work.

Yeah that's reasonable

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Badablack posted:

Make flamers do 2d6 hits instead, and give them back ignore cover.

And if the wielder dies they explode for 2d6 hits on their own squad.

A flamer doing 2d6 is the opposite of some of that used to be a pie plate doing 1.

If we're amending rules, I'd love to see "flamers do 2d6 but cannot cause more hits than the number of models in the unit"

But I'd also love to see "battle cannons/earthshakers do d6 hits to each unit within 3/5" of a selected model in the unit which was hit, which cannot cause more hits than the number of models in the unit"

This would significantly change the game, admittedly, but is also a clear answer to deathstars, castles, bubble wrap, and whatever.

I dunno what the right answer is. I just played a game where my 30 plaguebearers tarpitted 1000pts worth of salamanders for 4 turns (at end of game, I only lost 10), and "my blob with no wargear cannot be dislodged by 500% of its points" wasn't a real thing before (see also, grotesques).

I should just play 30k exclusively, since it still has everything I miss :eng99:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Badablack posted:

IIRC the British actually used them as a defensive weapon on ships against dive bombers.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC the British actually used them as a defensive weapon on ships against dive bombers.

this has to be bs. Any dive bomber dropping bombs that is also in range of a flame thrower (best case range 100 yards) would also be in range of their own bombs.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BrownieMinusEye posted:

this has to be bs. Any dive bomber dropping bombs that is also in range of a flame thrower (best case range 100 yards) would also be in range of their own bombs.

IIRC it was closer to 60m, and it never actually got a plane, but German bombers would ditch their bombs really early at ineffective ranges because who wants to fly into a loving flamethrower. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagonda_flamethrower

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Probably the wrong thread for this but whatever. I've got half an old Dark Vengeance box of unpainted-but-no-longer-on-the-sprue Chaos Marines that I wanna get rid of. I've never shipped minis before, so if I stick them up on eBay I have no idea how to actually pack them. Any tips?

Tempted to sell my half-painted Dark Angels from the box as well but I might hang on to those, as I'm still interested in actually getting into this hobby eventually.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
On flamerchat, I'm ditching them in my Guard lists from now on. They just don't do the business against hordes any more and it's fairly easy to charge a unit carrying one from more than 8" away from the model carrying it. With the points changes in CA'19 I can run a grenade launcher with three times the range and two fire modes for half the cost, or for a single point extra I can take a plasma gun. Either one will do more damage over a game and are far more versatile.

Guess which special weapon I don't have any painted guys carrying? :doh:

E: also seriously considering missile launcher HWS now they've come down in points. At 15 a tube they're now more points efficient against all infantry and light to medium vehicles than lascannons. They'll still have a giant "shoot me" sign on them but krak missiles aren't as scary as lascannon and might bump them far enough down the target priority list that they'll get to shoot more than once a game.

Any thoughts Corrode or Namaryth?

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 11, 2019

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

evol262 posted:

If we're amending rules, I'd love to see "flamers do 2d6 but cannot cause more hits than the number of models in the unit"
That would work in 3rd edition style 40k when it was mostly 25mm base infantry, but now we have giant monsters that logically would get more than 1 'hit' from a flamer or blast weapon. That's part of the reason why Demolishers were trash in 5th edition+. They're still trash, granted.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BrownieMinusEye posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagonda_flamethrower

Looks like it never really did anything but might have had a psychological effect?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Drone posted:

Probably the wrong thread for this but whatever. I've got half an old Dark Vengeance box of unpainted-but-no-longer-on-the-sprue Chaos Marines that I wanna get rid of. I've never shipped minis before, so if I stick them up on eBay I have no idea how to actually pack them. Any tips?

Tempted to sell my half-painted Dark Angels from the box as well but I might hang on to those, as I'm still interested in actually getting into this hobby eventually.

How much do you want for them?

Also if they're still on sprue I'd just put them in a box, no packing

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TheChirurgeon posted:

How much do you want for them?

I'm in Europe, so if you're in North America, shipping would probably be prohibitive. If you're in the EU, let's talk.

What's a fair price? There's only a single listing for them here on eBay.de and it's wildly overpriced imo at 90 euro with no bids. And they're no longer on the sprue.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 11, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Killer_Bees! posted:

I am totally half way through painting my conversion for this exact model as well, please excuse the painting as its literally just the base colors going on currently!

I just used the upgrade sprue first on the raised hand and chopped off the plasma pistol and wacked it on the other hand and its sorted easy peasy. I also used the targeter on the backpack as the relic for the siege breaker warlord from the Vigilis book.

Thanks for this! (Also your half-done painting's better than basically any of my finished stuff). I've actually compared the upgrade sprue PFs to ones I have in my bits box and it seems like they're roughly the same size, although the arms are a tad shorter. I think I'll probably follow your example. I found a plasma pistol hand from a Mark III or IV sprue, so I think I'll just put that on a Primaris arm instead.

Plus I can use the unused captain arms on the spare Conquest Lieutenant to make a cool Watch Captain.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

adamantium|wang posted:

On flamerchat, I'm ditching them in my Guard lists from now on. They just don't do the business against hordes any more and it's fairly easy to charge a unit carrying one from more than 8" away from the model carrying it. With the points changes in CA'19 I can run a grenade launcher with three times the range and two fire modes for half the cost, or for a single point extra I can take a plasma gun. Either one will do more damage over a game and are far more versatile.

Guess which special weapon I don't have any painted guys carrying? :doh:

E: also seriously considering missile launcher HWS now they've come down in points. At 15 a tube they're now more points efficient against all infantry and light to medium vehicles than lascannons. They'll still have a giant "shoot me" sign on them but krak missiles aren't as scary as lascannon and might bump them far enough down the target priority list that they'll get to shoot more than once a game.

Any thoughts Corrode or Namaryth?

Guard do not get guns.

:colbert:

I did put GLs on my rough riders because its functionally a 1 point upgrade. And my heavy weapon teams are mortars.

I did put 2 GLs and a bolter on some dudes because i have 7 points to play with, but shooting from infantry is pretty bad, and i dont expect anything other than some minor trash killing.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The reason people spam mortars is that they're cheap for filling brigades and they can be effective from out of LoS, which helps protect them. By taking missile launchers, you're paying almost twice as much for the squad and it has to have direct line of sight, which means a stiff breeze can knock them over. 6 T3 5+ wounds is absolutely nothing and it's the exact kind of target something like a disintegrator loves. It sounds like "wow, my opponent will waste their shooting aiming at the HWS instead of my real threats!" but 63pts of dudes which can be knocked over by one Razorwing is not actually cheap enough for that to be the case.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Drone posted:

I'm in Europe, so if you're in North America, shipping would probably be prohibitive. If you're in the EU, let's talk.

What's a fair price? There's only a single listing for them here on eBay.de and it's wildly overpriced imo at 90 euro with no bids. And they're no longer on the sprue.

ah I'm in the US, so nm.

The DV guys are all pretty sturdy and unlikely to break given how they're assembled. I'd just pack them in a box with a bunch of newspaper and you'd probably be fine. Packing peanuts would also work, if those are available in the EU. Something around 40-50 euros is probably fair. Did you have the 6th edition or 7th edition version? (Did it come with the aspiring champion with the axe?)

Ironically, the most valuable part of the box are the chaos cultists.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TheChirurgeon posted:

ah I'm in the US, so nm.

The DV guys are all pretty sturdy and unlikely to break given how they're assembled. I'd just pack them in a box with a bunch of newspaper and you'd probably be fine. Packing peanuts would also work, if those are available in the EU. Something around 40-50 euros is probably fair. Did you have the 6th edition or 7th edition version? (Did it come with the aspiring champion with the axe?)

Ironically, the most valuable part of the box are the chaos cultists.

Yep, it came with the aspiring champion, so it's the 7th edition. Thanks for the tips, I'll toss it up on eBay in a few days probably.

Might use the money to add a couple things to the Dark Angels, or maybe for a Start Collecting box for another army. I like the idea of having just two "starter" sized forces around first before I start expanding in any specific direction, and CSM just ain't my thing at all aesthetically.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been somewhat interested in taking autocannons instead of mortars but I definitely see why that isn't a competitive choice. I just tend to see a fair amount of light vehicles locally and feel like the autocannons could do decent work if they're ignored.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Autocannons also have the fringe benefit of being the coolest heavy weapon a team can take.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Drone posted:

Yeah it’s the chaos cultists with special weapons that’s driving that price up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have a sprue of Chaos stuff from DV. How much is it worth?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have a sprue of Chaos stuff from DV. How much is it worth?

probably $60-70, if you want to move them.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

probably $60-70, if you want to move them.

$15-20 of which if for the cultist with a heavy stubber.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I got a knight dominus coming to go with my normal renegade knight errant. To those who actually see how knight armies play out...what would be a good compliment to make a super heavy detachment? Not sure which knights are trap options. (It's ok if it's kind of pricey, i'm not above ordering a recast giving how much i'm gonna gently caress him up with nurgle junk anyway)

Bonus booger knight in progress coming along:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this bad boy. Nearly done with my first model for 2019.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Pretty much done with Mortarion himself. Gotta finish up his base and the nurglings flying about.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting this bad boy. Nearly done with my first model for 2019.

Looking great! I'll probably have to break down and pick him up eventually, it's such a great model.

Speaking of great models, I'm putting together the snap-fits for Blackstone Fortress and they are drat impressive. Some of the multi-part layered pieces are particularly well done. I've decided I'm going to intersperse these models in between batches of Genestealer Cultists to break up the monotony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really love how every part of the model draws your eye into his face. Cool design concept.